What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady - Deployed (1 Viewer)

I was on his side in coming back, as he had retired to make his wife happy, he inevitably would have been bitter at her sooner rather than later once he thought he left some meat on the bone and Gisele was the one who made him leave the table. That said, it is clear that Father Time is finally catching up to him, and I am sure the realization that coming back for one more season not only affected her personal life, but isn't paying dividends so far in his professional life has to be brutal.

That said, it is clear that Father Time is finally catching up to him,
Why do people keep saying this? He’s playing great. He made numerous elite throws on Sunday, he’s just not getting much help from the guys around him.

He has one interception on the year lol. He’s been just as good as ever.

What does he rank fantasy wise at QB? Also the Bucs were heavy favorites and are 3-3 and have only scored more than 21 points in a game once so far.

Why do people keep saying this? He’s playing great. He made numerous elite throws on Sunday, he’s just not getting much help from the guys around him.

As good as ever? He is 15th in QBR and 22nd in YPA. If that is the GOAT at his best, that is an awfully low bar. And I get it, in the world of his biggest fans, when his stats aren't great, it is everyone's fault but his. Those badly missed throws to open receivers last week? Clearly his fault as the WRs should have made their arms 10 feet long to catch those balls.

But let's talk reality: Father Time is catching him because he looks old when he gets hit or knocked out of his spot at all. If he has time to throw, sure, he can still pick a defense apart as good as anyone, even with a few inaccurate throws, but when everything around him isn't perfect now, he often struggles. In six games so far, their offense has only scored more than 21 points once, and that was thanks to some empty calories against the Chiefs when they were way behind. I gave him props years ago for his toughness after the AFCCG in 2015 when the Broncos D hit him hard and often that game and he kept fighting back and didn't piss and moan once about getting hit; there was a sack where Von Miller had a free run and drilled him and Brady took it like a man and got up and got ready for the next play. Fast forward to 2022 where he is trying to kick players who simple tackle him (and don't give me this "he was roughed" song and dance, as everyone knows that was a terrible call). He feels old, so he hates getting hit at all now. And that is not a criticism. He is 45. Getting hit in a football should hurt a lot more now than it did at 24, 31 or 37. It's just not reality to say he is as good as ever.

As good as ever? He is 15th in QBR and 22nd in YPA. If that is the GOAT at his best, that is an awfully low bar. And I get it, in the world of his biggest fans, when his stats aren't great, it is everyone's fault but his. Those badly missed throws to open receivers last week? Clearly his fault as the WRs should have made their arms 10 feet long to catch those balls.

But let's talk reality: Father Time is catching him because he looks old when he gets hit or knocked out of his spot at all. If he has time to throw, sure, he can still pick a defense apart as good as anyone, even with a few inaccurate throws, but when everything around him isn't perfect now, he often struggles. In six games so far, their offense has only scored more than 21 points once, and that was thanks to some empty calories against the Chiefs when they were way behind. I gave him props years ago for his toughness after the AFCCG in 2015 when the Broncos D hit him hard and often that game and he kept fighting back and didn't piss and moan once about getting hit; there was a sack where Von Miller had a free run and drilled him and Brady took it like a man and got up and got ready for the next play. Fast forward to 2022 where he is trying to kick players who simple tackle him (and don't give me this "he was roughed" song and dance, as everyone knows that was a terrible call). He feels old, so he hates getting hit at all now. And that is not a criticism. He is 45. Getting hit in a football should hurt a lot more now than it did at 24, 31 or 37. It's just not reality to say he is as good as ever.
Well said. He's not playing like the GOAT, he's not playing like an All-Pro, he's not playing like a no brainer Pro-Bowler, but maybe as an alternate. Not terrible, but far FAR from his prime. Nobody is truly afraid of him anymore

As good as ever? He is 15th in QBR and 22nd in YPA.
And you think that’s because of him? I’m sorry you are simply not watching the Bucs if you want to use surface level stuff such as YPA to address why the offense is struggling. The LG is the worst in the league, the play calling is obnoxiously bad, they can’t run the ball, they spent the first 3 games without much of their WR talent, they have no tight end, the center is just ok and Fournette is missing the few holes the line is opening and he looks slow when he gets there.

It’s the worst running game in the league and they keep running it on first down, which is leading to second and 9s and 11s. Putting the offense in a horrible spot to try the throw the ball, especially when Godwin just came back. Teams are able to get home rushing 4 while dropping 7 back in coverage which is why an average D like Pitt could shut them down Sunday. There is just absolutely no respect for that OL or the running game.

Their EPA running the ball is negative, by a large margin while their EPA throwing the ball is 6th in the league, yet they still choose to pretend to be a run-first team. He’s still elite, the rest of the offense simply is not.

Some #Bucs data of note:

6th in dropback EPA/play
32nd in rush EPA/play

20th in neutral first down pass rate (42%)

Having the 6th ranked dropback game despite several injuries through the first few games and Goedeke playing as poorly as a guard can play is impressive.

The pass game isn't the issue. The refusal to rely on it until you absolutely have to is.

@atwalnfl

And you think that’s because of him? I’m sorry you are simply not watching the Bucs if you want to use surface level stuff such as YPA to address why the offense is struggling. The LG is the worst in the league, the play calling is obnoxiously bad, they can’t run the ball, they spent the first 3 games without much of their WR talent, they have no tight end, the center is just ok and Fournette is missing the few holes the line is opening and he looks slow when he gets there.

It’s the worst running game in the league and they keep running it on first down, which is leading to second and 9s and 11s. Putting the offense in a horrible spot to try the throw the ball, especially when Godwin just came back. Teams are able to get home rushing 4 while dropping 7 back in coverage which is why an average D like Pitt could shut them down Sunday. There is just absolutely no respect for that OL or the running game.

Their EPA running the ball is negative, by a large margin while their EPA throwing the ball is 6th in the league, yet they still choose to pretend to be a run-first team. He’s still elite, the rest of the offense simply is not.
So basically, it’s everyone’s fault but his, right? Lol

Hey man just say you don’t watch the team. Plenty of teams I don’t watch and shouldn’t have an opinion on. It’s fine.

In this case, yeah. Kinda.
He’s lost a bit but he’d still start for all but 6, maybe 8 teams.

Clearly a tone deaf thing to say. I’m surprised to see many friends on FB defending his statement - almost exclusively spouses of retired officers. (Which does provide a different perspective than most enlisted spouses)

5,316 yds and 43 TD at the close of business in January of this year, 44 yrs old when he accomplished that, he's had his 45th BDay since then...
You may be on to something

Everything you are saying is backed up with stats and I doubted it when I was reading but Fournette hasn't had a decent game since week 1 really. The coaching for whatever reason is not good right now and it extends to play calling and that shouldn't be with Brady and Lefty running things.

Bruce Arians was more important than many seem to realize even if there was some sort of behind the scenes brush up with Brady, and you were on top of that as well Cap, the actions of Brady didn't match with the media narrative that Tom was unhappy. I think we all know by now that Brady has some sort of exit plan to Miami and that did not go as he wanted.

The Bucs need to find a running game, Fournette is the right RB but I would like to see White more involved, think he has some real talent.

Was actually deployed via the USS Peleliu when Tom won his first Super Bowl. Was out there already when 9/11 happened. I never played in the NFL, but he's probably right. Playing in the NFL, making more than a Quarter %Bil in earnings, married to a Supermodel - is actually way harder than being deployed away from your family not knowing if you are alive at any given moment.
Was deployed when Covid first broke out and we were scrambling around trying to figure out logistical issues for re-supplies. Ate a lot of noodle pasta and protein powder for months. No way Tom could last a week with his special dieting.

It was a somewhat tone deaf thing to say, but it's a tempest in a teapot.

If the Bucs were winning, we'd hear less about: Giselle and the divorce, Tom chewing out the Oline, Kraft's wedding, Wednesday rest days. But they are losing, so the media has to gin up a story and turn Tom into a heel. We love to watch the powerful and talented get humbled in this country. And then, we love a good redemption story. So, when TB12 takes this team to the playoffs, the story will be how heroic he was this season.

I prefer my football a little less Khardashians and a little more Chuck Bednarik. I also think Belichick might have been Tom's best influence with his moratorium on social media posts by his players.

Users who are viewing this thread