What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady Predictions (As an Analyst) (1 Viewer)

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy
I've never found Brady particularly engaging in interviews or thought "I'd like to see him call a game." How do you think he'll do in his new job?
I think he'll be average at best. Just a guy. I know Fox is paying for the name, but I don't think he'll bring anything particularly new or fresh to the job to justify that contract.

What say you?

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Brady just isn't an engaging personality IMO. Plus, I can't see him hyping other QBs, which is a big part of an analysts job. League doesn't want the "he sucks" narrative. Not sure Tom can hand out many compliments.

I've never found Brady particularly engaging in interviews or thought "I'd like to see him call a game." How do you think he'll do in his new job?
I think he'll be average at best. Just a guy. I know Fox is paying for the name, but I don't think he'll bring anything particularly new or fresh to the job to justify that contract.

What say you?
I think he’s a little stiff, but his radio interviews on Westwood One seemingly every thanksgiving were fairly engaging.

He’d probably be ok. It’s all in how he’s used. I don’t want him calling the game, but if they use him to break down plays, I think he’d be very well suited to it.

Definitely an X’s & O’s guy, and he should be able to break down plays for the audience well enough.

But no, not as a color commentator or PBP guy.

I like him and expect him to be someone whose opinion I actively seek out. But I'm British, and our sports broadcasters tends to be a little more understated and what I'm sure many in the US would consider dull. The 'colour' guys, particularly those in the studio, I always find to be overly loud and obnoxious, desperate to have a hot take and more interested in making emphatic statements than providing any insightful analysis. I don't understand how someone like Stephen A Smith is even employed, let alone one of the highest paid, well known guys in his field. I've never heard him say anything even remotely intelligible.

Probably a cultural thing. Either way, I'm vastly more interested in what is being said, than how it is being delivered and I expect Brady to provide content I find compelling.

I like him and expect him to be someone whose opinion I actively seek out. But I'm British, and our sports broadcasters tends to be a little more understated and what I'm sure many in the US would consider dull. The 'colour' guys, particularly those in the studio, I always find to be overly loud and obnoxious, desperate to have a hot take and more interested in making emphatic statements than providing any insightful analysis. I don't understand how someone like Stephen A Smith is even employed, let alone one of the highest paid, well known guys in his field. I've never heard him say anything even remotely intelligible.

Probably a cultural thing. Either way, I'm vastly more interested in what is being said, than how it is being delivered and I expect Brady to provide content I find compelling.
Agree with most of what you said but Stephen A is actually a smart guy, I've heard him talk on other topics outside of sports. But like you, can't stand his schtick and have to turn the channel when he's on ESPN.

Dolphins Fan
I hated him for the 17 seasons he played for New England
Then he signed with my 2nd favorite team and started off 7-5, ho-hum and I wasn't digging it
He then goes on a run of 8-0 and caps it with a Lombardi Trophy for the Buccaneers
It was like something I've never felt before, a healing if you will.
Still sucked being a Miami fan the entire time he was in New England

I was shocked he signed for $375M, he's pretty vanilla but I will keep an open mind, I think much of his personality to this point for the public has been an act of sorts. He was taught by Bill Belichick to dodge questions for 17 years, he has a PhD in it. I think he'll loosen up in the booth. Brady isn't a stiff that I've seen when the curtain is pulled back, think boat parade celebration.I don't think Brady has to kiss the NFL seal the way others do, he's a legend and will be given a lot of leeway at first. I believe Brady will go to work on being a pretty decent broadcaster, no way he ants to look or sound stupid come Week 1. They would be wise to pair him with someone who has some energy and not one of these red wine waiters that seem to fill the play by play announcers these days.

But many are going to be rooting against him, same as always.

It's probably unfair to judge right now, as he hasn't had time to prepare.

No one probably thought much of Greg Olsen going into this gig, and he's gotten tremendous (and deserving IMO) accolades for his work. That's the problem though - Brady is presumably taking over for a guy in Olsen who is getting universal praise, so he's already got a high bar to reach.

I think most will like him at first and then over time, he will wear on people and be unbearable just like most commentators.

26 years from now, he'll win his 24th Emmy....breaking Bob Costas' record; and he'll cement himself as the GOAT of sports media.

He'll be an interesting one. I think that in sports like baseball; the poor or below average players have the ability to explain what's happening to the layman easier......because they themselves had to supplement their lack of natural talent with an intimate knowledge of the game.

Football seems a bit different as high level players have had the ability to explain the game to the laymen...but I just don't whether Brady is on another planet with his innate football ability that he won't be able to explain what happens well.

I liked Tony Romo when he came up. I think he's gotten a little cartoonish now. I do think he helped me see the game better in his commentary and I'm hoping the same from Brady. One thing though....I think Brady will try his *** off to have success.

What say you?
WOuldn't take that bet. There have been plenty of guys who you would think would suck and went on to be decent...and a few the other way.

I can't see him hyping other QBs, which is a big part of an analysts job. League doesn't want the "he sucks" narrative. Not sure Tom can hand out many compliments.
Tell me you've never listened to Tom Brady talk without telling me you've never listened to Tom Brady talk.

All he has ever done is talk up his opponents. I'm more curious if he's going to admit a guy sucks.

Dolphins Fan
I hated him for the 17 seasons he played for New England
Then he signed with my 2nd favorite team and started off 7-5, ho-hum and I wasn't digging it
He then goes on a run of 8-0 and caps it with a Lombardi Trophy for the Buccaneers
It was like something I've never felt before, a healing if you will.
Still sucked being a Miami fan the entire time he was in New England

I was shocked he signed for $375M, he's pretty vanilla but I will keep an open mind, I think much of his personality to this point for the public has been an act of sorts. He was taught by Bill Belichick to dodge questions for 17 years, he has a PhD in it. I think he'll loosen up in the booth. Brady isn't a stiff that I've seen when the curtain is pulled back, think boat parade celebration.I don't think Brady has to kiss the NFL seal the way others do, he's a legend and will be given a lot of leeway at first. I believe Brady will go to work on being a pretty decent broadcaster, no way he ants to look or sound stupid come Week 1. They would be wise to pair him with someone who has some energy and not one of these red wine waiters that seem to fill the play by play announcers these days.

But many are going to be rooting against him, same as always.

You nailed part of it…there are two Tom Brady's…the first one you mentioned, which is an underrated part of the Pats success…he was usually politically correct in interviews, not providing other teams bulletin board material or giving the media something to blow up with…in a market like Boston that is incredibly important where there are so many instances of players being distractions or the media creating a mountain out of a mole hill…Brady perfected not allowing this to happen and he was always 100% supportive of his teammates in public…the other Brady is a competitive badass who had full control over the Patriot locker-room…no one screwed with him and he had zero issues laying into his teammates behind closed doors when it was called for…the combo of these two Brady’s is right at the top of the list as to why the Pats Dynasty was able to continue thru many different iterations where the only constant on the field and in the locker-room was TB12…if he is going to be successful as an announcer you will see more of that second guy…Brady does not need the money (although he is getting a ton) and since he is maniacally competitive I cannot picture him not striving to be the best in whatever he does which is now announcing…I think people are going to be very surprised by what he is in the booth.

Last edited:
Off the field he seems more like a brand then a person. Seems like a formula for being overly careful, boring, tossing to many compliments. Which is about par for the course.

I'm going to give TV execs the benefit of the doubt and say they know more about the business then me and feel need for a big name announcer based on their research data, experience, etc,etc. From where I sit I never understood why they felt need to throw money at big names, instead of scouring for actual talent at a cheaper cost and as we all know whoever is or is not announcing a game is not a reason majority of us have ever watched a game or not.

The key to doing the job well is simple enough. Inform the public what's going on in the game and do so in such a way the 70 year granny watching the game on her own and some hardcore football nut both find what you say as interesting and informative.

They have a natural studio opening with Sean Payton gone. Better than forcing a booth move that would screw Olson over.
Olson should be on one of the featured broadcasts like SNF.

He’s the best they have right now. I’d rather have Olson solo than Buck/Aikman or Romo/anyone.

Hopefully in studio - not in a booth.
They have a natural studio opening with Sean Payton gone. Better than forcing a booth move that would screw Olson over.
This. And let's face it, the man has a face for TV. Women are a big demographic for the NFL too, I'm sure they will approve ;)
They already announced when he signed the deal it was to be their #1 analyst and move Olsen down to 2 so I don't think doing studio is part of the discussion.

He might do studio for the SB if he starts his job by then, but that sounds like it.

I was shocked he signed for $375M, he's
Zero chance there is a positive RoI on that number.

He won't increase ad revenue as the NFL product sells itself and there aren't $375 million worth of non-NFL fan geezers who will tune just to go all 80 for Brady.

Last edited:
Off the field he seems more like a brand then a person. Seems like a formula for being overly careful, boring, tossing to many compliments. Which is about par for the course.

I'm going to give TV execs the benefit of the doubt and say they know more about the business then me and feel need for a big name announcer based on their research data, experience, etc,etc. From where I sit I never understood why they felt need to throw money at big names, instead of scouring for actual talent at a cheaper cost and as we all know whoever is or is not announcing a game is not a reason majority of us have ever watched a game or not.

The key to doing the job well is simple enough. Inform the public what's going on in the game and do so in such a way the 70 year granny watching the game on her own and some hardcore football nut both find what you say as interesting and informative.

Agree about the $...not just for Brady but for all of them...an example is Maria Taylor...there was a big to do about her contract when she left ESPN for greener pastures...every time I see her I am 100% perplexed why she is making big $...what does she bring to the table and is there anyone tuning in because of her...there are plenty more examples of this...would love to see the spreadsheet that shows how Brady can bring in $ to make that contract worth it.

I can't see him hyping other QBs, which is a big part of an analysts job. League doesn't want the "he sucks" narrative. Not sure Tom can hand out many compliments.
Tell me you've never listened to Tom Brady talk without telling me you've never listened to Tom Brady talk.

All he has ever done is talk up his opponents. I'm more curious if he's going to admit a guy sucks.
Before he became "angry Brady" I would agree with you, but seems a totally different personality lately.

I just don't see him transitioning from being a great QB who got all the accolades to just another commentator. I think he will get bored really fast

Agree about the $...not just for Brady but for all of them...an example is Maria Taylor...there was a big to do about her contract when she left ESPN for greener pastures...every time I see her I am 100% perplexed why she is making big $...what does she bring to the table and is there anyone tuning in because of her...there are plenty more examples of this...would love to see the spreadsheet that shows how Brady can bring in $ to make that contract worth it.
Good point on the bolded. I don't know any football fan who will tune in just because Brady is doing the analysis. Being a great QB doesn't equate to being an engaging TV personality.

Football fans watch for football. I think Greg Olson is great but I'm not going to watch a game I normally wouldn't just because he is doing the game or switch networks to watch him vs a game with an analyst I don't like as much. It's about the game.

What say you?

I think he'll be worse then AIkman. Tom Brady will make fans appreciate Romo more. I think you'll get high ratings to start his career because he's a polarizing figure. The only fans who would tune in constantly for him would probably be NE and TB fans. You'll get the hate viewership of people wanting to see him fail but that only last for so long. I think 2nd or 3rd season in Fox will regret the deal.

Tom doesn't seem at all a people person and I think he's gonna make a lot of questionable comments I want Gronk doing actual games not a studio guy.

Last edited:
Looking forward to Menafee/Bradshaw/et al showing up to work with those "Bridget Moynahan On A Stick" things in tow.

what he did to that women is god dam awful. I love Moynahan as a actress and a former HS classmate who works in LA has met her on a few occasions. One of the nicest celebs he said you'll ever come across.

As long as he's not like Romo on Ritalin, it should be fine.
FWIW, I enjoy Romo as an announcer. He sees things and knows things that we could all only dream of. I don’t get the hate, then again many of you hate all announcers. Maybe listen to Mozart while watching games?

I love him. I don't like how he went away from predicting plays before they happen either. Only other guy I want hear besides Him and Nantz is Adam Amin. I'd love to see the Mannings do a few games of actual commentary though.

Agree with most of what you said but Stephen A is actually a smart guy, I've heard him talk on other topics outside of sports. But like you, can't stand his schtick and have to turn the channel when he's on ESPN.

He's a smart guy what I didn't like was when he wrote for the Philly Inquire was a 76ers beat writer. He was probably the worst of the media defending Allen Iverson when was here. I just didn't like it when I had Friends who had family members etc who worked in the city and associated with the guy and said how bad he was to deal with. I like the guy. He's better then Skip and Shannon though

I was never a fan of Taylor. I thought it was a ****ty what she did to Rachel Nichols who's way better at her job.

Good point on the bolded. I don't know any football fan who will tune in just because Brady is doing the analysis. Being a great QB doesn't equate to being an engaging TV personality.

Football fans watch for football. I think Greg Olson is great but I'm not going to watch a game I normally wouldn't just because he is doing the game or switch networks to watch him vs a game with an analyst I don't like as much. It's about the game.

The only guy I ever tuned in for was ESPN when Dan Orlovsky is doing college games. I learn so much from him. There was talk awhile ago since he lived in Philly as his wife is from the area the Eagles should've tried to get him to be the QB Coach or OC when Wentz was still here because he seemed to really love the guy and it sounded like both had a connection with one another. But he was already doing ESPN at the time and I think 6 months after this was when he signed his long term deal with ESPN.

Dan does a great job of explaining a lot of stuff and even watching the college game he makes it more fun. I loved when he'd do Florida games because I really did learn a better analysis of the team and game and he'd go into how guys can improve draft stock etc.

I think Josh McCown could be a good analysis or something as he's smart Football IQ wise. I think he could be a QB coach somewhere and move up. The Brian Flores investigation prevented the Texans From Hiring him last year.

I was never a fan of Taylor. I thought it was a ****ty what she did to Rachel Nichols who's way better at her job.

I also stopped watching NBA countdown after that. I'm all for exclusivity and all but I don't want someone pushing it on me and saying yeah take this or you get nothing at all.

Brady had a lot of WRs that were poorly rated at one point and got the job done time n time again.
I wonder if his sincere critiques don't blow up some things that need blowing up- like the 6-4 gazelle with as many catches as drops starting over the six foot hustler that's twelve for twelve converting third downs.

I think he'll be about as good a football commentator as Tiger Woods would be at golf. He's not interested in entertaining people or being deferential to other players. All he'll be thinking about is how he could still crush his enemies, see them driven before him and hear the lamentation of their women...

It'll be the same as now. People that hate Brady will say he sucks. People that love Brady will think he's great at it.

In interviews he usually seems too reserved and calculating. Not glib. I could see him dragging down the pace and the fun while he searches for the right words to maintain his image.
OTH, he's probably going to figure out what he needs to do, get coached up, and be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread