What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady should be fined and suspended (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
There is no question that Carolina committed PI on the last play of what was as good a MNF game as almost any Super Bowl I have ever seen. I was thoroughly entertained for 60 minutes of football. Here is where I have a major problem and the double standard in the NFL.

Brady on his way off the field and with Ryan Mallet on his left and the referee Clete Blakeman on his right decided to unload a short list of profanities on the referee. The F bomb plus BS came flying out of his mouth. If that were Dez Bryant it would be all over Twitter in 10 seconds and Roger Goodell would have to hold a special meeting on what to do with him. That footage will make its way around but I highly doubt Brady will receive any consequences.

Take a look...

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/tom-brady-f-bomb-referee-video-clete-blakeman/211202

And the refs have been very good to Brady over the years, many times bailing him out with roughing the passer calls, phantom PI calls that were like the last play of the game tonight only in reverse. I will be eager to hear what if anything happens to Uncle Tom tomorrow but I doubt much of anything comes of it.

ESPN had the footage, whether they decide to make it into much, we'll see. But if you have the full game on DVR tonight, watch Brady a he exits the field. He isn't shaking hands and con grads to the Panthers after a monumental all time great NFL game, instead he is crying to the refs and cussing them out as he leaves the field. We talk about class, where was the class on that instance?

Do the the right thing Roger and make an example out of him like you have done with everybody else you hold to that double standard you have tucked away in your office.

Sincerely,

The Ministry of Pain

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the smartest move by Tom. There is zero chance that he gets that call overturned so there's no upside to the rant. And he may need a call go his way somewhere down the line. Refs watching this game may see him in a different light now.

Heat of the moment I guess.

I'm a big Patriot hater. But this is not a big deal. People swear all the time at work. Some people swear FOR their work (actors, comedians). He might get a small fine because it was caught on camera (which is totally beyond his control, by the way), but I don't think he SHOULD get fined.

Not the smartest move by Tom. There is zero chance that he gets that call overturned so there's no upside to the rant. And he may need a call go his way somewhere down the line. Refs watching this game may see him in a different light now.

That's an excellent point, let's see the next time he is whining about being touched while he still has the ball in his hands.

I'm sure if Cam Newton did that there would be a different perception. There is definitely some stereotyping goin on.

I agree with a fine.

A lot of bush league behavior in this game.

Talib and Smith should have both been ejected.

The linemen that rolled into Charles Johnson should get fined as well, even if it was incidental (which it appeared to me as.)

sporthenry said:
I could see a fine for this. But what precedent is there for a suspension?
If any list of guys like Dez Bryant does this, they would face a harsh fine at minimum from Goodell. Have you all been watching the last 3-4 years? He suspended a head coach for an entire season, a GM for 8 games, what if there were children watching their hero come off the field and they see him drop this type of language.

Refs apparently were cussing at Trent Williams yesterday so Goodell needs to step in and put a stop to this, make an example out of Brady and send a message that no 1 player is more important than the shield.

Brady should have been shaking hands with Cam Newton at midfield but instead he showed a terrible display of poor sportsmanship, that's not the message these to send out there.

ShaHBucks said:
Sandeman said:

I'm sure if Cam Newton did that there would be a different perception. There is definitely some stereotyping goin on.
Exactly. Cam Newton does this and the Shark Pool would rain down on him, he would be called a classless thug or punk, you can bank on it.

wilked said:
2-3 games minimum
:lol:

I feel better Wilkie, ty.

I know he's not getting a suspension but he needs to be called on it. So many players would have been thrown under the bus but Brady will get a free pass.

sporthenry said:
If any list of guys like Dez Bryant does this, they would face a harsh fine at minimum from Goodell. Have you all been watching the last 3-4 years? He suspended a head coach for an entire season, a GM for 8 games, what if there were children watching their hero come off the field and they see him drop this type of language.

Refs apparently were cussing at Trent Williams yesterday so Goodell needs to step in and put a stop to this, make an example out of Brady and send a message that no 1 player is more important than the shield.

Brady should have been shaking hands with Cam Newton at midfield but instead he showed a terrible display of poor sportsmanship, that's not the message these to send out there.
The NFL already set the precedent last year when they fined BB $50K for grabbing a ref and Kyle Shanahan $25K for chasing an official down after the game.

You want to move the goal posts b/c its Brady.

Serious question, over/under on the number of times ref's get cursed at during a game?

I'd put it at 12.5.

This is no big deal.

I agree with a fine.

The linemen that rolled into Charles Johnson should get fined as well, even if it was incidental (which it appeared to me as.)
Should Smitty have been ejected for embarrrassing Talib and then getting his foot stuck in Talib's hand?

I agree with a fine.

Should Smitty have been ejected for embarrrassing Talib and then getting his foot stuck in Talib's hand?
Should have been ejected for continuing to instigate bush league behavior, I would have been fine if they ejected Talib on their first scrap, but on the second one thats all on Smith.

sporthenry said:

You've popped too many beers tonight. P(Brady suspended for a Brady/Manning matchup on Sunday night) = 0.

sporthenry said:

The NFL already set the precedent last year when they fined BB $50K for grabbing a ref and Kyle Shanahan $25K for chasing an official down after the game.

Awesome so they should have no problem in fining Brady big time for this. His head coach already had it happen and he showed a complete lack of class tonight.

this should be in the game thread...

What QB wouldn't be upset? Fine, I'm sure, suspension is a bit much though.

I thought Gronkowski gave a poor effort and somewhat unlike him on that play. There must be 100 examples of plays where he fought for the ball in the end zone and yet tonight he's about walking when that LB puts his arms around him.

massraider said:
sporthenry said:
None. There are many precedents for going MOP, tragically.
It's already been pointed out this happened with BB and Kyle Shanahan so maybe there is some precedence. I'm trending on twitter now, hoping to get to this to Roger Goodell's front office ;)

sporthenry said:

Awesome so they should have no problem in fining Brady big time for this. His head coach already had it happen and he showed a complete lack of class tonight.
I'd imagine something in the range of $25K seems like the norm for berating the official.

And Brady actually showed some class during the post game presser.

I'm no big fan of Tom Brady's that is for sure, but honestly I can't blame him that was pass interference and the flag was thrown. I would have been pissed also.

The ball wasn't catchable, but I'd have thought a review was in order with it being the final play in the end zone and the flag proving there's a possible disagreeing viewpoint on the play.

The ball wasn't catchable, but I'd have thought a review was in order with it being the final play in the end zone and the flag proving there's a possible disagreeing viewpoint on the play.
I disagree that the ball wasn't catchable. I watched the replay A LOT and when Kuechly interferes with Gronkowski he pushes him back away from the ball, if Kuechly had not pushed Gronkowski back, Gronk would have been in position to make a play on the ball.

Ministry of Pain said:
There is no question that Carolina committed PI on the last play
No question Bri it was pass interference. But how many calls have gone the Patriots way and Tom Brady's way over the years? A ton so when it happens to them they need to be good sports about it. The flag was thrown and picked up which made it even worse. None of that excuses Brady because it wouldn't excuse anyone else and it usually never does.

The ball could have been catch able if he wasn't held from making a play toward the ball. He didn't even get to finish his route. BTW, I'm a Bronco fan, and that non-call was great for my team.

I disagree that the ball wasn't catchable. I watched the replay A LOT and when Kuechly interferes with Gronkowski he pushes him back away from the ball, if Kuechly had not pushed Gronkowski back, Gronk would have been in position to make a play on the ball.
Absolutely a PI call should have been made and it was but they picked up the flag. Hard to assume if the ball would have been caught or not but the defender gave Gronk no chance to find out.

None of this is about whether it was a PI call or not, IMO it clearly was and I've seen much less called for PI.

*It was PI - hugging a player while the ball is in the air is illegal, catchable or not, its illegal contact.

*The ref was asking someone to bail him out when he threw the flag

*When the ref blows a call and cost you a game you are lucky all you get is an ear full

*Clearly see OP is a Dolphins fan

Fine and suspension? What the league wants is to take an elite player and superstar out of a prime time game next week against Denver because he was upset and talked smack to an official who made a bad call.

*It was PI - hugging a player while the ball is in the air is illegal, catchable or not, its illegal contact.

*When the ref blows a call and cost you a game you are lucky all you get is an ear full

Fine and suspension? What the league wants is to take an elite player and superstar out of a prime time game next week against Denver because he was upset and talked smack to an official who made a bad call.
Did you read the first sentence of the OP? This is not about whether it was a bad call. It's about a double standard. I bet Peyton Manning would not have run after the referee. He would have shook Cam's hands, shook Ron Rivera's hand, jogged off the field and met with the press.

Cam does the same thing and he would be labeled a punk, same for Dez Bryant, same for Ndomokong Suh, and the list goes on and on.

Did you read the first sentence of the OP? This is not about whether it was a bad call. It's about a double standard. I bet Peyton Manning would not have run after the referee. He would have shook Cam's hands, shook Ron Rivera's hand, jogged off the field and met with the press.

Cam does the same thing and he would be labeled a punk, same for Dez Bryant, same for Ndomokong Suh, and the list goes on and on.
So you are just looking for an argument based on your opinion? You are doing nothing but making assumptions. I do not see a double standard, I only saw a penalty and a player upset about a blown call. You obviously see something different.

Where was this thread for Peyton? http://thebiglead.com/2012/10/15/peyton-manning-to-referee-thats-the-most-bull####-call-ive-ever-seen/

Where was this thread for Peyton? http://thebiglead.com/2012/10/15/peyton-manning-to-referee-thats-the-most-bull####-call-ive-ever-seen/
check mate it seems

So you are just looking for an argument based on your opinion? You are doing nothing but making assumptions. I do not see a double standard, I only saw a penalty and a player upset about a blown call. You obviously see something different.
FS, he ran after the referee right after the call. His HC has been fined for doing similar, maybe that's where he learned it. He was being a bully running off the field. Here comes a 6 foot 5 230 lb QB coming after a regular size guy who is simply an NFL referee and he is berating him right there on national TV and dropping the F BOMB.

If he had said, how could you miss that? But he didn't, he was trying to intimidate the referee and there's no place for that right now especially with the NFL being under a microscope int he media as of late. This is not the message to send. If you curse like that at your place of work, would you have a job for long?

That has been the media pressure over other issues the last couple weeks, "At my work"…again we go back to the double standard.

this should be in the game thread...

What QB wouldn't be upset? Fine, I'm sure, suspension is a bit much though.

I thought Gronkowski gave a poor effort and somewhat unlike him on that play. There must be 100 examples of plays where he fought for the ball in the end zone and yet tonight he's about walking when that LB puts his arms around him.
I think Gronk didn't believe that Brady would make such a terrible throw into strong double coverage.

And the reason it's not interference is that Gronk initiated the contact by running straight into two defenders who had position on him.

It's passion. It's football. You sound like A whining tattle tale.
And that's how Brady came across as he was running off the field after what might be the greatest NFL game we have seen in the regular season in a very long time.
:lol: That wasn't even the best game this season. It was great, but there have been several games better - Denver/Dallas, NO/NE, and maybe Detroit/Dallas.

What kind of culture is happening in the New England locker room that allows players to think they can get away with this? We might need an investigation. Probably should have been one after VHSgate.

And that's how Brady came across as he was running off the field after what might be the greatest NFL game we have seen in the regular season in a very long time.
:lol: That wasn't even the best game this season. It was great, but there have been several games better - Denver/Dallas, NO/NE, and maybe Detroit/Dallas.
I'll tell you that for my money it was the best. Denver Dallas had no defense. NO/NE got boring at times. Det/Dallas was fun.

This game was played at a very high level. Both teams had few possessions, the QBs at one point in the 2nd half combined for 16/16 and yet there were plenty of big hits on both sides of the football. Anyone can feel however they want but with this coming down to the last play, best game I have seen all year. I like a little defense with my football and not an arena league game.

MoP WTF? You curse like a sailor at the checkout line. They should fine you just for being in the juice aisle.

Dez, or Suh have proved nothing in this league. Their reputations have preceded them. Even their own team players don't respect them. Brady/Manning have been there done that. It's A different level of credibility when they go off.

I'll tell you that for my money it was the best. Denver Dallas had no defense. NO/NE got boring at times. Det/Dallas was fun.

This game was played at a very high level. Both teams had few possessions, the QBs at one point in the 2nd half combined for 16/16 and yet there were plenty of big hits on both sides of the football. Anyone can feel however they want but with this coming down to the last play, best game I have seen all year. I like a little defense with my football and not an arena league game.
I disagree about Denver/Dallas. There was some defense in that game...hell, the game was won thanks to a Broncos INT! And from a neutral standpoint, the flow of the game was great: Dallas jumps out to a lead, Denver comes back and takes a double digit lead and it looks like it's over, but Dallas comes back and takes the lead, the Broncos tie it up, and then win it thanks to a defensive play. Great game.

Users who are viewing this thread