What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo New Deal (1 Viewer)

Billy Ball Thorton said:
cstu said:
The Cowboys are so ####ed because of this deal.
Why? Very lame bump.
Because it handcuffs them to this "window" way longer than it should. Romo is 34. Garrett barely survives the hot seat every single year as they switch around the coaching staff on him to try and make it work and salvage their investment. And they're stuck with this situation for the foreseeable future because who wants to come and coach a team with:1. Jerry Jones as the GM and decision-maker.

2. This huge deal handcuffing the team to a 35-36 year old Romo with huge cap consequences.
IMO issue #1 is far worse than issue #2. Romo's contract is what it is -- and next to Flacco's and Cutler's deals it doesn't look terrible to me. Romo's older than both those guys, but also significantly better IMO. The alternative was to blow things up and suck for a few years while purging the years of dead money / bad cap mgmt. That's not appealing either

Bottom line is the Cowboys' problems can be laid at the feet of Jerry Jones thinking he can be a GM. Romo and his contract are way down on the blame list for me.
Except issue #1 is making issue #2 worse. The Cowboys signed Romo to an elite QB deal when he is not quite an elite QB. Okay, I can live with that. But then Jerry keeps deferring the effects of the huge contract by pushing Romo cap dollars to future years. Right now, Romo's cap figure for 2014 is about $12 million. As it stands now, his cap figure is $27 million for 2015. So they have three options in 2015: figure out a way to stay under the cap with Romo's $15 million raise in his cap figure, restructure his contract thus reducing his 2015 cap figure but tying yourself to him for probably another year at least, or cutting him which results in a dead money hit of $37 million in 2015.

With what Jones has done to that contract, the Cowboys are stuck in cap hell with Romo at the helm for at least 2 more years.

Seeing that Dal had arguably the worst D in football last year and couldn't sign one of their only good defensive players this offseason I'd say the contract is a problem.
The d was mostly due to injuries. People were praising the Dallas D the first several weeks until guys started dropping like flies.
There is definitely some truth to this. It looks to me like Lee was the glue that held them together. Once he was down they fell apart, bad. Even with him back they need an infusion of talent on that side of the ball. Losing Ware certainly didn't help things.

Seeing that Dal had arguably the worst D in football last year and couldn't sign one of their only good defensive players this offseason I'd say the contract is a problem.
The d was mostly due to injuries. People were praising the Dallas D the first several weeks until guys started dropping like flies.
There is definitely some truth to this. It looks to me like Lee was the glue that held them together. Once he was down they fell apart, bad. Even with him back they need an infusion of talent on that side of the ball. Losing Ware certainly didn't help things.
I like Lee and all, but I'm done with the undersized little engines that could being the Cowboys best defender on horrifically bad defenses. See Zach Thomas, Dexter Coakley and now Sean Lee.

Users who are viewing this thread