What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 Rookie picks (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
What is everyone's guesses as to what the order of the top 10 Rookie picks will end up looking like in Dynasties this year?Obviously the teams (or rounds) that they get drafted by will affect this list, but in the meantime what are your best guesses? It's shaping up to be a great draft for skill positions...QB:- Matt Leinart- Vince Young- Jay Cutler- Omar JacobsRB:- Reggie Bush- Lawrence Maroney- DeAngelo Williams- LenDale White - Brian Calhoun- Maurice Drew- Joseph Addai- Jerome Harrison- Jerious NorwoodWR:- Santonio Holmes- Chad Jackson- Sinorice MossTE:- Mercedes Lewis- Vernon Davis- Leonard Pope- Dominique Byrd

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't necessarily how I would rank them, but is how i think they will go. Once rookie draft time comes everyone will once again ignore the QB's and go RB crazy. Leinart and Young will fall farther in rookie drafts than most assume right now, although I disagree that they should.1)Reggie Bush2)Lendale White3)DeAngelo Williams4)Brian Calhoun5)Lawrence Maroney6)Maurice Drew7)Jerome Harrison8)Matt Leinart9)Vince Young10)Santonio Holmes

As of this moment:1) Reggie Bush2) DeAngelo Williams3) LenDale White4) Lawrence Maroney5) Brian Calhoun6) Vince Young7) Matt Leinart8) Joseph Addai9) Maurice Drew10)Santonio HolmesWhite could very easily pass Williams depending on where he goes. Maroney, Calhoun, Addai, and Drew could also easily reshuffle depending on combine results/team they land on.

This isn't necessarily how I would rank them, but is how i think they will go. Once rookie draft time comes everyone will once again ignore the QB's and go RB crazy. Leinart and Young will fall farther in rookie drafts than most assume right now, although I disagree that they should.

1)Reggie Bush

2)Lendale White

3)DeAngelo Williams

4)Brian Calhoun

5)Lawrence Maroney

6)Maurice Drew

7)Jerome Harrison

8)Matt Leinart

9)Vince Young

10)Santonio Holmes
I have an awful team that just had one of those wierd seasons where it kept getting lucky, so I pick 11th. This is going to depend more on who drafts who than who is drafted when. I need a productive RB in the worse way, but I doubt I find one. Rookie QBs are never much help and the two most interesting ones will be gone. I'm putting a name out now, because I think he is going to be drafted very high, and I think he is going to be very good.Hank Baskett, WR, UNM

He's 6-4, 220, a high jump champion who can make spectacular catches. He doesn't have great clock speed, but he's sneaky fast, and uses excellent athleticism to run quick and precise routes. His numbers haven't been that great because he is ALWAYS double covered. In a weak class of WRs, I think this kid's game translates better the the NFL than most, and if the right team gets him, he has a chance to be very good.

This isn't necessarily how I would rank them, but is how i think they will go. Once rookie draft time comes everyone will once again ignore the QB's and go RB crazy. Leinart and Young will fall farther in rookie drafts than most assume right now, although I disagree that they should.

1)Reggie Bush

2)Lendale White

3)DeAngelo Williams

4)Brian Calhoun

5)Lawrence Maroney

6)Maurice Drew

7)Jerome Harrison

8)Matt Leinart

9)Vince Young

10)Santonio Holmes
I have an awful team that just had one of those wierd seasons where it kept getting lucky, so I pick 11th. This is going to depend more on who drafts who than who is drafted when. I need a productive RB in the worse way, but I doubt I find one. Rookie QBs are never much help and the two most interesting ones will be gone. I'm putting a name out now, because I think he is going to be drafted very high, and I think he is going to be very good.Hank Baskett, WR, UNM

He's 6-4, 220, a high jump champion who can make spectacular catches. He doesn't have great clock speed, but he's sneaky fast, and uses excellent athleticism to run quick and precise routes. His numbers haven't been that great because he is ALWAYS double covered. In a weak class of WRs, I think this kid's game translates better the the NFL than most, and if the right team gets him, he has a chance to be very good.

Hank Baskett, WR, UNM

I would be very happy if the Steelers decide to take him with their first rounder, I think he fits their WR need perfectly.There's gonna be great value at TE and WR in the 2nd round of rookie drafts this year with guys like Baskett, Martin Nance, Chad Jackson, Greg Lee, Jonathan Orr, Mike Hass, and Derek Hagan hanging around and the leftovers from the big 3 TEs.

Goes without saying this is subject to change after the combine and, obviously, the NFL draft. 1) Reggie Bush2) DeAngelo Williams3) LenDale White4) Brian Calhoun5) Vince Young6) Lawrence Maroney7) Joseph Addai8) Matt Leinart9) Jerome Harrison10)Maurice DrewIMHO, I would not be the least bit surprised if no WR is taken in the top 12.

1. Reggie Bush RB USC 2. Lendale White RB USC 3. DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis4. Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota5. Michael Bush RB Louisville if he comes out6. Vince Young QB Texas7. Matt Leinart QB Southern California 8. Joseph Addai RB LSU9. Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin Size is a big concern in my eyes10. Maurice Drew RB UCLA11. Marcedes Lewis TE UCLA 12. Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt13. Gerald Riggs RB Tennessee I really can't rank the wrs until I see what team drafts them.

1. Reggie Bush RB USC

2. Lendale White RB USC

3. DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis

4. Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota

5. Michael Bush RB Louisville if he comes out

6. Vince Young QB Texas

7. Matt Leinart QB Southern California

8. Joseph Addai RB LSU

9. Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin Size is a big concern in my eyes

10. Maurice Drew RB UCLA

11. Marcedes Lewis TE UCLA

12. Jay Cutler QB Vanderbilt

13. Gerald Riggs RB Tennessee

I really can't rank the wrs until I see what team drafts them.
Isn't Calhoun much bigger than Drew?

As of this moment:

1) Reggie Bush

2) DeAngelo Williams

3) LenDale White

4) Lawrence Maroney

5) Brian Calhoun

6) Vince Young

7) Matt Leinart

8) Joseph Addai

9) Maurice Drew

10)Santonio Holmes

White could very easily pass Williams depending on where he goes. Maroney, Calhoun, Addai, and Drew could also easily reshuffle depending on combine results/team they land on.
If done today?1-5 seems spot on IMO, then I'm not sure.

I'm not as big on Addai. As of today, I'd prefer Jerome Harrison or Hagan / Holmes.

Young / Leinart will come down to personal preferance or team. FWIW, I'd trade down a spot and take whichever remains.

6) Young / Leinart

7) Young / Leinart

8) Maurice Drew

9) Santonio Holmes

10) Jerome Harrison

I happen to have the #7 slot in a league where I can use a QB. :)

1. Lendale White2. Deangelo Williams3. Reggie Bush4. Maroney / Calhoun5. Calhoun / Maroney6. Young / Leinart7. Leinart / Young8. Holmes9. Drew

1). Reggie Bush2). Deangelo Williams3). Lendale White4). Lawrence Mroney5). Brian Calhoun6). Matt Leinart7). Vince Young8). Maurice Drew9). Joseph Addai10). Jerome Harrison11). Santonio Holmes12). Derek Hagan13). Chad Jackson14). Hank Baskett15). Jay Cutler16). Mercedes Lewis17). Gerald Riggs Jr.18). Vernon Davis19). Dontrell Moore20). Leonard Pope21). Omar Jacobs22). Martin Nance23). Demitrius Williams24). Mike Bell25). Jerious Norwood

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
That's crazy talk.No way White should go ahead of Williams, Bush and Maroney.

I need a QB too. Ya know... Cutler may just end up in the best situation of all these QBs. Detroit? Miami? In either case you have to think his very strong arm and good wheels are going to get him some playing time as a rookie. Coming from Vandy he is used to a very fast paced game already (he ran for his life this season). Picking 11th and reading all these lists, Jay may be my best move.

1). Reggie Bush

2). Deangelo Williams

3). Lendale White

4). Lawrence Mroney

5). Brian Calhoun

6). Matt Leinart

7). Vince Young

8). Maurice Drew

9). Joseph Addai

10). Jerome Harrison

11). Santonio Holmes

12). Derek Hagan

13). Chad Jackson

14). Hank Baskett

15). Jay Cutler

16). Mercedes Lewis

17). Gerald Riggs Jr.

18). Vernon Davis

19). Dontrell Moore

20). Leonard Pope

21). Omar Jacobs

22). Martin Nance

23). Demitrius Williams

24). Mike Bell

25). Jerious Norwood
:goodposting: While no two people will agree that far out, I comend you for putting it out there. Where do IDPs like Hawk and Mario fit in? IMO, I'd probably take either above Mike Bell/Norwood, but can't see taking them above Nance.

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
I don't think it's that far fetched.I have Bush and White neck 1A/1B as of today.

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
I don't think it's that far fetched.I have Bush and White neck 1A/1B as of today.
Depending on the league's scoring, I can see White ahead of Bush. TD high, no PPR, low yardage scoring etc.

:goodposting: While no two people will agree that far out, I comend you for putting it out there. Where do IDPs like Hawk and Mario fit in? IMO, I'd probably take either above Mike Bell/Norwood, but can't see taking them above Nance.
Good question, but it really depends on scoring system and # of IDP starters (depth and importance of your defense). Odell and Lofa were second round MLBs who proved very valuable. I'm a happy Thurman owner. Abdul Hodge and D'Qwell Jackson are the best candidates to do the same. If Hawk is moved to the inside then great, weakside is fine, strong side... uh oh. Greenway will be a beast on the weakside. Huff and JWilliams could be very productive safeties, and not too bad at corner either. Assuming best case scenarios with how they are used.

1. Hawk (LB)

2, Greenway (OLB)

3. Hodge (MLB)

4. Jackson (MLB)

5. Huff (FS)

6. JWilliams (SS)

7. MWilliams (DE)

8. MLawson (OLB convert think Ware)

9. Parham (MLB)

10. Ryans/Simms (OLB)

:shrug:

Long way to go unitl training camp, eh?

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
Depending on the league's scoring, I can see White ahead of Bush. TD high, no PPR, low yardage scoring etc.
I really don't get this love for White.

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
If he landed in Pitt you would.

1. Lendale White

2. Deangelo Williams

3. Reggie Bush

4. Maroney / Calhoun

5. Calhoun / Maroney

6. Young / Leinart

7. Leinart / Young

8. Holmes

9. Drew
If he landed in Pitt you would.
That's a big IF.

1). Reggie Bush

2). Deangelo Williams

3). Lendale White

4). Lawrence Mroney

5). Brian Calhoun

6). Matt Leinart

7). Vince Young

8).  Maurice Drew

9). Joseph Addai

10). Jerome Harrison

11). Santonio Holmes

12). Derek Hagan

13). Chad Jackson

14). Hank Baskett

15). Jay Cutler

16). Mercedes Lewis

17). Gerald Riggs Jr.

18). Vernon Davis

19). Dontrell Moore

20). Leonard Pope

21). Omar Jacobs

22). Martin Nance

23). Demitrius Williams

24). Mike Bell

25). Jerious Norwood
I don't know how IDP fit into dynasty drafts, because I don't play in IDP leagues. Sorry. Also, I would move my pick of Nance at 22 head of Jacobs at 21. What was I thinking?

my rankings are on my computer at home and ill put out a preliminary top 100 once we see all the juniors that declare. I may have forgotten a guy or two, and im sure this is a little off my rankings at home that i have put more thought into. These are my rankings and reflect my bias, not an attempt at consensus rankings.here's a top 36 off the top of my head:1) Reggie Bush2) DeAngelo Williams3) LenDale White4) Lawrence Maroney5) Brian Calhoun6) Vince Young7) Matt Leinart8) Joseph Addai9) Maurice Drew10)Santonio Holmes11)Chad Jackson12)Marcedes Lewis13)Vernon Davis14)Jerome Harrison15)Derek Hagan16)Hank Baskett17)A.J. Hawk18)Leonard Pope19)Jay Cutler20)Jonathan Orr21)Mike Hass22)Omar Jacobs23)DonTrell Moore24)Martin Nance25)Greg Lee26)Abdul Hodge27)Dominique Byrd28)Greg Jennings29)Jason Avant30)DQwell Jackson31)Marcus Vick32)Sinorice Moss33)Tim Day34)David Thomas35)Chad Greenway36)Ernie Sims

1). Reggie Bush2). Deangelo Williams3). Lendale White4). Lawrence Maroney5). WR that Indy Drafts in the first.6). Brian Calhoun7). Matt Leinart8). Vince Young9). Maurice Drew10). Jerome Harrison

5). WR that Indy Drafts in the first.
does this mean you think reggie wayne is not a colt next year?
That's what I am thinking. I don't think they will let James go after his production this season, and I don't think they can afford everyone.

5). WR that Indy Drafts in the first.
does this mean you think reggie wayne is not a colt next year?
That's what I am thinking. I don't think they will let James go after his production this season, and I don't think they can afford everyone.
Franchise Edge, sign Wayne.Edited to say that I think the league is talking about rasing the cap, so that will also help the Colts.

Its about where McPherson was ranked last year pre-draft (if not higher). Vick's upside for FF as a running QB puts him in the top 36 (for now).
Character drops him out of the top 50 on my list. McPherson wasn't facing jail time when drafted, and McPherson is the more talented QB IMO. But I do agree that it's a similar situation.

31)Marcus Vick
I caught Chris Landry on the radio yesterday morning. Landry's historically accurate and timely with his information. He was asked about Marcus Vick. Landry stated all of his contacts have confirmed they would not burn a pick on him in the draft. Now, Landry did not qualify the statement by confirming he had talked with a source at every single NFL team or only a few teams so take the comment how you want. Personally, I think Vick will be lucky to get a camp invite to the Falcons, which would be a result of his pedigree. His football resume is just not that spectacular when weighed against his off the field transgressions. Serious question or inquiry, given the list that have been generated so far. I consider the guys that post and visit the boards this time of year the exception not the rule. The guys in your league that check out from January to April are the standard. Young is ranked in the 6-8 area, which is about right. There is a lack of top end WR prospects this year and, if you are drafting in that area and need a QB prospect, Young would make sense, considering his ceiling. Given a load of hype from ESPN; a marvelous pro day workout and the upcoming parallels he will draw to Vick; C'Pep; McNair and Cunningham, do you not think a typical owner will grab him a little earlier?

31)Marcus Vick
I caught Chris Landry on the radio yesterday morning. Landry's historically accurate and timely with his information. He was asked about Marcus Vick. Landry stated all of his contacts have confirmed they would not burn a pick on him in the draft. Now, Landry did not qualify the statement by confirming he had talked with a source at every single NFL team or only a few teams so take the comment how you want. Personally, I think Vick will be lucky to get a camp invite to the Falcons, which would be a result of his pedigree. His football resume is just not that spectacular when weighed against his off the field transgressions.

Serious question or inquiry, given the list that have been generated so far. I consider the guys that post and visit the boards this time of year the exception not the rule. The guys in your league that check out from January to April are the standard.

Young is ranked in the 6-8 area, which is about right. There is a lack of top end WR prospects this year and, if you are drafting in that area and need a QB prospect, Young would make sense, considering his ceiling. Given a load of hype from ESPN; a marvelous pro day workout and the upcoming parallels he will draw to Vick; C'Pep; McNair and Cunningham, do you not think a typical owner will grab him a little earlier?
If the buzz on Vick becomes that he will go undrafted, then ill adjust my rankings accordingly - for now Im treating him the same way I treated Clarett and McPherson at this time last year. He's a totally speculative prospect that is not for the type of FF owner that is risk averse.Young vs. Leinart is tough debate for FF. Young will probably not even play in his first year, Leinart is most NFL ready QB in the draft. Young's ability to pile up rushing stats gives him the higher upside, but I see Leinart as carrying less risk (although if Vince totally busts as a QB, he might be a SICK WR). Depending on the situations guys like Maroney and Calhoun land in, Young could creep up as high as 4th for FF dynasty teams that are QB poor. I dont see any way you justify taking him over Williams, White, or Bush - you could probably any of them straight up for a QB not named Peyton Manning, and if White's stock has gone up as much as some say it has, you might be able to trade him or Bush for Manning - a much smarter plan to address QB needs on your FF dynasty team.

Young is ranked in the 6-8 area, which is about right. There is a lack of top end WR prospects this year and, if you are drafting in that area and need a QB prospect, Young would make sense, considering his ceiling. Given a load of hype from ESPN; a marvelous pro day workout and the upcoming parallels he will draw to Vick; C'Pep; McNair and Cunningham, do you not think a typical owner will grab him a little earlier?
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Young going earlier than 6, particularly in oddball formats which use 2 QBs, and potentially as a result of lack of WR talent. However, it's historically not worked out that way in my fairly standard dynasty league. There's usually such a high premium placed on RBs/WRs because of their trade value, while the QBs remain undervalued to a large extent until they become starters (usually after sitting the first year). For example:In 2001, Vick was extremely hyped and went 1.6 behind M.Bennett, Tomlinson, Krob, Deuce, Barlow.

In 2002 Carr/Harrington went 1.7-1.8 behind W.Green, D.Foster, Duckett, Portis, Lelie, D.Stallworth.

In 2003 Leftwich went 1.7 behind C.Rogers, O.Smith, A.Johnson, L.Johnson, McGahee, C.Brown... and Carson Palmer lasted until 2.1.

Last year, Roethlisberger/Manning lasted until 1.10/1.12 respectively.

Another thing to consider is that in a standard 12 team dynasty, a top 15 QB is already on most rosters and you hate to draft a guy to gather dust on your bench, while RBs/WRs are very thin due to the high turnover of the positions and are in constant need of upgrading.

1). Reggie Bush RB2). Deangelo Williams RB3). Lendale White RB4). Lawrence Maroney RB5). Brian Calhoun RB6). Vince Young QB7). Matt Leinart QB8). Joseph Addai RB9). Jay Cutler QB10). Vernon Davis TEThe QBs potential to be top flight fantasy contributors helps them crack my top ten. I really like Davis too as he could be an elite TE.

1. Deangelo Williams2. Lendale White3. Reggie Bush4. Vince Young5. Lawrence Maroney6. Vernon Davis7. Matt Leinart8. Santonio Holmes9. Leonard Pope10. Jay Cutler

1) Reggie Bush2) DeAngelo Williams3) LenDale White4) Lawrence Maroney5) Santonio Holmes6) Marcedes Lewis7) Matt Leinart8) Vince Young9) Vernon Davis10)Brian Calhoun

This seems so premature. 1. Reggie Bush2. DeAngelo Williams3. LenDale White4. Chad Jackson5. Vernon Davis6. Laurence Maroney7. Jerome Harrison8. Maurice Drew9. Jerious Norwood10. Brian Calhoun

I don't understand how Bush ranks so high. An unbelievable talent? ABSOLUTELY. But he won't be returning kicks and unless someone trades up, he won't be shouldering the load on his own in Houston, NO, or Nashville.

I don't understand how Bush ranks so high. An unbelievable talent? ABSOLUTELY. But he won't be returning kicks and unless someone trades up, he won't be shouldering the load on his own in Houston, NO, or Nashville.
Because he is the best prospect since Tony Manderich!

I have to agree, although I hope the guy picking #1 doesn't think it through.

For dynasty purposes, you have to consider his projected career. I think he's going to have a very productive one. Will he be underutilized next year? You're likely right about that, but there's already rumblings of Houston shopping DD. It doesn't matter though. Reggie is going to pile up combined yards and TDs regardless. I'm on board with this scouting report.DeAngelo has a lot of miles on him already and a history of injury. This may sound odd, but he pronates when he runs, like Foster and Taylor. Those guys can't keep their legs healthy. I like DeAngelo. I put two spaces between him and White, but I like Reggie two spaces higher.

This won't be compelling until after the trading, cutting, signing and drafting is done.

For dynasty purposes, you have to consider his projected career. I think he's going to have a very productive one. Will he be underutilized next year? You're likely right about that, but there's already rumblings of Houston shopping DD. It doesn't matter though. Reggie is going to pile up combined yards and TDs regardless. I'm on board with this scouting report.DeAngelo has a lot of miles on him already and a history of injury. This may sound odd, but he pronates when he runs, like Foster and Taylor. Those guys can't keep their legs healthy. I like DeAngelo. I put two spaces between him and White, but I like Reggie two spaces higher.

This won't be compelling until after the trading, cutting, signing and drafting is done.
I just don't see it. Reggie Bush is a great college player because of the myriad ways to get him the ball and his speed. Both CAN be negated in the NFL. I like Bush, I just don't like the "once in a lifetime" stuff...COlin

DeAngelo has a lot of miles on him already and a history of injury.
You guys keep saying this about him and it is very, very untrue. I have been at UorM as long as he has. Excluding the fibula break in the GMAC Bowl, he has no history of injury! And miles, that is what we call experience. Would you say Caddy or Benson has miles??All this manlove for Bush! I tend to stay away from guys with the last name Bush!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I just don't see it. Reggie Bush is a great college player because of the myriad ways to get him the ball and his speed. Both CAN be negated in the NFL. I like Bush, I just don't like the "once in a lifetime" stuff...COlin
Well those things can be negated for DeAngelo too. He played in a 4 wide spread option shotgun offense and primarily ran draw plays in space. Bush ran out of a pro set offense right out of the I or single set very effectively. I don't see the negative of him being in RBBC with another good back and used in a variety of ways. I don't care for the once in a lifetime hype either, but I can't think of anything DeAngelo does better than Reggie. He's not as fast, he's not as strong, he isn't as hard to tackle, he doesn't have quite the same elusiveness or vision, and he isn't nearly as good a receiver. And DeAngelo is very good at all those things, very very good. Maybe he has better power, but I doubt it from what I've seen. They are both very underrated in that regard.

Reggie measures almost identical to Tomlinson when Tomlinson was coming into the league. LT was 5-11 205. Reggie will measure 5-11 205 at his pro day if he's looking for his best 40, and he'll play at 210 as a rookie. Bigger than LT was. I think the naysayers are missing the boat on this guy. He is exceptional between the tackles too. Like the scouting report linked above says, Reggie IS a north south runner. Most people have watched a ton of highlights but not a ton of USC football, so they have this misconception about him. Williams will dance around like Barry alot more than Reggie will, imo.

DeAngelo has a lot of miles on him already and a history of injury.
You guys keep saying this about him and it is very, very untrue. I have been at UorM as long as he has. Excluding the fibula break in the GMAC Bowl, he has no history of injury! And miles, that is what we call experience. Would you say Caddy or Benson has miles??
:unsure: Nice you've been at UofM to watch this amazing guy, but you haven't been paying attention to his ailment, sorry.

DeAngelo missed the Tennessee game this year and sat out major portions of two other games. He turned his ankle, came back too fast, or reinjured it. I forget. I do know the first time I ever got to watch him play this year, I was excited, and he couldn't hardly go because of the injury. It was his best season of health at UofM. He broke his foot playing football in high school. He missed one game and some playing time as a freshman with a sprained knee. He missed the final two games of his sophomore season with a torn MCL. Broke his leg as a junior. He hasn't had a single season of good health. I have a big mancrush on this guy SproutDaddy, but the injury history is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread