What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 10 SuperBowl Champions (1 Viewer)

Jous

Footballguy
1. 1985 Chicago Bears

2. 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers

3. 1984 San Francisco 49'ers

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

6. 1999 St. Louis Rams

7. 2004 New England Patriots

8. 1996 Green Bay Packers

9. 1991 Washington Redskins

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders

I have a feeling I'm missing a really obvious team or 2, though..... :wall:

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders
:bs:
With the Patriots up by three points in final two minutes, referee Ben Dreith calls roughing the passer on New England's Sugar Bear Hamilton after he hits Oakland QB Ken Stabler in 1976 NFL playoffs. Raiders go on to score a touchdown in the final minute to win 21-17, and go on to win the Super Bowl

Last edited by a moderator:
1. 1985 Chicago Bears

3. 1976 Oakland Raiders

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1984 San Francisco 49ers

6. 1983 Los Angeles Raiders

7. 1986 New York Giants

8. 1966 Green Bay Packers

9. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1998 Denver Broncos

We are not talking dynasties so I left any one individual Patriots/Cowboys teams off the list but collectively I think only the Steelers teams were better.

1985 Bears were the best team I've ever seen and anything before 1983 were teams that I've only seen highlights and read about. They should not have been beat that year and they had back to back shutouts in the NFC playoffs.

That said the 1978 Steelers may have began their decent in 1978 as a unit, but that team just had too many Hall of Famers and an air that they just couldn't be beat not to be my #2.

The 1976 Raiders were a beast. They beat a very good New England team then destroyed the Steelers before beating up the Vikings in the Super Bowl.

One omission from the first post was the 1983 Raiders who were a team I watched very closely that year as a Seahawks fan. They murdered Denver, Seattle, and the Redskins with a crazy hard hitting defense, a great running game, and a pinpoint passing attack. I really liked this team even though I hated every thing Raiders then and even now.

I also included the 1998 Denver Broncos who I think everyone just knew would repeat as champs. Great running game, what I consider the greatest QB ever, and a solid defense which just acted like a spider when they got ahead waiting for teams to fall into their web. They went 14-2, wrecked the Dolphins and then held off an inspired Jets squad. I think this team is underrated even when talking about past Super Bowl Champions.

I can't believe those Rams only won one title, and to leave an early Packers team off seems wrong. 49ers were teams that never really impressed me, but the 1984 team who went 15-1, pummeled the Bears and then whipped up on Miami was great. 1986 Giants were incredible.

1998 Broncos have to be above the 1999 Rams.

First, they were defending champs, so they had the bullseye on their back all season and still started 13-0.

Second, they played a tougher regular season schedule and finished with a better record (14-2 vs. 13-3).

Third, they played against better teams in the playoffs. The 1998 Jets and Falcons were easily better than the 1999 Bucs and Titans ... the Jets in particular were very similar to the great 2004 Patriots (no coincidence, given BB's presence).

And finally, they were dominant in the playoffs. 38-3, 23-10, and 34-19 are certainly more impressive than 49-37, 11-6, and 23-16.

The Rams were flashier, but not better.

All that said, the 1998 Broncos may not deserve to be on the list at all. As much as I loved that team, its defense was too bend-don't-break to be considered dominant. They made all the plays they needed to in a remarkable postseason run (take out garbage time and special teams-related scores, and they only gave up 4 field goals), but I don't know if that would hold up repeatedly.

An absolutely phenomenal, completely balanced offense makes it close, though.

1998 Broncos have to be above the 1999 Rams.

First, they were defending champs, so they had the bullseye on their back all season and still started 13-0.

Second, they played a tougher regular season schedule and finished with a better record (14-2 vs. 13-3).

Third, they played against better teams in the playoffs. The 1998 Jets and Falcons were easily better than the 1999 Bucs and Titans ... the Jets in particular were very similar to the great 2004 Patriots (no coincidence, given BB's presence).

And finally, they were dominant in the playoffs. 38-3, 23-10, and 34-19 are certainly more impressive than 49-37, 11-6, and 23-16.

The Rams were flashier, but not better.

All that said, the 1998 Broncos may not deserve to be on the list at all. As much as I loved that team, its defense was too bend-don't-break to be considered dominant. They made all the plays they needed to in a remarkable postseason run (take out garbage time and special teams-related scores, and they only gave up 4 field goals), but I don't know if that would hold up repeatedly.

An absolutely phenomenal, completely balanced offense makes it close, though.
You make your list and we'll compare notes. I'm not saying I'm right, this is opinion based. The 93 Cowboys belong in my top ten more than anything else.

You make your list and we'll compare notes. I'm not saying I'm right, this is opinion based. The 93 Cowboys belong in my top ten more than anything else.
Fair enough. I'm not sure why you're specifying that this is opinion based ... that seemed pretty obvious to me, even if I didn't literally put "IMO" in my post.Anyway ... my personal rankings of teams since 1990 (I was too young to be able to distinguish before that):

1. 1991 Redskins

2. 1992 Cowboys

3. 2004 Patriots

4. 1993 Cowboys

5. 1994 49ers

6. 1998 Broncos

7. 1996 Packers

8. 1999 Rams

9. 2003 Patriots

10. 1995 Cowboys

11. 2000 Ravens

12. 1997 Broncos

13. 2002 Bucs

14. 2005 Steelers

15. 2001 Patriots

16. 1990 Giants

I also like Assani's thread about this topic from late last year.

1991 Redskins?

Give me a break. One of the greatest teams in history? What a joke.
From jwvdcw's thread on this (in my previous post right above yours):
2. 1991 Redskins

17-2, #1 Points Scored, #2 Points Allowed, +261 Points

Maybe the most underrated team of all time in my opinion. They came closer than any other team to matching the Dolphins undefeated season. They lost in week 17 when they sat their starters- a game they surely would've won if they had tried. Their only other loss? A 3 point loss in a game in which their opponent caught a hail mary and recovered an onside kick. And all that while playing one of the toughest schedules of any team on this list, as their regular season opponents had a 53% winning percentage. No team was close to the Skins this year, as they won in the playoffs 24-7, 41-10, and 37-24(and that game really wasn't even as close as the score looks). A completely balanced team- great coaching, great offense, great defense, great special teams. Their most impressive stat: They sacked opposing QBs 50 times while only giving up 9 sacks to their opponents.
I didn't think of them as great because of Mark Rypien, but you look at that one-year rampage and it's as good as any we've seen in the last 15 years.

Yeah, the 91 Skins were extremely, extremely underrated....probably mostly because of Rypien (who had a great season that year) and also....while I may get flamed for this....they're probably underrated just because they're the Washington Redskins. Is it just me, or do the Redskins just seem like a generally very uninteresting team?

Yeah, I was debating the order I had the 1999 Rams, 2004 Pats, and 1996 Packers in. I put the 1999 Rams ahead just because they had possibly the most dominant offense among any SuperBowl champion, and a very underrated defense that finished in the top 10 and ranked #1 against the run. I put the Pats ahead just because they were the best team of the Patriot dynasty, and just had that "unbeatable" air about them.

I wouldn't have a problem with that order being reversed and putting the 96 Packers at #6 though.

Hard not to put the only team never to lose a game in a season on top. Maybe they didn't have the most talent necessarily or play that tough a schedule, but they did repeat the following year which probably vindicated their greatness. Plus they had played in the Super Bowl the previous year as well. They were the best "team" if going by a one year performance, but not necessarily the best collection of talent in any one year period.

On the other hand, I don't see the '99 Rams as belonging. They played an embarrassingly easy schedule that year, and most teams took them lightly (at least in the first half of the year) because they entered the season with an unknown 3rd stringer starting at QB. And they could easily have lost to the Bucs in the playoffs if not for the Bert Emanuel play, which inspired a rule change the following year. Then the Rams failed to follow up that win the following season, although they would eventually get back to the Super Bowl later on.

The '84 49ers are perhaps underrated and you can make a case they should get as much hype as the '85 Bears. They also only lost one game and thrashed a team in the Super Bowl that had been a juggernaut most of the year itself in the Marino-led Dolphins.

Oh, and also agreee '98 Broncos belong on the list.

The 1999 Rams did indeed play posibly one of the easiest schedules I've ever seen....but you can't fault them for that, they didn't choose the schedule. They proved their worth in the playoffs by beating great teams, anyway. Outshooting the Vikings who just a year earlier had one of the best offenses ever, out-defensing the Bucs, and then playing solid all-around in avenging their regular seaosn loss to the Titans.

I'm not familiar though with that controversial rule in the NFCCG against the Bucs you mentioned though. What happened there?

And I don't know about the 98 Broncos....if we're tlaking about the BEST teams, teams as close to perfect in every way, I'm not sure if a team that allowed over 300 points on defense should be in the top 10.

The 1999 Rams did indeed play posibly one of the easiest schedules I've ever seen....but you can't fault them for that, they didn't choose the schedule. They proved their worth in the playoffs by beating great teams, anyway. Outshooting the Vikings who just a year earlier had one of the best offenses ever, out-defensing the Bucs, and then playing solid all-around in avenging their regular seaosn loss to the Titans.

I'm not familiar though with that controversial rule in the NFCCG against the Bucs you mentioned though. What happened there?

And I don't know about the 98 Broncos....if we're tlaking about the BEST teams, teams as close to perfect in every way, I'm not sure if a team that allowed over 300 points on defense should be in the top 10.
You can't fault the Rams for just playing the teams on their schedule, but you sure can criticize their performance against playoff teams. The played 2 playoff teams in the regular season and lost both games. Their NFC Championship and Super Bowl wins were among the tightest in history, and their opponents in those games weren't particularly dominant teams overall.As for the 1998 Broncos, I'm borderline as to whether they should be in, but I definitely think they should be above the 1999 Rams. Both teams got early leads and beat teams into submission, but the Broncos were more balanced on offense and beat better teams by more in the playoffs.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...opic=209311&hl=

Was a little bored tonight, so I decided to put this together. I didn't give everything a whole lot of thought, so I'm reserving the right to make some changes, as people respond and give me more insight. Also, I'll edit in some more comments as we go along. Let me know what you think.....

1. 1985 Bears

18-1, #2 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +258 Points

What can I say that hasn't been said before? A very legitimate claim to the best defense and best running back of all time- a combo thats not easy to beat. And their passing game actually wasn't too bad either: 4th in the league in yards per pass attempt. They went 15-1 and dominated in the playoffs, winning by scores of 21-0, 24-0, and 46-10. A few highlights about the best team of the past twenty years: The only team on this list to both score over 400 points and give up under 200, their defense not only didn't give up the points but they also forced an amazing 54 turnovers, they outgained their playoff opponents 1023 yards to 434, in the super bowl the Patriots gained yardage on only one of their first 16 offensive plays.

2. 1991 Redskins

17-2, #1 Points Scored, #2 Points Allowed, +261 Points

Maybe the most underrated team of all time in my opinion. They came closer than any other team to matching the Dolphins undefeated season. They lost in week 17 when they sat their starters- a game they surely would've won if they had tried. Their only other loss? A 3 point loss in a game in which their opponent caught a hail mary and recovered an onside kick. And all that while playing one of the toughest schedules of any team on this list, as their regular season opponents had a 53% winning percentage. No team was close to the Skins this year, as they won in the playoffs 24-7, 41-10, and 37-24(and that game really wasn't even as close as the score looks). A completely balanced team- great coaching, great offense, great defense, great special teams. Their most impressive stat: They sacked opposing QBs 50 times while only giving up 9 sacks to their opponents.

3. 1989 49ers

17-2, #1 Points Scored, #3 Points Allowed, +189 Points

How do you stop a team that averages 9.5 yards on every pass attempt? I guess you don't. The 1989 49ers went 14-2, losing those two games by one point and four points respectively. Joe Montana's best season in my opinion- he completed 70+% of his passes and set the NFL record with a 112.4 passer rating. Before they played the Broncos in the Super Bowl, Terry Bradshaw commented: "There is no way the 49ers can lose. It could be 55-3 by halftime." They ended up "only" leading 27-3 at half and winning 55-10. Oh yeah....and some guy named Rice chipped in with 17 touchdowns.

4. 2004 Patriots

17-2, #4 Points Scored, #2 Points Allowed, +177 Points

This team didn't blow teams out, so I can't wow you with stats. After all they were only the 7th ranked offense and 9th ranked defense in 2004. However, this is a team that I just couldn't bet against, especially in the playoffs: They gave up only 3 points to the Manning-led Colts, went into Pittsburgh and that game was over by the end of the first half, and then they defeated a very good Eagles team in the Super Bowl. Corey Dillon is the missing link that really pushed them over the edge as a great team in my opinion, and we saw just how important he was to them as they played and lost to Pittsburgh in the regular season when he was injured. I still have no way of explaining that perplexing loss to Miami late in the year, but other than that, this team was as dominant as can be.

5. 1994 49ers

16-3, #1 Points Scored, #6 Points Allowed, +209 Points

The one knock on this team is an embarrassing 40-8 loss to the Eagles- an embarrassing loss for a team considered one of the best of all time. But this team was just too good to drop any further. After that game, they went on a rampage, only losing a meaningless week 17 game and absolutely destroying everyone in the playoffs. Perhaps the best offense in the history of the league, they averaged 43.7 points in the playoffs and the Chargers never even had a chance in a 49-26 Super Bowl loss. Steve Young matched Montana in 1989 by completing over 70% of his passes, and his rushing ability made him nearly impossible to defend. Add in Deion Sanders on defense and this might have been the most fun team to watch of all time.

6. 1996 Packers

16-3, #1 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +246 Points

The only team on this list to both lead the league in points scored and points allowed. Brett Favre gets a lot of the credit(and he surely deserves it), but their defense was just as dominant, leading the league in points allowed, yards allowed, and passing yards allowed(a very impressive stat for a winning team because teams usually pass more when they are behind, thus winning teams usually don't have great pass defense statistics). No team came with 14 points of them in the playoffs, which were a bit anti-climatic with the Packers facing the forgetable Panthers and Patriots in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl. Interestingly enough, they still lost to the Cowboys in the regular season- a team that had been their big stumbling block the previous few years. Would've been a bit more interesting if they had played in the playoffs in my opinion.

7. 1998 Broncos

17-2, #1 Points Scored, #7 Points Allowed, +192 Points

They won their first 13 games and flirted with perfection before finishing 14-2, with one of the losses being a meaningless week 16 game. Terrell Davis made life easy for John Elway, rushing for 2000 yards. We missed out on a fabulous Super Bowl when the 15-1 Vikings were upset by the Falcons in the NFC Championship game when their Gary Anderson, who hadn't missed a FG all year long, missed his first one on a game winning attempt. Instead we got a Denver blowout, capping their dominant playoff run. Their defense was rather pedestrian in the regular season(12th ranked yardage wise and they gave up 309 points), but they really turned it on in the postseason, where they only gave up 3 touchdowns: A one-yard drive by the Jets following a blocked punt, a kickoff return by Tim Dwight and a TD pass by Chris Chandler with less than two minutes remaining in the Super Bowl blowout.

8. 1986 Giants

17-2, #8 Points Scored, #2 Points Allowed, +137 Points

They lost their first game of the year by 3 points to the Cowboys and had a 5 point loss to a good Seahawks team that finished 10-6. Other than that, they were close to flawless: A 14-2 record and wins of 49-3, 17-0, and 39-20 in the playoffs. Lawerence Taylor had 20.5 en route to winning MVP- the first defensive player to win the award since 1971.

9. 2000 Ravens

16-4, #14 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +168 Points

Possibly the hardest team to rank on my list. I am a Ravens fan, but I honestly can say that I think I'm being objective here. Clearly the big knock on this team is their offense, which went 5 games in a row without scoring a touchdown.However, when your defense only allows one touchdown in 4 playoffs games(only one of which was at home) and your defense/special teams scores 4 touchdowns during that same stretch, you don't need much from your offense. I remember watching their AFC Championship game against Oakland- The Ravens scored on a long TD reception early in the game. I turned and said to my friend, "This game is over." And I meant it. Their defense was simply that good that I was completely confident that one score was enough. They set the all time record by only allowed 165 points, they also blew away the previous record by only allowing 2.69 yards per rush, they allowed under 4000 yards total. And by the end of the season their offense with Jonathon Ogden, Shannon Sharpe, and Jamal Lewis really wasn't as bad as they are made out to be, as they proved by scoring 34 points in the Super Bowl against a team that had just shut out the high-powered Vikings. Some will argue that I'm ranking them too highly, but the following stat really amazes me: After Dilfer took over, the Ravens outscored their opponents 294-96! That is more than a 3-1 margin and no team on this list even comes close to accomplishing that.

10. 1992 Cowboys

16-3, #2 Points Scored, #5 Points Allowed, +156 Points

The leading rusher, the highest rated passer, the 2nd most yards by a WR, the #1 ranked defense, and arguably the greatest o-line of all time. Had to beat a very tough 14-2 49ers team on the road in the NFC Championship game before dismantling the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl. A very complete team that could beat teams in a myriad of ways. There was so much star power on this team that its easy to forget about a guy like Jay Novacek, who was widely considered one of the best tight ends of his time. "America's Team", and a team that I absolutely despised being a Redskins fan.

11. 1993 Cowboys

15-4, #2 Points Scores, #2 Points Allowed, +147 Points

Emmitt Smith sat out the first two games due to a contract dispute, and the Cowboys started off 0-2. However, after he came back, nothing had changed from last year, including wins over SF and Buffalo in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl once again. They had a "bend but don't break" defense that wasn't too stingy as far as yardage and didn't create too many turnovers but only ended up giving up 229 points on the year. The ranking of these 2 Cowboys teams may seem a bit low, but I believe that their star power has caused many to overrate them. Statistically speaking, Irvin and Aikman aren't nearly as dominant as their reputations, and outside of rushing stats, this team isn't that impressive compared to the other teams on this list.

12. 2003 Pats

17-2, #12 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +110 Points

As I said about the 2004 version, if you look at the stats, you're not going to be really impressed with this team. However, they won games, and there is nobody not named Montana that I strikes more fear in opposing defenses late in games than Tom Brady. They got embarred by an inspired Buffalo Bills team(Ty Law situation) in week one and lost by 3 points to the Redskins in week 4. But after that they won 15 in a row, including 3 playoff games that were as close as possible. Its hard to rank this team because they weren't dominant at all, but 15 wins in a row is 15 wins in a row. A team without much star power at all, but they would come through in the clutch time and time again. Extremely well coached.

13. 1997 Broncos

15-4, #1 Points Scored, #7 Points Allowed, + 185 Points

12-4 was only good enough for the #4 seed, as the Chiefs went 13-3. But it set up one of the most entertaining postseason runs ever. After blowing out Jacksonville, Denver had to play on the road against Kansas City and Pittsburgh where they had lost against both teams in the regular season. It didn't matter as they won 14-10 and 24-21 respectively. That set up a great Super Bowl against the defending champion Green Bay Packers, in which Elway won his first Super Bowl, 31-24. The Broncos were a very balanced team and finished #1 in offense and #4 in defense. Terrell Davis became a star this year behind that great o-line, rushing for 1750 yards.

14. 1995 Cowboys

15-4, #3 Points Scored, #3 Points Allowed, +144 Points

Deion Sanders switched teams and brought the Super Bowl trophy back to Dallas. Emmitt Smith rushed for a staggering 25 touchdowns in one of the greatest seasons ever for a running back. The defense was a bit worse than their 1992 and 1993 teams, and they lost their #2 WR, Alvin Harper, in free agency. For those reasons, I rank this team lower than the other 2 Dallas teams on this list. The Steelers were competitive in the Super Bowl, but it was pretty clear throughout that they were simply outmatched, as the Cowboys ended up winning by ten.

15.2002 Bucs

15-4, #18 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +150 Points

A mini-version of the 2000 Ravens in my opinion. Their defense was tough, giving up only 196 points, forcing 31 interceptions, and leading the league in yards allowed. Brad Johnson and Keyshawn Johnson were servicable for the offense, although their leading rusher (Michael Pittman) only had just over 700 yards rushing, which I found very odd for a Super Bowl champ. In another odd happening, the New Orleans Saints, who didn't even make the playoffs, handed the Bucs 2 of their 4 regular season losses. The Bucs were very impressive in the playoffs though, dominating on the road against Philly in the NFC Championship Game and adding several late scores in the Super Bowl to blow out Oakland, 48-21.

16. 1990 Giants

16-3, #15 Points Scored, #1 Points Allowed, +124 Points

Fabulous defense, so-so offense, and one Scott Norwood miss equaled a Super Bowl win. Lawerence Taylor led a stingy defense that only let up 211 points on the year. They avenged a regular season loss by eeking out a 15-13 win at San Francisco in the NFC Championship before their classic Super Bowl victory. Surely one of the most entertaining Super Bowl runs.

17. 2001 Pats

14-5, #6 Points Scored, #6 Points Allowed, +99 Points

I'm a huge Brady fan and I was definitely rooting for this team to upset the Rams in the Super Bowl, but lets be honest: They caught the break of all breaks with the "tuck rule" call against Oakland. If two people sit down to play a game, neither of them know about a particular rule of the game, the game is played out and as they are playing someone comes by and tells them about that rule, and that rule decides the game, would you really consider whomever won to be the true victor? Because theres no way that any player on the field had even heard about the tuck rule. I've said in my previous two rankings of Pats teams that stats aren't really important with the Pats, so I won't harp too much on their 19th ranked offense or 24th ranked defense. But I will mention that they essentially had a rookie QB, might have had the least amount of talent ever on a Super Bowl winning team, and got the benefit of two calls(in addition to the tuck rule, after the Super Bowl the NFL changed the rule to say that no more than 5 seconds could run off the clock on a field goal, a rule which would've meant that the Rams would've had a few more seconds to try to win the Super Bowl if it had been implemented). They surely have evolved into one of the greatest dynasties in football history, but in their weakest year, I have to put them near the bottom of this list.

18. 1999 Rams

16-3, #1 Points Scored, #4 Points Allowed, +284 Points

One of the most overrated teams in NFL history I think. The "Greatest Show on Turf" played one team with a winning record in the regular season, and they lost. One team with a winning record! In the playoffs, they really should have lost to the Bucs in the NFC Championship Game. There was a key play late in the game where a Bucs receiver caught a ball that hit the ground, but the receiver had complete control over the ball even when it hit the ground. They ruled it incomplete. In the offseason, the NFL revised the rulebook to clarify the fact that it should have been a catch. Then in the Super Bowl, they won by one yard over a team that was only there because of a "miracle" kick return. Yes, the Rams stats were impressive, but I believe that 1999 was a weak year all around. The four favored teams coming into the year were Denver, Minnesota, NY Jets, and Atlanta. Elway retired and Terrell Davis got injured, Cunningham missed half the season, Testaverde missed the entire year, and Jamal Anderson missed the entire year. Only the Vikings were able to even be competitive. As a result, there was a lot of mediocrity that year, which enabled the Rams to take advantage and win the Super Bowl. Their offense, while successful, was very one dimensional in the playoffs, as they only rushed for 111 yards during 3 playoff games. I feel like many of the great defenses on this list would've taken advantage of that.

19. 1987 Redskins

14-4, #5 Points Scored, #6 Points Allowed, +94 Points

They were only 11-4. There were two dominant teams this year: The 13-2 SF 49ers and the 12-3 New Orleans Saints(and consider that they had to play each other twice, so they were really a combined 23-3 in other games). And the Redskins somehow avoided playing both of them in the playoffs, as the 8-7 Minnesota Vikings upset both of them before the Skins beat them. The Redskins, in fact, barely escaped their first playoff game, narrowly beating Chicago by 4. Moreover, the 22nd ranked defense didn't scare anyone. However, despite all of that they were actually pretty close to an undefeated season, as their 4 losses came by 1, 4, 4, and 2 points. And then they beat Denver 42-10 in the Super Bowl. Despite the fact that I'm a huge Skins fan, I have to rank them low due to the aforementioned factors.

20. 1988 49ers

13-6, #7 Points Scored, #8 Points Allowed, +75 Points

An average 10-6 record, nearly 300 points allowed, and a very close Super Bowl victory hurt the 49ers ranking here. However, its tough to bet against Montana and Rice, and they were very impressive in winning the NFC Championship game in Chicago, 28-3. With their defense, its hard to say. On one hand, they were 3rd in yards allowed. But on the other hand, they gave up nearly 300 points. They did lose quite a few heartbreakers, which is different for a Montana-led thing, but I guess they were the victors when it mattered most. Amazing drive against the Bengals to win the Super Bowl.

1991 Redskins?

The 1992 Cowboys scored 409 pointsThe 1991 Redskins scored 485 points

Advantage: Redskins

The 1992 Cowboys let up 243 points

The 1991 Redskins let up 224 points

The 1992 Cowboys were 13-3 with all 3 losses coming in games they fully tried to win

The 1991 Redskins were 14-2 including a meaningless week 17 loss

The 1992 Cowboys worst game was a 31-7 loss in which they were thoroughly dominated

The 1991 Redskins biggest loss was a 3pt loss in which their opponent caught a hail mary and recovered an onside kick

The 1992 Cowboys gained 5718 total yards on offense

The 1991 Redskins gained 5820 total yards on offense

The 1992 Cowboys allowed 4278 total yards on defense

The 1991 Redskins allowed 4638 total yards on defense

Advantage: Cowboys

The 1992 Cowboys intercepted 17 passes

The 1991 Redskins intercepted 27 passes

The 1992 Cowboys threw 15 interceptions

The 1991 Redskins threw 11 interceptions

The 1992 Cowboys forced and recovered 21 fumbles

The 1991 Redskins forced and recovered 24 fumbles

The 1992 Cowboys fumbled and lost the ball 19 times

The 1991 Redskins fumbled and lost the ball 16 times

The 1992 Cowboys had 6 pro bowlers

The 1991 Redskins had 7 pro bowlers

The 1992 Cowboys had 44 sacks

The 1991 Redskins had 50 sacks

The 1992 Cowboys gave up 23 sacks

The 1991 Redskins gave up 9 sacks

The 1992 Cowboys averaged 18.891 yards per kickoff return

The 1991 Redskins averaged 18.897 yards per kickoff return

The 1992 Cowboys allowed 20.3 yards per kickoff return

The 1991 Redskins allowed 17.5 yards per kickoff return

The 1992 Cowboys averaged 12.5 yards per punt return

The 1991 Redskins averaged 13.3 yards per punt return

The 1992 Cowboys allowed 11.7 yards per punt return

The 1991 Redskins allowed 6.1 yards per punt return

The 1992 Cowboys averaged 43.0 yards per punt

The 1991 Redskins averaged 39.8 yards per punt

Advantage: Cowboys

The 1992 Cowboys made 24/35 field goals(68%)

The 1991 Redskins made 31/43 field goals(72%)

ESPN.com writer, Eddie Epstein came up with a forumla called "adjusted power index" which basically ranks all teams taking all factors into consideration. He explains his formula here.

The 1992 Cowboys did not make the list of top 10 all time

The 1991 Redskins had the 5th highest ranking of all time

:own3d: :own3d: :own3d: :own3d:

The 1999 Rams played one of the easiest schedules of all time and then barely won in the playoffs(only beating TB on a fluke rule that would be changed the next season and then beating Tenn by 1 yard). Compare that to many others who played a tough schedule and then dominated in the playoffs...The OP has the 1999 Rams ranked way too high.

I think the original list is pretty solid, although I'd add the '86 Giants and take off the 2004 Patriots. I also think that while the '85 Bears seemed truly unbeatable, my vote for Best Team ever (of the Super Bowl era) goes to the '78 Steelers.

1. 1985 Chicago Bears

3. 1976 Oakland Raiders

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1984 San Francisco 49ers

6. 1983 Los Angeles Raiders

7. 1986 New York Giants

8. 1966 Green Bay Packers

9. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1998 Denver Broncos

We are not talking dynasties so I left any one individual Patriots/Cowboys teams off the list but collectively I think only the Steelers teams were better.
The Niners teams were better than all of them.

I'd say that the 2002 Buccaneers should be at least in the top 10. Their Defense outscored the #1 offense in the league, and they beat the tar out of the Raiders, in spite of a few obvious bad calls, namely the first play of the game, where the Raiders got the ball from a "fumble" on like the 20 yard line.

Last edited:
Admittedly I am a homer, but the '86 Giants have to be there. Not top five, but definately top 10. One of the most dominating defensive seasons ever. They beat some great teams and were the true class of the league that year.

1991 Redskins?

ESPN.com writer, Eddie Epstein came up with a forumla called "adjusted power index" which basically ranks all teams taking all factors into consideration. He explains his formula here.The 1992 Cowboys did not make the list of top 10 all time

They won ONE superbowl and then what? Dallas went on to win two more.

Owned my ###....... :rolleyes:

I'd say that the 2002 Buccaneers should be at least in the top 10.  Their Defense outscored the #1 offense in the league, and they beat the tar out of the Raiders, in spite of a few obvious bad calls, namely the first play of the game, where the Raiders got the ball from a "fumble" on like the 20 yard line.
Theres no way that the 2002 Bucs can be put over the 2000 Ravens, so I'd have a hard time putting them in the top 10.The Ravens D was definitely better than the Bucs...I don't think anyone will argue that. That isn't to take anything away from the Bucs D that year- they were great, but they were not as good as the 2000 Ravens.

What many people don't know is that the Ravens also had a better offense! The 2002 Bucs were 18th in points scored. The 2000 Ravens were 14th. The Bucs were 24th in yardage. The Ravens were 16th.

1991 Redskins?

ESPN.com writer, Eddie Epstein came up with a forumla called "adjusted power index" which basically ranks all teams taking all factors into consideration. He explains his formula here.The 1992 Cowboys did not make the list of top 10 all time

And if you count the 80s and not arbitrarily select your years, then the Skins add in 2 more super bowls and they're even. But who cares? Theres no point in that because this list is for individual years, not dynastys. If you want to say that the early 90s Cowboys were better than the early 90s Skins, I'll totally accept that.

But you're an obvious homer if you think that any of those Cowboys teams were better than the 1991 Redskins.

Please present an argument using stats and not your biased opinion for why you think that any of those Cowboys teams were better in that one year than the 1991 Redskins....I can't wait for this.

Of all the lists, I think Doctor Detroit has it. Nice Job :thumbup:
Thanks but I just used my football knowledge, tried to be inpartial along with being a football fan first. I think some people get wrapped around the axel with their own teams and are unable separate fact from fiction regardless of some unscientific flow chart used to determine who is best. There are just too many factors to include in this discussion so this is opinion based on knowledge and that is all. I'm sure all the fans who had teams win a Super Bowl will have their team in the top ten for good reason. I'm sure those fans from multiple Super Bowl Champs will have multiple teams on their list. They know their team better than they know other teams and they have good reasons.

1991 Redskins?

And if you count the 80s and not arbitrarily select your years, then the Skins add in 2 more super bowls and they're even. But who cares? Theres no point in that because this list is for individual years, not dynastys. If you want to say that the early 90s Cowboys were better than the early 90s Skins, I'll totally accept that.

But you're an obvious homer if you think that any of those Cowboys teams were better than the 1991 Redskins.

Please present an argument using stats and not your biased opinion for why you think that any of those Cowboys teams were better in that one year than the 1991 Redskins....I can't wait for this.
Dallas beat them that year......

1991 Redskins?

How about this:
Sept. 23, 1990: Washington Redskins over Dallas Cowboys, 19-15.

Nov. 22, 1990: Dallas Cowboys over Washington Redskins, 27-17.
The 1991 Cowboys team was better than the 1991 Redskins on at least one day. And I think we can all agree that the 1992-1995 Cowboys were much better than the 1991 version.

1. 1985 Chicago Bears

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

6. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders

I have a feeling I'm missing a really obvious team or 2, though..... :wall:
dude..this list sucks..first of all, the GB Packers from 1996 do NOT belong on the list..two kick returns for TDs from Desmond Howard and a late unsportsmanlike penalty won the game for the Packers..nothing spectacular about that team, whatsoever..you don't think the 1985 Bears woulda crushed them? or the 2000 Ravens, or 1990 AND 1986 GIANTS??

con man.get with it...

as for Miami, they belong AT #1,no ifs,and,buts.only undefeated team ever, thats got to mean something.

2004 Patriots????? oh please..

Obviously you are too young to remember (or just too naiive ) to put the 1966 AND 1967 GB Packers on that list, the first SB winners, first to win back-2-back SB's and in dominating fashion..they blew out Oakland and KC in both games..

this list has to be changed:

how you can forget to put the 1986 Giants on it, is a travesty and an injustice!

definitely the 3rd greatest defense to ever win a SB, behind only the 1990 Ravens and the 1985 Bears...Phil Simms threw only 2(two) incomplete passes , a record that will stand for ALL TIME, IMO...

absolutely one of the best QB performances in the SB , EVER.

they thoroughly DOMINATED the hapless Denver team , 2 weeks after bashing the Faulty-Niners 49-0 in the NFC Championship Game...

cmon now..

1991 Redskins?

Dallas beat them that year......
Yes, Dallas beat them in one game by 3 points in which they caught a hail mary at the end of the first half and recovered an onside kick. The Redskins also beat the Cowboys that year.I can admit that. I can also admit that the early 90s Cowboys were better as a whole than the early 90s Redskins. I am not being a blatant homer- I can admit these things.

But what do any of those things have to do with the fact that the 1991 Redskins were better than the 1992 Cowboys, better than the 1993 Cowboys, and better than the 1995 Cowboys???

Please stop avoiding the issue. PICK ANY ONE OF THOSE COWBOYS TEAMS AND DO A STATISTICAL COMPARISON TO THE 1991 REDSKINS. I already did one with the 1992 Cowboys, and you saw the results. But stop throwing out meaningless one liners that show you are just trying to avoid the issue. When I compared the 1991 Skins and 92 Cowboys, I did not do it from a homers perspective. I included EVERY SINGLE meaningful stat or fact I could find including ones that favored the Cowboys. I was not biased. I think you clearly are.

1991 Redskins?

How about this:
Sept. 23, 1990: Washington Redskins over Dallas Cowboys, 19-15.

Nov. 22, 1990: Dallas Cowboys over Washington Redskins, 27-17.
The 1991 Cowboys team was better than the 1991 Redskins on at least one day. And I think we can all agree that the 1992-1995 Cowboys were much better than the 1991 version.
As I just said, they recoved an onside kick and caught a hail mary to beat the Skins by 3. If you want to say that shows they were clearly better that day, then I won't dispute that, although I think that many people would. However, thats totally meaningless.-The 94 Eagles were better than the 94 49ers on one day

-The 04 Dolphins were better than the 04 Pats on one day

-The 85 Dolphins were better than the 85 Bears on one day

-The 98 Giants were better than the 98 Broncos on one day

I could go on and on.

None of that changes the fact that as a whole the 1991 Redskins were better than the 1992 Cowboys, better than the 1993 Cowboys, and better than the 1995 Cowboys.

ETA: The games you mention are from 1990 when the Skins were 10-6 and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. You're one year early.

1. 1985 Chicago Bears

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

6. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders

I have a feeling I'm missing a really obvious team or 2, though.....  :wall:
dude..this list sucks..first of all, the GB Packers from 1996 do NOT belong on the list..two kick returns for TDs from Desmond Howard and a late unsportsmanlike penalty won the game for the Packers..nothing spectacular about that team, whatsoever..you don't think the 1985 Bears woulda crushed them? or the 2000 Ravens, or 1990 AND 1986 GIANTS??

con man.get with it...

as for Miami, they belong AT #1,no ifs,and,buts.only undefeated team ever, thats got to mean something.

Obviously you are too young to remember (or just too naiive ) to put the 1966 AND 1967 GB Packers on that list, the first SB winners, first to win back-2-back SB's and in dominating fashion..they blew out Oakland and KC in both games..

how you can forget to put the 1986 Giants on it, is a travesty and an injustice!

definitely the 3rd greatest defense to ever win a SB, behind only the 1990 Ravens and the 1985 Bears...Phil Simms threw only 2(two) incomplete passes , a record that will stand for ALL TIME, IMO...

they thoroughly DOMINATED the hapless Denver team , 2 weeks after bashing the Faulty-Niners 49-0 in the NFC Championship Game...

cmon now..
Give credit where it's due ... the Niners scored 3 points in that game! The Giants did shut out the Redskins 17-0 in those same playoffs. That may be where you're getting your zeroes confused. It was also the third time that season NY beat Washington. Up until last year it was the only time in Joe Gibbs's NFL Coaching career that he'd been shut out. :football:

1. 1985 Chicago Bears

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

6. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders

con man.get with it...

cmon now..
As for the part I bolded.....yes, I think the 85 Bears would've won. That's why I put the Bears at #1! :rolleyes: Um...the 96 Packers definetly DO belong on this list. First of all, Desmond Howard had ONE kickoff return for a TD, not 2. Secondly, those 96 Packers ranked #1 in points scored, #1 in points allowed, #1 in defense, and #5 in offense. Those are insane stats, and the Pack was dominant on eveyr level of the ball....including special teams. They're a part of the game too, so it's New England's fault that they couldn't cover Howard, anyway.

The 1966 and 1967 Packers were great but not as good as the 96 Packers. The 67 Packers were only 9-4-1, and Bart Starr had a bad season, so that automatically discounts them. The 1966 Packers were a great team, but I didn't include them because by then, the NFL was still very much ahead of the AFL....so I was reluctant to put them in the top 10 because they had such a big advantage in the SuperBowl. The 66 Packers were great, though, and I wouldn't have a problem wth anyone putting them on their top 10 list...I just decided not to.

I'll say right now though that neither the 66 or 67 Packers could match the 96 Packers....a big reason being that while the 66 and 96 Pack were both similiarily dominant, Brett Favre was simply better than Bart Starr was, and would make a difference.

The 86 Giants are very deserving, but in a top 10 list, you have to exclude SOME teams....and I just personally think that they weren't quite as good as the 10 I have.

I didn't put the 72 Dolphins at #1 because their passing attack was average. Amazing team, but not the absolute best IMHO.

1. 1985 Chicago Bears

4. 1972 Miami Dolphins

5. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

6. 1999 St. Louis Rams

10. 1976 Oakland Raiders

con man.get with it...

cmon now..
I didn't see the 66 or 67 Packers, so I'll ignore that point. I agree with you about the 86 Giants. The 1996 Packers are the only team of the past 20+ years to rank #1 on offense and defense. They outscored their opponents by over a 2-1 margin. In the playoffs their closest game was 14 points. Nothing spectacular? Thats ridiculous.

The undefeated Dolphins don't even belong in the top 5 imo. They went undefeated on a weak schedule and weren't even favored in the Super Bowl. So the Dolphins went undefeated and the 1991 Redskins lost one game in which they have up a hail mary and an onside kick(pretty fluke plays)...that really make the Dolphins better? I just use the Skins as an example because I know them well, but I could compare quite a few teams to the Dolphins and they would come out ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread