What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Torrey Smith in for a huge week? (1 Viewer)

Through 2 games so far:

5.5 catches for 88.5 yards on 22 Targets. 85 in 1 game, 92 in the other.

Through 2 games so far, Texans D:

4 Touchdowns to WR's. Even Jake Locker threw for 2 TD's against them.

I think he's in for a huge week.

Unless Torrey Smith is going to line up in the slot so he can beat Brice McCain, or at TE so he can beat a safety, I wouldn't get too excited. Jonathan Joseph wasn't the one giving up TDs on the Houston D.

Possibly, Hou has been susceptible to big play deep strikes in the past especially against Bal. If they can get Torrey matched up in man against McCain I wouldn't be surprised if he and Flacco connect a few times on the deep ball.

The wild card to me is if Ed Reed is finally going to play this weekend.

8-10 targets

4-5 catches

50-100 yards

0-2 TD's

you never know with Torrey Smith - most unreliable #1 WR on his team WR in football

Possibly, Hou has been susceptible to big play deep strikes in the past especially against Bal. If they can get Torrey matched up in man against McCain I wouldn't be surprised if he and Flacco connect a few times on the deep ball.

The wild card to me is if Ed Reed is finally going to play this weekend.
Ed Reed is toast...non factor.

He's definitely been inconsistent in the past. But through 2 games--to have 85 and 92 yards--on games where he didn't break the long TD--also considering Boldin's gone, the D has looked suspect so far forcing Flacco to throw--I think he's going to be more consistent this year.

Also, as far as Jonathan Joseph--fair point, but they just faced the Browns and Haden last week. He still managed solid yardage.

Marlon Brown--I think Smith is the better receiver and would roll with him if I'm picking between the 2. But I've got Brown in over Jennings in a league.

If Geno Smith (rookie), Santonio Holmes (on a bad foot) and Stephen Hill (who drops everything) did this against the Buffalo secondary last week:

Smith: 16/29/331/2/2

Holmes: 5/154/1 (154 is holmes' career high)

Hill: 3/108/1

Flacco, Smith and Brown should be in for good days especially given that Rice is questionable and is rumored to sit. I don't think it will matter which WR you start. That Bills secondary is just what the Ravens need to let their passing game take over and let Rice sit this one out.

The Bills secondary was without Jarius Byrd and Stephon Gilmore before the Jets game and lost Leodis McKelvin during.

I'm nervous about the expectations for Torrey Smith this week. Torrey Smith has been very consistent in 2013. He's also been largely unexplosive. You want 9 points in a non-PPR? Dial up Torrey Smith.

Theoretically, this is a nice match up for him this week at BUF. He's up to a 94% start rate on CBS, so mostly everyone that owns him is starting him. But there could be a lot of disappointed owners sending him back to the bench when the likes of Josh Gordon, Denarius Moore, Santonio Holmes and Eddie Royal outscore him again.

One problem for Smith is when BAL has been inside the 5, they've been going jumbo and Smith is on the sideline. Eddie Royal has 2 or 3 TD's from within the 5, IIRC. Gotta be on the field in the red zone to have a chance to score.

I'm nervous about the expectations for Torrey Smith this week. Torrey Smith has been very consistent in 2013. He's also been largely unexplosive. You want 9 points in a non-PPR? Dial up Torrey Smith.

Theoretically, this is a nice match up for him this week at BUF. He's up to a 94% start rate on CBS, so mostly everyone that owns him is starting him. But there could be a lot of disappointed owners sending him back to the bench when the likes of Josh Gordon, Denarius Moore, Santonio Holmes and Eddie Royal outscore him again.

One problem for Smith is when BAL has been inside the 5, they've been going jumbo and Smith is on the sideline. Eddie Royal has 2 or 3 TD's from within the 5, IIRC. Gotta be on the field in the red zone to have a chance to score.
I think you mean Marlon Brown... yes, Brown has been the target for Flacco around the GL.

I was pointing out that Royal is in the game for the Chargers in goal line packages, whereas T Smith is not in at the goal line for the Ravens.

Dez Bryant and B Marshall are other examples of WRs heavily involved in their team's red zone packages, but those two are a different caliber WR (in FF lineups 100% of the time).

Marlon Brown's more involved than Smith down there, but I've seen the Ravens run a lot of jumbo packages where a pass to the outside isn't even a thought.

He's been consistent, and broken some long plays, they just haven't gotten him into the end zone yet.

Law of averages, he's got to score eventually. Bills secondary being garbage--gotta like this week.

I'm starting Smith in 1 and Brown in 1.

So is Gilmore or McKelvin back this week?
gilmore is out, and mckelvin is very sketchy.

if he doesn't go they'll move aaron williams, who's been playing safety, over to corner --- think they actually converted him to safety from corner.

jim leonhard would get full time snaps at safety for williams.

even if mckelvin plays, you'd have to think he'd be compromised, and might even leave the game.

I think torrey might be on my draftstreet team this week

here's what pff has to say about justin rogers at the other corner position -- recap from last week's game

Often times our PFF grades will reveal something that was difficult to see during the original broadcast, but CB Justin Rogers’ (-3.8) difficult game was as clear as day for everyone. We also warn to take caution when comparing coverage metrics to coverage grades, as the metrics don’t always tell the whole story, but again in this case, the numbers speak for themselves. Rogers was targeted eight times and surrendered six receptions for an absurd 247 yards. That represents 74% of the Jets’ gross passing total.

It started early as WR Stephen Hill got separation on a double move for a 45-yard gain with 14:00 to go in the first quarter and then Hill got him again at the 7:06 mark of the second with the go route for a touchdown. It didn’t get much better for Rogers, as he picked up a pass interference on yet another deep route from Hill and then was the culprit on the game-winning touchdown to Holmes. He completely lost track of the ball in the air before losing track of Holmes as well. Rogers finished the day with a -5.3 coverage grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree brown and Smith should have nice numbers this week. Starting Brown in two leagues due to injuries and byes and feel pretty good about it...bills def is as bad as it usually is

Users who are viewing this thread