What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Total sports league (1 Viewer)

FUBAR

Footballguy
A friend and I were batting around this idea at work and wanted to know if anything like this has ever been done. Also, looking for ideas.

The concept is a "total sports fantasy league" where all owners, preferably 12, own a team in each of the four major sports. he wanted to include NASCAR, I can't stand it.

Each sport would use a simple set of rules, basic yahoo type format. KISS, this will be complicated enough.

We'd draft either in one huge draft involving all players, or 4 seperate drafts, but allow trading between all sports.

The rookie drafts for each sport would be seperate each year.

The payouts would be based on each sport for part of it, then a total champion, based on all sports. basically, winning a league would give you 1 point, 2nd place is 2 points, etc. Low score wins.

I'm definetly flexible on the details, but would love to get this going in time for the NFL, NHL and NBA seasons.

The initial draft would probably take place sometime between May and August, and include rookies. The season currently underway would not count, so 2006 baseball wouldn't count.

A friend and I were batting around this idea at work and wanted to know if anything like this has ever been done. Also, looking for ideas.

The concept is a "total sports fantasy league" where all owners, preferably 12, own a team in each of the four major sports. he wanted to include NASCAR, I can't stand it.

Each sport would use a simple set of rules, basic yahoo type format. KISS, this will be complicated enough.

We'd draft either in one huge draft involving all players, or 4 seperate drafts, but allow trading between all sports.

The rookie drafts for each sport would be seperate each year.

The payouts would be based on each sport for part of it, then a total champion, based on all sports. basically, winning a league would give you 1 point, 2nd place is 2 points, etc. Low score wins.

I'm definetly flexible on the details, but would love to get this going in time for the NFL, NHL and NBA seasons.

The initial draft would probably take place sometime between May and August, and include rookies. The season currently underway would not count, so 2006 baseball wouldn't count.
Very interesting. I wouldn't be into the NASCAR but I'd do golf if push came to shove. The big four NFL, BAseball, NBA, and NHL. I think you could weight the payouts with voting to determine which sport is more important and what that winner should get. Like NFL 40, Baseball 25, NBA 20, NHL 15 percent of the weighted total. At first I'd make it real basic in drafting and scoring until you get through year one and two. When would the season begin and end? I guess logically you begin with the NFL this fall and finish with baseball in 2007 as the end. There would be three drafts in two months but that is doable if people have a heads up. :2cents: :popcorn:

Was involved in something similar where we basically had the same people in a Football, Baseball and Hockey league. The problem with it was that people would make deals in more than one league at the same time with another owner, they would end up being a bit lopsided in each league making each owner stronger in one league and weaker in the other. Like the idea of an overall champion and hopefully that would eliminate this.

Was involved in something similar where we basically had the same people in a Football, Baseball and Hockey league. The problem with it was that people would make deals in more than one league at the same time with another owner, they would end up being a bit lopsided in each league making each owner stronger in one league and weaker in the other. Like the idea of an overall champion and hopefully that would eliminate this.
Actually, this may encourage "lopsided" deals in one league at the expense of another.For example, someone might trade Yao Ming and a throw in NFL player for Terrell Owens and a throw in NBAer. I could see a rule where the leagues had to balance out in each trade - you couldn't trade a NBA player for a NHL player straight, but this isn't neccessarily the way to go.

You'd have to balance your skills. I may know a lot about the NHL, but little about the NBA, so do I concentrate on the NHL at the expense of the NBA?

The only problem I can see here is we'd probably have an imbalance in each league, but overall I'd think things would even out. This is why I wouldn't neccessarily want to "weight" each league. Nice idea, but I'd be concerned that it would place an over-emphasis on that league. Maybe this isn't a problem, depending on the owners?

I use to be a 4 sport fantasy stud but lost interest over the years other then football. There are lots of leagues like this out there. I have even seen some posted on the date thread where this perhaps could get posted to judge interest. For me Nascar would be out. Hockey is a better fantasy game then NBA but it would be hard to find interest in both at same time since both are winter sports. I gave up Hockey when players striked! Loved it before strike. Basketball is too easy for me.

I stick to baseball and football though travel a lot in summer and can't maintain baseball the whole season so just play baseball for free anymore.

Maybe try a 3 sport league with Baseball, Football and either Hockey or Basketball as the third sport. You might get better interest.

I've been mulling this over with a friend as well, but I don't have the time to get it together and run it.

This is how I would structure it (much as you describe):

#1 - victory conditions (since you have to know what you have to win before you decide how to win it): Teams are ranked in each sport based on final season standings with 12 points for first, 1 point for last. Championship winner gets an additional 5 points, runner up gets another 3 points. Seasons used are: 2006 Baseball, 2006-2007 Hockey, 2006-2007 Basketball, 2006-2007 Football.

#2 - Prizes: Prizes can be awarded any way you see fit, but I'd do something like: Championship team in each sport gets their entrance fee back. Of the remaining, 50% goes to the team with the most points, 35% to the next team, and 15% to the 3rd team.

#3 - Draft: I like the idea of drafting everyone together (all sports). Would make for a LONG LONG draft, but that way people could execute a complete strategy.

#4 - Trading: You could indeed trade between sports (e.g. Terrell Owens for Yao Ming). However, since vicotry is determined by overall standings in ALL sports equally, if somoene tanks in one sport (e.g. finishes last in Basketball) and doesn't make up at least that much ground in Football, they'll be hurting their overall performance.

If you're going to go all-out like this, you've got to do it with an auction and salary cap. Complex as hell, but worth the effort to make this totally over the top and bring out the super :nerd: in all the owners. I've often wondered if it is at all possible to run a league with a real dollar auction and no salary cap so people can be frugal, or more than likely use the George Steinbrenner approach. Since its real dollars though, they will pay for it just like George.

Actually ESPN has a version, far more fantasy games than just the main 4, they call it uber fantasy. Me and 2 guys tried to run a single team one year, and it was more fantasy than I could handle. It includes the likes of Fantasy Bass Fishing, try picking a winner for that every week...

At the end of the year you get points for how you placed in each "sport".

http://games.espn.go.com/uber/front

Users who are viewing this thread