What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trading to an owner you are playing that week (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Does this affect your decision? I was just about to accept a trade that would have sent Julius Thomas to an owner until I saw that I was playing him this week and the Cowboys just gave up 10-136-1 to Gates. It was for a RB on a bye so wouldn't have helped me this week. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Told him I had to wait a week - but I may lose the player. Do you ever trade with the guy you are playing in a given week?

Does this affect your decision? I was just about to accept a trade that would have sent Julius Thomas to an owner until I saw that I was playing him this week and the Cowboys just gave up 10-136-1 to Gates. It was for a RB on a bye so wouldn't have helped me this week. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Told him I had to wait a week - but I may lose the player. Do you ever trade with the guy you are playing in a given week?
i sure do

Doing it right now. He doesn't know we play each other yet, and I am trading some of my players on bye this week to him.

I don't, if I think it will effect the outcome of that week's game to my detriment. Every win is important and one loss can make the difference in making the playoffs or not (or the seeding in them). My feeling is, the deal is that good for them, they can wait a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
One year this burned me big time. I have vowed never to trade with someone im playing and i have stuck with that rule ever since.

Depends on the circumstances. If, for example, I'd be giving up players I'd normally use and getting players who I cannot use because of a bye week, then no, I wouldn't make the trade.

Otherwise, there's no reason not to. If it makes your team better, then trade. A week from now, the deal that you're about to strike may not longer be there.

I usually don't have a problem with it unless it's late in the season, I'm in the thick of a playoff chase, and every win is even more dear than usual. Otherwise, my general thought is that if this move hurts me next week, and then helps me every subsequent week, it's still a net positive. Sometimes I'll use the fact that we're playing this week to get a little bit more out of the other owner than he'd otherwise be willing to give.

Edit: I play mostly dynasty, which further reinforces my willingness to trade with someone I'm playing this week. If a trade is bad for me this week and good for me for the next 5+ years, it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to do this on the other side. If I have 1 or 2 players on bye (who aren't essential players - Think RB2 and WR2/3s), I almost always send out an early week offer to the guy I'm playing for one of his players. So long as the players are approximately equal, if it gives me an extra starter and takes a starter away from the opponent, and helps me win that week, its probably worth it. The trick is to not get carried away and make a deal just because of the bye.

Users who are viewing this thread