What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

travdogg's 3 round mock draft (1 Viewer)

travdogg

Footballguy
This is where I think guys will be drafted, not where I would draft them. I tried to put a little analysis of each player, but probably put too much as its a long read. Anyway without any further ado:

1. Jax=Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson, he's been the #1 pick since long before we knew who'd have the pick. About as complete a package as you can have for a QB.

2. NYJ=Zach Wilson QB BYU, has such a quick release. Like Favre-esq. He'd be the #1 pick in many drafts.

3. SF=Justin Fields QB Ohio St, love his aggressiveness throwing deep, and his mobility. He's the #1 dynasty QB if he ends up here.

4. Atl=Kyle Pitts TE Florida, best TE prospect I've ever seen. Guys 6-6 shouldn't be this agile. Pitts would arguably be the top WR in the draft if he played there. I think he's the rare TE who could be a top-5 guy as a rookie. If he lands here or Cinci, I wouldn't argue with someone taking him 1.1 in a dynasty draft. All that said, I'd personally prefer Sewell if I were the Falcons, just as far as improving the overall offense.

5. Cin=Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU, while he's smaller and faster, I came away from his tape seeing some Dez Bryant to his game. Just that same style of just beating up CBs. While I'd prefer Sewell here, I think the Bengals may try to appease Burrow here, at least as a tiebreaker.

6. Mia=Penei Sewell T Oregon, he should be the 1st non-QB off the board in my opinion. The best Tackle prospect of at least the  last 5 years. I won't go as far as Gil Brandt and compare him to Anthony Munoz, but Sewell has no holes in his game, and is as safe as it gets. There is elite upside too, obviously, but I feel like his floor is a pro bowl level guy. 

7. Det=Patrick Surtain CB Alabama, I think this is a pick that nobody is talking about, that has a great chance of happening. CB is a huge need, and Surtain is a pretty sure thing. I think Okudah bounces back with Patricia gone too, as the Lions look to rebuild that defense.

8. Car=Jaylen Waddle WR Alabama, he's so explosive, but I do think durability questions are warranted. I wouldn't take him over Smith, but I think he's a better fit for what the Carolina wants to do. He could slip right into Curtis Samuel's spot, or kick DJ Moore inside more. I do buy that they are committed to Darnold this year, and aren't looking for a QB, which is/was foolish in my eyes, but adding a high end pass catcher can only help.

9. Den=Trey Lance QB ND State, rocket arm that just needs to be coached up. He relies on his legs too much, but also didn't have great WR talent. 

10. Dal=Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina, great in press-man, but is a little grabby and that might only get worse. That said, he has the size to fit on Dan Quinn's defense.

11. NYG=Rashawn Slater T Northwestern, Slater would be the 1st Tackle off the board in many classes, but obviously shouldn't be this year. His size may make some people nervous, he's small and has short arms, but nothing on his tape shows that being an issue. He's kind of the OL version of Devonta Smith...speaking of:

12. Phil=Devonta Smith WR Alabama, I think his weight issues are somewhat overblown. He played the top CBs in college and it was never an issue then. He and Reagor could be a nice combo long term.

13. LAC=Christian Darrisaw T Virginia Tech, Chargers have been looking for OL help for seemingly 10 years. This is a perfect match of talent and need. Only knock is that he was on such a run heavy team, he didn't see many complex blitz packages. He may also be a better run blocker than pass blocker. 

14. Min=Alijah Vera-Tucker G USC, reminds me some of Brandon Scherff, in that he's either a good Tackle, or a great Guard. Model on consistency from down to down. Probably a better run blocker than pass blocker. Not sure if he or Ezra would play LT in this scenario.

15. NE= Trevon Moehrig S TCU, I don't seriously see Mac Jones as a QB for the Pats. Moehrig is the ideal safety prospect for NE. He's great in man coverage, great tackler, great blitzer. Could honestly play CB or LB, which screams Belichick. Crazy strength for a Safety too, with 33 bench reps. 

16. Ari=Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech, probably the best CB in the draft, but back surgery is always scary. I don't know that I'd be confident to take him on the top-20.

17. LV=Greg Newsome CB Northwestern, elite zone corner fits great in the new defense. Simply does not get beat deep.

18. Mia=Micah Parsons LB Penn St, likely gets pushed down due to his off field mistakes. Likely ends up being a mistake. Parsons is probably the best defensive player in this draft. 

19. Was=Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame, amazing in coverage, but has some issues against the run. Covering the middle of the field could make that defense scary good going forward.

20. Chi=Mac Jones QB Alabama, I think the media might be higher on Jones than the NFL is. Arm strength is a huge question mark, but he has excellent poise. Pretty much the opposite of the last couple Bears QBs.

21. Ind=Kwity Paye DE Michigan, Colts type prospect all the way. Somewhat raw, freakish athlete. 4.5 40 with 36 bench reps is a crazy combo especially for a 260 pounder. That said, he could use some refinement, and that is what keeps him from the top-15 to me.

22. Ten=Teven Jenkins T Oklahoma St, another guy I think the NFL likes more than I do. I think he's more in the 30's for me. Just feels risky like all Oklahoma State guys do, because of how weird their offense is. That said his dominant run blocking ability would certainly appeal to the Titans who took a T last year in the 1st round who didn't have even 40% Jenkins ability.

23. NYJ=Najee Harris RB Alabama, I'd never take him this high, but it seems the NFL loves him. He's a weird prospect, as he's 6-2 230, but kind of a finesse RB. Tends to dance a lot for a guy his size, but excels as a receiver out of the backfield. I think the Jets are a strong candidate to go all-in on the offensive side and rely on Saleh to coach up the defense, this is a pick in that direction.

24. Pit=Jamin Davis LB Kentucky, unbelievable quickness. More athletic than most CBs. He and Bush could completely control the middle of the field in the passing game. Not a sure thing as a 1 year wonder, but I can't see him not being a 1st rounder with his pro day.

25. Jax=Jaelan Phillips DE Miami, injury history is a huge red flag, but it might be the only one. I've found teams with multiple 1sts tend to take bigger risks after that 1st pick. Jags did it last year with Chaisson, and Phillips is a better prospect than he was. 

26. Cle=Zaven Collins DE Tulsa, this is a reach in my opinion, but somebody is likely to do it. That size is just amazing, and he seems to be a moldable ball of clay. His recent weight gain up to 270 tells me the NFL wants him at DE.

27. Bal=Samuel Cosmi T Texas, physical freak of nature. Could probably play TE at 300 pounds. I love this fit, and think he could be an upgrade from the overrated Orlando Brown before too long. Needs more consistency, and that probably pushes him this low, but the ceiling is the roof. Could be another Ryan Ramczyk.

28. NO=Rashod Bateman WR Minnesota, dominant tackle breaker who never gets jammed feels like a perfect fit for Payton's offense. Lots of targets available too with Sanders/Cook gone.

29. GB=Christian Barmore DT Alabama, great size/speed combo, was a little inconsistent, but also took over some games. 10 years ago I think he's going in the 5-10 range, but DT's(like RB's, but to a lesser extent) have seemingly lost their value. Barmore is a better prospect than Brown or Kinlaw were a year ago in my opinion. 

30. Buf=Azeez Ojulari DE Georgia, Bills could use a pass rusher so badly, this is a solid fit. I'd like to see Ojulari stand up better against the run, but he is a master of just circling OTs, great timing, and played well against top OTs.

31. Bal=Landon Dickerson C Alabama, probably a top-15 pick if he hadn't torn his ACL in the SEC title game. He's a people mover who fits the Ravens offense to a tee, and should give Lamar and co. even bigger holes in the running game.

32. TB=Kadarius Toney WR Florida, I'm not as high on him as I think the NFL is. I was disappointed by his pro day, and he seems like a gadget guy. That said, Tampa would be a great place to learn the nuances of the WR position and be worked in as a returner and maybe 30% snap guy to start. Tampa has no real holes, so I could see a pure upside shot, though I'd prefer either of the Moores at WR. 

33. Jax=Asante Samuel CB Florida St, seems like a similar prospect to his father. Unsurprisingly has great instincts, and should really should be a 1st round pick, that may fall due to size.

34. NYJ=Creed Humphrey G Oklahoma, better run blocker than pass blocker, Creed was a 3 year starter in one of the best OL schools in the nation. More a high floor pick than an elite upside pick, but the Jets can/will take whatever they can get.

35. Atl=Jayson Oweh DE Penn St, should be a 1st rounder in my opinion, but I think the whole zero sacks thing pushes him to round 2. He has elite quicks, but does get pushed around a bit. He's a bit of a project, but has pro bowl potential.

36. Mia=Travis Etienne RB Clemson, has Jamaal Charles level acceleration, but not as much long speed. He's a little boom/bust but likely profiles as a starter who maybe gets pulled in short yardage.

37. Phi=Joseph Ossai LB Texas, kind of a tweener DE/LB I think he'll be best further from the LOS. Eagles have need LB help for basically the entirety of Roseman's GM run. Probably a bit raw, and a guy I'd prefer a round later, but his size/speed combo is unlikely to make that happen.

38. Cin=Levi Onwuzurike DT Washington, a little overrated to me. Not sure he'll hold up at 290 pounds, as he doesn't have elite quickness to overcome it. This is probably a round higher than I'd go for him. Another guy who lacks consistency. 

39. Car=Eric Stokes CB Georgia, elite speed, but only middling quickness. Doesn't seem to have great ball skills either, just feels like a guy who is going to be drafted to highly. I think he's more a  round later than this at least.

40. Den=Wyatt Davis G Ohio St, the rare Guard who is a better pass blocker than run blocker, Davis could push Glasgow back to Center and get Cushenberry back onto the bench where he belonged. 

41. Det=Richie Grant S UCF, keep building that secondary. Grant is 23, which is pretty old, but he's very good in coverage and can play both deep and in the box.

42. NYG=Gregory Rousseau DE Miami, feels like a 3-4 to me, just not a freaky enough athlete, though he has ideal size. Probably should have stayed in school, as he needs a lot of work.

43. SF=Tyson Campbell CB Georgia, super raw, but ideal size/speed. Probably more of a day 3 caliber player to me, but seems like he'll go much higher.

44. Dal=Pat Freiermuth TE Penn St, great route runner and blocker is likely to give Jerry Jones some Jason Witten flashbacks. Would be a sizeable upgrade from Jarwin/Schultz.

45. Jax=Alex Leatherwood T Alabama, NFL ready with a high floor, he could push "Franchise Player" Cam Robinson day 1.

46. NE=Elijah Moore WR Mississippi, super underrated player, should be a top-20 pick in my opinion. I think his size and lack of outside WR experience push him down a round. That said, I don't think he's strictly a slot, and he arguably has the best hands in the draft. Could instantly be the #1 in NE.

47. LAC=Joe Tryon DE Washington, this feels way too high for me, but I've seen lots of reports talking about him in the late 1st so who knows. Needs a ton of work as a pass rusher, as he basically only bull rushes. Its a good bull rush, but he'll need more at the NFL level. Hell, he couild have used more at the college level.

48. LV=Terrace Marshall WR LSU, contested catch machine who has some RAC ability is a perfect compliment to Ruggs and Waller. Some would argue Bryan Edwards is already that guy, but I would disagree.

49. Ari=Rondale Moore WR Purdue, durability and size are his only issues. He plays bigger than his size, but that be why he's been injured. That said, a guy who runs a 4.2 can only fall so far, and he'd bring an element to the Cards offense they haven't had in some time.

50. Mia=Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater, I always take notice when a small school guy dominates the Senior Bowl. He excelled in both the run and pass game. Of course his level of competition makes his tape almost useless, beyond the Senior Bowl stuff, so he's a huge projection, but one a team with an excess of picks usually feels more comfortable making.

51. Was=Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse, very toolsy, and gives them an option to keep Fuller inside. Doesn't use his size to his advantage, but if starts to, he'll be worth this pick.

52. Chi=Jalen Mayfield T Michigan, toolsy prospect, who basically needs to learn the position. This is higher than I'd go, but these types usually are.

53. Ten=Nick Bolton LB Missouri, love Bolton's game, and think he has an argument in round 1, but he's constantly even lower than this in most mocks, so I put him here. The Titans could use a defender who consistently makes plays better athletes don't. Whether in coverage or against the run, Bolton seems to always be right where he should be.

54. Ind=Carlos Basham DE Wake Forest, probably should go higher than this. Very athletic for a 275 pounder. I almost wonder if he'd be better inside like as a 3-4 end, he relies a bit much on size/speed and not really on technique.

55. Pit=Liam Eichenberg T Notre Dame, a little undersized and likely a better finesse blocker than power blocker. Did play almost an entire game last year with an eye that was swollen shut, which feels like a Steeler thing to do. Ultimately the once great Steelers line needs multiple guys in this draft, and a high floor guy isn't a bad spot to start.

56. Sea=Elijah Molden CB Washington, super instinctive, but poor measurables. Plays above his head a lot, and seems like a solid slot CB, which Seattle needs.

57. LAR=Jabril Cox LB LSU, the way the NFL is trending at LB. Cox would have been a Safety 10 years ago.

58. KC=Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma St, another guy I think I'm lower on than this pick would suggest. I have questions about Wallace's route running, and his deep speed. Feels like another James Washington to me. That said, that would still be a pretty big weapon for KC.

59. Cle=Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa, extremely inconsistent, would straight up disappear at times. He's not a guy I like this high, but if you can get his high end all the time, this is where he should go.

60. NO=Kelvin Joseph CB Kentucky, a bit raw, but that 4.2 speed will play. Sat out 2019 for reasons I can't seem to find, but could be interesting in that quality Saints secondary.

61. Buf=Aaron Robinson CB UCF, solid slot CB with some upside. Bills have needed more at CB than White.  

62. GB=Trey Smith G Tennessee, high-end traits, and was once considered a 1st round prospect. He has had some major health issues regarding his lungs and blood clots, though that seems to be behind him. That said, he buries people in the run game, and has T/G versatility. With Jenkins possibly moving to Center, another interior OL is needed. 

63. KC=Baron Browning LB Ohio St, freak athlete who needs seasoning, kinda like Willie Gay a year ago. Seems more comfortable in coverage than anything else. Would be great in a Tampa 2, but so few teams play that anymore. A defense like the Chiefs that plays teams frequently in catchup mode is the next best thing.

64. TB=Dillon Radunz T ND State, perfect fit here as a long term replacement for Donovan Smith. Radunz likely needs a year of seasoning coming from ND State. But he has franchise tackle upside. Tough to pick where he goes, could see him as a mid 3rd, could see him as Tampa's 1st rounder.

65. Jax=Jackson Carman T Clemson, high ceiling/low floor type, plus he already has experience blocking for Lawrence. Teams with an excess of picks should take chances on these types of players. Has high-end play in the run and pass game, just hasn't shown any consistency. Still, probably better than any Tackle the Jags currently have on the roster. A steal in round 3.

66. NYJ=Brevin Jordan TE Miami, I'm not a big fan of his, but he's constantly mocked near the top of round 3. Like I've said, I think the Jets are very committed to improving their offense. Jordan feels like a Trey Burton type to me. Not sure he's better than Herndon.

67. Hou=Jevon Holland S Oregon, with only 1 pick in the 1st 2 days, Houston needs to get a starter with this pick. I won't speak on Watson's status, because who knows but, I think they've done enough signing Tyrod for a year. Holland is a playmaker with slightly above average measurables. Pairing him with Reid could at least give the Texans a quality back-end.

68. Atl=Javonte Williams RB UNC, the best RB in the draft in my opinion. I think lack of receiving skills pushes him down draft boards, though he may be ok at it, and just took a backseat to Carter. Pinball type RB, who usually requires multiple tacklers. 

69. Cin=Josh Myers G Ohio St, not sure he's ever going to be much of a pass blocker, and probably should be a day 3 pick. That said, I think his ability to get upfield in the run game, and his athleticism will push him to around the 2-3 turn. I'm projecting a move to Guard, as I kind like Hopkins at Center for Cinci.

70. Phi=Kyle Trask QB Florida, downfield accuracy is elite, and he's fearless in the pocket. Only knocks are lack of mobility and 1 year wonder status. A better prospect than Hurts in my opinion.

71. Den=Alim McNeill DT NC State, another floor over ceiling guy. McNeill projects as a solid starter, butdoesn't have the pass rushing ability to be a true difference maker. Still that is more than worth a pick at 71.

72. Det=Andre Cisco S Syracuse, another piece to add to the Lions revamped secondary. Cisco has big time speed(assuming his ACL recovery is going well) probably would be a 1st rounder without the injury.Has had tackling issues. Lions are a team that can afford to take chances on guys who aren't necessarily ready to start week 1.

73. Car=Walker Little T Stanford, maybe the most underrated prospect in the draft to me. He could be every bit as good as Slater or Darrisaw. He was a top-5 overall candidate a couple years ago, alas he has played 1 game since 2018 due to a torn ACL, and an opt out. I do think he's being punished more than anyone else for the opt out. Its like people are acting like he missed 2 years with the knee injury. No reason to assume his an injury risk, and his ceiling is top notch. I'd argue he should be a 1st rounder. 

74. Was=Chazz Surratt LB UNC, interesting prospect as a converted QB, with good speed for LB, but size could be an issue. 

75. Dal=Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt, any Aaron Donald comps should have ended at the school and thats it. Excellent technique, but a terrible athlete. An 8 second 3 cone and a 5.5 40 for an undersized DT is crazy. He should have fired his agent on the spot for letting him participate. That said, the NFL seems to like him, so I'll include him, but I think he's unlikely to make it to the end of his rookie deal.

76. NYG=Ben Cleveland G Georgia, probably the most athletic 350+ pounder I've seen. Runs a 4.8 40. Looks like a bodybuilder. His biggest issue pushing him to round 3, is his tendency to go for highlight pancakes and whiff completely. I'm sure Barkley would love him.

77. LAC=Hamsah Nasirildeen S Florida St, incredible size, with role questions. I think Staley could find a spot for him.

78. Min=Rashad Weaver DE Pitt, top notch run defender who is already 23, feels like the type of rotational player that Zimmer loves though.

79. LV=James Hudson T Cincinnati, huge project who was a DT until 2 years ago. Great tools, but needs seasoning, Ojulari destroyed him in the Bowl game.

80. LV=Marvin Wilson DT Florida St, a better version of Twyman. Really should have come out a year ago, as he was projected to be a borderline 1st rounder. He came back, and stunk, then had a poor pro day. That player who looked great in 2018-2019 may still be there, but boy he couldn't have had a much worse Senior season.

81. Mia=Deonte Brown G Alabama, somewhat similar to Kindley last year, a big time run blocker with some pass pro issues. Dolphins keep building that OL.

82. Was=Dyami Brown WR UNC, was shocked he was only 189 pounds. He's physical before and after the catch. His game meshes well with McLaurin/Samuel. Probably should go a round higher, but I think WR's get pushed down a bit due to depth.

83. Chi=Pete Werner LB Ohio St, good size/speed but seems to lack instincts. Probably better in coverage than against the run, despite size.

84. Phi=Paulson Adebo CB Stanford, would be a nice addition to the Eagles secondary. High floor low ceiling type. Notably has 10 inch hands, which is the highest I can recall any CB having.

85. Ten=Amon-Ra St.Brown WR USC, profiles as a slot WR to me, even though he played inside and out at USC. NFL probably likes him more than I do. He's a day 3 guy to me.

86. NYJ=Brady Christiensen T BYU, was blown away by his pro day, as he looked like more of a finesse player on tape. I like the idea of keeping him with Wilson, as their is already built in trust. People talk about that with receivers and QBs, but I think it exists with OL as well. Much better pass blocker than run blocker, but could be a solid bookend to Becton. Likely falls this far due to his advanced age.

87. Pit=Tay Gowen CB UCF, he's off a lot of radars, but I think he's gonna be drafted on day 2, and rightfully so. Great athlete, but only played 1 year. Better in zone than man, but closes ground quick.

88. LAR=Dylan Moses LB Alabama, was a highly touted prospect, who has never lived up to expectations. Looks fast on tape, but didn't participate in a pro day. Probably not a guy I'd take until day 3, maybe another Mack Wilson.

89. Cle=Hunter Long TE Boston College, extremely consistent and solid at the catch point. Long is a guy I could see as a futures pick for the Browns as Njoku is likely after the year(or maybe the draft) and Hooper is a potential cap casualty if his play doesn't pick up. With how often the Browns use 2-TE sets, it helps to be 3-4 deep.

90. Min=Kendrick Green G Illinois, ideal fit for the Kubiak scheme. He's undersized, but flies out of his stance, and constantly beats defenders to the point of attack. 

91. Cle=Tommy Togiai DT Ohio State, pretty much a 1 dimensional pass rusher on the interior, he's undersized, and was even a rotational player in college, that said, he's extremely strong(40 bench reps) and may just be scratching the surface of his upside.

92. GB=Cameron McGrone LB Michigan, very good run defender, and a liability in coverage. Still better than what the Packers trotted out at LB last year.

93. Buf=Jay Tufele DT USC, feels like a decent rotational lineman, with a lean toward passing situations. 

94. Bal=Monty Rice LB Georgia, needs to learn to read what offenses are doing, but has some solid tools. Ravens have a history of getting a lot out of these types.

95. TB=Tyler Shelvin DT LSU, the opposite of Togiai, Shelvin fits a team like Tampa better than most, because they don't need a well rounded guy. Shelvin is as 1 dimensional as it gets, but he doesn't get moved off his spot. That said, he might hit 400 pounds every offseason. 

96. NE=Michael Carter RB UNC, no RB has really stepped up for NE, Michel has arguably been the best, but he's fragile and in a  contract year. Carter is an excellent receiver and has elite quicks. His size likely makes him a committee RB, but that's not something NE has ever minded. 

97. LAC=Thomas Graham CB Oregon, average size/speed, but great instincts and tackling. Also can do play inside or outside. Chargers need to replace Hayward, and who knows how much Harris has left.

98. NO=Davis Mills QB Stanford, great accuracy but tended to be a little panicky at times. Good developmental prospect.

99. Dal=Benjamin St.Juste CB Minnesota, another perfect fit for Quinn's defense.  Elite size and quickness, but does lack top-end speed. Likely hasn't played his best ball yet.

100. Ten=Tre Brown CB Oklahoma, Titans need a slot CB, and Brown is a solid prospect there. Size and tendency to get penalized are the only things allowing him to fall this far.

101. Det=Justin Hilliard LB Ohio St, very good tackler, but very below average athlete. 

102. SF=Ar'Darius Washington S TCU, so small, 5-8 178, and not super fast either. Has good instincts and versatility.

103. LAR=Marlon Tuipulotu DT USC, a great situation to land in as he's a very average prospect, but those guys tend to look good next to Donald. Despite being average sized, is far better against the run than the pass.

104. Bal=Aaron Banks G Notre Dame, boring pick to continue filling out the OL. Banks projects as an average starter who won't screw up, but not a lot of upside. 

105. NO=Tommy Tremble TE Notre Dame, H-back type who ideally is a FB, but probably also a solid TE prospect. Might have some Juszczyk to his game. I could see Payton having a lot of ideas for a player like this.

Giants don't let DeVonta Smith get past them at #11,because Smith won't be there at 11, he'll be long gone by then. someone's going to trade up to snag him probably 1-2 spots ahead of the G-men.rumors abound that Gettleman has a man-crush on Smith, and many GMs and insiders think the Giants will take him if he's there at 11. thats why I think a trade is probable. possibly NE , who badly need WRs more than any other position.

Sewell doesn't make it past Cincy at #5.

Thanks for the mock, looks like you spent a lot of time and effort with your write ups. That said, if the lions take back to back safeties I’ll root for the Vikings. I think they move back, or take Sewell or slater. I wouldn’t hate the surtain pick. Thanks again for the effort. 

Miami will not take 3 OL in the first 3 rounds after taking 3 last year. They also have holes on defense. The first 3 picks, Sewell, Parsons and Etienne are decent possibilities. 

Big time effort. One homer quibble: The Jets are not likely to take Harris. We're (I am) beating it to death in the Jets thread, but he kind of lacks the speed to play in the wide zone blocking system that the coaches are likely bringing with them from San Francisco. If they're drafting anybody in the first round, it's Etienne, in my opinion. It's a one-cut and go system that requires RBs to get to the edge and turn it upfield quickly. San Francisco and Joe Douglas both are also unlikely to use that much draft capital in a back, so that's something to consider, but with La'Mical Perine as their starter, they're a bit bound to do something at least at some point.

But thanks for doing this.

read all 3 of CLE's picks and you basically doo-doo'd on all 3 of them :lol:

but good effort i find myself stuck after the 1st round for the first time in a LONG time.

Giants don't let DeVonta Smith get past them at #11,because Smith won't be there at 11, he'll be long gone by then. someone's going to trade up to snag him probably 1-2 spots ahead of the G-men.rumors abound that Gettleman has a man-crush on Smith, and many GMs and insiders think the Giants will take him if he's there at 11. thats why I think a trade is probable. possibly NE , who badly need WRs more than any other position.

People always over-rate the values of WR. It wouldn't shock me one bit if both Waddle and Smith drop to Philly's pick.

Also, the NYG would be idiots to put more $$$ in the WR position and pass up a player like Slater.

Big time effort. One homer quibble: The Jets are not likely to take Harris. We're (I am) beating it to death in the Jets thread, but he kind of lacks the speed to play in the wide zone blocking system that the coaches are likely bringing with them from San Francisco. If they're drafting anybody in the first round, it's Etienne, in my opinion. It's a one-cut and go system that requires RBs to get to the edge and turn it upfield quickly. San Francisco and Joe Douglas both are also unlikely to use that much draft capital in a back, so that's something to consider, but with La'Mical Perine as their starter, they're a bit bound to do something at least at some point.

It would be a surprise if both the Jets and the Dolphins don't come away with a new feature back, although I think Gaskins is a serviceable full-time back and above average in the passing game. Both teams have extra draft picks which give them some luxury in going RB early. But they also have many other needs.

I could see Etienne early to either team, maybe the Jets at 2.02, or Dolphins at 2.05. Atlanta at 2.03 is also possible. I don't like Harris for Miami, would rather reach for Etienne or hope for Williams with their 2.18 selection. The Jets have two 3rd round picks, what about Michael Carter at 3.02? 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be a surprise if both the Jets and the Dolphins don't come away with a new feature back, although I think Gaskins is a serviceable full-time back and above average in the passing game. Both teams have extra draft picks which give them some luxury in going RB early. But they also have many other needs.

I could see Etienne early to either team, maybe the Jets at 2.02, or Dolphins at 2.05. Atlanta at 2.03 is also possible. I don't like Harris for Miami, would rather reach for Etienne or hope for Williams with their 2.18 selection. The Jets have two 3rd round picks, what about Michael Carter at 3.02? 
Yeah, your assessment sounds right. That's what those of us in the Jets thread are thinking. We've talked about their fits over there. I think Carter and Gainwell were brought up. I personally thought Elijah Mitchell tested so well that he appears to have the speed that the zone blocking scheme demands. Khalil Herbert seems to have a one-cut and go mentality, or at least PFF thought he'd be good in the San Fran scheme that LaFleur is supposedly bringing to the Jets.

We'll see. What, four days away from the draft? Ought to learn a lot on Thursday, more on Day Two, probably.

Nothing really to add here - I applaud the time and effort used to put it together. 
Yeah, no strong convictions at all with this draft and I bumped a previous mock because typically at this time of the year the pool is crawling with mocks so I was glad to see someone step up.

You actually have my top choices for the Bills in round 1 and 2. I'm hoping they manage to grab Brevin Jordan in the third.

That said, is it just me or is this year's draft odd in that it seems to me there are WAY WAY WAY more players than usual being mocked as high as mid 1st and as low as late 2nd?

Nice work, thanks...if Mac Jones is on the board and the Pats pass on him it will be a decision that will haunt the Pats for years...he is a perfect fit for BB...also, I see it the other way...I think teams may like him better than the media.

You actually have my top choices for the Bills in round 1 and 2. I'm hoping they manage to grab Brevin Jordan in the third.

That said, is it just me or is this year's draft odd in that it seems to me there are WAY WAY WAY more players than usual being mocked as high as mid 1st and as low as late 2nd?
Agree...something I am seeing (at least I think I am) is it seems some guys doing this have position biases (both pro and anti) and you can see what they are in their mocks.

Talent wise, I'd agree, Smith shouldn't be available, but I'd argue that was also the case worth Jeudy and Lamb a year ago. WR's, perhaps due to the fact that we've seen pretty great classes each of the last 3 years, have been falling further than they should. 

Sewell should be the #4 pick in my opinion, but that doesn't sound like where the wind is blowing.

Thanks for the mock, looks like you spent a lot of time and effort with your write ups. That said, if the lions take back to back safeties I’ll root for the Vikings. I think they move back, or take Sewell or slater. I wouldn’t hate the surtain pick. Thanks again for the effort. 
Thanks for reading it, this is probably the most prep I've done on a draft class. 

I agree the Lions would be a good candidate to trade down, especially if someone is moving up for Lance and wants to get ahead of Carolina and Denver. The idea behind al the DB picks, is that they arguably have the worst secondary in the NFL, and hired Aaron Glenn as the new DC, and Campbell is coming from NO, where DB's are always a huge priority. Beyond Okudah and Oruwariye, is there anyone who you feel good about in that secondary? Even those guys, its more hoping that a DC switch unlocks their potential than anything. I thiunk the Lions have a sneaky great front 6, and underrated skill position talent, so for me its coverage and OL that are the biggest needs. If they do trade down, a guy like Slater or Vera-Tucker would be an option.

I will say I loved the Goff/Stafford swap. I feel like the Lions got 2 1sts for a small downgrade at QB. Like a B- to a C+, and loved the fliers on Perriman and Williams who are both starting caliber WR's when healthy in my opinion. 

Miami will not take 3 OL in the first 3 rounds after taking 3 last year. They also have holes on defense. The first 3 picks, Sewell, Parsons and Etienne are decent possibilities. 
 Maybe I have a really high opinion of Miami's defense, but I think LB and S are their only defensive needs. They were the #6 defense in the NFL last year, with a mostly young group. 

Jackson and Hunt are probably locked into starting jobs on the OL, but Kindley is iffy. Hunt also can play T or G. My thinking is that it would be Sewell at LT, Flowers at LG, Meinerz at C, Hunt at RG, and Jackson at RT, with Brown and Kindley fighting it out to eventually replace Flowers, and being depth at G due to injury, and Hunt possibly going back to T if the injury is at T. Its possible I'm projecting a little too much of the NE blueprint in building up the OL, 

Thanks!

I wouldn't be a fan of the Harris pick either, but I think he's likely going in round 1. I do however think he'd be a fit for the Jets. In many ways he has some similarities to Arian Foster, both his patience, and his receiving ability. Foster was probably the best RB in this scheme over the last 15 years or so. 

While the 49ers didn't use a lot of draft capital at RB, they certainly invested heavily in the position. McKinnon signed a huge FA deal, and when he got hurt, Coleman(who I would think is ahead of Perine on NY right now) got a sizeable deal as well.

read all 3 of CLE's picks and you basically doo-doo'd on all 3 of them :lol:

but good effort i find myself stuck after the 1st round for the first time in a LONG time.
Feels weird to say, but the Browns basically have almost zero holes. I mostly went for scheme fits for them. Zaven Collins just feels like a guy Joe Woods would be super interested in, especially his versatility, and lack of need to start instantly. Did you like the Togiai pick at least?

Eagles never draft linebackers early
I agree, but one would hope they've learned from that mistake. Ossai isn't a true LB anyway, he's more of a tweener. What do you think about the rest of their picks? 

Nice. What do like about Jordan? I feel like he'd have a really tough time beating out Knox. 

I agree that there is a large variety of guys being mocked in the 1st. This is a very deep draft, that also seems to fall off after the top-20 or so. I think some of that is due to the optouts, and the lack of a full college season for several teams last year. 

Nice work, thanks...if Mac Jones is on the board and the Pats pass on him it will be a decision that will haunt the Pats for years...he is a perfect fit for BB...also, I see it the other way...I think teams may like him better than the media.
Thanks.

I think NE would be a player to trade up for Fields if he doesn't go #3, or Lance. I think they'd prefer a mobile QB, as both Belichick and McDaniels have both spoken about the advantages that brings in stressing out a defense. 

I'll be thrilled if the Bears get Mac Jones at 20. I think he probably won't fall that far, but who knows. Mayfield is a bit of a reach relative to what he's shown so far (as you say), but could easily happen (many mocks have him going even earlier). The Werner pick makes a lot of sense, as Trevathan isn't the player that he used to be and the team has very little behind him & Smith at LB.

As much as the Lions could use 4 new guys on defense I think an OL and a WR sneak in there, along with a couple guys on D.

I'll be thrilled if the Bears get Mac Jones at 20. I think he probably won't fall that far, but who knows. Mayfield is a bit of a reach relative to what he's shown so far (as you say), but could easily happen (many mocks have him going even earlier). The Werner pick makes a lot of sense, as Trevathan isn't the player that he used to be and the team has very little behind him & Smith at LB.
More than likely Jones won't fall to 20, but I didn't want to predict trades in a 3 round mock. I do think the Bears are the most likely team to move up for Jones, as they are the most desperate team for a QB in my opinion. Not that Dalton is the worst starter in the league, he just has zero upside.

I've seen Mayfield in late in round 1 in some mocks, though that was mostly earlier in the process. 

13. LAC=Christian Darrisaw T Virginia Tech, Chargers have been looking for OL help for seemingly 10 years. This is a perfect match of talent and need. Only knock is that he was on such a run heavy team, he didn't see many complex blitz packages. He may also be a better run blocker than pass blocker. 
WENT 23!

15. NE= Trevon Moehrig S TCU, I don't seriously see Mac Jones as a QB for the Pats. Moehrig is the ideal safety prospect for NE. He's great in man coverage, great tackler, great blitzer. Could honestly play CB or LB, which screams Belichick. Crazy strength for a Safety too, with 33 bench reps. 
WENT 43!

17. LV=Greg Newsome CB Northwestern, elite zone corner fits great in the new defense. Simply does not get beat deep.
WENT 26!

19. Was=Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LB Notre Dame, amazing in coverage, but has some issues against the run. Covering the middle of the field could make that defense scary good going forward.
WENT 52!

21. Ind=Kwity Paye DE Michigan, Colts type prospect all the way. Somewhat raw, freakish athlete. 4.5 40 with 36 bench reps is a crazy combo especially for a 260 pounder. That said, he could use some refinement, and that is what keeps him from the top-15 to me.
NICE CALL HERE

22. Ten=Teven Jenkins T Oklahoma St, another guy I think the NFL likes more than I do. I think he's more in the 30's for me. Just feels risky like all Oklahoma State guys do, because of how weird their offense is. That said his dominant run blocking ability would certainly appeal to the Titans who took a T last year in the 1st round who didn't have even 40% Jenkins ability.
WENT 39!

27. Bal=Samuel Cosmi T Texas, physical freak of nature. Could probably play TE at 300 pounds. I love this fit, and think he could be an upgrade from the overrated Orlando Brown before too long. Needs more consistency, and that probably pushes him this low, but the ceiling is the roof. Could be another Ryan Ramczyk.
WENT 51!

30. Buf=Azeez Ojulari DE Georgia, Bills could use a pass rusher so badly, this is a solid fit. I'd like to see Ojulari stand up better against the run, but he is a master of just circling OTs, great timing, and played well against top OTs.
WENT 50!

34. NYJ=Creed Humphrey G Oklahoma, better run blocker than pass blocker, Creed was a 3 year starter in one of the best OL schools in the nation. More a high floor pick than an elite upside pick, but the Jets can/will take whatever they can get.
WENT 63!

37. Phi=Joseph Ossai LB Texas
, kind of a tweener DE/LB I think he'll be best further from the LOS. Eagles have need LB help for basically the entirety of Roseman's GM run. Probably a bit raw, and a guy I'd prefer a round later, but his size/speed combo is unlikely to make that happen.
WENT 69!

40. Den=Wyatt Davis G Ohio St,
the rare Guard who is a better pass blocker than run blocker, Davis could push Glasgow back to Center and get Cushenberry back onto the bench where he belonged. 
WENT 86!

45. Jax=Alex Leatherwood T Alabama, NFL ready with a high floor, he could push "Franchise Player" Cam Robinson day 1.
WENT 17!

50. Mia=Quinn Meinerz C Wisconsin-Whitewater,
I always take notice when a small school guy dominates the Senior Bowl. He excelled in both the run and pass game. Of course his level of competition makes his tape almost useless, beyond the Senior Bowl stuff, so he's a huge projection, but one a team with an excess of picks usually feels more comfortable making.
WENT 98!

56. Sea=Elijah Molden CB Washington,
super instinctive, but poor measurables. Plays above his head a lot, and seems like a solid slot CB, which Seattle needs.
WENT 100!

51. Was=Ifeatu Melifonwu CB Syracuse,
very toolsy, and gives them an option to keep Fuller inside. Doesn't use his size to his advantage, but if starts to, he'll be worth this pick.
WENT 101!

67. Hou=Jevon Holland S Oregon
, with only 1 pick in the 1st 2 days, Houston needs to get a starter with this pick. I won't speak on Watson's status, because who knows but, I think they've done enough signing Tyrod for a year. Holland is a playmaker with slightly above average measurables. Pairing him with Reid could at least give the Texans a quality back-end.
WENT 36!

82. Was=Dyami Brown WR UNC
, was shocked he was only 189 pounds. He's physical before and after the catch. His game meshes well with McLaurin/Samuel. Probably should go a round higher, but I think WR's get pushed down a bit due to depth.
NAILED THIS ONE EXACT!

104. Bal=Aaron Banks G Notre Dame, boring pick to continue filling out the OL. Banks projects as an average starter who won't screw up, but not a lot of upside.
WENT 48!

Payton Turner- Went Round 1 and not on your list.
Cool to look back on this now. 

Not at all dissing you, you did an incredible job and way better than any of us could do.... just interesting to see how many teams reached and how many players dropped from the "norm" of what people thought.  Here's some of note:

Users who are viewing this thread