What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRAVIS HENRY.........SOON A CARDINAL? (1 Viewer)

There's no way that Arizona relies on Shipp. Plus, they're still looking to trade LJ Shelton. I think that we need to wait and see what happens with Shelton, but I would be shocked if Arizona didn't bring somebody in via trade or FA to compete with Shipp.
I thought the reason Arizona backed out of the trade for Travis Henry was because they wanted to select a RB in the draft :unsure:
They wanted Henry to keep his current contract and he refused.

There's no way that Arizona relies on Shipp. Plus, they're still looking to trade LJ Shelton. I think that we need to wait and see what happens with Shelton, but I would be shocked if Arizona didn't bring somebody in via trade or FA to compete with Shipp.
I thought the reason Arizona backed out of the trade for Travis Henry was because they wanted to select a RB in the draft :unsure:
I don't really get that though. What leverage does he really have since he's UNDER contract?I guess he could threaten to hold out, but it seems weird to me that he was somehow able to block a trade. I guess the Cards just didn't want to acquire him and then either get stuck with an unhappy Henry for 1 year or perhaps cave and wind up overpaying him for the long haul.

I don't really get that though. What leverage does he really have since he's UNDER contract?I guess he could threaten to hold out, but it seems weird to me that he was somehow able to block a trade. I guess the Cards just didn't want to acquire him and then either get stuck with an unhappy Henry for 1 year or perhaps cave and wind up overpaying him for the long haul.
So his choice is to remain a backup with the Bills rather than start for the Cards? It's odd because he will be a FA next year and starting for someone would be the best way for him to improve his value.

Henry is in a tough situation. One can argue that by agreeing to start for Arizona for a year at his present salary and become a FA next year he could boost his value. However, there is a greater concern of injury for him by being a starter and this could hurt his FA value next year. But by staying in Buffalo he will be paid the same and be a backup and allow himself a better chance to stay healthy( although there is no gaurentee to staying healthy) and his value as a FA wouldn't dramatically decline and hopefully, for his sake, the market is a little better for running back FA the following year.

Henry is in a tough situation. One can argue that by agreeing to start for Arizona for a year at his present salary and become a FA next year he could boost his value. However, there is a greater concern of injury for him by being a starter and this could hurt his FA value next year. But by staying in Buffalo he will be paid the same and be a backup and allow himself a better chance to stay healthy( although there is no gaurentee to staying healthy) and his value as a FA wouldn't dramatically decline and hopefully, for his sake, the market is a little better for running back FA the following year.
And this leads me to question Henry's advisors (I don't question his heart because he's proved that he's willing to do what's necessary to be on the field). If we can take all that we've heard at face value, he had the opportunity to be the starting RB on a young, talented offense. If he's worried about injury, he could have taken out an insurance policy. There was no reason to block this trade if the offer was actually made.

Buffalobills.com03/14/2005 5:30 PM Paolo (Toronto): What's the latest update on Travis Henry? Are the Cardinals still interested or have any other teams shown interest? He is a good RB with a lot of heart. Tom Donahoe: At the end of this past season, Travis' agent called to seek permission to attempt to trade Travis Henry. We gave the agent permission to find out what was out there. Approximately four to five teams have expressed some degree of interest in Travis. Our desire would be to have Travis back if we cannot work out a trade. We were very up front with the agent telling him from the start that a trade had to be of fair value. We see Travis as a starter and a very productive back and someone who has been to a Pro Bowl. At the present time there is not enough interest to make a trade and if things continue in that vein we would expect to have Travis back again next year for the final year of his contract. Just Great! :wall:

With Edge and SA being shopped for less than a #1 and the top 3 rb's in the draft I think that Henry will be carrying MGahee's jock strap again this year.

And this leads me to question Henry's advisors (I don't question his heart because he's proved that he's willing to do what's necessary to be on the field). If we can take all that we've heard at face value, he had the opportunity to be the starting RB on a young, talented offense. If he's worried about injury, he could have taken out an insurance policy. There was no reason to block this trade if the offer was actually made.
Beg Much Christo :lol:

Do you REALLY think a player can IMPROVE his trade value playing for Arizona? If I had a choice between backing someone up then becoming a free agent, or playing in Arizona then becoming a free agent, I'd take the former.

And this leads me to question Henry's advisors (I don't question his heart because he's proved that he's willing to do what's necessary to be on the field).  If we can take all that we've heard at face value, he had the opportunity to be the starting RB on a young, talented offense.  If he's worried about injury, he could have taken out an insurance policy.  There was no reason to block this trade if the offer was actually made.
Do you REALLY think a player can IMPROVE his trade value playing for Arizona? If I had a choice between backing someone up then becoming a free agent, or playing in Arizona then becoming a free agent, I'd take the former.
Arizona has a decent O-Line and Travis would be the starter with no one pushing him for time. I don't see how being a back-up could be better for him.

And this leads me to question Henry's advisors (I don't question his heart because he's proved that he's willing to do what's necessary to be on the field).  If we can take all that we've heard at face value, he had the opportunity to be the starting RB on a young, talented offense.  If he's worried about injury, he could have taken out an insurance policy.  There was no reason to block this trade if the offer was actually made.
Are you serious???? He has a way better opportunity to imporve his trade value by playing as a starting RB as opposed to missing over half a year due to injury and then playing back up all season to an emerging star RB. Arizona is going to be a good team this year. They have a good O-line that even an aging E. Smith could put up descent numbers with on different occasions. Henry would or would have done fine in Arizona.

I think every NFL player wants to play and prove they can be a starter in the league. Yes, I know money is important but there EGO's far outweigh their money concerns. Henry wants to be a starter, period!

I think every NFL player wants to play and prove they can be a starter in the league. Yes, I know money is important but there EGO's far outweigh their money concerns. Henry wants to be a starter, period!
No he doesn't, he coulda been a starter but he wouldn't play under his current contract with Zona.He lacks heart and confidence. And please no one bring up how he's such a warrior and played with a broken leg. He was cleared by doctors and was in no danger of reaggrivating that injury, every RB in the league would of done the same as he did. He sat out with so many minor injuries this past year I don't get how anyone can think he's some kind of warrior. He's soft.

Gee, I just feel so bad for Travis. :cry:

Get over it, get motivated in camp, and beat out Mcgahee! (well, try to enjoy your paycheck and hope for an injury)

Only way Henry sees the playing field this year is when McGahee goes down. Not if, but when...
Since you can predict injuries can you let me in on any other injuries that are going to occur next year.Footballguys should hire you as their injury predictor guy.

Only way Henry sees the playing field this year is when McGahee goes down. Not if, but when...
Since you can predict injuries can you let me in on any other injuries that are going to occur next year.Footballguys should hire you as their injury predictor guy.
Lee Suggs Week 6Chris Brown Week 3

Michael Bennett pre season

Donte Stallworth June 6th while sitting on the couch watching a rerun of Blind Date he will pull his hammy.

Donte Stallworth June 6th while sitting on the couch watching a rerun of Blind Date he will pull his hammy.
:thumbup: Looks like i'll be dropping Brown after week #2. This is the kind of info that can really pay off.

You forgot DFoster :rolleyes:

You should have seen the tears when they announced the AZ thing was dead. :cry:

Yes, I do.With that O-line and those receivers, I see no reason for him not to have put up another 1300+ yard season.

Why do you think he'd gain anything by sitting on his ###?

You should have seen the tears when they announced the AZ thing was dead. :cry:
I immediately went to all my leagues and looked at who had Travis Henry and gave a little snicker. Sorry, but I snickered at your misfortune. :excited:

Good, this is what I needed from him to get himself traded. Right now I have him in a dynasty league and he holds abousolutely no value right now, sitting behind Willis. I would love to trade him to someone hurting for a RB to upgrade my team in other positions. Come Buffalo trade him already!

From that article:
Henry said the Arizona Cardinals have offered to trade starting left tackle L.J. Shelton in a player-for-player deal.

Henry doesn't understand why the Bills -- in need of offensive line help -- haven't accepted the offer. Henry added he's willing to play for Arizona, a team in need of a starting running back since Emmitt Smith's retirement last month.
I thought it was the Cards tha backed out.Good info here. :thumbup: Or maybe it should be , Good Soap Opera here. :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Memo to Travis Henry:SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP. How much do you expect to make in 06 if you sit out 05?Edge and Alexander can be had for a 2nd, you are nowhere near the RB they are, and yet teams haven't bit yet. Anthony Thomas is still a FA, while you may have performed better, you aren't that much better to warrant a team trading for you.Buffalo will only accept a deal that helps them, most likely time for you to be traded will be on Draft day when the Bills need to move up to grab their player. Be careful what you wish for though, you might end up in San Fran.

Oh my, Henry complaining and whinning again.  I'm shocked.

What a loser.
That's a bit harsh IMO.Henry is most assuredly not handling his situation well in the least bit, but one at least has to look at it from his perspective. Here's a two-time 1300 yard rusher who has the misfortune to have McGahee drafted by the team because he was a bargain pick, and now an injury later, he's out of a job.

Just to assure that there is no bias, I'm not a Henry owner. But IMHO he's not unlike any other proven veteran player demanding a trade.

From that article:
Henry said the Arizona Cardinals have offered to trade starting left tackle L.J. Shelton in a player-for-player deal.

Henry doesn't understand why the Bills -- in need of offensive line help -- haven't accepted the offer. Henry added he's willing to play for Arizona, a team in need of a starting running back since Emmitt Smith's retirement last month.
I thought it was the Cards tha backed out.Good info here. :thumbup: Or maybe it should be , Good Soap Opera here. :popcorn:
IIRC-the Cards were prepared to make the trade but they wanted Henry to honor his remaining contract and he refused. He wanted a new deal. That's why the trade didn't go through.

From that article:

IIRC-the Cards were prepared to make the trade but they wanted Henry to honor his remaining contract and he refused. He wanted a new deal. That's why the trade didn't go through.
That's what I remembered too, but now seeing Henry say this makes it seem that he had nothing to do with the trade not going through.

From that article:

That's what I remembered too, but now seeing Henry say this makes it seem that he had nothing to do with the trade not going through.
While neither side has come right out and declared what was offered, it is thought to be Arizona that backed out of the deal. Shelton is very much in demand, because he's a decent left tackle that will come for a small salary. Many teams have been rumored to have offered a 2nd round pick for Shelton and high picks at that. Because of that, its thought that for Henry, the Cardinals were asking for Henry and a pick for Shelton. When Buffalo wouldn't give in, the Cards ended the talks.

Shelton will still get dealt and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he still gets dealt to the Bills for Henry. But nothing is likely to happen at this point until very near the draft.

From that article:

While neither side has come right out and declared what was offered, it is thought to be Arizona that backed out of the deal. Shelton is very much in demand, because he's a decent left tackle that will come for a small salary. Many teams have been rumored to have offered a 2nd round pick for Shelton and high picks at that. Because of that, its thought that for Henry, the Cardinals were asking for Henry and a pick for Shelton. When Buffalo wouldn't give in, the Cards ended the talks.

Shelton will still get dealt and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he still gets dealt to the Bills for Henry. But nothing is likely to happen at this point until very near the draft.
See this is my point, people are assuming Henry did not want to go to Arizona and abide his existing contract when we clearly don't know if this is the case or this is what happened. Henry is taking far to much criticism for wanting to be a starter. I would be worried if he is happy to sit on the bench as a back up. The guy had two good seasons and proved he could be a starting RB in this league. I know it may seem like he is whining but the guy wants to be a starter. Is that a bad thing????

From that article:

See this is my point, people are assuming Henry did not want to go to Arizona and abide his existing contract when we clearly don't know if this is the case or this is what happened. Henry is taking far to much criticism for wanting to be a starter. I would be worried if he is happy to sit on the bench as a back up. The guy had two good seasons and proved he could be a starting RB in this league. I know it may seem like he is whining but the guy wants to be a starter. Is that a bad thing????
I have never in my life understood why people get on a player for being super competitve and wanting to make plays.

From that article:

Henry did not want to restructure his contract and that is why the Arizona deal fell through. That doesn't seem like a guy that just wants to be a starter. He wanted the money to go along with it. Beggars can't be choosers.

From that article:

Henry did not want to restructure his contract and that is why the Arizona deal fell through. That doesn't seem like a guy that just wants to be a starter. He wanted the money to go along with it. Beggars can't be choosers.
Just to clear this up for folks that think Henry is the victim here:
Sat Mar 12 2005 - NFL Network reports Travis Henry is hurting his trade value with exhorbitant contract demands. Henry reportedly wants a $7 million signing bonus to match LaMont Jordan before a deal is completed. While the money may sound reasonable, teams aren't thrilled to pay a draft pick and big bucks with the glut of talent available in the draft and on the market.

From that article:

Sat Mar 12 2005 - NFL Network reports Travis Henry is hurting his trade value with exhorbitant contract demands. Henry reportedly wants a $7 million signing bonus to match LaMont Jordan before a deal is completed. While the money may sound reasonable, teams aren't thrilled to pay a draft pick and big bucks with the glut of talent available in the draft and on the market.
"AWWWW but he only wants to be a starter!!" :no: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

"reportedly" :confused: come on people, quit confusing rumor with journalism. I suppose because the NFL network is spreading the rumor, it MUST be true. Oh whoa is me, how far has Fox lowered the bar.

"reportedly" :confused: come on people, quit confusing rumor with journalism. I suppose because the NFL network is spreading the rumor, it MUST be true. Oh whoa is me, how far has Fox lowered the bar.
I hear ya and usually agree with you. But reportedly, they are usually right on the negotiation stuff. Teams and player agents leak info all the time to manipulate public opinion. At least reportedly. :yucky:

Honestly,While the debate about whether a team is better off trading for Alexander/James than drafting an unproven commodity like Brown/Williams/Benson is worth having, there's no NFL personnel executive on the Earth that should consider passing up one of those three for Travis Henry and a hefty new contract.

THIS JUST IN!!!

Travis Henry does not possess the talent level of a feature back. Slow, small, and average-at-best receiving skills do not give defenses much to worry about. It's no wonder that Bledsoe got hot when McGahee came on. Henry did well to keep the job above the marginal backs on the team for a few years, and I give him credit. He has a lot of heart, and got the most out of his talent. But let's quit pretending that it is bad luck that he can't find a starting job.
This just in!!!!!! Thats exactly what was said about E. Smith, you know the "all time leading rusher" Not that I am saying Henry is in the same class, but I think its not all about the Combine speed.... This is Football not Track and field... Henry is a stud RB.. He will be starting somewhere, and when he does, He will be running with a Chip on his shoulder... :yes:

Honestly,

While the debate about whether a team is better off trading for Alexander/James than drafting an unproven commodity like Brown/Williams/Benson is worth having, there's no NFL personnel executive on the Earth that should consider passing up one of those three for Travis Henry and a hefty new contract.
While you're right in saying that most exec's would rather take a chance on the Big 3, would or wouldn't it make more sense for a rebuilding team moving into a new stadium to trade for Henry, and use that 1st-rounder for a playmaker on defense (Rolle, Jones, DJ)? Or maybe Smith or Rodgers?Say they take Cadillac Williams and he busts? Oops, here we go again, more down years for the Cards! Trading for Henry is the safest route they could take. He has proven himself, which is more tham any rookie can say right now.

in all honesty i would of taken Henry over alot of FA RB's this year. i'd probably taken him over Lamont Jordan as well since he's proven. the guy has a great work ethic, always gets his yards and yet gets no respect from his surroundings in Buffalo nor the people on this board. Travis Henry deserves better imo.

I do feel bad for Henry (as bad as I can feel for a healthy NFL player). He was a horse for the Bills, and they didn't treat him too well. He outperformed his draft position, was extremely productive and very tough. Played with a broken leg, and now he can't find a job? :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread