What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRAVIS HENRY.........SOON A CARDINAL? (1 Viewer)

Chubbs

Footballguy
Now that the Cardnials seem to have walked away from the deal, signed Warner which increases there chances they may draft a Running Back.

Lamont Jordan signed deal with Oakland.

Cadillac and Brown running in the 4.4's making them sure top 7 picks.

(Miami #2), (Tampa #5), (*Tennessee #6), (Arizona #8) need backs

Plus the facts that RB's have increased there value from the Combine....

UPDATE 04/06/2005 ESPN INSIDER AKA SCOUTS INC.

Apr. 6 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the long-rumored Travis Henry-for-L.J. Shelton trade will be consummated within the next few days.

The deal has been delayed over the Bills' insistence that draft picks are included. Buffalo has been asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round, which Arizona now appears willing to do. If the trade goes through, Buffalo will move up from pick No. 55 to No. 44.

The only thing that could hold up the deal now is the status of Henry's contract. He has one year left on his deal, and the Cardinals would want to sign him to a long-term contract before making a trade.

Apr. 6 - Left tackle L.J. Shelton appears to be on his way to Buffalo in exchange for running back Travis Henry. Scouts Inc. is hearing that the long-rumored trade will be consummated within the next few days.

Shelton, who fell out of favor with Cardinals coach Dennis Green last season, was granted permission to seek a trade in February. He has already undergone a physical by the Bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that the Cardnials seem to have walked away from the deal.

Lamont Jordan on a plane to Oakland

Is Travis Henry S.O.L.

I think so.
I wouldn't be surprise to see Savage and Romeo go for him on the cheap in Cleveland if Green can be moved.

I honestly hope Jordan does not sign with the Raiders and either Henry or A-Train come to Oakland. Buffalo needs a cornerback don't they?

Is Travis Henry S.O.L.

I think so.
I wouldn't be surprise to see Savage and Romeo go for him on the cheap in Cleveland if Green can be moved.
to back up Suggs?

to back up Suggs?

No Suggs is not a starter. He runs to upright. I know he had some good games at the end of the season last year but there is no way he can stay healthy, he hasn't since high school.

Is Travis Henry S.O.L.

I think so.
Nope.....if things go as planned Travis Henry will be in a Colt uniform this fall!!!! :eek:

I honestly hope Jordan does not sign with the Raiders and either Henry or A-Train come to Oakland.

Buffalo needs a cornerback don't they?
Not really. Buffalo is pretty solid on the defensive side once they find a replacement for Mr. Williams.Buffalo was looking to get a 3rd rounder for Henry. I thought that would of been a steal really. But it doesn't even look like that will happen.

It doesn't look good for Henry right now, but a lot can happen between now and the start of the season. As things stand, Tampa, Arizona, and Oakland still don't have their starters. Jordan to Oakland looks like a strong possibility and the other two teams have high picks, but I could still see Henry ending up in one of those situations. Another possiblity is him going to the Jets to back up C-Mart in the event of the Jets losing Jordan. That would be a decent opportunity for Henry considering how old Martin is. Miami is another possibility. They're low on draft picks, but it's possible that they could do something like a 2006 third round pick for Henry. I'm not sure that Saban will be into that idea, but it remains a possibility.Also keep in mind that RBs get injured pretty often. All it takes is one turn of a starter's knee for some NFL team to suddenly become very interested in Henry's services.

I honestly hope Jordan does not sign with the Raiders and either Henry or A-Train come to Oakland. 

Not really. Buffalo is pretty solid on the defensive side once they find a replacement for Mr. Williams.Buffalo was looking to get a 3rd rounder for Henry. I thought that would of been a steal really. But it doesn't even look like that will happen.
Since Henry wants a new contract for many years and more money, I'd be scared to trade a 3rd for him and then risk him sit out because he couldn't get a new deal.

It doesn't look good for Henry right now, but a lot can happen between now and the start of the season. As things stand, Tampa, Arizona, and Oakland still don't have their starters. Jordan to Oakland looks like a strong possibility and the other two teams have high picks, but I could still see Henry ending up in one of those situations. Another possiblity is him going to the Jets to back up C-Mart in the event of the Jets losing Jordan. That would be a decent opportunity for Henry considering how old Martin is.

Miami is another possibility. They're low on draft picks, but it's possible that they could do something like a 2006 third round pick for Henry. I'm not sure that Saban will be into that idea, but it remains a possibility.

Also keep in mind that RBs get injured pretty often. All it takes is one turn of a starter's knee for some NFL team to suddenly become very interested in Henry's services.
I agree EBF. let's not forget that some guys WILL get hurt thereby creating a market for someone like Henry.

Also keep in mind that RBs get injured pretty often. All it takes is one turn of a starter's knee for some NFL team to suddenly become very interested in Henry's services.
This is definitely a good possibility. Otherwise Buffalo may just have to wait until after the draft. Some team might not get the RB they wanted and be left out if they waited too long to take one.

Dont' expect Herny to the Jets. Buffalo won't want to deal him in the division, and the Jets don't need him - if they lose Jordan, there are so many backup RB options, from Chester Taylor to Derrick Blaylock to Najeh Davenport to drafting in a deep RB class. No way the Jets give up a pick to a division rival in exchange for a runner who doesn't want to be a backup and who wants a new contract.

Not particularly, no.As a Bills fan, I want no part of Charles Woodson.

He could be going to Minnisota I know- they have MORE RBs than they know how to use but with Bennett getting hurt often and Smith one pipe away from a year suspension, they could look to move BOTH backs if they bring in Henry. They would still have MMoore in the mix, and also Moe. But, Henry would seem to fit the bill for the "new" ball control offense Tice has been hinting about.Vikings may renew pusuit of Henry

RUNNING BACKSSigned for 2005: Michael Bennett, Mewelde Moore, Onterrio Smith, Butchie Wallace, Moe WilliamsRFAs: NoneUFAs: NoneBreakdown: Just because Bennett and Smith are under contract for 2005 doesn’t mean both – or either – will be back next season. Coach Mike Tice hopes to return to a run-oriented offense, similar to the scheme that helped the Vikings lead the league in rushing in 2002. Neither Bennett nor Smith has proven durable enough to carry the load over an entire season (Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards in 2002, but has missed 15 games the last two seasons with injuries). The Vikings almost certainly will move Bennett or Smith before the upcoming draft; if they get the opportunity to trade for – or even draft – a true feature back, the Vikings might look to unload both players. Arizona and Miami reportedly are interested in Bennett, while Oakland has inquired about Smith. Arizona also remains interested in trading for Buffalo's Travis Henry. But those talks reportedly have slowed, potentially creating an opportunity for the Vikings to renew their pursuit of the disgruntled Bills running back.
Henry carrying the load with Moe mentoring Moore for the 3rd down/GL back role would be pretty good, IMO.Mike

to back up Suggs?
No Suggs is not a starter. He runs to upright. I know he had some good games at the end of the season last year but there is no way he can stay healthy, he hasn't since high school.

You think Henry would beat out Suggs? :no:

Not much news, except for Arizona seemingly dropping out of the Shelton trade.I wouldn't rule out a potential draft day trade, but it seems like the Bills are content to let him sit as a nice insurance policy.

For us Travis Henry owners who have Willis, it's still a pretty sweet deal. And at this point, depending on what job opens up, I'd rather sit on Henry until he's a FA next offseason & let him pick his spot. He very well could end up in an ideal situation. He's only 26 & will still be 27 when the '06 season begins.Patience is a virtue. :)

i don't get how some of you folks who seem to think Travis Henry is some sort of slug RB. :no: he is as tough as any RB in the league and ran for two great seasons behind a below average Offensive Line.

I would take Tennessee off that list. Why would they trade for Henry when they have Chris Brown and this year's draft is very deep with RB talent?

i don't get how some of you folks who seem to think Travis Henry is some sort of slug RB.    :no:

he is as tough as any RB in the league and ran for two great seasons behind a below average Offensive Line.
I don't think most are saying that he's a "slug" - quite the opposite. But NFL teams sure aren't beating down his door, and as much better evaluators of talent than we are, that has to mean something.EDIT: More likely, I think it's the case of teams not viewing Henry as much of an upgrade over the vast pool of talent in the draft.

i don't get how some of you folks who seem to think Travis Henry is some sort of slug RB.    :no:

he is as tough as any RB in the league and ran for two great seasons behind a below average Offensive Line.
I don't think most are saying that he's a "slug" - quite the opposite. But NFL teams sure aren't beating down his door, and as much better evaluators of talent than we are, that has to mean something.
Yup. It means the market is flooded and his agent isn't doing much to help him. Keep in mind that the RB situations in a couple places are far from settled. Worst case, Henry ends up as the so-called backup somewhere and in due time wins the job on his own skill, which people seem to discount for some reason. I have him in a dyansty league and as I told someone 2 weeks ago, his value is only going to increase from here.

Colin

It doesn't look good for Henry right now, but a lot can happen between now and the start of the season. As things stand, Tampa, Arizona, and Oakland still don't have their starters. Jordan to Oakland looks like a strong possibility and the other two teams have high picks, but I could still see Henry ending up in one of those situations. Another possiblity is him going to the Jets to back up C-Mart in the event of the Jets losing Jordan. That would be a decent opportunity for Henry considering how old Martin is.

Miami is another possibility. They're low on draft picks, but it's possible that they could do something like a 2006 third round pick for Henry. I'm not sure that Saban will be into that idea, but it remains a possibility.

Didn't I read that Derrick Blaylock was signed to the Jets, I would assume to back up C Martin?

Didn't I read that Derrick Blaylock was signed to the Jets, I would assume to back up C Martin?
Yes, but if you look at the date of the post (3/2), that was before Jordan was signed by OAK and Blaylock by the Jets.

Is Travis Henry    S.O.L.

I think so.
to back up Suggs?
I don't know if you saw the wk16 Cle/Mia game in Mia, but Suggs was given the starting spot and didn't show a whole lot of promise. Date Opp Att Yds Avg Lg TD Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Fum Rec Yds TD

12/26 @Mia 38 143 3.8 13 0 1 4 4.0 4 0 2 1 0 0

I'm sure one could argue that Cleveland's line stinks, Miami has an above average run-D, locusts chewed up the field at half-time, blah, blah, blah, my point is Suggs didn't look like a full-time back. He fumbled twice and looked like he was running in quick sand towards the end of the game. Suggs knew that was his chance to show something and I think he came up flat.

Travis Henry is tough as nails, plays hurt, has a nose for the endzone and is more in the Dillion mold, than Suggs is, which is what I would believe Crennel is looking for to carry the rock. Are we forgetting that Henry had back-to-back seasons of 1300 yards rushing and double-digit TDs before last year?

THIS JUST IN!!!Travis Henry does not possess the talent level of a feature back. Slow, small, and average-at-best receiving skills do not give defenses much to worry about. It's no wonder that Bledsoe got hot when McGahee came on. Henry did well to keep the job above the marginal backs on the team for a few years, and I give him credit. He has a lot of heart, and got the most out of his talent. But let's quit pretending that it is bad luck that he can't find a starting job.

THIS JUST IN!!!

Travis Henry does not possess the talent level of a feature back. Slow, small, and average-at-best receiving skills do not give defenses much to worry about. It's no wonder that Bledsoe got hot when McGahee came on. Henry did well to keep the job above the marginal backs on the team for a few years, and I give him credit. He has a lot of heart, and got the most out of his talent. But let's quit pretending that it is bad luck that he can't find a starting job.
you're kidding, right? avg >4.0ypc w/ >320 carries, >1350 yards rush, >10 TDs in back-to-back years before last. you're right, that's not a feature back, that's closer to stud.

| 2001 buf | 13 | 213 729 3.4 4 | 22 179 8.1 0 |

| 2002 buf | 16 | 325 1438 4.4 13 | 43 309 7.2 1 |

| 2003 buf | 15 | 331 1356 4.1 10 | 28 158 5.6 1 |

| 2004 buf | 10 | 94 326 3.5 0 | 10 45 4.5 0 |

| TOTAL | 54 | 963 3849 4.0 27 | 103 691 6.7 2 |

THIS JUST IN!!!

Travis Henry does not possess the talent level of a feature back.  Slow, small, and average-at-best receiving skills do not give defenses much to worry about.  It's no wonder that Bledsoe got hot when McGahee came on.  Henry did well to keep the job above the marginal backs on the team for a few years, and I give him credit.  He has a lot of heart, and got the most out of his talent.  But let's quit pretending that it is bad luck that he can't find a starting job.
you're kidding, right? avg >4.0ypc w/ >320 carries, >1350 yards rush, >10 TDs in back-to-back years before last. you're right, that's not a feature back, that's closer to stud.

I am not kidding at all. Like I said, he got the most out of his talent. But look how poorly the offense did. The reason he averaged 4 ypc is because the defense did not respect him. Why would they? Was he big enough to punish them? No. Was he fast enough to break a long one? No. Was he a major threat out of the backfield? No. You can flash fantasy stats all you want. But that is not what NFL coaches care about most...

I think so.
Could be. Crennel has certainly seem him play quite a bit over the last several years as a divisional rival.And I agree that he could beat Suggs out handily.

THIS JUST IN!!!

Travis Henry does not possess the talent level of a feature back.  Slow, small, and average-at-best receiving skills do not give defenses much to worry about.  It's no wonder that Bledsoe got hot when McGahee came on.  Henry did well to keep the job above the marginal backs on the team for a few years, and I give him credit.  He has a lot of heart, and got the most out of his talent.  But let's quit pretending that it is bad luck that he can't find a starting job.

I am not kidding at all. Like I said, he got the most out of his talent. But look how poorly the offense did. The reason he averaged 4 ypc is because the defense did not respect him. Why would they? Was he big enough to punish them? No. Was he fast enough to break a long one? No. Was he a major threat out of the backfield? No. You can flash fantasy stats all you want. But that is not what NFL coaches care about most...
Its tough to count henry's last year because the coaching staff was just looking for any excuse to get McGahee the ball. However, the previous two years he did a pretty decent job doing the things you claim he can't, he was able to pick up the short yardage, he occassionaly broke the long one, not a major threat out of the back field, but could get the job done. I wouldn't consider 5'9'', 215 small either.Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

02 Buffalo 16 16 325 1438 4.4 34 13 10 72

03 Buffalo 15 15 331 1356 4.1 64 10 5 76

I'm sure he'll sign on with someone and depending on the situation, I think he'll bounce back no problem.

I just posted something similar to this about A.Thomas. I do know T.Henry is a better skilled RB then A.Thomas but Buffalo signed Mcgahee for a reason and also gave him a chance to start for a reason. Henry is good but there is something that we don't see that NFL personel seems to be seeing in him that shows why he lost his starting job and as of right now that he is not a starting rb for a team next season.Henry had a couple of great seasons but his value seems to be on the decline really fast. This could obviously change but how many RB's have posted numbers like T. Herny did and then lost there starting job and moved onto another team to post similar numbers??? I don't know the answer but maybe someone will and this may help determine his probability of being an efficient starting back again.I know S.Davis is one guy. Remember they had to have posted numbers of similar value with their ex team. Priest Holmes would be borderline as he did not post nearly the numbers in Baltimore that he did and does in KC. In fact he barely ran for 2000 yds in 4 seasons with Baltimore for an average of 500 yds a season so he I would not even consider him on this list.I know guys switch teams and then have breakout seasons like I am hoping the case is for L.Jordan in Oak but do RB's have re-break-out seasons on different teams??? My guess is it rarely if ever happens.

I am not kidding at all. Like I said, he got the most out of his talent. But look how poorly the offense did. The reason he averaged 4 ypc is because the defense did not respect him. Why would they? Was he big enough to punish them? No. Was he fast enough to break a long one? No. Was he a major threat out of the backfield? No.

You can flash fantasy stats all you want. But that is not what NFL coaches care about most...
:rotflmao: A RB goes for 3,261 total yards in two years (almost 4.5 yds/touch) and scores 25 TDs and it is all because the defenses didn't respect him.

I am not kidding at all. Like I said, he got the most out of his talent. But look how poorly the offense did. The reason he averaged 4 ypc is because the defense did not respect him. Why would they? Was he big enough to punish them? No. Was he fast enough to break a long one? No. Was he a major threat out of the backfield? No.

You can flash fantasy stats all you want. But that is not what NFL coaches care about most...
In 2003 and 2004, Bills opponents frequently stacked 8 or 9 men in the box to stop the Bills running game b/c nobody feared Bledsoe and the passing game.

I think so.
to back up Suggs?
I don't know if you saw the wk16 Cle/Mia game in Mia, but Suggs was given the starting spot and didn't show a whole lot of promise. Date Opp Att Yds Avg Lg TD Rec Yds Avg Lg TD Fum Rec Yds TD

12/26 @Mia 38 143 3.8 13 0 1 4 4.0 4 0 2 1 0 0

I'm sure one could argue that Cleveland's line stinks, Miami has an above average run-D, locusts chewed up the field at half-time, blah, blah, blah, my point is Suggs didn't look like a full-time back. He fumbled twice and looked like he was running in quick sand towards the end of the game. Suggs knew that was his chance to show something and I think he came up flat.

Travis Henry is tough as nails, plays hurt, has a nose for the endzone and is more in the Dillion mold, than Suggs is, which is what I would believe Crennel is looking for to carry the rock. Are we forgetting that Henry had back-to-back seasons of 1300 yards rushing and double-digit TDs before last year?
While i don't think Suggs is the future RB for the Browns, I will defend him by saying he had 38 carries that game. He broke an old Jim Brown record that night.

So let's get to the heart of the matter...Where's Henry going? I have him on one of my teams. Should I trade him now while I can, or be patient and wait it out? I have 4 starters ahead of him, BTW.Arizona, Caroina, Houston, Minnesota, Indy, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...

So let's get to the heart of the matter...

Where's Henry going? I have him on one of my teams. Should I trade him now while I can, or be patient and wait it out? I have 4 starters ahead of him, BTW.

Arizona, Caroina, Houston, Minnesota, Indy, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...
I think he is SOL for 2005 in a buyer's market for RBs...but maybe next year a few more openings and a few less FA/trade/draft options will land him a decent starting gig, which I think he has and his agent seem to be fine with.From our standpoint he might not be making the right decision, but it isn't that clear cut.

The only way he will really push for a trade to happen is if the new team is going to give him a contract extension at a higher level.

Teams aren't sour on Henry, it's just a buyer's market.

So let's get to the heart of the matter...

Where's Henry going? I have him on one of my teams. Should I trade him now while I can, or be patient and wait it out? I have 4 starters ahead of him, BTW.

Arizona, Caroina, Houston, Minnesota, Indy, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland...
I think he is SOL for 2005 in a buyer's market for RBs...but maybe next year a few more openings and a few less FA/trade/draft options will land him a decent starting gig, which I think he has and his agent seem to be fine with.From our standpoint he might not be making the right decision, but it isn't that clear cut.

The only way he will really push for a trade to happen is if the new team is going to give him a contract extension at a higher level.

Teams aren't sour on Henry, it's just a buyer's market.
good example of a logical thought process :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Im sure the Bills will take him as the back up but he may cause a distraction. Poor Travis, I like the guy but he seems destined for the bench in 2005. :no:

He's getting what he deserves. He should've swallowed his pride and gone to Arizona, but he had to be stubborn about his contract.

Henry may be short but he is not a small guy. He bench presses over 400 pounds, and there is not a linebacker in the league that wants to tackle him in the open field.He will have his highest value when a starting running back for a team that has playoff aspirations goes down for the year in training camp. Donaho may hold on to him until the regular season starts.

With arizona backing out of Henry, do yo consider that a lock for them to pick a RB with their first pick?Can they rest on Shipp and improve their team elsewhere. Remember, the NFL isn't all about fantasy football and the Cards may actually want to improve on defense.I think with Shipp there that they will pick another need with their first pick and draft a RB later in day one. Just my take. I have written Shipp totally off yet.

Henry may be short but he is not a small guy. He bench presses over 400 pounds, and there is not a linebacker in the league that wants to tackle him in the open field.

He will have his highest value when a starting running back for a team that has playoff aspirations goes down for the year in training camp. Donaho may hold on to him until the regular season starts.
That team may be Buffalo. Willis is not made of steal. Buffalo would be smart to hang onto Henry and trade him during the season or right before. Just for insurance.

If you are a M.Shipp owner I am sure you are hoping that Arizona does little to aquire a rb. If I owned him I would be hoping they drafted a RB whereas they would start with Shipp as the starter and work the rookie rb in slowly and hopefully not that much b/c Shipp was producing. Shipp can then have a chance to produce as RB 2 on fantasy teams and prove that he can start in the league. However, it is hard to rely on a guy that has come off of a major injury to be your starter.

There's no way that Arizona relies on Shipp. Plus, they're still looking to trade LJ Shelton. I think that we need to wait and see what happens with Shelton, but I would be shocked if Arizona didn't bring somebody in via trade or FA to compete with Shipp.

There's no way that Arizona relies on Shipp. Plus, they're still looking to trade LJ Shelton. I think that we need to wait and see what happens with Shelton, but I would be shocked if Arizona didn't bring somebody in via trade or FA to compete with Shipp.
I agree that there is little chance that Green goes with Shipp. Who knows what the real reason is for Green's demotion of Shipp (motivation, actually being outplayed, etc), but Green inherited the guy, and clearly was not his choice.

Now, a full year later, after already having been in the doghouse and suffering a major injury (which he doesn't seem to be fully recovered from), does anyone realistically think that Green will avoid handpicking his own guy by then?

Me neither.

EDIT: I still wouldn't rule out a Henry trade once we get closer to the draft and the Bills perhaps lower their demands.

I am not kidding at all.  Like I said, he got the most out of his talent.  But look how poorly the offense did.  The reason he averaged 4 ypc is because the defense did not respect him.  Why would they?  Was he big enough to punish them?  No.  Was he fast enough to break a long one?  No.  Was he a major threat out of the backfield?  No. 

You can flash fantasy stats all you want.  But that is not what NFL coaches care about most...
In 2003 and 2004, Bills opponents frequently stacked 8 or 9 men in the box to stop the Bills running game b/c nobody feared Bledsoe and the passing game.
chicken & egg debates aside, their entire offense suddenly started to look good last year...about the time when McGahee came in. So, does that tell us something? :confused:

I thought the reason Arizona backed out of the trade for Travis Henry was because they wanted to select a RB in the draft :unsure:

I was thinking about the S.Alexander rumor to Miami. If that is the case, would Henry fit into a Holmgren offense in Seattle?

Users who are viewing this thread