What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip to Australia (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
Yesterday found a really cheap fare to Sydney so I booked a trip for the family to go in August (yes, I know it is the end of their winter there). We will be there for I think 8 nights. Can anyone give some recommendations on where to go, what to do, etc? Should we do more than one location? Things to avoid? Kids will be 11 and 13 and like outdoors stuff, so hikes and exploring type things are welcome, along with touristy/culture stuff. 

TIA

Been several times, my sister lives in Melbourne.  

I would do 2/3 days in Sydney.  2/3 days in Melbourne.  Great Barrier Reef is epic, but a bit aggressive with your timeline and kids.

Sydney Highlights for kids:  zoo, beaches, sporting events

Melbourne Highlights:  Phillip Island, sporting events, great ocean road

Watch out for pickpockets 
Seriously?

I would do 2/3 days in Sydney.  2/3 days in Melbourne.  Great Barrier Reef is epic, but a bit aggressive with your timeline and kids.

Is Australia best done by renting a car? Or is it more of a public transit location?

Since you’re all the way out there, I would recommend going to NZ as well — totally different but equally enriching experience (pm me if you want to know more). If that’s a no-go, consider getting scuba certified and going to Cairns so you can scuba in the Great Barrier Reef. 

Since you’re all the way out there, I would recommend going to NZ as well — totally different but equally enriching experience (pm me if you want to know more). If that’s a no-go, consider getting scuba certified and going to Cairns so you can scuba in the Great Barrier Reef. 
Not sure taking the family of 4 to NZ additionally is in the cards in terms of time or $$.  How difficult is getting scuba certified?  Is diving in the winter months not advisable for any reason?

Polish Hammer said:
Seriously?

Is Australia best done by renting a car? Or is it more of a public transit location?
Kind of dangerous unless you are used to their traffic laws

Having lived in AUS for 2yrs, I'd feel ashamed if I didn't tell you to fit New Zealand in there.

As much as I enjoyed my time studying abroad, Australia is honestly not much different than Canada/USA, aside from constant warm weather and beaches (if you're on the coast)

New Zealand is whole new world.

But, 100% Sydney for 8 days will be pure boredom. Gotta hit the reef if you're there. Sunshine Coast. Ayer's Rock is legit middle fo nowhere not worth your time or $.

You'll enjoy it. The flight is hell (was 24hrs each way for me, with only ONE layover in Los Angeles)

Having lived in AUS for 2yrs, I'd feel ashamed if I didn't tell you to fit New Zealand in there.

As much as I enjoyed my time studying abroad, Australia is honestly not much different than Canada/USA, aside from constant warm weather and beaches (if you're on the coast)

New Zealand is whole new world.

But, 100% Sydney for 8 days will be pure boredom. Gotta hit the reef if you're there. Sunshine Coast. Ayer's Rock is legit middle fo nowhere not worth your time or $.

You'll enjoy it. The flight is hell (was 24hrs each way for me, with only ONE layover in Los Angeles)
That's going to be our flight - PHL - LAX - SYD.  The LAX-SYD legs are 15 hours, but are overnight so with the right medications that should eat up half of the "in air" time.  I hope.

We have a total of 8 nights there, landing in and departing from Sydney.  If that was the structure you had to work with, how would you break up the days (keeping in mind I'm lugging along 11 and 13 year old boys plus my wife for all of this)?

tough question, as i was student there and basically planned weekend and summer vacations

If youre not going to leave AUS, Id just recommend 2 days in Sydney, 2 in melbourne, 2 at the reef and maybe 2 in surfer's paradise. Or a variation within. 

Mind you, surfer's paradise can be replaced by Bondi beach in sydney. 

tough question, as i was student there and basically planned weekend and summer vacations

If youre not going to leave AUS, Id just recommend 2 days in Sydney, 2 in melbourne, 2 at the reef and maybe 2 in surfer's paradise. Or a variation within. 

Mind you, surfer's paradise can be replaced by Bondi beach in sydney. 
While I liked Melbourne, it is still a city in AUS and probably not a dramatically different experience than Sydney.  For 8 days, I would recommend one 4/5 day trip to Port Douglas and the reef over doing flights every other day. Plus up north will be warmer in August. 

consider getting scuba certified and going to Cairns so you can scuba in the Great Barrier Reef. 
Yup, absolutely worth it.  Being under water with hundreds of fish all around you, looking at the reef, is well worth the training and longer than expected (by me at least) boat ride out.

Visit the Sydney Opera house. That's all I've got since I've never been.
It may seem like a 'whatever' to some, but the building is spectacular.  The surrounding area is very cool as well. Take the boat across if you have the time.

Very good suggestions here.  The beaches in Cairns are really cool as well (if that's something your family would be into).  There are helicopter rides you can easily book there as well.

This is worth your time as well.  Even those with minor trepidation will be fine.  The views are spectacular from up there.  Try and time it so you'll be near the top of the bridge around sunset.

Note that 'Ayer's Rock' is now called Uluru and as of ~6 weeks ago climbing the rock is now prohibited.  Frankly, I'm not sure a trip there is worth the time, energy, and money to do so any longer.  Just my 2 cents.  Also, enjoy the longggg flight. Be prepared to watch multiple movies. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread