What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trivia Questions (AP All Pros) (1 Viewer)

Adam Harstad

#1: Two players hold the record for most first team AP All Pro awards with 10 each. One is Jerry Rice. Who is the other?

#2: Three active players have 6 first team AP All Pro awards each. Who are they?

#3: Four more active players have at least 3 first team AP All Pro awards and 8 or more Pro Bowls. Who are they?

#4: Forty nine players in NFL history have been named to 3 or more first team AP All Pro teams and 9 or more pro bowls. Four of them are still active. Thirty eight are in the Hall of Fame. Six more are retired, but not yet eligible for Hall of Fame consideration. Who are they?

#5: That leaves just one player in NFL history who earned three or more first team AP All Pro awards and nine or more Pro Bowl berths, who is eligible for the Hall of Fame, and who has not been elected. Can you name him? As a bonus, how many first team AP All Pro awards did he earn?

Edit: Fixed my counts

Bonus question: Two active players have the exact same number of Pro Bowl appearances and All Pro awards, with a minimum of three each. Can you name them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try this without looking it up

Reggie White

Champ Bailey

Ed Reed

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Charles Woodson

Ray Lewis

Brian Urlacher

Brett Farve

L.T.

Isaac Bruce

Walter Jones

Tim Brown

Adrian Peterson and Roddy White

I am going to try this without looking it up

Reggie White

Champ Bailey

Ed Reed

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Charles Woodson

Ray Lewis

Brian Urlacher

Brett Farve

L.T.

Isaac Bruce

Walter Jones

Tim Brown

Adrian Peterson and Roddy White
#1 - Nope, not Reggie White

#2 - Both of these guys are the right answer to the wrong question.

#3 - Yes to Woodson. No to Brees and Manning.

#4 - Yes to Lewis, Favre, and Jones. Urlacher is one pro bowl short, Tomlinson only made 5 pro bowls (surprisingly enough), Isaac Bruce never made a single first-team AP All Pro.

#5 - Tim Brown actually never made a single first team All Pro. Surprisingly enough, he only made a single second team AP All Pro, too.

Bonus: Nope to both.

Some very good guesses, though. I expect some of these (especially the bonus question) to be real stumpers unless someone cheats.

The problem with internet trivia is it's to east to cheat, when I answer them all right you will know I'm cheating.

I will take a shot at #5: Ray Guy
Great guess. He hits the 3 All Pro mark, but falls two pro bowls shy of the required 9 Pro Bowls.
#1: Jim Otto?
Winner. Otto made 10 first team All Pros in his first 11 seasons. The first 8 of them came strictly against the AFL, but he also made it the first two years after the league merged.So far we have:

#1 - Jim Otto

#2 - Three still to go

#3 - Charles Woodson + two still to go

#4 - Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Walter Jones + three still to go

#5 - Not guessed yet

Bonus - Two still to go

I bet #5 is a kicker but I'm blanking on who it is. One of those old 70s guys?
Not a kicker. Three pure kickers have made 7 pro bowls, but none have made more than that. Groza, Lary, and Van Brocklin all made 9 pro bowls as part-time kickers in the 2-way player era, but all three have been enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Wait, Peyton Manning has to be one of the answers to #2, right?

Bailey and Reed are probably the other two answers to #3.

Chase Stuart said:
I cheated on #5. There's a very good reason he wasn't elected to the HOF.
Well, there's a reason. Whether it's a "very good" reason or not is subjective and depends a lot on what criteria you think the HoF should be taking into consideration.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Wait, Peyton Manning has to be one of the answers to #2, right?Bailey and Reed are probably the other two answers to #3.
Yes to all three.

Evilgrin 72 said:
Chase Stuart said:
Is it Seau?
Seau is not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame. He is, however, one of the three unidentified answers to question #4.

Chase Stuart said:
Jim Tyrer
Yup, that's #5. Tyrer was a 9-time pro bowler and 6-time all pro for the Kansas City Chiefs in the '60s and early '70s. In 1980, he killed his wife and then committed suicide. He was a Hall of Fame finalist the subsequent year, but never again received serious consideration, which makes him the only one to hit the arbitrary "9 pro bowls / 3 all pros" benchmark and not make it into Canton.

Spin said:
#2 Patrick Willis, I think he's had 6?
Only 5 so far, with 6 pro bowls.
Yah, Going through the Niners roster in my head I thought he had 6.

Although going through it again, I think the answer to one of the bonus is:

Andy Lee, I'm pretty sure he had 3 of each. But he may have more Pro bowls then that.

So to recap with who we've gotten so far:

#1 - 10 All Pros = Jerry Rice and Jim Otto

#2 - Active Players with 6 All Pros = Peyton Manning, Tony Gonzalez, and Shane Lechler

#3 - Active Players with 3 All Pros + 8 Pro Bowls = Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, and Antonio Gates

#4 - Recently retired players with 3 All Pros + 9 Pro Bowls = Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Walter Jones, Junior Seau, Derrick Brooks, and 1 unidentified.

#5 - Long retured player with 3 All Pros and 9 Pro Bowls who is not in the HoF = Jim Tyrer

Bonus: TwoThree active players with an equal number of Pro Bowls and All Pros (minimum 3) = Andy Lee, Devin Hester, + 1 unidentified.

Edit: Added Andy Lee. Great catch, Spin!

Andy Lee, I'm pretty sure he had 3 of each. But he may have more Pro bowls then that.
Good catch on Andy Lee. I missed him because his three pro bowl seasons were not the same three seasons as his three All Pro seasons, but he does in fact also fit the bonus question. So there are three active players who fit the criteria, and the two I originally found are still out there (as well as any others I may have missed).

#2 - Active Players with 6 All Pros = Peyton Manning, and 2 unidentified.

#3 - Active Players with 3 All Pros + 8 Pro Bowls = Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, and 1 unidentified.

#4 - Recently retired players with 3 All Pros + 9 Pro Bowls = Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Walter Jones, Junior Seau, and 2 unidentified.

#5 - Long retured player with 3 All Pros and 9 Pro Bowls who is not in the HoF = Jim Tyrer

Bonus: TwoThree active players with an equal number of Pro Bowls and All Pros (minimum 3) = Andy Lee + 2 unidentified.

One of the answers to #2 should be blindingly obvious, while the other is slightly less so. The names for questions #3 and #4 should also be pretty gettable with a little bit of thought. One of the answers to the bonus question is a guy I would have guessed eventually (though it would have taken a while), while the other answer never would have occurred to me. Good luck with that one.

Is it Tony Gonzalez?

#3 - Active Players with 3 All Pros + 8 Pro Bowls = Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, and 1 unidentified.

#4 - Recently retired players with 3 All Pros + 9 Pro Bowls = Ray Lewis, Brett Favre, Walter Jones, Junior Seau, and 2 unidentified.

Bonus: TwoThree active players with an equal number of Pro Bowls and All Pros (minimum 3) = Andy Lee + 2 unidentified.

One of the answers to #2 should be blindingly obvious, while the other is slightly less so. The names for questions #3 and #4 should also be pretty gettable with a little bit of thought. One of the answers to the bonus question is a guy I would have guessed eventually (though it would have taken a while), while the other answer never would have occurred to me. Good luck with that one.

Is it Tony Gonzalez?
Yup.

Is it Tony Gonzalez?
Yup.
And Peyton Manning is not the unidentified player in question 3?

Is it Tony Gonzalez?
Yup.
And Peyton Manning is not the unidentified player in question 3?
Pretty sure since he was an answer for #2, he is not eligible for #3

Question says: #3: Four more active players have at least 3 first team AP All Pro awards and 8 or more Pro Bowls. Who are they?

That seems to say that besides the previously mentioned players, there are four additional that fit the criteria for #3.

Is it Tony Gonzalez?
Yup.
Also on the TE kick, Gates should fit the criteria for either #2 or #3. Not sure if he got to 6 all-pro or not, but he has to be pretty darn close.

That seems to say that besides the previously mentioned players, there are four additional that fit the criteria for #3.
Yes

Shane Lechler another for #2?
Yes

Also on the TE kick, Gates should fit the criteria for either #2 or #3. Not sure if he got to 6 all-pro or not, but he has to be pretty darn close.
Yes. Gates has 3 All Pros and 8 Pro Bowls, meaning he's the last answer to question #3.

Alright, I updated the list with what we've gotten. We've gotten all the active players, so we just need two recently retired players with 3+ All Pros and 9+ Pro Bowls, as well as the two active players with an equal number of All Pros and Pro Bowls.

I think I got another one for #4. I'm kicking myself for not guessing him earlier because I JUST heard him on the radio - Derrick Brooks.

#5 - Joe Thomas, Darrelle Revis, Devin Hester, Jared Allen. Tried to think of guys that had a few huge years and are either too young to have more really good, but not great years, or have had injury issues. I can't think of any others that would fit the bill.

I think I got another one for #4. I'm kicking myself for not guessing him earlier because I JUST heard him on the radio - Derrick Brooks.
Yes to Derrick Brooks. If you're kicking yourself for missing him, you're going to REALLY kick yourself once someone guesses the last name on that list. *CoughcoughFORMERSTEELERcoughcough*.

#5 - Joe Thomas, Darrelle Revis, Devin Hester, Jared Allen. Tried to think of guys that had a few huge years and are either too young to have more really good, but not great years, or have had injury issues. I can't think of any others that would fit the bill.
Yes to Hester. Great guess- I never would have thought of him, because I tend to forget the AP names returners to its All Pro team. The other name is still out there.

Bruce Matthews has 10 all pros
Only 7 first team AP All Pros. He has three additional second team, but we're looking only at first team.

Also, no to Peterson and Calvin- both have had seasons where they made the Pro Bowl but fell short of All Pro status. To give a hint to the last name in the bonus question... the player has made four consecutive pro bowls and 1st team All Pros. His streak is still active.

Adam Harstad said:
FUBAR said:
Only 7 first team AP All Pros. He has three additional second team, but we're looking only at first team.

Also, no to Peterson and Calvin- both have had seasons where they made the Pro Bowl but fell short of All Pro status. To give a hint to the last name in the bonus question... the player has made four consecutive pro bowls and 1st team All Pros. His streak is still active.
Just going by Wikipedia for Adrian Peterson:

Adam Harstad said:
FUBAR said:

Adam Harstad said:
FUBAR said:

Wikipedia counts 2nd team All Pros, and sometimes All Pros from organizations other than the AP. Pro-football-reference is much more consistent with their handling of postseason awards, and correctly have Peterson down with three first-team AP All Pros (2008, 2009, 2012) and two second-team AP All Pros (2007, 2010).

Vonta Leach for Bonus?
Vonta Leach is another guy who fits the bonus question criteria who I missed with my first search. My Search-Fu apparently sucked when I posted this. You have to quit with this, Spin; you're making me look bad.

So, yes, Vonta Leach for the bonus... but the guy I was originally looking for is still out there, too.

Edit: Okay, my search-fu doesn't suck as much as I thought, it's that PFR hasn't updated its search tools to include 2012 awards yet, so if someone made their 3rd Pro Bowl / All Pro in 2012, I wouldn't have caught them. Having factored this in and repeated the search, I can now say that there are absolutely, positively, 100% without question only four players who meet the bonus criteria, and I'm sticking with that until Spin comes out and makes me look stupid again.

So, Bonus Question = Devin Hester, Andy Lee, Vonta Leach, and ____________. I must say, this unidentified player might just be the most anonymous player ever to be sporting an active streak of four straight first team AP All Pro selections.

Adam Harstad said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Yes to Derrick Brooks. If you're kicking yourself for missing him, you're going to REALLY kick yourself once someone guesses the last name on that list. *CoughcoughFORMERSTEELERcoughcough*.
Is it Faneca? I didn't think he made it to 9 Pro Bowls.

Users who are viewing this thread