What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump's Government Shutdown (1 Viewer)

Workhorse

Footballguy
Time to start a new thread.  He just told Ryan that he won't sign the Senate CR.  Over/under on number of days this goes?  

Pulling troops out of Syria against the will of most of his party and General Mattis. Being solely responsible for a government shutdown over the holidays while he golfs in Mar Lago....  Is Trump shooting for the lowest approval rating on record?  It's like he's purposely trying to be a horrible President to spite someone.

Good....  If they cant do the number one job they are there for, then there is no reason for them to be there. 

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Pulling troops out of Syria against the will of most of his party and General Mattis. Being solely responsible for a government shutdown over the holidays while he golfs in Mar Lago....  Is Trump shooting for the lowest approval rating on record?  It's like he's purposely trying to be a horrible President to spite someone.
He’s just following orders.  

This is just how the art of the deal works, you guys don't understand. The guy is a billionaire businessman, he knows what he's doing. 

He was going to call it the Pelosi shutdown but she beat him to the punch...
A-wah? Did you say trump shutdown? Wait, did you say trump? Trump shutdown? Wait, wha? Trump? I was going to call it pelosi shutdown, but now that it’s called a trump shutdown I need to do it, otherwise my name won’t be in it. No shutdown, no trump name getting out there. Free publicity! 

Someone needs to go to Arlington and flip the caskets back over because those guys must be rolling all over the place. 

A-wah? Did you say trump shutdown? Wait, did you say trump? Trump shutdown? Wait, wha? Trump? I was going to call it pelosi shutdown, but now that it’s called a trump shutdown I need to do it, otherwise my name won’t be in it. No shutdown, no trump name getting out there. Free publicity! 

Someone needs to go to Arlington and flip the caskets back over because those guys must be rolling all over the place. 
Won't be Trump.  He's not real familiar with Arlington. 

Shutdown or no shutdown- whatever it is politics. The part that really sucks IMO is that he said he was onboard and would sign and then flipped a day later. Nobody knows what to expect with this guy. Turmoil and uncertainty is not good for governemnt, leadership, the economy, etc. 

It sure seems to be accelerating.  But then again, it always has seemed that way ever since the elections.  

President Trump wouldn’t want that: He said, on national television, that he wants this to be thought of as his shutdown. He wants to own it fully and is proud to do so. 
Nope says right in his morning tweet storm it’ll be the Dems fault 

Also wants McConnel to use the nuclear option, whatever that is

Nope says right in his morning tweet storm it’ll be the Dems fault 

Also wants McConnel to use the nuclear option, whatever that is
Too bad his quotes already say otherwise including past ones calling any shut down a failure in leadership by the President.  This one is all his.

Please change title to Democrat Shutdown
“You want to know something?” Mr. Trump finally said, exasperated. “I’ll tell you what: I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck.”

“I will take the mantle,” Mr. Trump went on. “I will be the one to shut it down — I’m not going to blame you for it.”

When Republicans control the House, Senate and Presidency and have for two years and STILL couldn’t pass funding for the wall resulting in a government shutdown, blaming the Democrats is quite frankly the most idiotic political ploy in our lifetimes. 
Or just another bullet point in this presidency.

Fiscal year ends September 30, but Congress is in recess until October 15. So no budget or long term spending bills before fiscal year.

The House passed a spending resolution September 19th. The Senate pass one September 26th.  The president signed bill September 27th. The government is funded until November 21st, just in time for Thanksgiving.
Which should put us right in the middle of the impeachment process. I could see a stubborn GOP or Trump holding government shutdown as some type of pointless bargaining chip. 

Which should put us right in the middle of the impeachment process. I could see a stubborn GOP or Trump holding government shutdown as some type of pointless bargaining chip. 
Sure, but it would be a bad look.  I'm guessing both sides will want to move that along.

Sure, but it would be a bad look.  I'm guessing both sides will want to move that along.
I would think so too. Just wondering if there could be a point where the writing is on the wall. Would Trump take the attitude of "If you don't want me to be President, then I won't do Presidential things". And just refuse to sign an extension?

I would think so too. Just wondering if there could be a point where the writing is on the wall. Would Trump take the attitude of "If you don't want me to be President, then I won't do Presidential things". And just refuse to sign an extension?
I guess so.  Not sure what good it would do him, other than the short-lived catharsis of a tantrum.  Good excuse for Mitch to break out of Trump's orbit, if indeed "the writing is on the wall" as you say.  Lord knows Mitch could use the practice.

If the writing is on the wall, Trump will have no friends on the Hill.

I guess so.  Not sure what good it would do him, other than the short-lived catharsis of a tantrum.  Good excuse for Mitch to break out of Trump's orbit, if indeed "the writing is on the wall" as you say.  Lord knows Mitch could use the practice.

If the writing is on the wall, Trump will have no friends on the Hill.
Right. Because Trump wouldn't throw a tantrum. 

An extended government shutdown that appears to be the fault of Trump could be something that would move the needle for someone that still supporting him. A lot of people may not understand the Ukraine call, or the Russia investigation, but Trump withholding paychecks due to person vendetta against the impeachment process could make a difference. 

Just spit-balling. 

Users who are viewing this thread