What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ukraine Aid and Whistleblower Timeline (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
This thread is to chronicle all of the events in the Ukraine Aid and Whistleblower saga.  It's my strong preference that this be kept clean from partisan hackery - just the facts, ma'am.  I will update the OP as we go - this is a work in progress. I think it's important to tie context to the events we have all been discussing.

If you would like me to add something to the timeline, please provide a link to justify the date. All events are welcome, especially including anything that paints the president in a good light.

Please do not fold this into the whistleblower thread.  I'd like to keep this around for reference, instead of it getting washed out and buried.

===============================================

• 07/23/18: Congress authorizes $250 million to provide security assistance to Ukraine, of which $50 million would only be available for defensive lethal assistance. link
  • 3/22/19: Parnas and Lutsenko trade text messages about Lutsenko wanting Yovanovitch removed, including Lutsenko mentioning allegations including about B(iden)  link
  • 3/23/19: texts between Parnas and Hyde regarding Yovanovitch - Hyde said he "can't believe Trumo hasn't fired this b---h. I'll get right in that." link
  • 3/23-27/19: Hyde texts Parnas about surveilling Yovanovitch , offering "help if you would like a price" link
  • 04/12/19: phone calls between Lev Parnas, Guliani, and Devin Nunes link
  • 04/21/19: Zelenskyy defeated Poroshenko on platform of ending corruption link
  • 04/24/19: phone calls between Guliani, Lev Parmas, OMB, White House, and "-1" link
  • 04/24/19: Ambassador Yovanovitch recalled link
  • 05/03/19: Trump and Putin talk, discuss "Russian Hoax".  Per Kent, Putin blamed Ukraine. link
  • 05/07/19: Ambassador Yovanovitch  recall publicly announced link
  • 05/09/2019: Guliani travels to Ukraine to push for investigationslink
  • 5/10/2019: Rudy sends letter to Zelensky asking for a meeting.  Rudy explicitly states he s private counsel to President Trump and his meeting request comes with Trumps knowledge and consent. link
  • 05/23/19: DOD certified that Ukraine met anti-corruption requirements to receive the aid.  link
  • 06/13/19: Trump says he would accept foreign election assistance. link
  • 06/18/19: DoD announces to send $250M to Ukraine link
  • 06/19/19: Washington Examiner publishes report of $250M to Ukraine link
  • 06/19/19: Trump discusses Ukraine and DNC server on Hannity link
  • 06/19/19: Sandy said that, on June 19, he heard from OMB's Mike Duffey in an email that Trump had seen a media report of some kind and had questions about the Ukraine security assistance. link
  • 07/03/19: Cooper staff told that OMB blocked aid link
  • 07/12/19: email from Mulvaneys office to Duffy describing presidents direction to withhold aid. link
  • 07/18/19:  Duffey told Sandy that Trump was holding the Ukraine aid. link
  • 07/24/19: aid officially on hold link
  • 07/25/19: Ukrainian Embassy asks what's up with the aid link
  • 07/25/19: Trump/Zelenskyy phone call link
  • 07/26/19: Sondland lunch conversation overheard by Holmes link
  • 07/29/19: DNI Dan Coats resigns. link
  • 07/30/19: OMB placed Duffey in charge of approving apportionments - Sandy removed from process. link
  • 08/01/19 (roughly): whistleblower brings accusation anonymously to CIA general counsel link
  • 08/08/19: phone calls between Guliani, OMB, and White House link
  • 08/09/19: Coats interrupts meeting to urge Sue Gordon to resign.  link
  • 08/10/19: Volker and Zelenskyy aide work out details tor Zelenskyy announce investigations link
  • 08/12/19: whistleblower complaint filed link
  • 08/13/19: Volker texts draft language to be used in investigation announcement link
  • 8/14/19: CIA counsel brings complaint to Justice Department  and White House link
  • 08/15/19: Justice Department brings complaint to Barr link
  • 08/26/19: IG forwarded whistleblower complaint to DNI link
  • 08/29/19: DOD confirms there is a hold link
  • 08/30/19: "Trump told (senator Ron )Johnson that it was being held in part because he wanted to know 'what happened in 2016.' ” link
  • 09/01/19: Bill Taylor: Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations? link
  • 09/01/19: Sondland tells Yermak that “resumption of U.S. aid would likely not occur until Ukraine provided the public anti-corruption statement that we had been discussing for many weeks.”  link
  • 09/03/19: bi-partisan letter sent to Mulvaney urging release of aid link
  • 09/05/19: Washington Post reports Ukrainian aid tied to 2016 election investigations link
  • 09/08/19: Sondland tells Taylor that Trump, as a businessman, naturally wants something in return from Zelenskyy in exchange for U.S. security aid. link
  • before 9/9/2019: email from Duffy explaining rationale was regarding presidents concern about other countries not contributing more to Ukraine. link
  • 09/09/19: House Intelligence committee notified about whistleblower complaint link
  • 09/09/19: Sondland and Trump conversation, where Trump tells Sondland no QPQ link
  • 09/09/19: Gordon Sondland: Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump’s intentions. The President has been crystal clear no quid pro quo’s of any kind.  link
  • 09/10/19: John Bolton resigned link
  • 09/11/19: $391M released to Ukraine link
  • 09/13/19: original  planned date for Zelenskyy to announce investigations on CNN, interview cancelled. link
  • 09/24/19: Trump/Zelenskyy phone call declassified link
  • 09/24/19: Trump/Zelenskyy phone call released link
  • 9/29/19: Yuriy Lutsenko replaced as Prosecutor General.  New prosecutor: Ruslan Riaboshapka. link
  • 9/30/2019: end of 2019 US Government Fiscal year link
  • 10/2/2019: Trump consents to allowing Sekulow to represent Parnas and Furman. link
  • 10/10/2019: Parnas and Furman arrested in airport, traveling to Vienna on one-way tickets. link
============

updates:

• 12/1/2019:   H/T @SaintsInDome2006

8/1, 8/14, 8/15:  whistleblower bring accusations to CIA GC, who brought allegations to Justice Department and White House.
  • 4/21 - 5/09: Zelenskyy election, Trump convo w/ Putin, Guliani's travel
  • 6/13 : Trump to accept foreign assistance
  • 6/19: media report of aid package, Trump talks with Hannity

[*]12/4:

• added Guliani phone calls: 4/12, 4/24, 8/8
  • Yovanovitch  recall dates: 4/24, 5/07

[*]1/15/2020

• added Guliani letter detail, 5/10
  • added Trump allowing Sekulow to represent Parnas & Furman, 10/2
  • added Parnas and Furman arrest dates, 10/10.  I didn't think these guys had anything to do with the timeline previously.
  • added Parnas  texts, 3/19
  • added date of Lutsenko being sacked. - 9/29

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should add both Dan Coats and Sue Gordon resigning on 7/29/19. It may be a coincidence, but the timing does seem a bit suspect in hindsight.

Also, Guiliani's travels and public statements are very interesting in context here.  He was banging the false Ukraine story for a long time ahead of the events above.

Just some typo stuff.  Aide is a person.  Aid is a thing.

You also might want a list of the players referenced in the timeline, e.g. Gordon Sondland, Ambassador to European Union.

If you want to eliminate commentary and only list facts and dates, I would remove the portion about "I.e. Ukraine made aware of QPQ" on 09/01/2019.

Why would this be relevant after everything that the WB was concerned about has been proven true by others?
While I agree that the WB testimony is pointless now that the accusations have been collaborated by others, I still think it’s a good data point to have on the timeline.

Has it ever been documented why the amount of aide changed from the $250M authorized to the $391M that was eventually released?

Mulvaney's public confession is worth an add IMO.
October 17

Link is to the full transcript of the press briefing, which covered a range of topics.  There’s probably a more concise link to use.
I think I'm going to end where I did.  We had a pretty good idea of where this was all headed as of Trump's release of the transcript. IMO Mulvaneys briefing didn't really add anything new, given what we have now after the House hearings.

Also, Guiliani's travels and public statements are very interesting in context here.  He was banging the false Ukraine story for a long time ahead of the events above.
they are.  I'm not even close to putting Guliani's adventures  together.

8/30 mislabeled 9/30- you obviously spent a lot of time on this, thanks for that.
not as much time as you might think.  if you google "whistleblower timeline", you get this link that I basically lifted most items from.  I included their source material where I could, and cited this article where I couldn't.  

I don't want anyone thinking this is 100% original material - this article did most of the heavy lifting.

While I agree that the WB testimony is pointless now that the accusations have been collaborated by others, I still think it’s a good data point to have on the timeline.
I'm happy to add it if you can show me some links verifying dates.

After further review... I like your decision a lot.  IMO the greatest value of maintaining a timeline like this is it brings to light events that weren’t widely known at the time and were revealed out of sequence.  
Thanks for putting it together, and IMO it deserves its own thread outside the daily discussion of the impeachment inquiry that followed.
exactly.  We were spoonfed a lot of info all at once, but all of the info was out of place.   A couple days ago I was trying to make the claim that facts themselves can mean one thing, but taken in context they can mean something completely different.  I'm trying to put everything together and hopefully people can come to conclusions based on context on their own.

Need to add what date whistleblower met with Schiff team
Why would this be relevant after everything that the WB was concerned about has been proven true by others?
The whistleblower did not "meet with Schiff's team," but did contact an aide for the House Intelligence Committee. I would include that in the timeline if it had been part of what prompted Schiff to write Maguire asking why the whistleblower's complaint hadn't been forwarded to the committee -- but it wasn't. Schiff found out about the whistleblower's complaint from IG Atkinson, not from the committee aide.

Here is Wikipedia on the subject of the whistleblower's contact with the House Intelligence Committee aide:

Various right-wing commentators speculated the whistleblower had help from others, perhaps constituting a coordinated conspiracy. Speculation centered around Adam Schiff, the press, Fusion GPS, Media Matters, a team of lawyers or a research firm, and the intelligence community in general.[460][461][462][463] After the whistleblower had informed the CIA's general counsel of his concerns, he grew troubled by "how that initial avenue for airing his allegations through the CIA was unfolding", according to The New York Times. He then contacted an aide for the House Intelligence Committee and provided a vague statement. The aide then followed standard procedure and advised the whistleblower to find a lawyer and file a complaint with the Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG). Neither Rep. Schiff nor the other members of the Committee saw the complaint until the night before they released it publicly, and the Committee was not involved in writing the complaint.[464][465] Schiff and the Committee had no role in helping the whistleblower select an attorney.

According to Mark S. Zaid, a member of the whistleblower's pro bono legal team: "The whistleblower took the advice to find an attorney and did what most people do, they asked around to trusted friends as to who they should contact. Andrew [Bakaj]'s name was provided and he was retained. Exactly how it happens every day."[466] Andrew P. Bakaj is the Lead Attorney representing the whistleblower. During a news conference on October 2, Trump claimed that the New York Times article proved Schiff had helped write the whistleblower complaint,[464] prompting one of the reporters who wrote the story to reply on Twitter that their story said no such thing and that Schiff had not even known the whistleblower's identity.[467]

Maurile Tremblay said:
The whistleblower did not "meet with Schiff's team," but did contact an aide for the House Intelligence Committee. I would include that in the timeline if it had been part of what prompted Schiff to write Maguire asking why the whistleblower's complaint hadn't been forwarded to the committee -- but it wasn't. Schiff found out about the whistleblower's complaint from IG Atkinson, not from the committee aide.

Here is Wikipedia on the subject of the whistleblower's contact with the House Intelligence Committee aide:
Well, if Wikipedia says it it must me true.   :lol:

I like the “end of fiscal year” cutoff.  The timeline focuses on the money, where and when it went (or sat in waiting) and how people responded to it.  
I added that because I've heard the claim that the money was released when it was because fiscal year was coming to an end.  If I believe that or not, it's at least rational and worth including.

ETA: But you are right - at the end of the day, it's about the money.  I don't think a WH visit is worth impeaching over, which means it's all about the money.  

The General said:
Partisan motives diminish some of the conclusions which the WB inserted into his complaint.  As much as many believe there was a QPQ; it is still speculation.  

Partisan motives diminish some of the conclusions which the WB inserted into his complaint.  As much as many believe there was a QPQ; it is still speculation.  
What the WB alerted them to has been verified by multiple people. That they may have asked someone on Schiff’s staff what to do is irrelevant at this point. Pure distraction. QPQ happened, directed by at the absolute very best case for Trump by his personal attorney gone mad. 

What the WB alerted them to has been verified by multiple people. That they may have asked someone on Schiff’s staff what to do is irrelevant at this point. Pure distraction. QPQ happened, directed by at the absolute very best case for Trump by his personal attorney gone mad. 
The so-called whistle blower facts were nothing that many people already knew, that Trump was delaying the aid to Ukraine.  Sondland's ability to read tea leaves falls short of conclusive proof of any QPQ for the Biden investigation.  

The so-called whistle blower facts were nothing that many people already knew, that Trump was delaying the aid to Ukraine.  Sondland's ability to read tea leaves falls short of conclusive proof of any QPQ for the Biden investigation.  
Why do you think Trump was delaying the aid?

“So-called whistleblower”? Unbelievable jon you’re spouting the worst kind of Trump apologist crap. 

Sondland didn’t read any tea leaves; Trump told him to work with Giuliani. Trump told Zelensky to work with Giuliani. Giuliani told both of them that Ukraine had to publicly announce an investigation into the Bidens. Trump asked about that announcement. Zelensky was about to go on CNN and make the announcement when the funds got released right after Trump learned about the whistleblower. 

Come on jon I think you’re smart enough to put two plus two together. Stop repeating whatever nonsense you’re hearing from the pro Trumpers here. You know what happened here. You know it. 

Can you guys please take whistleblower discussion to whistleblower thread? 

Send me a link showing what happened and when and I'll add it.

“So-called whistleblower”? Unbelievable jon you’re spouting the worst kind of Trump apologist crap. 

Sondland didn’t read any tea leaves; Trump told him to work with Giuliani. Trump told Zelensky to work with Giuliani. Giuliani told both of them that Ukraine had to publicly announce an investigation into the Bidens. Trump asked about that announcement. Zelensky was about to go on CNN and make the announcement when the funds got released right after Trump learned about the whistleblower. 

Come on jon I think you’re smart enough to put two plus two together. Stop repeating whatever nonsense you’re hearing from the pro Trumpers here. You know what happened here. You know it. 
Tim please take your weak talking points to the whistleblower thread.  Thanks.

How would I know?  Trump says for concerns about corruption.  To me it is far more disturbing that Hunter Biden is taking money from the Ukrainians and Chinese while his dad is dealing with them.  And I am completely serious.  That should not happen.  
So it's far more disturbing to you that Hunter has a sweet gig because his dad is well known then the president of the United States abusing his power for the sole reason to benefit himself politically?  Which one of these has the most potential to harm our country?  The kid of the VP being on the board of a foreign company or the current president wielding all the power of his office not to help us but to help himself?

A cynic might use other words in your last paragraph.

Maurile Tremblay said:
After the whistleblower had informed the CIA's general counsel of his concerns, he grew troubled by "how that initial avenue for airing his allegations through the CIA was unfolding", according to The New York Times. He then contacted an aide for the House Intelligence Committee and provided a vague statement. The aide then followed standard procedure and advised the whistleblower to find a lawyer and file a complaint with the Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG).
Fwiw I think it's worth noting when the WB went to CIA Counsel and when he went to the IG. Obviously approaching the Schiff staffer would be somewhere in between. So if the main call with Ukraine was 7/25 and the report was 8/12, the progression was:

1. WB goes to CIA counsel. - post 7/25 - eta - Apx. 7/29/19-8/4/19, "The week after the call", the WB filed "a somewhat broad accusation anonymously to the C.I.A.’s general counsel.”
  2. WB talks to HIC staffer and is referred to IC IG. - I think it's worth noting that in order to evaluate the claim the CIA counsel Elwood had to contact Eisenberg to see what was what, even though it was raised anonymously this was a weakness in the course that WBer had taken because it exposed him/her without protections. Apparently, the CIA cousnel was also getting pushback and it appeared the report would be buried. My guess is this is why the WB went to the HIC staffer next for help or protection, as his identity and report had been risked. "While it is not clear how the officer became aware that Ms. Elwood had shared the information, he concluded that the C.I.A. was not taking his allegations seriously. That played a factor in his decision to become a whistle-blower, they said. And about two weeks after first submitting his anonymous accusations, he decided to file a whistle-blower complaint to Mr. Atkinson, a step that offers special legal protections, unlike going to a general counsel." - However long it took for Elwood and Eisenberg to communicate and work over time probably was something like a week, so maybe it was roughly apx. 8/4/19-8/8/19 that the WBer contacted the HIC staff as that would still allow time for preparation of a report to the IG.
  3. WB files report - 8/12
I think maybe something Moleculo could add is when Trump would have learned of the WB complaint. I think that's been established so I will edit to add.

Users who are viewing this thread