What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

University of Idaho college student murders - suspect arrested (1 Viewer)

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
Did a search and didn't see a thread on this crazy story in here yet.

There's been a suspect arrested for the murders of those four University of Idaho students in Moscow, Idaho that occurred about six weeks ago.

Washington State grad student arrested in Idaho murders 9h ago

A 28-year-old graduate student was arrested Friday morning in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains in connection with the November murders of four University of Idaho students, police said, but many details of the case still remain a mystery.
The suspect, Bryan Kohberger, is a graduate student at Washington State University, located less than 10 miles away from the University of Idaho, Moscow Police Chief James Fry said at a Friday news conference.
Law enforcement sources told ABC News that police identified Kohberger as a suspect, at least in part, by using DNA technology, and police then tracked the grad student to Pennsylvania through his car.

Sources said the FBI had been watching the house for several days before a specialized team of state troopers and federal agents moved in around 2 a.m. Friday.
Police did not disclose a motive or what led them to their suspect. The probable cause affidavit, which details the reasons for Kohberger's arrest, is sealed and cannot be released until he returns to Idaho, Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said.

Fry would not say if police are looking for more suspects, but he said, "I do believe our community is safe."

Asked at Friday's news conference if that car has now been found, the chief replied, "We have found an Elantra."

Kohberger received his undergraduate degree from DeSales University in Pennsylvania in 2020 and completed graduate studies at DeSales in June 2022, according to the university.
Washington State University identifies Kohberger as a Ph.D. student in its department of criminal justice and criminology. He completed his first semester in its criminal justice program earlier this month, the university said.

WSU's police department assisted Idaho law enforcement officials in the execution of search warrants Friday morning at the suspect's apartment and office, which are both on the university's campus, the school said in a statement.

"WSU Police are working closely with local, state, and federal law enforcement officials as they continue their investigation," the university said.

Kohberger was arrested on four counts of first-degree murder and burglary, Thompson said.
Kohberger appeared before a judge in Pennsylvania Friday morning and is being held without bond, Thompson said. He's scheduled to return to court in Pennsylvania on Tuesday to begin the extradition process and has been appointed a public defender, Thompson said.

It's been over six weeks since roommates Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen and Xana Kernodle, as well as Kernodle's boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, were all stabbed to death in the girls' off-campus house in the early hours of Nov. 13.

Two other roommates -- who police said are not suspects -- survived and likely slept through the murders, according to officials. The survivors were on the ground floor while the four victims were on the second and third floors.

The murder weapon has not been recovered, the chief said.

Goncalves' family told ABC News on Friday that they don't know Kohberger but are seeing connections between the two that they aren't ready to discuss yet. The family said they are "happy, relieved and thankful" that there's been an arrest.

Chapin's family said in a statement, "We are relieved this chapter is over because it provides a form of closure. However, it doesn't alter the outcome or alleviate the pain. We miss Ethan, and our family is forever changed."

"We marvel at the continued stories about Ethan and the lives he touched in his short 20 years," the family said. "If we all lived and loved as Ethan did, the world would be a better place."
The chief said at the news conference, "No arrest will ever bring back these young students. However, we do believe justice will be found through the criminal process."

Moscow's deputy city supervisor, Tyler Palmer, called the arrest a "tremendous sigh of relief for a community holding its breath for more than six weeks."

Moscow Mayor Arthur Bettge said in a statement Friday that he hopes the arrest can "begin to provide the answers that we have all sought in our attempts to understand this senseless act."
The University had increased its security presence on campus in the wake of the murders. The arrest of a suspect "is the news we have been waiting for and a relief for our community," the university said in a statement.
"It has been a stressful time for our university, but we never lost faith that this case would be solved," the statement continued.
As police investigated, they urged the public to come forward with information.
"We just want this person found so bad," Kaylee Goncalves' mom, Kristi Goncalves, told ABC News earlier this month.
"Where are you? Who are you?" she said.
Sheldon Kernodle, Xana's cousin, urged people to continue to share information. "Our work isn’t done yet," he tweeted on Friday.
On Thursday, Moscow police said they were planning to send a cleaning crew on Friday to the murder scene. That planned cleaning has now been put on hold following a legal request from the court, police said.
ABC News' Luke Barr, Nick Cirone and Christopher Looft contributed to this report.

Hopefully they found the right guy. Given his educational background, this seems particularly strange. No motive explained yet.

More info...
Idaho Murders Suspect Made One Huge Mistake, Expert Says

Justin Rohrlich
Sat, December 31, 2022 at 2:59 PM PST·7 min read

Monroe County Correctional Facility/Reuters
When police on Friday arrested quadruple murder suspect Bryan Christopher Kohberger, his post-graduate-level studies in criminology quickly became a subject of intense focus.
But while one ex-cop and criminology professor who writes textbooks on how to conduct criminal investigations says it’s not inconceivable a student could use that knowledge for the wrong reasons, it’s also exceedingly rare.
“Someone asked, ‘Are you worried about making better criminals?’” Prof. Joseph Giacalone, a retired NYPD detective sergeant who now teaches at New York City’s John Jay College of Criminal Justice, told The Daily Beast. “It’s always a concern, you always have that in the back of your mind. But [Kohberger] is behind bars right now. So, maybe he wasn’t as good a student as everybody thought.”
Investigators believe Kohberger, 28, was responsible for the grisly slayings of University of Idaho undergrads Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, both 21, and Xana Kernodle and her boyfriend Ethan Chapin, who were both 20. The four were stabbed to death in the early morning hours of Nov. 13, as they slept in their off-campus rental home in the small farming community of Moscow, according to authorities. It remains unclear how, or if, Kohberger knew any of the victims.
Steve Goncalves, Goncalves’ father, told ABC News after Kohberger’s arrest that neither he, nor anyone else in the family knew Kohberger. But he noted that after learning the suspect’s identity, they have started to see connections between Kohberger and Goncalves, though they couldn’t discuss them yet.
‘Detached’ Suspect in Idaho Murders Studied Under Famed Criminologist
A lawyer for Kohberger on Saturday said he “is eager to be exonerated” and “looks forward to resolving these matters as soon as possible.”
A first-year Ph.D. student and teaching assistant at Washington State University in Pullman, about 10 miles from the crime scene, Kohberger completed a graduate program in criminal justice earlier this year at DeSales University, a Catholic institution in Center Valley, Pennsylvania. There, he took classes with noted forensic psychologist Katherine Ramsland, who has authored nearly 70 books including such titles as How to Catch a Killer, The Psychology of Death Investigations, and The Mind of a Murderer. (Reached on Friday by The Daily Beast, Ramsland declined to comment on Kohberger’s arrest.)
Giacalone said he could personally recall only one other murder investigation in recent years in which a criminology student turned out to be the prime suspect.
In 2010, John Jay College criminology student Gary McGurk pleaded guilty to manslaughter for tying his girlfriend to a bed and slashing her throat, then bashing her head in with a hammer—but not before wrapping her skull in Saran Wrap “so there would be no blood,” the 24-year-old said in court. The 24-year-old victim Michelle Lee, who had also gone to John Jay, was working as a criminologist for the NYPD at the time of her death.

In May, while still at DeSales, Kohberger put out a call online for ex-offenders to take part in a research project, according to the now-deleted post. He said he wanted to know about people’s “most recent criminal offense,” and, among other things, their “thoughts and feelings throughout [the] experience.” Kohberger also told potential participants he was interested in “how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime,” how they prepared for their crimes, and how a person approached their target before “making your move.”
DNA evidence found at the murder scene was a crucial factor in tracking down Kohberger, who was found holed up at his parents’ home in Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, a law enforcement source told the Associated Press. Detectives fed the genetic material found at the home into a public database, which turned up potential family matches, helping police to zero in on Kohberger, according to a source cited by CNN.
Investigators also mounted a nationwide search for a white Hyundai Elantra spotted near the victims’ house around the time of the murders, and compiled a list of 22,000 possible matches—finally narrowing it down to Kohberger’s vehicle. He had driven it all the way back from the Pacific Northwest to his parents’ place near the Poconos, where cops got a bead on him “ometime right before Christmas,” a separate source told CNN.
“If somebody like this was really a student of criminal justice and criminology, then he would understand certain things like Locard’s Exchange Principle,” Giacalone told The Daily Beast, referring to the time-tested forensic theory that “every contact leaves a trace.”
“It shows you the arrogance of people like him, where he thinks he’s smarter than the cops because he read something in a book,” Giacalone continued. “At the end of the day, experience trumps academics every day of the week and twice on Sunday.”

Numerous questions still hang over the case, which authorities say will begin to be answered once Kohberger is extradited back to Idaho and arraigned in court.
“It will be really interesting to find out, as we go, if he came prepared,” said Giacalone. “Did he wear gloves, a Tyvek suit, what was he doing to not get caught? Was he covering his hair? Did he wear booties over his shoes, knowing that he’s going to be stepping in a lot of blood? Those are behavioral aspects, where [prosecutors] can say, ‘This was well thought-out and planned.”
Police have not yet recovered the murder weapon, which they described as a “fixed-blade knife.” Cops also continue to ask the public for any information they might have about Kohberger, whose former classmates described him to The Daily Beast on Friday as a “very intelligent” amateur boxer who could be “detached” but also “aggressive.”
Kohberger had a job as a part-time school security guard for the Pleasant Valley School District until last year, according to reports.
During his junior year in high school, Kohberger got teased for being overweight, one acquaintance said, recalling that Kohberger showed up the following year “thinner than a rail” and looking for a fight. The former friend, 26-year-old Nick Mcloughlin, said he was at a loss to explain why Kohberger had become, in his words, “100 percent a different person.”
These sorts of details are not only of interest to “true crime” buffs but will also be vitally important to investigators and prosecutors, according to Giacalone, who spent more than 20 years in various positions with the NYPD, including a stint as commanding officer of the Bronx Cold Case Squad.
“I’d want to know what he was like during Thanksgiving weekend, was he sketchy, was he withdrawn, did he spend time in his room?” Giacalone said. “Is he normally outgoing, but he didn’t want to be bothered by anybody when he came home? It’s not necessarily evidence of a crime, but it’s information that helps them support their case.”
Although the families of the Idaho victims say they are heartened by Kohberger’s capture, the case against him “doesn’t end with [the] arrest,” Giacalone emphasized.
“You have to follow this thing through to the prosecution,” he said. “Maybe someone saw him with a knife at some point, maybe family and friends saw a change in him, maybe there was an unexplained injury that now makes more sense. All these things need to be looked into, to make the case better.”
Kohberger is under 24-hour suicide watch in a Pennsylvania jail as he awaits extradition to Idaho. Once Kohberger is back in Idaho, the father of one of his alleged victims hopes to see him in court.
“This guy’s gonna have to look me in my eyes multiple times, and I’m going to be looking for the truth,” Steve Goncalves told ABC News on Friday night. “That’s really what I’m going to be looking for.”

Last edited:
For some bizarre reason, I've been watching this case closely from the beginning. The following all assumes this person is the murderer.

Having read through the questionnaire he used for his "research project," I'm convinced this was just a thrill kill. Nearly everything question ended with asking something like, "describe your feelings and thoughts" at each stage of committing a crime. Sooooooo creepy. He wanted to know what it was like to kill someone and wasn't satisfied with hearing from others about it. There might also have been an element of wanting to put all his learnings into action, but that's sort of a chicken-and-egg question.

Since he's allegedly waiving extradition, he should be back in Idaho soon, at which point presumably the probable cause affidavit will become public. Should be interesting. I don't have an opinion yet as to whether he had any actual contact with any of the victims, though I believe he did target one or more of them specifically.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see if he had any sort of connection to the four students. It seems odd too he would murder them with a knife and then leave other roommates sleeping. Also, based on his knowledge/education, I'm sure he was aware of the mountain of DNA evidence he would have left behind.

For some bizarre reason, I've been watching this case closely from the beginning. The following all assumes this person is the murderer.

Having read through the questionnaire he used for his "research project," I'm convinced this was just a thrill kill. Nearly everything question ended with asking something like, "describe your feelings and thoughts" at each stage of committing a crime. Sooooooo creepy. He wanted to know what it was like to kill someone and wasn't satisfied with hearing from others about it. There might also have been an element of wanting to put all his learnings into action, but that's sort of a chicken-and-egg question.

Since he's waiving extradition, he should be back in Idaho soon, at which point presumably the probable cause affidavit will become public. Should be interesting. I don't have an opinion yet as to whether he had any actual contact with any of the victims, though I believe he did target one or more of them specifically.
He seems like the type that enjoys getting caught and seeing the rest of the process from the inside. Very strange case indeed.

Reports have been released that he was socially awkward, bullied, experienced rejection, had weird interactions with people at bars, and was very intelligent. Maybe a lifetime of frustration was eventually funneled through an interest in criminal psychology and he eventually snapped? So freaking bizarre.

Thanks for this thread. I remember reading about the murders when it happened and thinking it could be a hard one to solve.

I don't want to derail this thread, but it reminded me of an unsolved case from 2017 that recently made an arrest. At the end of October, there was an arrest in the killings of two teen Delphi, Indiana, girls that were walking some historic trails in the area. One of the girls had a grainy video on her phone of the guy telling them to go down the hill. The suspect they arrested is a 50 year old pharmacy technician from Delphi.

I don't want to derail this thread, but it reminded me of an unsolved case from 2017 that recently made an arrest. At the end of October, there was an arrest in the killings of two teen Delphi, Indiana, girls that were walking some historic trails in the area. One of the girls had a grainy video on her phone of the guy telling them to go down the hill. The suspect they arrested is a 50 year old pharmacy technician from Delphi.
Awesome, this was major news in Indy when I lived there before moving in 2020.

I just read about this one, and it's equally crazy. Can't believe they had him place himself at the scene within a day or two of the crime, yet he wasn't looked at then.

I just read about this one, and it's equally crazy. Can't believe they had him place himself at the scene within a day or two of the crime, yet he wasn't looked at then.
He put himself at the area the day they were killed, and within the hours they were killed. The clothes he said he was wearing match the clothes in the video, and what eyewitnesses said a creepy man was wearing that day on the trails. An investigator is saying the interview with him in 2017 was misfiled or mislabeled, and they didn't find the interview again until recently when they decided to start over again from the beginning. It is head scratching why they didn't investigate him more immediately when he placed himself there when they initially interviewed him. I remember seeing press conferences on TV over the years (it always made national news), and the police saying that they felt like the killer was part of the community, and he could be there at the press conference, etc. Well, turns out they interviewed the alleged killer from the get-go, and let him walk out the door. You would think even with the misplaced interview file, he would have set off red flags, and they would remember the interview. I reckon out of sight, out of mind applied there.

Thanks to TikTok, my daughter had been keeping me abreast of this story and TikTok had a suspect pinned. Spoiler alert: it wasn't this guy.
there's a reddit sub dedicated to this case. the brother of one of the victims (verified) has been refuting a bunch of wild theories, speculation and people just positive they're right and he's wrong.

the world is an amazing place

He put himself at the area the day they were killed, and within the hours they were killed. The clothes he said he was wearing match the clothes in the video, and what eyewitnesses said a creepy man was wearing that day on the trails. An investigator is saying the interview with him in 2017 was misfiled or mislabeled, and they didn't find the interview again until recently when they decided to start over again from the beginning. It is head scratching why they didn't investigate him more immediately when he placed himself there when they initially interviewed him. I remember seeing press conferences on TV over the years (it always made national news), and the police saying that they felt like the killer was part of the community, and he could be there at the press conference, etc. Well, turns out they interviewed the alleged killer from the get-go, and let him walk out the door. You would think even with the misplaced interview file, he would have set off red flags, and they would remember the interview. I reckon out of sight, out of mind applied there.

Unbelievable.

Glad they found this guy, will be interesting to hear everything they have on him.

I've been following this pretty close on Reddit, which is not horrible compared to many of the social media platforms dedicated to this case. I'm absolutely disgusted by the behavior of a lot of the American public who felt like they had this case figured out on very limited information. The harassing of people and families associated, pointing to them as the guilty party has got to stop but feel like it will keep getting worse

Also interested in hearing about the tracking of him through genealogy. I'm glad it was used for good here but do feel like there is a slippery slope that we are just starting to scratch the surface of.

And yet another example of why the arrogance of the investigator of the Iowa case saying that “experience trumps academics every day of the week and twice on Sunday” is so dumb. The truth is that investigators often make stupid mistakes and overlook crucial evidence that lets killers remain free.

Detectives have a tough job. Solving murders is way more difficult than police procedurals make it seem. They should be satisfied that it appears they solved the case and have made an arrest, but the arrogance is a little much.

. “At the end of the day, experience trumps academics every day of the week and twice on Sunday.”

💯 Couldn't not agree more. 28 year old career academic and part time security guard 🤷 Guess PhD programs are that desperate for candidates and allowing any incel in nowadays.

They also make the absolute worst professors that get flustered when you try to have a discussion with them about anything outside a textbook.

Reports have been released that he was socially awkward, bullied, experienced rejection, had weird interactions with people at bars, and was very intelligent. Maybe a lifetime of frustration was eventually funneled through an interest in criminal psychology and he eventually snapped? So freaking bizarre.
I’ve gotten more interested in this case when they announced they caught the suspect in PA, not far from where I used to live.

The “weird interactions with people at bars” angle is interesting. I read an interview with the manager of a bar in PA this guy frequented who said he was always making creepy comments about female staff and customers, and stopped coming in after he was asked not to do that again.

I've been following this pretty close on Reddit, which is not horrible compared to many of the social media platforms dedicated to this case. I'm absolutely disgusted by the behavior of a lot of the American public who felt like they had this case figured out on very limited information. The harassing of people and families associated, pointing to them as the guilty party has got to stop but feel like it will keep getting worse
IIRC wasnt this also something when the Boston marathon bombings happened? I could swear that the "internet detectives" had some guy targeted and they really effed up his life for a few days while the actual investigation was going on.

edit: upon quick research, it wasn't the Boston marathon incident, but I do remember something very high profile where the internet cops got ti very wrong and some dudes life got overturned b/c of it.

IIRC wasnt this also something when the Boston marathon bombings happened? I could swear that the "internet detectives" had some guy targeted and they really effed up his life for a few days while the actual investigation was going on.

edit: upon quick research, it wasn't the Boston marathon incident, but I do remember something very high profile where the internet cops got ti very wrong and some dudes life got overturned b/c of it.
You are right, there was a guy name Sunil Tripathi that was accused by sleuths on Reddit of being one of the Boston marathon killers. He was a missing Brown student at the time, and it put his family through hell with all these people writing nasty things on his Facebook page, and the press hounding them. Sunil had nothing to do with the bombings, and he was sadly found dead by suicide.

And yet another example of why the arrogance of the investigator of the Iowa case saying that “experience trumps academics every day of the week and twice on Sunday” is so dumb. The truth is that investigators often make stupid mistakes and overlook crucial evidence that lets killers remain free.

Detectives have a tough job. Solving murders is way more difficult than police procedurals make it seem. They should be satisfied that it appears they solved the case and have made an arrest, but the arrogance is a little much.

Iowa?

So apparently, this guy's dad flew out to drive back with him cross country. For those of us who have driven across this country, I'll state the obvious - that is a LONG drive through mostly rural, rugged, baren landscape. I have to imagine the dad brought up the murders at some point. I mean, I run out of things to talk about with my wife after about 73 miles.

Also, when did they leave? How long was this guy in the area before departure east? When did they put out an alert for his vehicle? Having been to Pullman and Moscow (they are right next to each other) numerous times, a more isolated dot on our map you will not find. The biggest city with a decent sized airport is Spokane and that's a pretty long drive with windy, twisty roads through farmland and nothingness. He couldn't have been hiding out at home very long, but I also don't believe he floored it to PA right after if his dad flew in to drive back with him. Maybe this guy drove up to Spokane to hide, grab his dad and then go?

Lotta questions. The guy waived extradition hearing and is on his way back to Idaho to face the music. Terribly sad and tragic for the families, friends and community. And for what? Why?

Idaho has the death penalty. Hasn't put anybody to death in 10 years. I have a feeling that's about to change.

So apparently, this guy's dad flew out to drive back with him cross country. For those of us who have driven across this country, I'll state the obvious - that is a LONG drive through mostly rural, rugged, baren landscape. I have to imagine the dad brought up the murders at some point. I mean, I run out of things to talk about with my wife after about 73 miles.

Also, when did they leave? How long was this guy in the area before departure east? When did they put out an alert for his vehicle? Having been to Pullman and Moscow (they are right next to each other) numerous times, a more isolated dot on our map you will not find. The biggest city with a decent sized airport is Spokane and that's a pretty long drive with windy, twisty roads through farmland and nothingness. He couldn't have been hiding out at home very long, but I also don't believe he floored it to PA right after if his dad flew in to drive back with him. Maybe this guy drove up to Spokane to hide, grab his dad and then go?

Lotta questions. The guy waived extradition hearing and is on his way back to Idaho to face the music. Terribly sad and tragic for the families, friends and community. And for what? Why?

Idaho has the death penalty. Hasn't put anybody to death in 10 years. I have a feeling that's about to change.

They put out the alert for the white Hyundai Elantra on Dec. 7. Apparently the guy finished up the semester, which for PhD students went through something like Dec. 9. Estimates are that he and dad drove back Dec 14-16 or thereabouts. All this meaning that the guy stayed in town for like a month after the murders, just going about his life!

death penalty requires unanimous jurors at sentencing and all it takes is one to negate, which almost always happens.

death penalty requires unanimous jurors at sentencing and all it takes is one to negate, which almost always happens.

Unsure how familiar you are with rural Idaho...

They want to join with rural Oregon to make their own new state. If that tells you anything...

They want to join with rural Oregon to make their own new state. If that tells you anything...

Oh, I'm aware. Greater Idaho!

He waived extradition and has an Idaho attorney now. Anne Taylor out of Kootenai County, which looks to be about two hours from Latah County where the crimes occurred. Not surprising in that it appears there are no death-penalty certified attorneys in that rural part of the state, and I assume the DP will be in play. Court ruled he has to be returned to Idaho within 10 days (though I don't expect it will take that long).

They put out the alert for the white Hyundai Elantra on Dec. 7. Apparently the guy finished up the semester, which for PhD students went through something like Dec. 9. Estimates are that he and dad drove back Dec 14-16 or thereabouts. All this meaning that the guy stayed in town for like a month after the murders, just going about his life!
Reading now they arrived in PA on DEC 13. Got pulled over twice in Indiana, an hour apart for speeding and tailgating.

Reading now they arrived in PA on DEC 13. Got pulled over twice in Indiana, an hour apart for speeding and tailgating.

Yeah, there's bodycam footage out now from the tailgating stop by Indiana State Police.

Yeah, there's bodycam footage out now from the tailgating stop by Indiana State Police.

Impressive considering not a few hours ago, Indiana State Police had assured everyone no such stops had occurred :lmao:

Impressive considering not a few hours ago, Indiana State Police had assured everyone no such stops had occurred :lmao:

Not the same Indiana that bungled the Delphi murders! Police Chief Wiggums has some splaining to do.

A whole lot of info coming out about this guy from former students and old friends. The story from Daily Mail (I know) about the woman in the jail cell next to his is just bizarre.

Not the same Indiana that bungled the Delphi murders! Police Chief Wiggums has some splaining to do.

A whole lot of info coming out about this guy from former students and old friends. The story from Daily Mail (I know) about the woman in the jail cell next to his is just bizarre.

That story has already been debunked - wasn't him.

The footage is all over the place. Yeah, ISP not too impressive here. Maybe because he wasn't cited?

By the way, the stop was on December 15 just before 11 a.m., so the timeline that his attorney had previously given was correct. He wasn't in PA on the 13th.

He waived extradition and has an Idaho attorney now. Anne Taylor out of Kootenai County, which looks to be about two hours from Latah County where the crimes occurred. Not surprising in that it appears there are no death-penalty certified attorneys in that rural part of the state, and I assume the DP will be in play. Court ruled he has to be returned to Idaho within 10 days (though I don't expect it will take that long).
How does an attorney become death penalty-certified?

Paging @Zow to the white courtesy telephone.

Paging @Zow to the white courtesy telephone.
varies by state. usually something like 5 years experience in criminal trials, a minimum number of homicide trials and a minimum number of criminal appeals, all as lead counsel.

Users who are viewing this thread