What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

I'm just happy they got the real Ronaldo in there.

Though maybe that nickname should be retired.  The other one has kind of made it seem kind of silly at this point I guess.

Going off-topic but France Football released their all-time best XI today. 

cR7.                   Ronaldo.            Messi

Maradona.   Matheus.    Xavi.    Pele

Maldini.  Beckenbauer.    Cafu

Yashin

Xavi was named, hilariously, the best defensive midfielder of all time. 
No Zizou?

Apropos of nothing, before I got my first timeout, my All-Time Soccer judging entry fir Ziziu was going to be an extended “Was he better than Cavi and Iniesta?” Post. Provocative. 

Yashin

French gonna French

Alternatively, I know he doesn't make many of these lists and I'm assuming it's because of longevity, but I'm not sure I've ever seen highlights of a more skilled/"wow" player than Ronaldinho. It's a shame he doesn't get more love among all time greats.

Jaw-dropping stuff
Career lengths and attitudes matter.  Randy Moss was the most gifted WR I’ve ever seen, but I’d never put him over Jerry Rice on an all time list.

Yashin

Wrong thread unless you have Dest, Pulisic, Reyna, and Zardes listed.

Yashin

I love Xavi, and he would get that group purring, but I’d rather have Zidane.

interesting to see Matthaus...the best pure two way box to box guys I’ve ever seen ( he was with Inter when I lived in Milan...could nutMeg a guy with ease one second and then break his leg on a clean tackle the next)

He'd probably be pretty good.  What are gonna sit fat Ronaldo, CR7,  or Messi?
Yes?  I mean, if they want to be clear they don’t care about positions, fine. 

But if you’re going to designate positions and pretend this is an actual formation, then you don’t play four forwards, an attacking mid, a box to box mid and an advanced regista. 

It’s supposed to be hard. Great players are supposed to be left out. 

Yes?  I mean, if they want to be clear they don’t care about positions, fine. 

But if you’re going to designate positions and pretend this is an actual formation, then you don’t play four forwards, an attacking mid, a box to box mid and an advanced regista. 

It’s supposed to be hard. Great players are supposed to be left out. 
So unless you have a US player in the lineup, why is this in the USMNT thread?

Some Yanks in action today, hopefully.

We might see the Pulisic return at 1:00pm as Chelsea play Wolves, where Owen often makes the bench but never gets in.

At 2:30pm, Gio takes on Sargent in Dortmund's first game sans Favre, which is obviously going to be interesting to see how much of a role Gio gets under the interim coach.

Some Yanks in action today, hopefully.

We might see the Pulisic return at 1:00pm as Chelsea play Wolves, where Owen often makes the bench but never gets in.

At 2:30pm, Gio takes on Sargent in Dortmund's first game sans Favre, which is obviously going to be interesting to see how much of a role Gio gets under the interim coach.
Thought Owen looked interesting in his limited minutes for the US. Covers a lot of ground quickly, good anticipation and size, seems to have a good sense of the game even if we didn't really get to see a full range of skills on the ball.

TripItUp said:
I was being fecetious to a degree...I think most would agree they are not as good when he doesn't play.
I can't wait to see Chelsea play a few games with both Pulisic and Ziyech on opposite wings.  Both have been hurt far too often this year.

Pulisic just had an explosive sprint.  the kind that would hurt a bad hamstring and he looks fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulisic just had an explosive sprint.  the kind that would hurt a bad hamstring and he looks fine.
I just had an explosive ####. I’m not exactly sure how I could injure my hamstring from thatI just had an explosive ####. I’m not exactly sure how I could injure my hamstring from that

very good first 20 minutes for Pulisic.  He looks the most effective attacker for Chelsea so far and a ton of offensive play is coming through him.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Desert_Power said:
That would be interesting to read. Zidane is really in that next tier after the typical goat convo for me.
My thesis is that is that no game has been more instrumental to player’s legacy than the 2006 WC quarterfinal against Brazil. 
I was wondering where you went, in the middle of the judging no less.

In terms of his legacy, its bold to put that game above the final.  Isn't there a statue somewhere commemorating the head-butt?

For my personal experience with Zidane, I'd have to consider the 1998 final against Brazil. A massive performance, leading the underdog home team at the Stade de France against Fenomeno and the heavily favored Brazilians.  That was his coming out party at least, but probably the reference point for how I most remember him as a player.

I was wondering where you went, in the middle of the judging no less.

In terms of his legacy, its bold to put that game above the final.  Isn't there a statue somewhere commemorating the head-butt?

For my personal experience with Zidane, I'd have to consider the 1998 final against Brazil. A massive performance, leading the underdog home team at the Stade de France against Fenomeno and the heavily favored Brazilians.  That was his coming out party at least, but probably the reference point for how I most remember him as a player.
I agree the loss of composure in the final outshines it in the public consciousness, but Zidane was absolutely massive in that game vs Brazil in 2006. A one man wrecking crew.

Users who are viewing this thread