What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Sargent has had a few chances today to score, more than usual and he has not been clinical.  Everyone admires all the other stuff he does but at the end of the day a striker has to tuck in his chances.
Exactly.  This is why I'm not convinced Pulisic--Reyna--Morris isn't a better option.  Reyna in the middle isn't ideal either, but we know he can score.

I literally turned the TV on to watch him play and at that exact moment they showed him walking to the sideline and said, "Musah looks like he won't be able to continue."
First time I've gotten to seen him play outside of US jersey. Didn't do much before getting subbed out.

Quiet for Dest as well, and including a bad lost dribble deep in his own third leading to an immediate chance the other way.

Yedlin starts for Newcastle today. 

There is a chance in a couple of weeks where we can say we have had US RB start in the top divisions in England, Portugal, Spain and Italy.....

Wow, check out this stat and read it twice if you need to :)

===============

Alex ✶ ✶ ✶ ✶

@amcalabrese12

In the last 7 days, the United States has had more U23 minutes in Europe’s top 5 leagues (1,315) than Mexico in the last five years (747).

This stat is even more impressive.  Remember when reading this, the Euro countries listed all have a huge natural advantage due to being their own domestic leagues.

According to the person who listed this stat, the US is still 5th when removing Musah's minutes.   How they can be ahead of not only Brazil and Argentina but also Italy (with their built in domestic advantage) is almost mind boggling.

================

ChuckMe92 Soccer

@ChuckMe92Soccer

After today's matches the US has 1,992 minutes by U20s in the Top 5 Leagues of Europe, ranking fifth in the world (behind only France, England, Spain, Germany).

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Reggie Cannon (22) is the only field player to have played every single minute for Boavista this season in the Portuguese top flight. And that is despite being one of the latest players to arrive in pre-season.

OneGoal

@OneGoalUS

Reggie Cannon (22) is the only field player to have played every single minute for Boavista this season in the Portuguese top flight. And that is despite being one of the latest players to arrive in pre-season.
It's crazy, but we may end up having a ridiculous defense.

Cannon, Robinson, Dest, Richards, McKenzie, Brooks, Reynolds, Long, Miazga.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's crazy, but we may end up having a ridiculous defense.

Cannon, Robinson, Dest, McKenzie, Brooks, Reynolds, Long, Miazga.
We're going to have world class outside backs...the center is a potential problem as they frankly currently aren't good enough to play the style the young width depth (backs and wingers) will want to play.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
We're going to have world class outside backs...the center is a potential problem as they frankly currently aren't good enough to play the style the young width depth (backs and wingers) will want to play.  
I think between Richards, Brooks, and McKenzie, we will have 2 very capable CBs. If McKenzie ends up at Union Berlin, that's 3 guys playing for top Bundesliga teams. 

I just want to see Richards start to get more PT, but you still don't get to make the bench for a club like Bayern without talent.

I agree it's our shakiest spot after striker, but I think we will be above average there, at least.

Fabrizio Romano@FabrizioRomano · 32m

Bryan Reynolds is the next USA gem ready to move to European football. AS Roma and Club Brugge have opened talks to sign the 18 y.o. right back - also Juventus will meet his agents. Race on. #transfers @DiMarzio

According to Sky Sports from Italy, Juventus can not sign and roster Reynolds as they don't have any more non EU spots left (I think Weston took the last one).  They are talking about loaning him to Cagliari until the summer (which if he gets immediate playing time would be pretty good).

I just want to see Richards start to get more PT, but you still don't get to make the bench for a club like Bayern without talent.
No matter how many times I discuss this topic, I still don't have a definitive answer.  Richards and Konrad both are in the same situation.  Is it better we to practice every single day with some of the worlds best players and learn from them or is it better to go on loan to a mid/lower table club and play every game?

I think I still lean towards playing time but am never sure.....

No matter how many times I discuss this topic, I still don't have a definitive answer.  Richards and Konrad both are in the same situation.  Is it better we to practice every single day with some of the worlds best players and learn from them or is it better to go on loan to a mid/lower table club and play every game?

I think it's better to get PT as long as it's in a good league. 

But, my point isn't so much that but more that teams like Bayern only have a set number of match day roster spots. You don't get one of those spots on a consistent basis without talent. So, while I wish we could see what Richards is able to do so we could confidently project him on the USMNT, I trust a team like Bayern that they can evaluate what he brings and that it's pretty significant quality. Thus, I don't worry about the quality of our CB when we have a guy like him even though we don't get to see him play much, if at all.

Same with Konrad.

This is kind of new as we've never had guys on those teams, even on the bench.

Winning that game and being justified in talking as much #### as you want has to be pretty gratifying for LAFC.  If they lose it sounds like sour grapes, no matter how obvious Ochoa and CONCACAF were about it.

I think it's better to get PT as long as it's in a good league. 

But, my point isn't so much that but more that teams like Bayern only have a set number of match day roster spots. You don't get one of those spots on a consistent basis without talent. So, while I wish we could see what Richards is able to do so we could confidently project him on the USMNT, I trust a team like Bayern that they can evaluate what he brings and that it's pretty significant quality.

Same with Konrad.

This is kind of new as we've never had guys on those teams, even on the bench.
I also think it's different than some 26 year old getting mop up/Cup minutes for a mid-table Big 5 team.  These guys are ~20 on the way up at massive clubs and still seeing the field in high-leverage league game sometimes.  At least Richards is.

It might depend on position and age.  For strikers, I think scoring real goals is most important.  If you are getting PT but not getting goals, that's not a good sitch.  If you can get a loan and score some goals, that's the best situation.  Otherwise, training hard and getting a cup match on a top-tier team might be better.

For midfielders, I think getting the training at a top club is more important (up until age 22 or so, then it's time to force a move to get PT). 

For denfenders, I think getting PT is the biggest benefit.  Reading the game at speed, reacting to situations, playing for realz against players that are better than you and can beat you in innumerable ways.  That will season you and harden you.

For young goalies, waiting in the wings isn't so bad really.  A goalie's career is long and they need to develop the mental maturity to be put under pressure and be able to direct their defense well.  That takes time and that can be worked on in the training ground.

That's why I think it's complicated.  For Konrad, being at Barcelona and getting no PT is probably fine.  For Richards, I think getting regular PT would be best.

Paratici is the director of Juventus

==========

JuveFC

@juvefcdotcom

Paratici isn’t only looking at Bryan Reynolds, but Julian Araujo, Caden Clark and FC Dallas striker Ricardo Pepi are also being monitored. @tuttosport

I did not see him play but it looks like Owen got his first ever EPL start today for Wolves.  He went 60 minutes.  I have not read how he played.  Did anyone get to see him play?

I can't believe we have so many young players playing in big leagues that I can't even keep up any more...

Wtf was Werner doing? Offside so CP can't get him the ball and not even paying attention or doing anything to get back on. 
He was occupying 2 defenders. Virtually any move he had was going to drag guys into either Mount or CP’s space.  He was stuck there with how CP brought the ball inside (with 3 guys on him!!). 

All of that produced the chance that made Tammy so wide open for the cleanup goal. 

Not Pulisic's best game by a long shot but his standards are so high that even a meh performance is a good shift.  He went 83 minutes today and looked spry coming off so I don't think he is hurt.

Chelsea played a form of 4-1-3-2

Pulisic played on both sides of the 3 with a large majority in the right.

I thought Werner had another poor game today.  I can't wait for Hakim to get healthy so that Pulisic can go back on the left full time.

well at least they are not setting high expectations or anything.....yikes

===========

[Fabrizio Romano] "He can become the new [Trent] Alexander-Arnold..." @FabrizioRomano chats to @lmechegaray about Bryan Reynolds and what sporting directors in Italy are saying about the young FC Dallas star as a move to Europe beckons. L

It was not that long ago that a coach announcing an American was coming to his team would have been received about as well as a fart in church

=========

Jesse Marsch on Brenden Aaronson “We are losing Szobo [Szoboszlai] but we are getting an American, he’s a fantastic player.” [Weltfussball]

Users who are viewing this thread