What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (19 Viewers)

Damn are we close to stacked at RB (at least relative to our normal depth).  I don't even rate Yedlin that much and the guy has over a 100 games in the EPL...

The most stacked any position I could remember was Friedel, Keller and Meola all playing at the same time together at keeper.  There is a chance RB could surpass this if Reynolds hits.

Sounds like Reynolds just gave word that he is going to Juventus! (see the end update)

======================

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, Bryan Reynolds has agreed to personnel contract terms with Juventus. The deal includes a 6-month loan to a yet to be determined team.

In addition, Juventus has also reached an agreement in principle with FC Dallas for the Reynolds transfer that is expected to land between 6 to 8 million euros depending on incentives and other factors still being ironed out.

While the deal was approaching the finish line, there was a last-minute problem on Tuesday that almost derailed the negotiations when the 6-month loan to Cagliari hit a snag. At this time, a specific playing location for Reynolds for the next six months is still being worked out.

*Update* – An exclusive to 3rdDegree, Reyonlds commented on the deal: “I’m excited, it will be a challenge and I’m up to it. I have a lot to learn but I accept the challenge. Juventus is a once in a lifetime club, you have to be brave and accept the challenge.”

Yeah, this is pretty insane. The kid was on loan at North Texas FC less than 2 years ago. He has less than 30 MLS appearances and I'm guessing that many of the hardcore USMNT fans had no idea who he even was when Cannon got sold.

And now he's being sold to freaking Juventus.

Have to imagine we're going to see more and more of these early flyer type purchases now that so many younger Americans are walking right into big time teams and playing right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is today's edition of no one in MLS can play in Europe

===============

Sources tell me #Nantes of Ligue 1 are interested in Cole Bassett. Hearing they’re lining up a bid for him in the summer. Rapids want 7-8 million but Nantes are offering in the 4-5 million range. Definitely worth watching over the couple months.

oh thank god.  Lets hope this is the first steps to getting put of the dumbest contract US Soccer has ever devised

===================

[Steve Voght] The Equalizer is reporting two notable #NWSL news nuggets — first, USWNT players can now opt out of federation contracts and sign directly with clubs and be paid via allocation money; and second, the pool of allocation money is going to rise to $400k per team in 2021

I guess this signing happened a year ago so it was probably covered here, but Joseph Scally is set to join Borussia Mönchengladbach

“#Rose: "@jjscally_10 is due to arrive on Monday. He will undergo all the necessary medical examinations and then he will have the chance to showcase himself in first-team training."

I keep forgetting about Joe Scally when thinking of the kids moving to Europe.  He turns 18 tomorrow and will officially join Gladbach.

I guess this signing happened a year ago so it was probably covered here, but Joseph Scally is set to join Borussia Mönchengladbach

“#Rose: "@jjscally_10 is due to arrive on Monday. He will undergo all the necessary medical examinations and then he will have the chance to showcase himself in first-team training."
Yeah. But to be fair, Andy's post happened many hours ago. 

I noticed that AC Milan is the last unbeaten team in the top 5 leagues.

It made me think about Antonee Robinson.  Given how well he has played in the EPL, if the kid had just a small amount of good luck, he would likely be on that Milan team and getting minutes.

Compilation of 10 best goals by USMNTers in 2020.

I forgot just how good Gio's first ever goal was.
That was fun!

I don't agree with the rankings fully though.

The Adams goal was ginormous but it was likely not going in with out the deflection.

I thought the most underrated was Weston's at #9.  Watch that one again and look at his control and turn in traffic as he first receives the ball (it only can be seen on the replay)

I loved Gio's first goal of his career, as well as that amazing settle with one foot, delicate flick with the other in full stride.

Article about next gen of u20 and u17 potential starters
This is probably what I'm most interested in right now.  If the next wave of young Americans can duplicate what we've seen in the last 3-4 years we are finally going to make the jump IMO.

Will be something crazy when a really good, Big-4 starter-type player is finally left out of a US squad because we're already two deep there.

This is probably what I'm most interested in right now.  If the next wave of young Americans can duplicate what we've seen in the last 3-4 years we are finally going to make the jump IMO.
Agreed, this will help us lean towards whether this is a golden generation or the start of something sustainable.

I am really bummed about no U17 or U20 WC's.

Will be something crazy when a really good, Big-4 starter-type player is finally left out of a US squad because we're already two deep there.
Is this big 4 team or big 4 league?  If league, this has already happened in the past with Morales and a couple of others and may be in place right now with Yedlin.

That was fun!

I don't agree with the rankings fully though.

The Adams goal was ginormous but it was likely not going in with out the deflection.

I thought the most underrated was Weston's at #9.  Watch that one again and look at his control and turn in traffic as he first receives the ball (it only can be seen on the replay)

I loved Gio's first goal of his career, as well as that amazing settle with one foot, delicate flick with the other in full stride.
Totally agree about swag's goal on #9. That turn is sooo silky...maybe my favorite moment in the whole compilation.

Could argue Gio's 3 are the top, along with Swag's. CPs were all nice, but a touch below in *wow* factor for me. Fun to remember that sub performance vs Liverpool where he just took over (and see Kloppers reaction). Also fun/sad to remember that FA cup final where he was doing the same until the hammy.

Agreed, this will help us lean towards whether this is a golden generation or the start of something sustainable.

Whoever wrote that has some big assumptions about all of these kids going to Europe early. 

Is that preferred at this point? I'm kind of up in the air about it...I'd like for them to see regular minutes in good competition but I'd also like to see MLS improve (rising tide etc).

Whoever wrote that has some big assumptions about all of these kids going to Europe early. 

Is that preferred at this point? I'm kind of up in the air about it...I'd like for them to see regular minutes in good competition but I'd also like to see MLS improve (rising tide etc).
Seems pretty clear that our best players can make it in Europe and make a #### ton more money than they can at home.  So for me it's a good barometer of how good you are.  Very few are going to go the Donovan route now if they have options IMO.

I have said it before but it bears repeating.

There is no preferred path, which is good.  We want to have the most paths possible available for players.

Be it going over before 18 with a passport, or leaving at 18 when finishing an academy or playing a few years in MLS and then jumping.

The more paths the better!

By the way, this unfortunately reads like the term "golden generation" is a death sentence.

Even if it comes to pass that this is a one time blip, and we go back to normal level quality players, this golden generation will give us ten+ years of really good soccer to watch.

Ederson has tested positive for Covid.

That likely means Steffen will be playing while he is quarantined.
Given the way GK training works, I would think all the gks would have been exposed...?

Eta... :doh: worked. Pre-covid. Easiest position to work independently and socially distanced with adjustments to their typical method.

This Yedlin resurrection is pretty amazing.  I don't know if it is a dead cat bounce or not but great for the player since this burst of quality play should give him more options when his contract ends this year.

================

Steve Bruce on DeAndre Yedlin "I've been absolutely delighted with [Yedlin]. He's come in from the cold due to the problems Manquillo & Krafth had.  He's grasped the opportunity. If you train well & work hard then an opportunity will come your way."

You too!!

Side note - I was not keeping up, but what is the latest with Floppinho's school search for next year?
It's a mess in NYC with mayor and schools chancellor using the pandemic to push their political agenda to eliminate screened schools (which have become increasingly segregated over the years). I wish they would try to fix the screens in the schools that are working great outside of the segregation, and not just eliminate them. Or make the rest of the schools better...but I know it's much more complex than that.

"Normally" floppinho would be in great shape to go to any of the city's best public schools via test scores, grades and attendance (or any other criteria specific schools might use). But now it appears they will all be a lottery (other than the 8 state controlled elite schools that only use a test for entry). So I'm not sure what that ultimately mean for schools for previously high performing kids

This info has only just started to come out over the last week or so, so we had him apply to several private schools when we were completely in the dark about public schools. We'd need a ton of financial aid for any of those to work if he were to get in. As the kid of a non-celebrity or hedge fund guy, his chances are slim- in spite of his sterling CV. We find out about those on Feb 26.

He's a great kid and deserves better. I know he'll do well no matter where he ends up...just sucks that hes put the effort in, working towards goals that had been set only to have the goal posts moved or eliminated entirely.

Dortmund v Wolfburg at 9:30

Chelsea v City at 11:30

Barca v Huesca at 3:00

I hope Dest is still starting. And I think they're playing against a team from a Studs and Duds post.

Brooks looks so good back there (so far). It's like the game is moving in slow motion for him- totally calm, composed and skilled.

• Love
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread