What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

WC 2026 can't get here fast enough to cover all the lawyer bills

==================

Jeff Carlisle
@JeffreyCarlisle

For FY '24 the #USSF is projecting a budget deficit of $9.5m on revenue of $172.6m.
I worry this is why we don't have a GM or coach at the moment.....we're pinching pennies and purposefully dragging our feet to save money during a "down" time.

But also this is '24 and one would assume it includes a GM and coach. So I wonder what they put in for wages.

I thought the weakest part of our roster this window is midfield depth. I think Johnny and Sonora are questionable call ups and Aaronson is in poor form and not really an 8 (although maybe we play 4231). But it's hard to argue with these as there aren't obvious snubs or anything.

But Chairez posted his U20 4-deep midfielders and it's insane how deep we are at that level.

DM: Pukstas, Edelman, Vargas, Buck
CM - B2B: Alvarado, O. Wolff, Buck, Cremaschi
CM - free: Aaronson, McGlynn, Tsakiris, Luna

You can argue rankings and he uses Buck at 2 spots, but there are guys that are MLS starters right now that won't make the roster (he projects only 6 mids).

WC 2026 can't get here fast enough to cover all the lawyer bills

==================

Jeff Carlisle
@JeffreyCarlisle

For FY '24 the #USSF is projecting a budget deficit of $9.5m on revenue of $172.6m.
I worry this is why we don't have a GM or coach at the moment.....we're pinching pennies and purposefully dragging our feet to save money during a "down" time.

But also this is '24 and one would assume it includes a GM and coach. So I wonder what they put in for wages.
I have a feeling they may not hire a gm this time around. I get the feeling they did not get value from McBride

I don't always feel this way about him for the USMNT, but for Chelsea Pulisic always seems to be in the right spot and/or doing the right things. I've been a tad distracted but as far as I can tell he's been really solid so far today.

Obed Vargas made the bench for the Sounders today. I guess that is to be expected since he was called up to the U20s but if he plays, it will be his first minutes since June 18th of last year.

OK lets have a look at relegation in England with respect to Leeds

===========================================

There are 9 teams in danger.

* Leeds has a better GD than 7 of the teams and is tied with the 8th. Given how tight things are, GD may come into play

* One of the other 8 teams have played less games than Leeds. 3 of the 9 have played more games than Leeds.

* Leeds has 7 points from their last 4 games which is the best form of the 9 from the previous 4 games

* The run out for Leeds is a mixed bag. There are some certain losses on there schedule, but they also have critical games against Bournemouth, Crystal Palace, Leicester, and West Ham. All 4 of those teams are among the 9 teams in danger of dropping.

I still think it may come down to the last day for Leeds, in which they host Spurs. Whether Spurs have anything to play for at that time is unknown right now.

Cindy Cone again works for free. This is so antiquated :(

=================================================

[Paul Kennedy] Vote to pay US Soccer president (an unpaid position) a salary again fails.

Received 58.1% in 2022, 62.9% in 2023.

Needed 66.7% of vote to approve by-law amendment.

At some point we have to start talking about Marlon Fossey. He's a 24 year old right back that has been at Fulham but could never break through (like LDT) and moved to Standard Liege this past summer. He's really playing well at Standard and even scored today.

Problem - he's a right back. And I'm a strong proponent of getting Reynolds in camp and Scally really has never been given a chance. So how do you work Fossey in? I hope he at least gets a chance at the Gold Cup rather than recycling guys like Moore or Yedlin.

At some point we have to start talking about Marlon Fossey. He's a 24 year old right back that has been at Fulham but could never break through (like LDT) and moved to Standard Liege this past summer. He's really playing well at Standard and even scored today.

Problem - he's a right back. And I'm a strong proponent of getting Reynolds in camp and Scally really has never been given a chance. So how do you work Fossey in? I hope he at least gets a chance at the Gold Cup rather than recycling guys like Moore or Yedlin.

I agree about Yedlin/Moore. We are early in the cycle so IMO, vets like Yedlin and Moore should only be used in emergency or in cases where no Euro players can be called (and even then I hope others if viable can be blooded).

One of the reasons I hate waiting so long for a new coach is there are so few chances to look at players. Who Hudson rosters and wants to play may be quite a bit different than whom ever the full time coach will be (unless it is GGG again then the handoff from Hudson back to GGG should be straight forward).

It would be nice to see a few different formations tried out, that may be a way to get some new faces into camp as we sometimes have square peg, round hole issues with such a strict adherence to a single formation.

It would be nice to see a few different formations tried out, that may be a way to get some new faces into camp as we sometimes have square peg, round hole issues with such a strict adherence to a single formation.
I think we might see that without Adams or Acosta (who just came up holding his hamstring). At least I hope we do.

I feel like Varas has done more with that by really tailoring the U20 gameplan around who is actually in the game rather than be rigid with it. But he also won't move away from 433 even though I think it's a poor fit for our U20 roster.

I'll be curious if/when we get a new technical director if that evolves because I'm pretty sure that was Stewart's mandate. I like the concept to build cohesiveness, but I'm not sure it's the best fit for us at any level. I'd rather a set of principles be pushed rather than a strict formation.

I agree about Yedlin/Moore. We are early in the cycle so IMO, vets like Yedlin and Moore should only be used in emergency or in cases where no Euro players can be called (and even then I hope others if viable can be blooded).
Agreed. And for the record, I'm not even saying Fossey is better or worse than Yedlin or Moore. My guess is he is of a similar level but I'd rather see that than just guess.

Last edited:
And now Caleb with an even better assist for AUFC’s 3rd goal. I’m at the game or I’d search for some links.
Beautiful! I also just love the entire play. We so rarely see a double switch of field like that. It is so pretty. And fantastic first touch from Wiley

Atlanta’s attack is humming at the moment. Free flowing and dynamic. With Alamada and Araujo you have two guys that can make something out of nothing. Love the Giakou signing so far - he’s making dangerous runs and dragging defenders around the pitch to make space for the two above. And Wiley is linking up with these guys so well - he looks dynamic. They will score a ton of goals at least until Almada is sold. And with Miles back and looking solid they aren’t shipping goals like last year.

With Alamada and Araujo you have two guys that can make something out of nothing. They will score a ton of goals at least until Almada is sold.

I have to assume Almada may go this summer if he keeps this pace up. He could break the transfer record that we talked about a couple of weeks ago with this start

============================

Jonathan Sigal

@JonathanSigal

Thiago Almada has more goal contributions than 27 other MLS teams have scored in 2023.

And now Caleb with an even better assist for AUFC’s 3rd goal. I’m at the game or I’d search for some links.
Beautiful! I also just love the entire play. We so rarely see a double switch of field like that. It is so pretty. And fantastic first touch from Wiley

Atlanta’s attack is humming at the moment. Free flowing and dynamic. With Alamada and Araujo you have two guys that can make something out of nothing. Love the Giakou signing so far - he’s making dangerous runs and dragging defenders around the pitch to make space for the two above. And Wiley is linking up with these guys so well - he looks dynamic. They will score a ton of goals at least until Almada is sold. And with Miles back and looking solid they aren’t shipping goals like last year.
From what I've seen, they should be right with LAFC (and maybe Seattle and Philly) for the Shield.

I guess this is the new path to get to Europe earlier. The more paths the better should be the take away although it does concern me that players are starting to see MLS as taking too long to get them to Europe.

In any event, a 16 year old getting USL minutes is fine with me.

----------------------------

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

Sources: US youth int'l CM Nathan Worth is signing with USL club Tulsa. Worth, 16, a standout for New York Red Bulls academy. Made 7 apps with RBNY II. RBNY tried to sign him to a homegrown deal, but Worth inks a 2-year deal with Tulsa to leave for Europe after turning his 18.

I guess this is the new path to get to Europe earlier. I love it. The more paths the better!

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

Sources: US youth int'l CM Nathan Worth is signing with USL club Tulsa. Worth, 16, a standout for New York Red Bulls academy. Made 7 apps with RBNY II. RBNY tried to sign him to a homegrown deal, but Worth inks a 2-year deal with Tulsa to leave for Europe after turning his 18.
Another that has taken that path is 06 winger Fidel Barajas who left the San Jose academy to sign with Charleston Battery and in a recent interview he flat said it was so he could go to Europe as fast as possible. And 06 Andre Gitau in Houston just bailed. I'm not sure what he's doing as I don't think he's inked with anyone.

Not sure how I feel about this as it seems they would be better in MLS academies (assumption: MLS academies are of higher quality) until they move. My guess is there is some reticence on the part of clubs to invest in a kid that just wants to leave. Dallas has loaned a few guys in those circumstances but even they have lost Gomez and Corcoran (2006 CM) to USL recently. I guess this is just part of the ecosystem now.

From what I've seen, they should be right with LAFC (and maybe Seattle and Philly) for the Shield.
:coffee:

Paxten Aaronson made his Bundesliga debut today getting in for the last 10 minutes of Frankfort's 0-2 loss to Union Berlin. I'm not positive where he played but he replaced Mario Gotze who was lined up as one of their dual 10s.

According to FotMob he has 7 minutes and 5 touches. Was 4 for 4 passing. But he didn't play long enough to get a rating.

Timo Weah is out of the USMNT camp (concussion protocol) and Djordje Mahailovic has been called in to replace him
I guess that replacement means Aaronson may play wing I guess.....
if we play 433, I'm not even sure where Mahailovic fits. That's part of the other discussion with 433 leaving some guys as misfit toys. You thinking he's an 8 I guess?
He is a partial 8. He has the offensive skills but not on the other side of the ball.

I agree that GGG's weakness on making in game decisions.

I agree with Wales and Morris. Terrible decision (although we learned later there were extenuating circumstances). I would argue rostering Morris was the wrong decision to begin with, that should have been Nips.

I could not disagree more about England. We played one of the best teams in the world on equal footing and I think it is incorrect to say they did not care. That was the second game of the group stage, there was nothing decided at that point and they played what Southgate felt was their best lineup. Southgate may be an even less quality coach than GGG though to be fair.

Out of curiosity, which US players do you think are top professionals right now in a good league? Outside of Ream, I can't think of even one.

Gio is a sub. Pulisic is a sub. Turner is a sub. Dest barely gets to dress. MMA are all looking to be relegated. Aaronson is completely out of his depth. Weah has been moved to LB due to being in effective up front. Jedi is a solid pro, but I don't think anyone would ever consider him a world class player. It is not pretty and no one IMO should confuse our current base of players as having the make up of a top 10 team in the world internationally.
Pulisic, McKinnie and Adams are all in bad situations and deserve better. Gio has room to grow. Jedi is solid and can get better. Ream won't or shouldn't be counted for the next cycle.
That's 5 to build around.
I just found out yesterday about Weah, when he was stretchered off.
Can't really argue about the rest, like I said, you watch more of them than I do.
And no, they are not a top 10 team, I would be hard pressed to even say top 20.

As for the England game, I say they didn't care because they played slow and looked very disinterested. They knew the US wasn't going to bother them.
The US did not press Maguire and let them sit on the ball. The way England played the other two matches, this one wasn't at the same speed or intensity.
That's just my opinion and what I saw.

And yes, Southgate and GGG are similar, Southgate just has better players to cover up his ineptitude.

I guess this is the new path to get to Europe earlier. The more paths the better should be the take away although it does concern me that players are starting to see MLS as taking too long to get them to Europe.

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

As a parent of a 16 year old I have to wonder how much of this is arrogant soccer parent of what I am sure is a very good player not looking at the big picture. Ok he's not tied to Red Bulls so he can for sure bolt to Europe when he is 18. He literally just turned 16, he's an 07, is he assured of getting that move in 2 years? Still a lot of development and growth over the next two years and one would think Red Bulls would be better at that then a USL club in the middle of the country that plays in a minor league baseball park. I'm not familiar with the Red Bulls but I assume much like the Union their Academy kids go to a private school they run which almost assures if the pro soccer side doesn't work out they will get into a very good college both academically and soccer wise. I doubt Tulsa FC is offering that, more likely the kid is home schooling whatever off hours he has and banking on that European paycheck to come through in a couple years.

I've talked to so many parents whose visions are as unrealistic as a 12 year old. And maybe I'm just too conservative but if you gave me a choice for my kid of playing for an MLS academy on a team with ties to European teams under its umbrella and a school where worse, worse case the kid is likely to get into a good big time college and play there and the drawback is maybe it takes him playing in the MLS his age 19 year before he gets moved to Europe versus playing on a USL side with tutors and hoping they can develop him enough that someone from Europe comes calling a year earlier I'm taking the MLS academy route 100% of the time.

England

@England

An update to Lee Carsley's #YoungLions squad as Nathan Wood is called up, while Folarin Balogun and Jarrad Branthwaite withdraw through injury

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

I'm not familiar with the Red Bulls but I assume much like the Union their Academy kids go to a private school they run which almost assures if the pro soccer side doesn't work out they will get into a very good college both academically and soccer wise.
I agree with most of your post, but don't think this is the case. The brother of one of my daughter's teammates played on the Red Bulls U17 team and I'm 99% certain he went to our local high school in Central NJ (ended up at a really good academic college with D3 soccer).

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

I'm not familiar with the Red Bulls but I assume much like the Union their Academy kids go to a private school they run which almost assures if the pro soccer side doesn't work out they will get into a very good college both academically and soccer wise.
I agree with most of your post, but don't think this is the case. The brother of one of my daughter's teammates played on the Red Bulls U17 team and I'm 99% certain he went to our local high school in Central NJ (ended up at a really good academic college with D3 soccer).

Yes, I agree, I am sure not every academy kid gets an automatic scholarship but the percentages are pretty high since the college heavily scout all academies.

More specific to this post though, this kid appears to be not just an academy player though. He is a youth international and has some time for Red Bull 2 already at his age. He would be a slam dunk scholarship player if he stayed and did not advance to the first team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread