What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (11 Viewers)

Jonathan Gomez has the look of a player who could legit be the backup LB we have been looking for. I hope he can improve his club situation soon.

Finishes 3-0, US advance to round of 16 with a game to go in the group stage. Can win group with win against Slovakia but need to wait for Slovakia vs Ecuador to see the exact needs (might only need a draw).

I'd really like to win this game because the group winner faces a 3rd place team in the first knockout round.
since US advanced today and now have a shot to win the group I wanted to take a look at the possibilities.

If the US wins the group, they play 3rd place team from A/C/D

3rd place teams from A and C look relatively weak but it would suck to get group D's 3rd place team here as you are going to get one of Italy/Brazil/Nigeria (although it is worth noting that the Dominican Republic gave Nigeria a good game in the first game where the US beat them by 6 in the qualifying final).

Watched the last 30mins... Saw the goals. They were clearly dominant with some nice build up play that varied from long diagonals, to channels, to tiki taka. Cowell should have had at least a hat trick... Unlucky off both the post and bar.

But Cowells goal was really well taken, after a simple by feed from Luna in the box... Dropped his shoulder to unseat his defender and then hammered a bending screamer to just nip the far post.

Jonathan Gomez has the look of a player who could legit be the backup LB we have been looking for. I hope he can improve his club situation soon.
My take on him is that he looks great against weaker opposition but gets out-muscled by grown men. You see him play well and it gets you excited but I do think he's one of those guys that doesn't really break out til 23-24 just due to physical stature.

He does need a loan though and I think he'd have been much better off sticking it out at FC Dallas.

Finishes 3-0, US advance to round of 16 with a game to go in the group stage. Can win group with win against Slovakia but need to wait for Slovakia vs Ecuador to see the exact needs (might only need a draw).
Ecuador beats Slovakia so yep, draw gets us through in 1st. Interestingly, a loss and we likely are 3rd since I'm going to go ahead and assume Ecuador smashes Fiji.

Didn't get to watch the game today but caught some highlights and watched the 11 yanks/Tac man recap.

Will be interested to see how this group looks once the reinforcements show up for the knockout round. No CP/Gio level ceiling raisers here, but some interesting guys with potential to crack the big team.

Gaga obviously has a high ceiling as a goalie.
Both Gomez and Wiley could be backup full back options in the next 2-3 years
Obviously he COULD still improve, but it does seem like Cowell's ceiling might just be a rich man's Morris. The question is does that sort of player make our team 3 years from now? Not so sure.
Luna continues to do stuff that not many players in our pool can do. Weird body and a play style that we generally dont see out of Americans, so I wonder if he ever gets a real chance.
Vargas showing a lot of poise for a young kid playing as a 6. Will be interesting to follow.

TBD on most of the center backs. Too early to judge Wydner, Che or Craig.

I'm not super high on Sullivan or McGlynn. Nothing special, IMO. Not gonna judge Taskiris as I know he's a little banged up. Hopefully Paredes (who I like) and Pukstas make an impact next week when they get there.

USMNT Only
@usmntonly

AC Milan are reportedly looking for a new striker, for the present and future, and Folarin Balogun is top of the list for Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara, and Arsenal are ready to listen to offers.
Honestly would be a dream landing spot. Would get to learn from Giroud, who's one of the most intelligent strikers out there IMO. Plus there were rumors that Milan was looking at Pulisic. If CP and Balogun played club ball together it would go a long way towards establishing true chemistry up front for 2026.

Plus, if he tears it up in Serie A, then he'd be going to the EPL for $100M in 3 years like all the other big young strikers rumored to move this summer.

Didn't get to watch the game today but caught some highlights and watched the 11 yanks/Tac man recap.

Will be interested to see how this group looks once the reinforcements show up for the knockout round. No CP/Gio level ceiling raisers here, but some interesting guys with potential to crack the big team.

Gaga obviously has a high ceiling as a goalie.
Both Gomez and Wiley could be backup full back options in the next 2-3 years
Obviously he COULD still improve, but it does seem like Cowell's ceiling might just be a rich man's Morris. The question is does that sort of player make our team 3 years from now? Not so sure.
Luna continues to do stuff that not many players in our pool can do. Weird body and a play style that we generally dont see out of Americans, so I wonder if he ever gets a real chance.
Vargas showing a lot of poise for a young kid playing as a 6. Will be interesting to follow.

TBD on most of the center backs. Too early to judge Wydner, Che or Craig.

I'm not super high on Sullivan or McGlynn. Nothing special, IMO. Not gonna judge Taskiris as I know he's a little banged up. Hopefully Paredes (who I like) and Pukstas make an impact next week when they get there.
Gaga had to make a save in 2nd half injury time to keep the clean sheet after 30 mins of nothing... I recall thinking uh-oh as it developed, but made it look routine and held the ball on a well taken strike. Otherwise in those 30 mins that I watched, was calm in limited possession with his feet (was pressed once that I remember and cooly played the right ball) and distributed well.

I loved Luna through qualifiers. As you said- has that creativity and go for **** attitude you want our attacking guys to have. Super clean on the ball, and yesterday played a lot more easy and useful passes than I remember. I'm just not sure how he fits positionally- kind 9f a MF F tweener... And its starting to feel like we have enough of those. But I still love what he does on and off the ball offensively. The offense sang when he was involved.

Cade... First off, it seemed impossible to improve upon - but that stache :wub: . He always seems like a top youth player to me... In all the good and bad ways. Unconventional and sloppy a fair bit, but super filthy and dominant as well. He plays like an amazing 18yo playing up... except he's not. Love his confidence to attack and he's shown repeatedly he's got that 2nd US goal he scored yesterday in his bag of tricks. Hoping he keeps ironing out the poor decision making- he has a nice ceiling.

Sullivan reminds me of daddy Josh Wolff. Quality dude who can score, but a bit one dimensional with what he tries and sees never feels next level. Ill admit my viewing of him is limited, but I don't see him being more than an MLS only US call up. Hope I'm wrong.

This guy.... :lmao:

==================
The Upshot
@UpshotTowers

After 8 months living in England, West Brom's American striker Daryl Dike discovered he'd been washing his clothes with dishwasher soap.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwzfOtBWcAURqzF?format=jpg&name=small
Good thing he went to England, can you imagine if he went somewhere that doesn't speak his native language(s)? I feel like I need more background on this mistake. I have a soft spot for Dike as he's from my area and I've known of him for a while.

Sullivan reminds me of daddy Josh Wolff. Quality dude who can score, but a bit one dimensional with what he tries and sees never feels next level. Ill admit my viewing of him is limited, but I don't see him being more than an MLS only US call up. Hope I'm wrong.

I am with you on Quinn. I don't see any where near enough talent to make a big effect at the senior side. Granted he is only 19 and could develop plenty more but the guys who tend to develop later are those that did not have a great development path. Quinn has been in the strong Philly system since he was 13 years old.

I expect he will have a decent pro career though as he does not have the air of "bust" any where around him.

I was thinking the other day about how long we have labored under the influence of needing a #9 while also being very happy about the talent level of our wide players as being a strength of the team.

And yet, in this club season particularly, that seems to maybe have flipped.

Aaronson, Weah and Pulisic all had VERY rough seasons offensively and on the opposite side we had 3 legit #9's who were producing in Sargent, Balogun and Pepi.

It would be nice if the stars would align for once and every one be on form at the same time.

Cade... First off, it seemed impossible to improve upon - but that stache :wub: . He always seems like a top youth player to me... In all the good and bad ways. Unconventional and sloppy a fair bit, but super filthy and dominant as well. He plays like an amazing 18yo playing up... except he's not. Love his confidence to attack and he's shown repeatedly he's got that 2nd US goal he scored yesterday in his bag of tricks. Hoping he keeps ironing out the poor decision making- he has a nice ceiling.
One thing to note is that you saw BY FAR the best of Cade in the period you watched for that game. I watched a decent amount of the game and up until he scored I was wondering if he should have been subbed off as he was largely ineffective against what may have been the worst team in the U20 World Cup. I was happy to see him come alive though in the last 3rd of the game.

I was thinking the other day about how long we have labored under the influence of needing a #9 while also being very happy about the talent level of our wide players as being a strength of the team.

And yet, in this club season particularly, that seems to maybe have flipped.

Aaronson, Weah and Pulisic all had VERY rough seasons offensively and on the opposite side we had 3 legit #9's who were producing in Sargent, Balogun and Pepi.

It would be nice if the stars would align for once and every one be on form at the same time.
IMO club form has nothing to do with country form. Sargent's club form has never translated to much on the country side and Pulisic emerges from the club dog house and dominates for team USA.

Congrats to Mix Diskerud - went 58 minutes for Omonia Nicosia today in a 1-0 win over AEL to take home the Cypress Cup. 85th minute game winner by Karim Ansarifard.

Brian Sciaretta@BrianSciaretta

The U-20 World Cup always has interesting stories. Such as Daniel Bameyi who is starting for Nigeria against Italy right now
- Bameyi was listed on the roster submitted to FIFA as playing with Yum Yum FC.
- Now there are reports that no such club exists

Pukstas is starting in the Croatian Cup final today.

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to Americans Rokas Pukstas and Agustin Anello for wining the Croatian Cup with a 2-0 win over Sibenik. - Pukstas went the distance. Anello, 20, entered the game in the 80th minute. - Pukstas will now head to Argentina to join the U.S. U-20 World Cup team
18 year old Rokas Pukstas won a trophy, his club team qualified for Europe, and he's been a nailed on starter for them since the world cup.

He replaced Stipe Biuk after LAFC bought Biuk for $6.5m. Biuk had 1 goal and 2 assists for Split in about the same minutes Pukstas played on the season (Pukstas had 4+3). Pukstas has also played DM, RB, and central mid whereas Biuk was almost exclusively a LM/AM. Biuk is also 2 years older.

Pukstas played more minutes than any other 2004 or younger player in the league (exceeding the next highest by 700+ minutes) and almost has more minutes than every other 2004 in the league combined. He has the most goals, the most assists, and outside a guy that has played 180 minutes, the most G+A/90 among youth players. And no one has ever thought of him as a playmaker (he's a hyper aggressive duel winner).

He's been ignored because we don't see him, but this week we're going to get that chance.

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to Americans Rokas Pukstas and Agustin Anello for wining the Croatian Cup with a 2-0 win over Sibenik. - Pukstas went the distance. Anello, 20, entered the game in the 80th minute. - Pukstas will now head to Argentina to join the U.S. U-20 World Cup team
18 year old Rokas Pukstas won a trophy, his club team qualified for Europe, and he's been a nailed on starter for them since the world cup.

He replaced Stipe Biuk after LAFC bought Biuk for $6.5m. Biuk had 1 goal and 2 assists for Split in about the same minutes Pukstas played on the season (Pukstas had 4+3). Pukstas has also played DM, RB, and central mid whereas Biuk was almost exclusively a LM/AM. Biuk is also 2 years older.

Pukstas played more minutes than any other 2004 or younger player in the league (exceeding the next highest by 700+ minutes) and almost has more minutes than every other 2004 in the league combined. He has the most goals, the most assists, and outside a guy that has played 180 minutes, the most G+A/90 among youth players. And no one has ever thought of him as a playmaker (he's a hyper aggressive duel winner).

He's been ignored because we don't see him, but this week we're going to get that chance.
Some Pukstas

Brian Sciaretta@BrianSciaretta

The U-20 World Cup always has interesting stories. Such as Daniel Bameyi who is starting for Nigeria against Italy right now
- Bameyi was listed on the roster submitted to FIFA as playing with Yum Yum FC.
- Now there are reports that no such club exists

And they beat Italy today and he went 90 minutes and supposedly played well. Just wait until the scouts try to contact his team :lmao:

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

Some Pukstas
hmmmm and he drew a penalty in the Croatian Cup final to seal the deal.

:thumbup:

====================
Meg Swanick

@Meg_Swanick

Jim Curtin tells media just now he thinks the Eredivisie would be a great league for Jack McGlynn (but hopes McGlynn stays in Philly til Dec): "Holland would be a great league for Jack because it is so technical, on passing and offensive"

Curtin also noted that his phone has been blowing up with people asking about McGlynn in this U20 World Cup.

For Leeds to stay up:

1) Leeds must win

2) LC has to do no better than a draw

3) Everton must lose or if Everton draw, Leeds must win by 3.

Pulisic did nothing wrong here imo. De Gea should be embarrassed a player of Pulisic's height out jumped him.

Sure if a forearm to the jaw and clattering into a keeper is "nothing". :boxing:

And yes I hate that they call fouls for touching a keeper, but this was a foul. They would call that in the middle of the park with a keeper not involved.
Oh and also De Gea should go up stronger on that, but he's never been known for that.

Pulisic did nothing wrong here imo. De Gea should be embarrassed a player of Pulisic's height out jumped him.

It was definitely a foul because Pulisic catches him with the arm, but seriously... having the nerve to be offended? Is Chelsea NOT gonna challenge for that ball? He should be embarrassed that a 5'7" guy got his head to the ball before 6'4" De Gea could grab it with his arms. Good lord did he ever get outlept.(kinda forgot how athletic Christian is, but he's got some hops)

Sure if a forearm to the jaw and clattering into a keeper is "nothing". :boxing:

I disagree with this.

Pulisic got to the spot first, he was well above De Gea, who reacted extremely late. It was De Gea's late jump that lifted his body/face into Pulisic's arm which was already in place. The person who is first to the spot can not be expected to be able to react to where the person, who is second to the spot, will end up.

Had De Gea been first to the spot (or even simultaneously), then it was 100% a foul but he wasn't even close to being first.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I disagree with this.

Pulisic got to the spot first, he was well above De Gea, who reacted extremely late. It was De Gea's late jump that lifted his body/face into Pulisic's arm which was already in place. The person who is first to the spot can not be expected to be able to react to where the person, who is second to the spot, will end up.

Had De Gea been first to the spot (or even simultaneously), then it was 100% a foul but he wasn't even close to being first.
Not sure how you can say this when DDG was standing there waiting for the ball and CP comes flying in. DDG goes straight up, CP goes into DDG.

Don't get me wrong, DDG needs to be stronger going up and I have no issue with CP challenging for that ball, but it's a foul.

Good lord did he ever get outlept.(kinda forgot how athletic Christian is, but he's got some hops)
And he didn't climb on De Gea either to help his leap, he simply was so much faster to his jump and better timed to meet the peak of the ball.

Look at this outrageous pic, this is where De Gea is jumping up into Pulisic's arm as Pulisic is already at the peak of his leap.

You could work for VAR using the still shot like this. CP throws his arm across DDG right before this picture.

Pulisic got to the spot first,

Had De Gea been first to the spot
Not sure how you can say this when DDG was standing there waiting for the ball and CP comes flying in.
First let me clearly acknowledge that I don't know how the rule is written so I am talking only as a dumb fan :)

Here is what I think:

DDG standing there gives him the right to the space he is standing on only. It does not give him the right to the space above him while he is standing still. There is no question in my mind Pulisic is first to the space above DDG. Every angle shows this to be true.

In fact, I don't think there would be barely any contact between the two players unless DDG jumped up into Pulisic's arm (which is what my eyes show happened when I slow the video down frame by frame).

I will also acknowledge that Pulisic's arm being out wide is possibly a foul but his arm did not contact DDG when DDG was on the ground (standing waiting). The arm and neck only come into contact after DDG jumps, extremely late, for the ball.

Tim Ream interview with CBS Sports Golazo

Talks about: his recovery, playing for Fulham in the US this summer, the Pep compliment, St Louis City, peaking late in his career, his experience with the Nats and other topics. It is a good listen

Not sure how you can say this when DDG was standing there waiting for the ball and CP comes flying in.
First let me clearly acknowledge that I don't know how the rule is written so I am talking only as a dumb fan :)

Here is what I think:

DDG standing there gives him the right to the space he is standing on only. It does not give him the right to the space above him while he is standing still. There is no question in my mind Pulisic is first to the space above DDG. Every angle shows this to be true.

In fact, I don't think there would be barely any contact between the two players unless DDG jumped up into Pulisic's arm (which is what my eyes show happened when I slow the video down frame by frame).

I will also acknowledge that Pulisic's arm being out wide is possibly a foul but his arm did not contact DDG when DDG was on the ground (standing waiting). The arm and neck only come into contact after DDG jumps, extremely late, for the ball.
:goodposting:

But I would say go and watch any punt or long ball and who gets called for a foul when someone goes over the player standing his ground or jumping straight up. The player coming in at an angle always gets called for the foul. Especially when the arm comes across like that.

Then add that one of the players in this case is a keeper. They almost always protect the keeper (so much so that they would call a foul on CP if he was standing and DDG went over him to punch the ball, which is asinine).

I will say again that I hate how protected keepers are. But in this case I would call the foul.

I would also say again that I have no issue with CP challenging for that ball and DDG definitely needs to be stronger going up. He should have handled that easily and made this all moot.
DDG and CP pushing and jawing at each other is fine too. Lindelof protecting his keeper and settling everything down? Heck yeah.

I disagree with this.

Not sure how you can say this when DDG was standing there waiting for the ball and CP comes flying in. DDG goes straight up, CP goes into DDG.

Don't get me wrong, DDG needs to be stronger going up and I have no issue with CP challenging for that ball, but it's a foul.

Even if it's a foul it's still not worth him getting all whiney over. Pulisic was clearly trying to make a play on the ball, not doing anything unitdy.

I'm guessing De Gea was mad that he made a hard play on the ball in a 4-0 game. But 4-0 doesn't mean guys have to stop trying.

Here is what I think:

I thought it was like real estate, unless you severed the mineral and air rights you are entitled to the ground above and below you.

You and me both brother :lmao:

Just judging based on my experience both as a fan watching games and play in.

And they way ref's call the games and the inconsistencies from ref to ref I am not sure any of us really know anymore....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread