What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

Even if it's a foul it's still not worth him getting all whiney over.
I may be mistaken but I think DDG was more upset when Pulisic landed on his back full force after the play than he was about the aerial challenge. You could see DDG reaching for his back after he pushes Pulisic. Had Pulisic not landed on his back that hard, I bet there may have been no handbags thrown.

And let me take a second to make myself feel awful in noting that this may be the most we have talked about Pulisic's on field exploits all season... :(

I can't wait for him to get a fresh start some where, what a nightmare this has been...

===========

Sources: Leeds United fear Tyler Adams will quit as Man United swoop​

Leeds United fear they have no chance of keeping hold of Tyler Adams if they are relegated, sources have told Football Insider.

The USA central midfielder, 24, has made a big impression for United after joining from RB Leipzig last summer for a fee worth up to £20million including add-ons.

His absence over the last two months with a hamstring injury has coincided with a wretched Leeds run that leaves them in the drop zone going into the final match of the season.

Sources have said Adams is wanted by multiple clubs in the Premier League and in top European leagues, and Leeds are unlikely to keep hold of him if they go down.

He is one of the few United players capable of securing a £35million-plus fee, cash which will be needed if they don’t have the Premier League broadcasting cash next season.

Man United are among the teams keeping tabs on Adams, whose dynamism and energy in midfield has impressed their recruitment team.

The midfielder’s current contract at Elland Road runs until 2027 following his arrival last summer.

He has made 24 Premier League starts among 26 appearances for Leeds this season, amounting to 2293 minutes of action.

His tackles and interception stats were among the best in the Premier League in the first half of the campaign.

Adams also travelled to the Qatar World Cup with his national side and captained the USA as they progressed to the round of 16.

He played 90 minutes in each of the USA’s World Cup matches before they were eliminated from the competition by the Netherlands.

===========
Sources: Leeds United fear Tyler Adams will quit as Man United swoop

Leeds United fear they have no chance of keeping hold of Tyler Adams if they are relegated, sources have told Football Insider.
The USA central midfielder, 24, has made a big impression for United after joining from RB Leipzig last summer for a fee worth up to £20million including add-ons.
His absence over the last two months with a hamstring injury has coincided with a wretched Leeds run that leaves them in the drop zone going into the final match of the season.
Sources have said Adams is wanted by multiple clubs in the Premier League and in top European leagues, and Leeds are unlikely to keep hold of him if they go down.
He is one of the few United players capable of securing a £35million-plus fee, cash which will be needed if they don’t have the Premier League broadcasting cash next season.
Man United are among the teams keeping tabs on Adams, whose dynamism and energy in midfield has impressed their recruitment team.
The midfielder’s current contract at Elland Road runs until 2027 following his arrival last summer.
He has made 24 Premier League starts among 26 appearances for Leeds this season, amounting to 2293 minutes of action.
His tackles and interception stats were among the best in the Premier League in the first half of the campaign.
Adams also travelled to the Qatar World Cup with his national side and captained the USA as they progressed to the round of 16.
He played 90 minutes in each of the USA’s World Cup matches before they were eliminated from the competition by the Netherlands.
I've actually been talking to some about this. I am not sure he fits at United. IMO he doesn't pass forward enough and his line breaking isn't there. He isn't the dynamic passer that is needed at top clubs, especially when teams pack it in. I do like his work rate and his defensive side a lot though. He also brings something that McFred doesn't and may be an upgrade as a pure holding MF.

Can he learn and improve his vision/passing? He is young and learning from Casemiro might be good for him. I also am not sure how much he will play if he moves to United. At least not right away.

===========

I've actually been talking to some about this. I am not sure he fits at United. IMO he doesn't pass forward enough and his line breaking isn't there. He isn't the dynamic passer that is needed at top clubs, especially when teams pack it in. I do like his work rate and his defensive side a lot though. He also brings something that McFred doesn't and may be an upgrade as a pure holding MF.

Can he learn and improve his vision/passing? He is young and learning from Casemiro might be good for him. I also am not sure how much he will play if he moves to United. At least not right away.

Progressive passing is the worst part of his game (he is not terrible at it but it is far from a strength). I too worry that he would rarely play at a top club in the EPL. I hope he lands more mid table some where.

===========

Progressive passing is the worst part of his game (he is not terrible at it but it is far from a strength). I too worry that he would rarely play at a top club in the EPL. I hope he lands more mid table some where.
I wouldn't mind if he moves into teams like West Ham or even Brighton as replacements for Rice or Caicedo who may move to top clubs.

We haven't talk about Brandon Craig much. He is a pretty unique player. As a CB he takes all the right footed US set pieces including corner kicks.

Last edited:
a CB he takes all the right footed US set pieces
I've always loved these CBs. Lubos Kubik from the early days of MLS comes to mind.

ETA: 16 goals and 24 assists in 82 MLS games. Right around one goal involvement every two games. Such a classy player.

Just looked him up. Never realized he was on the 1990 Czech WC team, or the 1996 Czech Euro team. 7 appearances in those two competitions, with the Czechs making the Euro Final in 1996. Has to be one of the best MLS players of all-time, right?

Last edited:
US wins group. 9 points, no goals allowed.

Only slight downside is the US was on the front foot for so much of these three games, they really should have scored more goals.

Now we wait to see who they get in first knockout round game.

Just looked him up. Never realized he was on the 1990 Czech WC team, or the 1996 Czech Euro team. 7 appearances in those two competitions, with the Czechs making the Euro Final in 1996. Has to be one of the best MLS players of all-time, right?
Do you mean at time of playing in MLS or at his peak as a player during the early to mid 90's?

If it is at his peak, he has plenty of competition:

Valderamma, Pirlo, Lampard, Gerrard, Stoichkov, Zlatan, Higuain, Henry, Schweinsteiger, Mattheus, Villa, Drogba, Kaka, Rooney and probably quite a few I am forgetting all could have an argument to have been better players at their peak.

Only slight downside is the US was on the front foot for so much of these three games, they really should have scored more goals.

This was the first U20 World Cup where the US won all 3 group stage games.

And let me take a second to make myself feel awful in noting that this may be the most we have talked about Pulisic's on field exploits all season... :(

I can't wait for him to get a fresh start some where, what a nightmare this has been...
I am encouraged that Pulisic still has that kinda fight in him though. It would've been real easy for him to not give a **** after the past season, but challenging for a high ball, knowing you'll get hit, in a 4-0 game and then being ready to fight the entire team for giving him **** for it... I like it.

Hoping he'll ball out during the summer and get a manager who's in love with his game and ready to take him to the next level come August.

No question our attack is the weak link. The positive is we're missing 3 of our best attacking players in this age group (Pepi, Paredes, Aaronson) but it's still frustrating that our next tier is just not there.

We lack true goal scorers beyond that at this level. I think Wiley or Sullivan or Yapi can but they just aren't there now. The good thing is that those 3 guys are all 2004s so they are playing up.

That's kind of a crazy stat. We definitely got a manageable group but it wasn't a total walk.

I think it speaks to how we've evolved. Our weak links in this roster are guys that are talented professionals but just not playing regular just yet (Fekranus, Yapi, Luna, Craig). In the past we had non-professionals sprinkled in that were starters. We may not be super high on these guys because we expect every player to be CP/Gio level at 18, this is easily - even without a few key players - the deepest roster we've ever fielded at this level.

That's kind of a crazy stat. We definitely got a manageable group but it wasn't a total walk.

I think it speaks to how we've evolved. Our weak links in this roster are guys that are talented professionals but just not playing regular just yet (Fekranus, Yapi, Luna, Craig). In the past we had non-professionals sprinkled in that were starters. We may not be super high on these guys because we expect every player to be CP/Gio level at 18, this is easily - even without a few key players - the deepest roster we've ever fielded at this level.

I have watched I think every US U20 World Cup. I think I can safely say while this may not be our best overall team, that it is our best passing team at this level.

Every player can play well on the ball and a couple seem to have an elite ability. There have been some multiple one touch sequences rarely seen in any level of US soccer.

I think I read today McGlynn leads the entire U20 WC in line breaking passes, as one example of things that are trending in a very nice direction.

I have watched I think every US U20 World Cup. I think I can safely say while this may not be our best overall team, that it is our best passing team at this level.

Every player can play well on the ball and a couple seem to have an elite ability. There have been some multiple one touch sequences rarely seen in any level of US soccer.

I think I read today McGlynn leads the entire U20 WC in line breaking passes, as one example of things that are trending in a very nice direction.
I did get to watch the Ecuador game in its entirety but unfortunately the last two games have been limited to bits and pieces on my phone. However, it's clear we are dictating games in ways we just haven't at any level.

But as great as the midfield has played, I can name multiple guys that are age-eligible at the position that aren't even there (Gutierrez, Alvarez, Caden Clark, Buck, Cremaschi, and even Pukstas isn't yet). Our midfield cup floweth.

But as great as the midfield has played, I can name multiple guys that are age-eligible at the position that aren't even there (Gutierrez, Alvarez, Caden Clark, Buck, Cremaschi, and even Pukstas isn't yet). Our midfield cup floweth.

The passing/field vision/touch improvement has to be 100% be due to the academies and kids getting in professional environments really young and having a much larger pool to choose from as kids fail out and are replaced with others.

The passing/field vision/touch improvement has to be 100% be due to the academies and kids getting in professional environments really young and having a much larger pool to choose from as kids fail out and are replaced with others.
Absolutely.

Along with that, it's these clubs and academies teaching similar philosophies that translate beyond the singular team they are on. It's no longer which team has the most physical kids that they can just boot it long and let their best players score and win games that way.

I also think having so much soccer available to watch makes a difference. These kids are growing up being able to REGULARLY watch top teams and players when that didn't used to be the case.

Dortmund once again stumbling and unable to walk through the door. Maybe Gio gets a longer run today though in the second half as they need something down 2-0

Dortmund once again stumbling and unable to walk through the door. Maybe Gio gets a longer run today though in the second half as they need something down 2-0
Wow - looks like Reyna assisted on both goals as they came back to tie it.
first one was a clean assist but I don't think he will be credited with the second, I guess it depends on how they score it. It was just a deflection at best and not a pass.

Gio was active and involved his entire time in there though. Going to be yet another rough off season for Dortmund....chances like these come around so infrequently in the Bundesliga.

first one was a clean assist but I don't think he will be credited with the second, I guess it depends on how they score it. It was just a deflection at best and not a pass.

Gio was active and involved his entire time in their though. Going to be yet another rough off season for Dortmund....chances like these come around so infrequently in the Bundesliga.
Looks like Twitter is evenly divided between folks who think Dortmund would have won the Bundesliga if he started, and people who think they'd be better off playing down a man than letting him on the field. Not a whole lot in between those extremes.

Gio was active and involved his entire time in their though. Going to be yet another rough off season for Dortmund....chances like these come around so infrequently in the Bundesliga.
Looks like Twitter is evenly divided between folks who think Dortmund would have won the Bundesliga if he started, and people who think they'd be better off playing down a man than letting him on the field. Not a whole lot in between those extremes.
I'm not sure if they win but the idea he was like playing a man down is just dopey.

The two assists maybe flatter him, but in 27 minutes, he was 16/18 passing, created 4 chances (most in match), 2/3 dribbles, and was 5/7 on duels. Extrapolating that out would be a statline that would make Kevin de Bruyne envious. He doesn't always show out, but he definitely played well today and not that many Dortmund players can say that.

He also had a decent header he almost snuck in, and a really nice run where he beat 3 guys in the box but the guy on the other end of the pass couldn't finish.

CBS Sports Golazo
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo
@CBSSportsGolazo

USMNT GK Ethan Horvath had a monster season for Luton Town

50 appearances
20 clean sheets
37 league goals conceded (T-2 best in Championship)
Promoted to EPL
Who starts this summer? Gotta think Horvath is in the conversation right now with having had such a great club season while Turner spent most of the time riding pine.

I think Turner is our guy without question. He's been really good when he played for the US, and it's not like he's playing poorly at his club, he's just not getting PT which we knew he wouldn't when he signed with a top team.

CBS Sports Golazo
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo
@CBSSportsGolazo

USMNT GK Ethan Horvath had a monster season for Luton Town

50 appearances
20 clean sheets
37 league goals conceded (T-2 best in Championship)
Promoted to EPL
Who starts this summer? Gotta think Horvath is in the conversation right now with having had such a great club season while Turner spent most of the time riding pine.

I think Turner is our guy without question. He's been really good when he played for the US, and it's not like he's playing poorly at his club, he's just not getting PT which we knew he wouldn't when he signed with a top team.

Our top 3 keepers continue to be Turner, Horvath and Steffen (at least until Gaga gets a few more years under his belt).

Another question to pair with @encaitar question is whether we take all 3 to the same tournament or will they be split up so that our top 2 keepers will get to play this summer (one in nations league and one in gold cup).

We already know they intend to bring two different rosters to the tournaments although I do not know which group goes where (I think the "A" squad will play in the Nations League again but that is just a guess)

Maloney is a dual nat CB who has played for the US U20's. He is 23

===========================

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to Lennard Maloney & Heidenheim for winning promotion to the Bundesliga after a dramatic 3-2 win over Jahn Regensburg. Maloney started and played 55 minutes. Heidenheim found both a stoppage time equalizer and winner to secure 2nd place in the 2.Bundesliga

Users who are viewing this thread