What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USA Shootings (2 Viewers)

I don't think I'm on board with teachers carrying guns at schools, but I'd absolutely be ok with non-lethal weapons like stun guns being locked up in specially trained teacher's desks or in the office.

The entire reason for The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was so gun manufacturers aren't held accountable for their actions like manufacturers of all other products are.
manufacturers are liable for defects and malfunctions - not for people using the items wrongly

There's a lot of blame to go around, but unlike you I would never blame the school.
but you'd blame me, the gun owner, 1,000 miles away that has no connection to Florida or that school .....  yeah, that makes sense

Not wanting schools to be like a prisons is a very accurate description of my position. Feel free to post that about me as much as possible. 
I will - because doing nothing to increase school safety is a big flashing sign saying " SHOOT HERE NEXT, SHOOTERS WILL NOT FACE RESISTANCE"

Being a victim has never worked for me and blaming people for their choices always has

and he doesn't want to improve safety in schools at all because it would make them "prisons"
Not wanting schools to be like a prisons is a very accurate description of my position. Feel free to post that about me as much as possible. 
I have a daughter.   Her school now has locked entrances and active shooter drills several times a year.  I find it ####ed up that my kid and others need to practice not getting gunned down at school every couple of months because our "leaders" are afraid of actually initiating laws to help prevent this ####. 

How do you feel about the fact that if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma you may to be entitled to financial compensation?
had nothing to do with what I asked but I'll play

Mesothelioma  ......... if you took paint cans and inhaled the fumes and got it that way? Your damn fault, not the pain manufacturer.

If you smoked cig's for 30 years and ignored that label that says CAUSES CANCER .......... your own fault there too

I don't think I'm on board with teachers carrying guns at schools, but I'd absolutely be ok with non-lethal weapons like stun guns being locked up in specially trained teacher's desks or in the office.
How's a stun gun going to help against an AR-15?   

I have a daughter.   Her school now has locked entrances and active shooter drills several times a year.  I find it ####ed up that my kid and others need to practice not getting gunned down at school every couple of months because our "leaders" are afraid of actually initiating laws to help prevent this ####. 
I'm curious - do you think NO places in the United States should be protected with firearms?

If you took your daughter to the Olympics in south Korea, would you feel the same way with all the security there? Do you feel like that in a pro-football stadium? At a Federal building or any place that has security fencing, badge scanners, armed security etc?

Remember as little as 35 years ago I went to school with guns in the rack of my truck and we NEVER had a problem

Guns have NOT changed, people have, and we've gotten better and better with crime and fighting it and that's despite more guns sold and more concealed weapons licenses issued.

you think a stun gun locked in a desk stops an active shooter ?

have you ever shot guns ?

Please everyone, make sure you understand Politician Spock doesn't want anyone held to personal accountability for their actions
Do you genuinely believe this is significantly different than supporting an organization who does everything it possibly can to keep manufacturers and individuals from being held accountable for their actions? 

Do you genuinely believe this is significantly different than supporting an organization who does everything it possibly can to keep manufacturers and individuals from being held accountable for their actions? 
manufacturers shoudln't be liable for people using their items wrong - that's just a fact

the NRA ... are you saying they do't want individuals held accountable ?

I read CNN article a while ago, said they were working desperately to try and save Cruz's life because he's had it so hard and mental issues etc. Really? he's the victim now?

its appalling to me that train of thought - his choice, he chose, he needs the death penalty next week IMO

Tasers are good to about 30 ft.  I don't think I'd trust anyone with a hand gun at a much great distance.

the NRA ... are you saying they do't want individuals held accountable ?
As I thought....you just blindly write your check.  You've been asking the positions of the NRA a LOT in this thread.  I don't even know how that's possible.  It's completely irresponsible IMO.

its appalling to me that train of thought - his choice, he chose, he needs the death penalty next week IMO
manufacturers shoudln't be liable for people using their items wrong - that's just a fact

You asked before, why I thought you had a problem with the laws, how they work and how our judicial system works.  Remember?  It's crap like this that leads me to that conclusion.

ETA:  And it seems pretty clear that this guy used the weapon for exactly what it was designed for.  17 dead people seems to suggest he used it pretty well and it worked pretty well :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
We understand your opinion on this, but your country, which you've stated often that you love so much, disagrees with your opinion. Manufactures get sued and lose when the plaintiff shows the misuse was reasonably foreseeable misuse. 

you think a stun gun locked in a desk stops an active shooter ?

have you ever shot guns ?
Sorry, I thought we were looking for solutions.

Many people carry an unpowered .380 for self defense based on its ability to be concealed.  They are more comfortable be underpowered than having no weapon at all.  I can probably make a very strong argument that a taser is a better self defense weapon than the .380 and at least give someone a chance of stopping a shooter.

Several or maybe most of these shooters didn’t own the guns used. 

Also, there are many people who possess unregistered/illegally owned guns. So, we’ll have to go door to door, regardless of whether the household legally owners a gun, to see if anyone there is crazy, and whether any guns are in the Home, legal or not. 

You up for that?
Yup, up for it. I addressed that part in fact. If they lie about owning a gun, and the agents come in and find one, boom, arrested.

That and sarcasm meters. It'll be terrific.

While I don't know the real middle ground, the onus shouldn't be on the kids themselves, obviously.

Is it even misuse when the device is literally designed to kill things?
All suits of this kind are treated on a case by case basis, so it's not black and white. But in that set of circumstances, the defendant is pretty much screwed. Which is why the NRA got the law passed. 

:lmao:

I didn't realize lying is a crime.   Also, I'm no expert on the background checks required to purchase a gun, but if they are like any other background check that I've been subject to it goes beyond a questionnaire.  If it's just a series of yes/no questions and he correctly filled out the bubbles to walk away with an assault rifle then we have a major problem with our background checks, but unfortunately you and your fellow terrorists oppose stronger background checks.  
Is this right? The background check is just a questionnaire? What happens with the questionnaire?

What do the gun goons think of this?  https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9217163/america-guns-europe

"A New Yorker is just as likely to be robbed as a Londoner, for instance, but the New Yorker is 54 times more likely to be killed in the process."

"A series of specific comparisons of the death rates from property crime and assault in New York City and London show how enormous differences in death risk can be explained even while general patterns are similar," they explain. "A preference for crimes of personal force and the willingness and ability to use guns in robbery make similar levels of property crime fifty-four times as deadly in New York City as in London."

Several or maybe most of these shooters didn’t own the guns used. 

Also, there are many people who possess unregistered/illegally owned guns. So, we’ll have to go door to door, regardless of whether the household legally owners a gun, to see if anyone there is crazy, and whether any guns are in the Home, legal or not. 

You up for that?
It's illegal for any state or federal agency to keep a registry of guns tied to the owner.  Everyone's gun is unregistered in the broader sense.

If you're in Sacramento (as your registration info in the forum suggests), are you okay with the rules California has being made federal?  The version of "registration" you guys have there?

It's illegal for any state or federal agency to keep a registry of guns tied to the owner.  Everyone's gun is unregistered in the broader sense.

If you're in Sacramento (as your registration info in the forum suggests), are you okay with the rules California has being made federal?  The version of "registration" you guys have there?
I appreciate the question. Unfortunately, I am not currently aware of the specifics in the CA rules, but do believe them to be stricter than most states. 

There are plenty of things CA government has put into place that I am not a fan of, but I would say this is one that I do not oppose. 

While I believe in the right to own a gun, I am not opposed to making that a thoroughly vetted process that acknowledges the responsibility associated with ownership. 

On the surface, without knowing or reading the CA rules, I would say I’m ok with it going National. My opinion holds little value based on my lack of in-depth knowledge. 

*not a gun owner*

Sorry, I thought we were looking for solutions.

Many people carry an unpowered .380 for self defense based on its ability to be concealed.  They are more comfortable be underpowered than having no weapon at all.  I can probably make a very strong argument that a taser is a better self defense weapon than the .380 and at least give someone a chance of stopping a shooter.
I admit a taser for all teachers IS better than nothing. I agree with the added safety measure, lets do it.

The fact that people immediately jump in to try and say guns aren't the problem after every shooting makes me embarrassed to be an American. Its astounding that people can make those claims with a straight face. Its even worse that people immediately scoff at outlawing guns completely, but then say arming teachers is a more reasonable and realistic reaction. In what world does that make any sense? 

The fact that people immediately jump in to try and say guns aren't the problem after every shooting makes me embarrassed to be an American. Its astounding that people can make those claims with a straight face. Its even worse that people immediately scoff at outlawing guns completely, but then say arming teachers is a more reasonable and realistic reaction. In what world does that make any sense? 
The NRA’s world.

You know what would be nice?  If the federal government could actually use computers to track guns that have been used in crimes. 

Russian Bots Flooded The Internet With Parkland Tweets

With a mass shooting in America come the Russian Twitter Bots to argue it's about "mental health."

Russians want to damage and ruin America... arguing that its mental health and not the guns, is damaging America.

I really don't understand why the doors aren't locked and you can only enter from just a few doors with a guard. A couple of armed guards is worth the price imo. Schools here in Colorado have them.

Users who are viewing this thread