What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

V. Young article (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
Thursday, 03/23/06

Young passes test

Former Texas QB solid in Pro Day workouts

By PAUL KUHARSKY

Staff Writer

AUSTIN, Texas — Buoyed by solid preparations and a familiar environment, Texas' Vince Young threw very well yesterday at the Longhorns Pro Day, helping himself in the NFL's polling of the three quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

While Titans General Manager Floyd Reese rated the session as very solid, others who may be better served to see Young's stock rise gushed after he took short drops and deep ones, threw darts and arced long balls and let go of the ball from the pocket and on the move.

He completed 50 of 55 passes (including one clear cut drop of a 55-yard throw that may have been his best toss of the afternoon) at the practice bubble at Frank Denius Fields.

"I love the guy, he's got a big arm, he was very impressive," said new Houston Texans Coach Gary Kubiak, whose team is expected to draft Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick. "He showed accuracy on the move, a very strong arm, he was always in control. He made every throw. He did everything you could possibly ask a quarterback to do in this situation."

The Titans got some alone time with Young last night and will spend most of today with him.

They will likely get a much truer sense of him in that time than they did from the workout organized by former Houston Oilers offensive coordinator Jerry Rhome, who's been coaching Young on things like dropping back from under center rather than playing in the shotgun.

"It was a good workout, just about what we expected I think," Reese said. "I thought they did a nice job putting it on, they showed you a little bit of everything. We've seen great variety and great athleticism, all the goods and pluses."

Added long-time Titans scout C.O. Brocato, who covers the Southwest: "I thought he had a good workout, better than I thought it was going to be. If anything, I thought he threw the ball a little bit downhill some but other than that, he made some nice throws. He's got a good arm, that's the big thing."

Observers included seven Titans representatives — Reese, director of player personnel Rich Snead, offensive coordinator Norm Chow, quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson, receivers coach Ray Sherman and scouts Brocato and Blake Beddingfield.

After the workout, Young said he felt he'd proven something.

"You hear so much that 'Vince is not working out,' 'Vince is not doing this,' so I wanted to go out there and show them that I have been working, that was the biggest key for me," he said. "I'm at home, been working. You know me, I'm always confident and relaxed, so this is Vince."

"I feel like I did a good job, I think I went out there and stayed relaxed, poised, had a good time."

After reports from Indianapolis said he scored a 6 on his first try at the 12-minute, 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, questions about his preparations and advisors popped up everywhere.

"When you're fixing to invest one of the top four, five, six, 10 picks, and you punch and you prod, you end up if you're not careful, you can put a sow's ear on a prom queen," Longhorns offensive coordinator Greg Davis said. "Because it's easier for a guy to say, 'I've got a question' than it is to say 'Dagummit guys, this guy can do it.'"

Young's throws to receivers Brian Carter and Daniel Smith (from Idaho), fullback Ahmard Hall and tight end David Thomas yesterday put a new image in the heads of coaches and executives from around the NFL.

That group included Houston owner Bob McNair and nine others from the Texans, Miami Coach Nick Saban, Baltimore quarterbacks coach Rick Neuheisel and Green Bay General Manager Ted Thompson.

Young measured in a half-inch shorter (6-4½) and a pound lighter (228) than he was at the scouting combine.

Initially he did not plan to run a 40-yard dash, but after hearing some grumbling he responded by jumping in.

Four stopwatch readings from different scouts clocked him between 4.58 and 4.61 seconds.

"People want to see my personality, how I interact," Young said afterward.

"They wanted to see me run, so I went out there and ran for them. Whatever it takes. This is my life right here, so if they want me to do something, I'm going to do it."

Young seemed relaxed and comfortable during the throwing session.

A few times he clapped between plays as if to pump himself up as Rhome talked through what was next.

After one rollout put him in range of the one set of bleachers in the bubble, he took time to say hello to his grandmother.

Reese was reluctant to compare Young's work with Jay Cutler's Pro Day performance at Vanderbilt last Friday.

"It's not exactly the same, but they were both good workouts," he said.

But the Titans are doing what they can to give themselves a baseline for comparing Cutler, Young and Matt Leinart, who will work out at USC on April 2.

Three Titans receivers — Courtney Roby, Bobby Wade and Sloan Thomas — were set to be in Austin for Young to throw to today during a private workout with the team.

Reese said the team intends to have both Cutler and Leinart throw to the same group between now and the draft.

"We'll try to standardize everything we're doing as much as possible so that at some point in time we'll be able to evaluate," he said.

Said Young: "I can't say no to any of that, that's their job. If they want their receivers to come down and let me throw to them, I'm fine with it."

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher arrived last night to join the group and begin to get to know Young, who met with Arizona officials Tuesday evening. The Cardinals pick 10th.

Next in line for Young are a trip to Baltimore to spend time with the Ravens, who pick 13th, a meeting with the Jets (fourth) in Houston and a visit with his hometown Texans.

Texas Coach Mack Brown and Davis both said any lingering questions about Young were answered, and that teams will have no qualms after they get to know the quarterback on a personal level.

Thompson, whose team drafted quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the first round last year, was asked if he'd be compelled to take Young at the Packers No. 5 spot.

"I go back to Sam Bowie and Michael Jordan," he said. "You don't pass up Michael Jordan

Sick of hearing how the Texans love the guy when everyone knows they are not going to draft him and are only hyping him to try to get some interest in the #1 pick.

Sick of hearing how the Texans love the guy when everyone knows they are not going to draft him and are only hyping him to try to get some interest in the #1 pick.
:goodposting: In addition to that, I am sick of hearing fans of TEXAS hype Vince Young. If he was that great there would be no need for that type of hype/defense. :lmao:

:goodposting: In addition to that, I am sick of hearing fans of TEXAS hype Vince Young. If he was that great there would be no need for that type of hype/defense. :lmao:
You're right. I guess he wasn't that great...and I just imagined the last two years, the 20-0 run, the 30-2 starting record, the 467 yards and comeback from 12 points down to victory over the "greatest team ever" in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, the 2 consecutive Rose Bowl MVP awards, the first 3000/1000 player ever, the comeback throw at the Shoe, and the domination of countless defenses designed with only one thing in mind: "Stop Vince Young".

It must've all been just a big, collective dream of the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there weren't so many people trying to tear him down, us Texas fans wouldn't have to spend so much time pointing out why those people are idiots! ;)

When is the last time the 2~3 rated qb prospect got this much ink? Only one that comes to mind is Ryan Leaf.

Are you being serious? I sure hope not...

When is the last time the 2~3 rated qb prospect got this much ink? Only one that comes to mind is Ryan Leaf.
Donnie McNabb comes to mind...
He never got close to this amount of ink. In fact, the big debate was over Couch and Akili Smith. The Browns were split on those two quarterbacks while Philly sat quietly at #2 waiting for McNabb, much to the shagrin (sp?) of Philly fans everywhere.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if he had a "prettier" throwing motion. Never mind that his release point is a lot higher than say, Drew Brees.

Ravens invite Young for visit

Vince Young is among the 20 college players the Ravens have invited for pre-draft visits.

The Ravens will meet with the University of Texas quarterback on April 3 at their Owings Mills training complex, where they can talk to him at length. Team officials will not conduct a private workout with Young and have no plans to schedule one.

The problem for the Ravens is that Young's stock is back on the rise after an impressive Pro Day workout in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday.

Young is not expected to last beyond the No. 7 pick (Oakland Raiders) and could be drafted as high as No. 3 (Tennessee Titans) or No. 4 (New York Jets). If the Ravens want to move ahead of the Raiders from the No. 13 slot, it likely would require trading their first- and second-round picks.

During Young's workout, he completed 49 of 54 passes, showing arm strength, a quick delivery and accuracy. He finished the 30-minute session by catching a touchdown pass.

"I thought he passed all the tests and he answered a lot of questions for teams," said Eric DeCosta, the Ravens' director of college scouting. "The biggest thing for me is that he approached the workout with an excellent mentality."

In addition to the Ravens, the Jets and the Houston Texans are expected to meet with Young privately before the draft.

The Ravens traditionally hold pre-draft visits with players they are considering to draft in the first round or players who have lingering issues (whether it's medical or character concerns).

http://www.baltimoresun.com

You're right. I guess he wasn't that great...and I just imagined the last two years, the 20-0 run, the 30-2 starting record, the 467 yards and comeback from 12 points down to victory over the "greatest team ever" in the Rose Bowl for the National Championship, the 2 consecutive Rose Bowl MVP awards, the first 3000/1000 player ever, the comeback throw at the Shoe, and the domination of countless defenses designed with only one thing in mind: "Stop Vince Young".

He was a great college player. But there are plenty of great college players who cannot make it at the next level; especially at QB. How will Vince do? :unsure: Well know soon.

He was a great college player. But there are plenty of great college players who cannot make it at the next level; especially at QB. How will Vince do? :unsure: Well know soon.
No we won't. He won't take another real snap until 2007, if then (presuming the team that takes him has a lick of sense).

No we won't. He won't take another real snap until 2007, if then (presuming the team that takes him has a lick of sense).
I hope you're right, Colin.I hate seeing any rookie qb getting thrown to the wolves.

I just can't see Norm Chow passing up his former QB, Leinart at #3. Which then begs the question - where/when does VY go?

I just can't see Norm Chow passing up his former QB, Leinart at #3.  Which then begs the question - where/when does VY go?
Is Norm Chow making player/personnel decisions for Tennessee now?Seriously, I see your point, but I don't think it's as simple as all that.

I just can't see Norm Chow passing up his former QB, Leinart at #3. Which then begs the question - where/when does VY go?
2nd year OC's who barely kept their jobs do NOT get to make personnel decisions that will affect the franchise they work for, for the next 10-12 years.

hairy scotsman and diesel are right. That aside the TEN guys are hitting the pro days for all top prospects to make sure they keep their options open (particularly in terms of trading down...)

hairy scotsman and diesel are right. That aside the TEN guys are hitting the pro days for all top prospects to make sure they keep their options open (particularly in terms of trading down...)
I think trading down cannot be ruled out right now for anyone in, say, the top 5. Seems they're all weighing that option pretty heavily.

I just can't see Norm Chow passing up his former QB, Leinart at #3.  Which then begs the question - where/when does VY go?
2nd year OC's who barely kept their jobs do NOT get to make personnel decisions that will affect the franchise they work for, for the next 10-12 years.
Be that as it may, there is no way that Norm Chow doesn't get asked about Matt Leinart's talent, ability and intangibles. Leinart earned the Heisman with Chow - do you think Chow is going to say bad things about a guy that most people already have as the #1 consensus QB in the draft? I just don't see the Titans going against Chow's certain high marks and praise that he gives Leinart. There is a HUGE risk factor in drafting players, especially QB's. Just ask Bobby Beathard and the Chargers about Ryan Leaf. If there is already a known understanding of how a player presents himself, how he practices, how he learns, how he adjusts, and all things point to GOOD - how can the Titans not select him if he's available at #3? NO WAY Leinart gets passed at #3 if he's available. No way!

Be that as it may, there is no way that Norm Chow doesn't get asked about Matt Leinart's talent, ability and intangibles. Leinart earned the Heisman with Chow - do you think Chow is going to say bad things about a guy that most people already have as the #1 consensus QB in the draft? I just don't see the Titans going against Chow's certain high marks and praise that he gives Leinart. There is a HUGE risk factor in drafting players, especially QB's. Just ask Bobby Beathard and the Chargers about Ryan Leaf. If there is already a known understanding of how a player presents himself, how he practices, how he learns, how he adjusts, and all things point to GOOD - how can the Titans not select him if he's available at #3? NO WAY Leinart gets passed at #3 if he's available. No way!
If Chow has negatives to report about Leinart, then I'm sure he'll do so. He is, after all, a professional. I don't know the absolute strengths and weaknesses observed by Chow when working with Leinart and neither do you. Maybe there were none. I think Chow's recommendation will be to go with the player who gives the Titans the best chance to win the most games in the long run. Does he think that's Leinart or Cutler or Young? I have no way of knowing, but I'm sure it doesn't just boil down to "I worked with Matt and like him, his talent, and his work ethic, so he's who I'm recommending."

Chow has professional credibility he needs to preserve/build. Do you really believe he's not gonna take a good hard look at the other talents available before giving his professional input with his a*se on the line?

I'm also sure that the Titans' management ultimately will take into account Norm Chow's recommendation, then draft whomever they deem appropriate and tell Chow to coach that player.

Also, as far as his inside knowledge and relationship with Leinart, I'm sure it will carry no more or less weight than the close relationship Vince Young has with Steve McNair, who is not a coach, but has been in the organization far longer than Chow.

From the latest Tennessean article:

After he reportedly scored a 6 on his first try at the Wonderlic — a 12-minute, 50-question test administered at the combine — some questioned Young's preparation and decision-making,

But Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said after visiting with Young and the two men he's chosen to guide him — his uncle Keith Young and his inexperienced agent Major Adams — he doesn't have any major questions.

And it's Reese who will have the ultimate say if the Titans decide to draft Young, Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler with the No. 3 pick in the April 29-30 draft.

"I don't think we feel uncomfortable at all about that, I think that was just an example of how these things get blown out of proportion," Reese said. "We met with his agent and with his uncle for a long time.

"They are exceptional people and I can understand why Vince chose them. That probably wasn't as hard a decision as a lot of people want to make it out to be."

Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow already knew Leinart from their time together with the Trojans. He already knew Vanderbilt's Cutler from coaching him at the Senior Bowl and spending a recent day with him at team headquarters.

Now he finally has a feel for Young and will be able to make some comparisons as the Titans get closer to the draft.

"That was the first time I've even seen Vince in person because I missed him at the combine," Chow said after Wednesday's Pro Day workout. "Whatever fears people had about him, he seems like a guy people had a lot of questions about, I think he got a lot of them answered.

"I think he did a nice job. I think he did a lot to help himself in the draft."

Fisher said he too was pleased with what he saw and heard from Young during two days in Austin.

"I was very impressed with every phase, with his personality, his character, his competitiveness, his athletic ability," Fisher said.

A day after Young looked solid and drew some rave reviews for completing 50 of 55 passes in a Pro Day workout, Tennessee wanted to see Young perform in some less orchestrated situations.

"He did well with the different throws, the sprint outs, the pressure flushes, the scrambles and the different drops, the three-step, the five-step and the full drop," Fisher said. "I thought he did a nice job in each one of those situations."

Fisher said the three Titans receivers helped by bringing a great deal of energy to the workout.

Said Roby: "Basically we just ran the route tree and everything. Vince looked very comfortable. He has a strong arm. He has all of it. He's a very personable guy. He did well."
tennessean

I will eat my Warren Moon jersey with mayo if the Titans board doesn't end up:

1. Leinart

2. BUsh

3. Young
You mean real mayo, right? Like Hellman's...Not that Miracle Whip crap, I hope.
Hellmans? Gotta go with JFG.Anyway, I get this suspicious feeling that the Titans are really focusing in on Cutler as their backup plan after trying to get Leinart.

If the cards fall and they get Lienart -- that is plan #1. If Leinart is gone, I see them going with Cutler. Though, depending on what happens I can see them trading down to 7 or so and then trying to get Cutler there.

Folks that should go ahead of Cutler (Bush, Leinart, Mario, VY, Hawk, Brick). So, I think he can be had at 7. I think the Titans are the only team that draft him in the top 6.

Thoughts?

1. Leinart

2. BUsh

3. Young
Hellmans? Gotta go with JFG.Anyway, I get this suspicious feeling that the Titans are really focusing in on Cutler as their backup plan after trying to get Leinart.

If the cards fall and they get Lienart -- that is plan #1. If Leinart is gone, I see them going with Cutler. Though, depending on what happens I can see them trading down to 7 or so and then trying to get Cutler there.

Folks that should go ahead of Cutler (Bush, Leinart, Mario, VY, Hawk, Brick). So, I think he can be had at 7. I think the Titans are the only team that draft him in the top 6.

Thoughts?
I agree with this. I think we'll end up baiting Oakland into trading up but showing some serious man-love for Young over the next month.

Then we'll get ol' Al to send us a 2nd and a 4th and grab Culter at 7.

1. Leinart

2. BUsh

3. Young

Thoughts?
I agree with this. I think we'll end up baiting Oakland into trading up but showing some serious man-love for Young over the next month.

Then we'll get ol' Al to send us a 2nd and a 4th and grab Culter at 7.
No chance. Last time Oakland grabbed a qb in the first roung was a looooong time ago. ol' Al is not as stupid as this post would have you believe.

Users who are viewing this thread