What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vernand Morency (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
Interesting topic here as the Texans IMHO are on the verge of becoming a playoff contender but have yet to take that next step due mainly to the conservative type of playbook that Cappers and Co implement.However there has been rumour in Houston that Dom Davis is not the back for this houston offence although he puts up great FF numbers he is not the "move the chains" type of back that perhaps the houston offence is looking forDom Davis had a somwhat easy running schedule last year and did not have to face any of the "elite" defences in my opinion . Had a couple of easy games vs KC, Indy and Tennessee as well.Morency on the other hand is the highest RB taken in Texans history and is coming out of a program that his recently produced a "shanny" rb in Tatum Bell.Morency will probably most likely be given the chance to start sometime in 05 due to a dom davis injury ( yes I know you can't predict injury but DD's track record says he will have one).So does Morency have any chance to run with the job and keep it ?? Most likely he would not be used much in the passing game - in my opinion allowing Andre Johnson to flourish into perhaps a top 5 finish at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
deja vu all over again:cough: tony hollings :cough:Newsflash: Domanick Davis is good

From someone who pegged Bell in Oct. '03 - see link below, I have seen both guys a ton. Bell has speed, very good straight forward speed. Last year, most people watching the OSU games would see Morency make a move and get into the open field for a 10-15 yd gain, and look to their buddy and say "if that was Bell, he'd be gone".

That said, Morency does not have the issue with fumbles and is less dinged up, compared to Bell. I see Morency as a cut back, slashing kind of RB. Where Bell is the type to make one cut and could take it to the house. Morency is thick and strong in the legs and thighs. He breaks a lot of tackles. I am 50/50 on his long term potential to be a FF viable RB.

Back on topic. I think Morency could be strong behind that very good Texan line. But, there is NO WAY he beats out Davis, especially with the article on blogger about the five year extension.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...3&hl=tatum+bell

However there has been rumour in Houston that Dom Davis is not the back for this houston offence although he puts up great FF numbers he is not the "move the chains" type of back that perhaps the houston offence is looking for
Really? DD can't move the chains? Funny, his 1784 total yards was fifth highest in the league at RB behind Tiki (2096), Edge (2031), CMart (1942), Alexander (1858).That put him ahead of LT, Dillon, Taylor (who surprisingly had 1569 total yards), Portis, Rudi, McGahee, Ahman, and Deuce in 2004.

He moves the chains, but not necessarily on the ground. He has a knack for moving the chains and as long as they don't try to change him into a between the tackles, straight line, runner the Texans will maximize the production from his talent. If they let him be a Faulk/Priest style of runner he will continue to dominate (should he stay healthy). But if they try to change him into Jamal Lewis or Ricky Williams, he's not going to do much and will have a harder time staying healthy....

Me and Fanatic are often on the same page - DD is a GREAT "move the chains" back.He was excellent in the red zone scoring TDs.In rushing, he was 10th in the league on 3rd or 4th with less than 5 yards to go - behind Faulk, Tomlinson, McGahee, Dillon, AGreen, Jerome Bettis, Nick Goings, Reuben Droughns, and Curtis Martin.In 2004, he had 56 first downs on 302 carries and 27 first downs on 68 receptions. 83 first downs and 14 total TDs makes for an EXCELLENT "move the chains" and "get some offense" running back.He is not a "breakaway" back - he has very few rushes or receptions over 20 yards - but he has had excellent production inside the red zone and in moving the chains.Seriously, take John 14:6's advice, check out the other thread, and then check out the old thread that is linked there.Finally, he is literally on the verge osf signing a big extension for a coach (Capers) who likes to rush the ball 450+ times a yaer - I think DD's future with the Texans is perfectly fine, and his future as a solid fantasy back is assured for the next few years, barring injury of course.

Me and Fanatic are often on the same page - DD is a GREAT "move the chains" back.

He was excellent in the red zone scoring TDs.

In rushing, he was 10th in the league on 3rd or 4th with less than 5 yards to go - behind Faulk, Tomlinson, McGahee, Dillon, AGreen, Jerome Bettis, Nick Goings, Reuben Droughns, and Curtis Martin.

In 2004, he had 56 first downs on 302 carries and 27 first downs on 68 receptions.  83 first downs and 14 total TDs makes for an EXCELLENT "move the chains" and "get some offense" running back.

He is not a "breakaway" back - he has very few rushes or receptions over 20 yards - but he has had excellent production inside the red zone and in moving the chains.

Seriously, take John 14:6's advice, check out the other thread, and then check out the old thread that is linked there.

Finally, he is literally on the verge osf signing a big extension for a coach (Capers) who likes to rush the ball 450+ times a yaer - I think DD's future with the Texans is perfectly fine, and his future as a solid fantasy back is assured for the next few years, barring injury of course.
DD had an extremly easy run schedule last year - this year he faces Buffalo and Pittsburgh in games 1 and 2He'll face Jacsonville twice and improved Cleveland D and the Baltimore D once.

Last year his YPC was 3.9 - contracts in the NFL mean nothing - DD will be a good third down back for the Texans but the guy that backedup "BIG TOE" at LSU has still yet to prove to me that he is "THE" back for the texans

I think Morency was drafted to be the future back for this organization and will really surprise once given the chance to start this year

Morency is not the highest back the Texans have ever taken in their lengthy history.  Hollings is.
Funny this link says Hollings wasn't even drafted
Hollings was taken in the supplemental draft. He was taken in the 2nd round of the 2003 supplemental draft IIRC...

Me and Fanatic are often on the same page - DD is a GREAT "move the chains" back.

In rushing, he was 10th in the league on 3rd or 4th with less than 5 yards to go - behind Faulk, Tomlinson, McGahee, Dillon, AGreen, Jerome Bettis, Nick Goings, Reuben Droughns, and Curtis Martin.

In 2004, he had 56 first downs on 302 carries and 27 first downs on 68 receptions.  83 first downs and 14 total TDs makes for an EXCELLENT "move the chains" and "get some offense" running back.

He is not a "breakaway" back - he has very few rushes or receptions over 20 yards - but he has had excellent production inside the red zone and in moving the chains.

Seriously, take John 14:6's advice, check out the other thread, and then check out the old thread that is linked there.

Finally, he is literally on the verge osf signing a big extension for a coach (Capers) who likes to rush the ball 450+ times a yaer - I think DD's future with the Texans is perfectly fine, and his future as a solid fantasy back is assured for the next few years, barring injury of course.
DD had an extremly easy run schedule last year - this year he faces Buffalo and Pittsburgh in games 1 and 2He'll face Jacsonville twice and improved Cleveland D and the Baltimore D once.

Last year he was YPC was 3.9 - contracts in the NFL mean nothing - DD will be a good third down back for the Texans but the guy that backedup "BIG TOE" at LSU has still yet to prove to me that he is "THE" back for the texans

I think Morency was drafted to be the future back for this organization and will really surprise once given the chance to start this year
Is Morency even signed? What evidence from the coaching staff, etc. makes you think that Morency has a shot to start? Being a 3rd round pick is nice but there are plenty of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks on the bench waiting to start. The fact that the Texans are looking to sign DD to a 5 year extension indicates that he is in their future plans. No offense but I think I will rely on their opinion as opposed to yours.

I don't think the Texans would be talking extension with a big signing bonus if they were planning to have a rookie take over his job.

DD had an extremly easy run schedule last year - this year he faces Buffalo and Pittsburgh in games 1 and 2

He'll face Jacsonville twice and improved Cleveland D and the Baltimore D once.

Last year his YPC was 3.9 - contracts in the NFL mean nothing - DD will be a good third down back for the Texans but the guy that backedup "BIG TOE" at LSU has still yet to prove to me that he is "THE" back for the texans

While I agree that Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Baltimore are tough against the run and his schedule last year was easier, you hit upon one of the strengths of DD. Unlike Jamal Lewis, when Houston gets in trouble they dump it off to DD and to folks like me that are in a PPR-type league that is nice. In five games last year DD had 50+ yards receiving with a high of 95 on 11 receptions. In 10 out of 14 games he had 30+ yards receiving and 2 of the 4 he did not were games he left before half time.As Marc stated earlier, almost all of the top backs have had injury issues, so you can't just point at DD and say he is injury prone. What you can say is that he puts up a lot of total yards and is a great goaline back who gets lots of TDs.

Also, stop throwing around Jacksonville and an "improved" (not sure how much a team improves by losing your entire defensive line - even if they stunk) Cleveland. In three games (2 against Jacksonville, 1 against Cleveland) last year, DD averaged 143 total yards and had 2 TDs against them.

Don't forget DD is in Tennessee's and Indy's division, so he will always play them 4 times a year and the way he handle Jacksonville at the end of 2004, I don't mind those 6 conference games at all.

Just for fun, I wanted to check DD's schedule for 2005. On it was Pitt, Baltimore and Buffalo who were 1, 2, and 4 against the run. At worst they will be the same, but they can't get much better. On the lighter side, I also found that including divison games, he has 8 games against the bottom ten defenses for FPs given up to RBs. Even though Jacksonville was ranked 9th, DD did average almost 150 total yards a game against them. The other 3 games are against Arizona (13), St. Louis (18) and Seattle (19). It seems like a decent schedule to me, outside of the 3 toughies (he had 2 toughies - Denver/NYJ in 2004), his other games are a shade easier than 2004.As a note, in 2004, DD did face Denver, SD, NYJ and Jacksonville who while not as above were 5, 11, 7, and 9. In 2004, he played fewer (3) games out of his division against bottom 10 teams.

Where are the links to the "rumors" that the Texans aren't happy with DD as the starter?

Very good? The Texans line I saw almost every week last season was abysmal, with Carr and Davis often having to elude defenders in the backfield almost immediately after the snap.

Back on topic. I think Morency could be strong behind that very good Texan line.

What, short of going back in time and magically changing his draft position, would prove to you that he is THE back for the Texans? Two years totalling 3100+ yards from scrimmage isn't enough? A big contract extension isn't enough? What would be?

Very good? The Texans line I saw almost every week last season was abysmal, with Carr and Davis often having to elude defenders in the backfield almost immediately after the snap.

Back on topic. I think Morency could be strong behind that very good Texan line.
This is the line that was the butt of the Jokes in the offical NFL draft Ads - remember "what does your team need?" and they show Carr getting the snap from center and there is NO O-line.

Chris Smith in the OLine review says "the OLine is becoming a force". Yes, the line was horrible a couple of years ago. It is much better now. It is well above average IMHO.The context was taking nothing away from Davis. But, to say that the line is good and improving.Edited to add that Smith gives the run blocking a B+ and an A for depth. BTW, I trust Chris' OLine analysis each year. Do you?

Ok, so your opinion is based exclusively on the teams run schedule and not on any allegations regarding ability or team cohesion?I think you need to look into some numbers before you point to the 3.9 YPC as end all be all - he had something like a 4.5 YPC average over the last 10 games of 2004.

As for the OL, they are SIGNIFICANTLY improved in both persoennel and scheme over the 2003 unit. IMO, they are in the top half of the league as an OL unit.

Like I said - go check into the other threads that have delved into this topic IN DEPTH - and see if you can bring something to bear here that shows me unsigned Morency or any other Texan back will be replacing DD, who is about to sign a huge contract extension.

And, for the record MacDaddy, I'll bet you anything you want that DD is not riding the pine this year if he is healthy. You name it, you got it.

NFL contracts mean nothing - that is almost too funny - yeah, teams always give big contracts to players they don't need to tie up - DD would be a restricted FA after 2005 - not an unrestricted one.

I'll be sure to bump this thread when DD is riding the pine fellow FBG'ers
Don't worry, we'll bump it each week Morency is on the practice squad.

Honest to God, no disrespect intended MacD, but this post is just ludicrous. Morency was a fine NCAA back, and he does have a chance to be a solid pro, but to unseat DD anytime soon, injury not withstanding is downright ridiculous. Be happy with the number of responses you at least generated - you did manage to hit a nerve.Again, no offense, just NO WAY. DD is a tremendous chain-chuggin' RB and any implication otherwise is baseless.

HAHA - some of the responses that are being generated here are really amusing - it seems like a lot of you have DD love and cannot even entertain the idea that he may lose the starting gig to a back that suits the offence more.Morency will surprise this year - IMO he is the 4th most talented back of the 05 draft class I think there will be a lot of disappointed DD owners expecting the same type of numbers as last yearIf the texans are gonna win they are gonna have to do it behind a SOLID RUNNING GAME - especially since Cappers is more of a conservative coach.At best I see this situation ending in a RBBC for Dom Davis say by the 10th game of the season or so.I don't understand why there is all this love for DD - sure he's a great fantasy back but he's not a great RB in the NFL.Like I said before contracts mean little to nothing in the NFL - its all about winning - I think the texans have a better shot at winning with Morency than Davis.

HAHA - some of the responses that are being generated here are really amusing - it seems like a lot of you have DD love and cannot even entertain the idea that he may lose the starting gig to a back that suits the offence more.

Morency will surprise this year - IMO he is the 4th most talented back of the 05 draft class

I think there will be a lot of disappointed DD owners expecting the same type of numbers as last year

If the texans are gonna win they are gonna have to do it behind a SOLID RUNNING GAME - especially since Cappers is more of a conservative coach.

At best I see this situation ending in a RBBC for Dom Davis say by the 10th game of the season or so.

I don't understand why there is all this love for DD - sure he's a great fantasy back but he's not a great RB in the NFL.

Like I said before contracts mean little to nothing in the NFL - its all about winning - I think the texans have a better shot at winning with Morency than Davis.
Morency has not even beaten out Tony Hollins for the number 2 job yet. ..annoiting him a better RB than a guy who is a least a mid-level NFL starter is not proving your evaluation skills, it proving your lack of understanding of the having proven production over guessing at production. The contract thing does matter. If the Texans had no longer term interest Davis they would control him for two years and let him walk.

This is not DomDavis love as much as looking a situation and being able to analyze it.

This may be a stupid question and kind of a hijack, but I didn't want to start another Houston RB thread:Does Johnathan Wells fit in anyhow? I have him in the same dynasty league that I have DD and he did well for me when DD went down. I'm wondering if I should consider letting him go :confused:

Quote Mr Dowling from another thread haven't been the biggest Davis supporter, but I ask the following question in all practical honesty...What does him getting an extension - if it happened - have to do with his long term prospects? if they give him a boatload of money then I coud see that as a sign that the team values him. BUt unless they make him one of the highest paid RBs in the league, I fail to see how a contract extension means anything significant in terms of his fantasy prospects. Thomas Jones got a big payday, played well, and found Cedric Benson coming to town.Dunn/Duckett has been mentioned.Rudi/Perry is yet another somewhat similar example.I just don't see the evidence that extension = security.COlin

The texans used the equivalent of the 2.1 pick in the 2004 draft on Hollings, so to say Morency is the highest drafted Texan;s RB is false. They did draft Hollings in the supplemental, however because of the way supplemental draft picks transfer over to the real draft, the Texans used the draft pick accquired from the Raiders on hollings, which turned out to be the 2.1 pick. Morency has to unseat Hollings to be #2, and not only that Wells, who performed EXCELLENT in relief last year. I know backup RBs with success do not always translate into starting gig success for whatever reason, but given Well's success last year even starting a game or two IIRC, I see no reason why the Texans would not let Wells play given a short term injury to DD.What exactly about DD says he's a bad NFL RB? He doesn't get stuffed often at the goalline or third and short. 3.9 YPC? Since when was YPC behind the o-line that has surrendered the most sacks in the NFL over in the years since its inception the mark of a successful NFL RB? Eddie George got it don e for years with 3.9, and Emmitt Smith put up plenty of 3.9 seasons. DD is consistent, that is why he doesnt have a higher YPC. He doesn't break too many long runs. You don't need your every down back to break long runs, however. Thats why scat backs and situational backs are for. There has been no indication, no reason to assume, no statement from the coaching staff or GM or owner, or even reporters. Honestly, there are enough 1st rounders waiting for their chance to start (think larry johnson), and any number of 2nd and 3rd round RBs riding the pine for years. Remember also DD revived a Texans running game that was non-existant under Mack two years ago. The running game was terrible. DD's contract extension doesn't matter? How many RFA RBs get 5 year big money extensions if the coaching staff plans to replace them? They can have DD for two more years without a new contract, and he hasnt given any sign of holding out even though he's making peanuts (by NFL standards) and plays in the most injury prone position! I do not know him personally, but that speaks of his devotion to his team. Honestly MacDaddy, you tried to argue that Hollings wasn't even drafted. This isn't a DD love fest, its the truth. There is no indication that DD will lose his job. This isn't even a Henry-McGahee situation. 3rd round picks arn't taken to be starters right away, they are depth/support future prospects. I just do not see anything to indicate that this will happen. Even a career ending injury to DD will just create a RBBC and frankly, Wells has proven more, Hollings has more experience (and more "projected talent when coming out of college", I frankly do not see much chance for Morency this year. Sorry.

I agree here that this is an attack more on the ability to analyze a situation than an attack on the opinion that DD is not agood NFL back or that he will be replaced.It is also an attack on the concept that DD will be replaced, but that is secondary to the complete dearth of analysis in favor of the position that DD will be replaced, or that the objective criteria indicate he will NOT be replaced - especially in 2005 - which was the contention made here.I still have yet to see a single cogent response to the attack on that 3.9 YPC - he had a 4.3 YPC avereage from the open date onward (the last 10 games of 2005) when he faced the Broncos, the Jaguars twice and the Browns - The Jags and Browns were cited as "tough" run defenses he wil face next year. Incidentally, he averaged 4.4 YPC in those three games (two v. the Jags, one v. the Browns) in 2004.Still haven't seen a cogent argument here in favor of Morency for 2005.

I agree here that this is an attack more on the ability to analyze a situation than an attack on the opinion that DD is not agood NFL back or that he will be replaced.

It is also an attack on the concept that DD will be replaced, but that is secondary to the complete dearth of analysis in favor of the position that DD will be replaced, or that the objective criteria indicate he will NOT be replaced - especially in 2005 - which was the contention made here.

I still have yet to see a single cogent response to the attack on that 3.9 YPC - he had a 4.3 YPC avereage from the open date onward (the last 10 games of 2005) when he faced the Broncos, the Jaguars twice and the Browns - The Jags and Browns were cited as "tough" run defenses he wil face next year. Incidentally, he averaged 4.4 YPC in those three games in 2004.

Still haven't seen a cogent argument here in favor of Morency for 2005.
I am just wondering how the Morency pick makes sense if the Texans have faith in DD. They already had Hollings and Wells, decent backups IMO, and other needs.

I agree here that this is an attack more on the ability to analyze a situation than an attack on the opinion that DD is not  agood NFL back or that he will be replaced.

It is also an attack on the concept that DD will be replaced, but that is secondary to the complete dearth of analysis in favor of the position that DD will be replaced, or that the objective criteria indicate he will NOT be replaced - especially in 2005 - which was the contention made here.

I still have yet to see a single cogent response to the attack on that 3.9 YPC - he had a 4.3 YPC avereage from the open date onward (the last 10 games of 2005) when he faced the Broncos, the Jaguars twice and the Browns - The Jags and Browns were cited as "tough" run defenses he wil face next year. Incidentally, he averaged 4.4 YPC in those three games in 2004.

I am just wondering how the Morency pick makes sense if the Texans have faith in DD. They already had Hollings and Wells, decent backups IMO, and other needs.
Wells is adequate at best and how in the world could they ever count on Hollings? Hollings came in as a project and has been injured constantly for 2 years. So IMO they may have depth but very little upside or dependability.

I agree here that this is an attack more on the ability to analyze a situation than an attack on the opinion that DD is not  agood NFL back or that he will be replaced.

Best player available.They have (edit - had, as of draft day) DD facing a restricted FA situation and he has yet to play a 16 game season.

They have modeled their new rush attack afte the Broncos' run game, they probably wanted yet another back in the stable - I'd say the Morency pick is more a condemnation of the backup abilities of Hollinugs and Wells than th estarting ability of DD.

Finally, Capers would do cartwheels if he could rush the ball 475-500 times a year - with that many rushes, and DD getting around 320 in a 16 gamer season, there's a TON of carries that need to go to another back.

Thomas Jones got a big payday, played well, and found Cedric Benson coming to town.
Appleas and Oranges> Thomas Jones was signed last year. It wasn't even an extension. It now looks as if it was a short-term fix. The Bears had nobody they liked and signed a FA player. DD was alrady on the roster and is getting an EXTENSION this year. If Jones was given an extension this year and then the Bears drafted Benson, then you can compare the two.

Will the drafting of Morency free up Hollings or Wells to return kicks? If one of the backup Rb's is freed up to play special teams, will Armstrong, Bradford, Gaffney, Pitts, Thomas, Sloan, Starling, Mathis, Kasper, or Dunbar be able to work on just being a WR. They certainly could use some depth there too. Maybe this is why they took Morency.

Last edited:
Thomas Jones got a big payday, played well, and found Cedric Benson coming to town.
Appleas and Oranges> Thomas Jones was signed last year. It wasn't even an extension. It now looks as if it was a short-term fix. The Bears had nobody they liked and signed a FA player. DD was alrady on the roster and is getting an EXTENSION this year. If Jones was given an extension this year and then the Bears drafted Benson, then you can compare the two.
Plus w/Dunn/Duckett, they drafted Duckett the same year they signed Dunn in FA - they didn't give Dunn an extension and then draft Duckett or vice versa. They headed into the 2002 season with the full intent of using both backs.

Also - to add to the "adding RBs" thing - The Jaguars added two RBs to their roster behind Fred Taylor - Toefield (round 4) and Jones (round 2) - Taylor is still the primary back.Not sure why the simple fact of adding a third round RB spells any doom for DD.

Best player available.They have (edit - had, as of draft day) DD facing a restricted FA situation and he has yet to play a 16 game season.

They have modeled their new rush attack afte the Broncos' run game, they probably wanted yet another back in the stable - I'd say the Morency pick is more a condemnation of the backup abilities of Hollinugs and Wells than th estarting ability of DD.

Finally, Capers would do cartwheels if he could rush the ball 475-500 times a year - with that many rushes, and DD getting around 320 in a 16 gamer season, there's a TON of carries that need to go to another back.
This was my thinking in drafting Morency. Backup in a system that likes to run alot, behind a starter who may (or may not) have injury concerns. Basically, a "if he gets to play, should score points." System + Potential Opportunity + Talent (even if it's only 3rd round) = good pick in the early second round. I had a low pick though, and got him at the end of the first, cause I didn't think he'd be there at the end of the second. Edit for getting the quote things to work.

A couple of notes about this discussion:1st. Davis may or may not be "getting an extension". They are TALKING about an extension. People talk about a lot of things. IF he signs an extension, what it might mean will be heavily influenced by the KIND of extension he signs. I appreciate speculation as much as the next guy, but at this stage, it's all talk between Davis and management, and until it is something OTHER than talk, it doesn't mean a whole lot.2nd. I keep hearing how Dom Davis super-stud couldn't possibly be effected by a MERE 3rd round back when Davis himself was drafted in the 4th round. Kind of makes me laugh. Davis was drafted as a special teams/backup/specialist RB. He BECAME a lead back through a combination of solid (but not spectacular) play and a lack of other viable options. Hollings was a failed attempt to replace Davis. We just don't know about Morency yet.

A couple of notes about this discussion:

1st. Davis may or may not be "getting an extension". They are TALKING about an extension. People talk about a lot of things. IF he signs an extension, what it might mean will be heavily influenced by the KIND of extension he signs. I appreciate speculation as much as the next guy, but at this stage, it's all talk between Davis and management, and until it is something OTHER than talk, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

2nd. I keep hearing how Dom Davis super-stud couldn't possibly be effected by a MERE 3rd round back when Davis himself was drafted in the 4th round. Kind of makes me laugh. Davis was drafted as a special teams/backup/specialist RB. He BECAME a lead back through a combination of solid (but not spectacular) play and a lack of other viable options. Hollings was a failed attempt to replace Davis. We just don't know about Morency yet.
:goodposting: And I'd just like to add to that last bit: This kid hasn't even played in a preseason game yet. Who knows even if they are trying to replace DD, if he can even do it?

This may be a stupid question and kind of a hijack, but I didn't want to start another Houston RB thread:

Does Johnathan Wells fit in anyhow? I have him in the same dynasty league that I have DD and he did well for me when DD went down. I'm wondering if I should consider letting him go :confused:
I believe I heard the Texans are wanting to move Wells to fullback, which sounds like a good idea to me. His wide frame and running style seem better suited for that.

AND...Cedric Benson needs to win this spot still. The last formal word I read out of Lovie's mouth was "Thomas is our guy."

AND...Cedric Benson needs to win this spot still. The last formal word I read out of Lovie's mouth was "Thomas is our guy."
You haven't been playing FF for too long have ya ??:coachspeak: :hophead:

You haven't been playing FF for too long have ya ??:coachspeak: :hophead:
I'm not the one saying Vernand Morency will unseat one of the top 5 backs.Dumas.

I believe I heard the Texans are wanting to move Wells to fullback, which sounds like a good idea to me. His wide frame and running style seem better suited for that.
Wells is going to have a hard time making the squad this year. He is being looked at in the fullback spot but honestly, he isn't physical enough - he runs like Ron Dayne....big back who dislikes contact. His patented half spin move where he backs into the line is just friggin' maddening. Wells is doing the dreaded 'position switch' reps marginal players get before they hit the road. One last look to salvage something out of him other than being a decent special teamer. Moran Norris is one of the best FB's in the NFL in any case...at least one of the top blocking FB's in football. Hollings will probably be the primary kick returner - he looked good in mini camp.Personally, I think that Dom and Morency will be in a heavy RBBC this year. Everyone who thinks they can project this backfield in 2005 on the expansion thin start up years is kidding themselves. The way to beat the Texans is go into a cover-2 shell and let Dom touch the ball underneath. His longest run from scrimmage for the first 10 weeks of the season was 11 yards. The Texans run blocking is severly underrated and most fantasy fans can't seem to tell the difference in pass blocking and run blocking from what I can tell with their general and very naive statements.

Houston 481 attempts, 1882 yds, 3.9 ypc, 117.6 ypg, 16 TD's, 103 1st downs

Buffalo 483 attempts, 1874 yds, 3.9 ypc, 117.1 ypg, 15 TD's, 102 FD's

Generally Buffalo is characterized as a team with a power running game but the Texans are too conservative and their line is horrible. Yeah, if you don't follow the team and just re-hash uneducated opinion that's the spew-take.

I've watched every single snap for the Texans and Dom is a nice back, but he isn't even close to a dominant back. He can't carry the team, he doesn't change games, and teams lay back and let him catch dump offs because he won't score on many of them. Teams lay back in a cover-2 because they don't need to put 8 in the box to stop the Texans since Dom is not a home run threat and Carr has trouble passing against complex zones. I don't think the Texans will sign him to a huge contract, as they backed off their talks awful fast last month. Houston is making a plan to win football games, improve their offense and become a more dominant unit so they can make a playoff run. I don't think they give a rats booty about Dom's fantasy stats.

Users who are viewing this thread