What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Veteran WRs to target this year (1 Viewer)

I've always been a proponent of buying solid, steady and unremarkable vet WRs in bulk late in the draft. They've proven they can perform at some point... Much more so than that shiny new rookie that everyone is looking to get ahold of in round 7.

Sometimes their value is depressed because of the "emergence" of an up and coming WR ala Rod Smith v Ashley Lelie. Sometimes they have been solid as a #2 for years after being a #1, but are only an injury away from stepping into a great season ala Muhsin Muhammad. Some guys just have injury problems, but if they can put together just one solid year, they'd be great value in round 13 or whatever.

Last year, I had some combination Terry Glenn, Donald Driver and Joey Galloway on all my teams. Driver was the most expensive with an ADP in the 18-20 WR range. Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway came free with the purchase of any large drink. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I always seem to be able to hit well on cheap vet WRs late in the draft. I feel if I can pair them with a solid performer from the earlier rounds, I'll be set all year at the WR position.

This year, I'm not feeling too great about my prospects, but there are some guys that fit my profile that can be had cheaply.

Amani Toomer:

He'll basically be free this year. I'm not super high on him, but a Plax injury puts him back as the #1 WR on a team that was 9th in pass attempts last year. Plus Plax is supposed to have attitude problems, so there's always that X factor I guess.

Muhsin Muhammad:

Here's a guy who made my list in 2004 and ended up on one of my teams. A decline in numbers last year was expected, but with a year with the Bears under his belt, and hopefully an improved QB situation... They even have a capable veteran backup in Chi-town now. He'll be fighting off an "up and comer" in Mark Bradley.

Marcus Robinson:

I almost don't want to include him, since he's a guy who gets played up as a sleeper candidate every year. Still, that WR position in Minnesota is far from settled.

Joe Horn:

Based on the antsports mocks I posted the other day, this guy is basically forgotten about. He only finished #3 WR two years ago...

Isaac Bruce:

See Joe Horn. He always seemed to produce solid value around mid draft. The Rams probably won't be passing as much as in previous years, but we know what he's capable of and injuries DO happen.

Derrick Mason:

The more I think about this guy, the more I like it. He's definitely someone you'd have to get NOW though IMO. If things fall the way Baltimore wants, McNair will be cut and starting for them week 1. Once people start remembering the McNair-Mason combo from Tennessee, his value will shoot up.

Troy Brown:

Waaaaay on the outside of my thinking, but he fits. A Deion Branch injury would have him competing for catches with future HOFers Reche Caldwell and Bethel Johnson. Could Troy Brown squeeze out another 1,000 yard season? Stranger things have happened.

Marty Booker:

Same as a lot of guys who "came out of nowhere" to have a top 10-12 season. Formerly productive, behind a younger guy who gets injured. It could happen and he could be a very nice surprise.

Peerless Price:

... Nah

Of this list, I probably like Bruce-Mason-Horn-Muhammad the most. Hard to say what their real pricetag will be come July/August, but it will be much cheaper than Larry Fitzgerald.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Terry Glenn and Patrick Crayton in Dallas. The TO signing will mean double coverage on him..... Witten is still there too, it will be hard to double Glenn or Crayton...

Amani Toomer:

He'll basically be free this year. I'm not super high on him, but a Plax injury puts him back as the #1 WR on a team that was 9th in pass attempts last year. Plus Plax is supposed to have attitude problems, so there's always that X factor I guess.

I think he still has the ability and will put up ok numbers if Plax is healthy, great ones Plax is hurt for an extended period

Muhsin Muhammad:

Here's a guy who made my list in 2004 and ended up on one of my teams. A decline in numbers last year was expected, but with a year with the Bears under his belt, and hopefully an improved QB situation... They even have a capable veteran backup in Chi-town now. He'll be fighting off an "up and comer" in Mark Bradley.

The addition of Griese is great for Muhammad. If his ACL is healed he'll be the starter. I'm tempering my expectations but he could be a surprise and is value is much lower than last year.

Marcus Robinson:

I almost don't want to include him, since he's a guy who gets played up as a sleeper candidate every year. Still, that WR position in Minnesota is far from settled.

There's always a chance, but I don't see him winning a starting job.

Joe Horn:

Based on the antsports mocks I posted the other day, this guy is basically forgotten about. He only finished #3 WR two years ago...

All depends on Brees' healthy, but I think he could have a good year and certainly not worse that last year. Nice upside.

Isaac Bruce:

See Joe Horn. He always seemed to produce solid value around mid draft. The Rams probably won't be passing as much as in previous years, but we know what he's capable of and injuries DO happen.

I like Bruce since I can see the Rams leaving Curtis as the #3 where he can exploit defenses. Because of the that Bruce will still get a lot of targets as the #2.

Derrick Mason:

The more I think about this guy, the more I like it. He's definitely someone you'd have to get NOW though IMO. If things fall the way Baltimore wants, McNair will be cut and starting for them week 1. Once people start remembering the McNair-Mason combo from Tennessee, his value will shoot up.

All comes down to what happens with McNair. Mason gets a huge boost if he reunites with his old QB.

Troy Brown:

Waaaaay on the outside of my thinking, but he fits. A Deion Branch injury would have him competing for catches with future HOFers Reche Caldwell and Bethel Johnson. Could Troy Brown squeeze out another 1,000 yard season? Stranger things have happened.

Scary thought if Branch is injured and they don't get anyone else. Brown would need 100 catches to break 1000 yards though.

Marty Booker:

Same as a lot of guys who "came out of nowhere" to have a top 10-12 season. Formerly productive, behind a younger guy who gets injured. It could happen and he could be a very nice surprise.

Booker is definitely a prime candidate for a surprise year. Another guy who is dependent on his QB getting healthy, but he could be in for a good season.

galloway is my favorite geezer WR...

the maturiting of caddy, clayton & alex smith should prevent teams from paying too much attention to him... he looks almost as fast as he ever was... joey gets on top of DBs in a hurry...

the way i heard scouts describe troy williamson's speed last year... blow the lid off the coverage & explode through deep zone-type speed... galloway used to have that, & i don't think he ever lost it...

MOULDS and Mushinare my favorites...

They both have the potential to blow up....

I just got both of them in my draft im doing now real late....

Holt, Torry STL WR - 9 2.10

Moulds, Eric HOU WR - 3 11.06

Muhammad, Muhsin CHI WR - 4 10.01

Wayne, Reggie IND WR - 8 4.01

Williams, Roy DET WR - 3 3.12

I like Jurevicius in Cleveland. He's solid and the kind of player Frye needs.

I wonder what kind of ADP Galloway will have? Probably too high for this thinking. He'll be good again though.

I'm probably staying away from Brees and Horn. Not sure why.

Koren Robinson is interesting. I know not an old vet, but similar idea.

A few come to mind

Hines Ward - An offense built to run = depressed value. Consistent, team player, improving QB. I haven't seen ADP for redrafts, but I assume he'll drop below "upside" picks, into 15-20 territory. I'm predicting top 10 stats this year.

Keyshawn - Carolina's #2, but what happens if Smith gets injured?

Dennis Northcutt / Jurevicious - I like Braylon a lot, but he won't start the year.

I like Jurevicius in Cleveland. He's solid and the kind of player Frye needs.
I wonder what kind of ADP Galloway will have? Probably too high for this thinking. He'll be good again though.
Based on very early returns... mid 6th.
I'm probably staying away from Brees and Horn. Not sure why.
According to the latest mock data, Horn is a 3rd/4th rounder now... hmmm
Koren Robinson is interesting. I know not an old vet, but similar idea.
I like K-Rob also, which is why I'm not exactly thrilled about M-Rob. K-Rob is going 8th-9th round according to the latest mock ADPs. Seems like a candidate for Plax 2006.

I'm keeping an eye on Laveranues Coles, particularly if Chad makes it back.

His numbers were way down last year, but that is more of a function of the terrible QB situation.

The Jets didn't go out and get any WR help, and McCareins is just not good, so that still leaves Coles as the clear-cut, primary WR. And with Curtis and the running game looking suspect, they may be throwing the ball quite a bit more than in the past.

In deep leagues, as in six starter's at WR these guys are king:

1.) Rod Smith excels in DEN's system of quick slant's, hook-and-go's. He still gets it done and has at least one more year and can be had for a song. A top 25 WR last year and the year before and the .....

2.) What I'm looking for is guys that moved from one team to another, will likely be a top 30 WR and are bargains because of the uncertainty factor, flying under radar types. Jurevicius and Antonio Bryant fit into this category.

3.) The word is out on KRob for MIN: he'll not come cheap but will probably perform at a reasonable level. There are more guys trying to trade for him than guys willing to trade him away in keeper leagues.....upside, upside.

4.) McCareins is available on most league's Waiver Wires.

His numbers were way down last year, but that is more of a function of the terrible QB situation.

The Jets didn't go out and get any WR help, and McCareins is just not good, so that still leaves Coles as the clear-cut, primary WR. And with Curtis and the running game looking suspect, they may be throwing the ball quite a bit more than in the past.
I just don't get the love for this guy. He hasn't been nearly the same player since injuring his toe. I doubt I'll ever draft him again. :shrug:

I just don't get the love for this guy. He hasn't been nearly the same player since injuring his toe. I doubt I'll ever draft him again. :shrug:
I don't think anyone is calling him a top 10 guy, but he's a solid WR.Caught 73 (crappy team/year), 90, 92 and 89 balls the last 4 years. To be sure, his YPC has been poor the last two years, but I think it may be factor of the QB play he had.

He's not good enough to thrive regardless of who is throwing him the ball, and his TDs have not been up there, but if he gets a QB that can get the ball to him (e.g., Chad), he could surprise on the upside.

Why could Coles only get 950 yards and 1 td while with the Redskins while Santana Moss (same qb) grabbed 500 more yards and 9 td's-while catching 6 fewer passes?

At a certain point it gets ridiculous to say player x can be good, so long as everything falls into place. I'd much rather have Mason, K-Rob or a handful of other guys who don't require perfection to perform. Who knows, Coles may burn me this season by my refusal to pick him. I can't imagine how it would happen when they have no qb.

ETA in ppr leagues he's much more valuable.

A few come to mind

Hines Ward - An offense built to run = depressed value. Consistent, team player, improving QB. I haven't seen ADP for redrafts, but I assume he'll drop below "upside" picks, into 15-20 territory. I'm predicting top 10 stats this year.
i agree with your prediction but I dont think he will slip far if at all

In deep leagues, as in six starter's at WR these guys are king:

1.) Rod Smith excels in DEN's system of quick slant's, hook-and-go's. He still gets it done and has at least one more year and can be had for a song. A top 25 WR last year and the year before and the .....

2.) What I'm looking for is guys that moved from one team to another, will likely be a top 30 WR and are bargains because of the uncertainty factor, flying under radar types. Jurevicius and Antonio Bryant fit into this category.

3.) The word is out on KRob for MIN: he'll not come cheap but will probably perform at a reasonable level. There are more guys trying to trade for him than guys willing to trade him away in keeper leagues.....upside, upside.

4.) McCareins is available on most league's Waiver Wires.
I traded for McCariens last year - paid a pretty price - dynasty league. I've had some offers to buy him cheap I even tried to trade him a few times and had no takers (at my price. I've decided he is worth keeping for awhile and seeing what he can do.

McCardell and Kennison are always available much, much later than they should be. I don't understand it. Galloway was another one like that, though he'll probably be snatched up early this year.

Horn may be a guy to target coming off an awful '05. He's a great wr when healthy and has been a consistent 6-10 wr that you may be able to get in the 6th round or later.

Horn may be a guy to target coming off an awful '05. He's a great wr when healthy and has been a consistent 6-10 wr that you may be able to get in the 6th round or later.
I'd agree if Brooks were coming back, but with a new QB that has no predisposed notions towards locking into Horn, and Stallworth finally showing something, I don't think Joe's numbers will be that terrific.

A few come to mind

i agree with your prediction but I dont think he will slip far if at all
You may be right, he's a big name. I'll still take a guy as the #15-20 WR who (a) performs at a very high, consistent level, and (b) at least IMO has the potential to be better. Maybe not the steal of the draft, but a key to how a league is won.

This is a great topic we never see.

Muhammad is a top of the list guy after suffering through Kyle Orton last year.

Coles had to suffer through a lot of QB hell as well.

Joe Horn is staring us in the face after what was a bad year for all Saints.

Marty Booker should do much better though we dont know who is starting at QB yet.

Isaac Bruce had another injury riddled year and should rebound once again.

Derrick Mason had an abnormally low number of TDs and could get a new QB.

Eric Moulds had to suffer through bad QB play. New team though.

Bobby Engram is like Mr Invisible.

Eddie Kennison is perfect for this list.

Do they qualify?

Dennis Northcutt was all but forgotten. Now he returns to a starting role. Probably doesnt qualify here though.

Koren Robinson wouldnt qualify in my book but he's a great sleeper.

Drew Bennett doesnt have enough experience to qualify in my book.

Andre Johnson had trouble finding the end zone and missed some games. He's still too popular to qualify though.

I agree, even if Pennington doesn't make it, he's had nice chemistry with Ramsey. What do you expect from a reciever who had to deal with a decimated O-line, and 3rd and 4th string qbs throwing him the ball all season. Just got him in the 9th rd in a ongoing mock. Thought it was a steal

Horn may be a guy to target coming off an awful '05.  He's a great wr when healthy and has been a consistent 6-10 wr that you may be able to get in the 6th round or later.
I'd agree if Brooks were coming back, but with a new QB that has no predisposed notions towards locking into Horn, and Stallworth finally showing something, I don't think Joe's numbers will be that terrific.
The reason why Brooks threw to Horn is that Horn is a better wr than Stallworth and that is still the case. Horn can catch the ball (which has been a problem with Stallworth), he runs great routes and is overall a VERY solid wr. IMO Stallworth did well because Horn was out/hurt, if Horn is healthy Stallworth returns to the #2 as always. This is why Horn has value, people will mistakenly think that Stallworth will take over when the only reason he was getting the looks/catches was that the true #1 was hurt and they had no one else to throw to. I'll definitely let someone else take Stallworth and scoop up Horn several rounds later......

Horn may be a guy to target coming off an awful '05.  He's a great wr when healthy and has been a consistent 6-10 wr that you may be able to get in the 6th round or later.
The reason why Brooks threw to Horn is that Horn is a better wr than Stallworth and that is still the case. Horn can catch the ball (which has been a problem with Stallworth), he runs great routes and is overall a VERY solid wr. IMO Stallworth did well because Horn was out/hurt, if Horn is healthy Stallworth returns to the #2 as always. This is why Horn has value, people will mistakenly think that Stallworth will take over when the only reason he was getting the looks/catches was that the true #1 was hurt and they had no one else to throw to. I'll definitely let someone else take Stallworth and scoop up Horn several rounds later......
I don't disagree, but IIRC Horn was, in fact, healthy for a stretch of the season and still underperformed. I do agree though that I'd give him somewhat of a mulligan for last year and see how things shake out.

I just have visions of Brees being involved in endless shootouts, chucking the ball a whole lot, and Horn ending up with some pretty good numbers.

Great thread and I agree with the initial post that I've always targeted the "solid veteran WRs" and let others chase after the next big thing. It's a proven strategy of success -- especially at a position where it often takes at least 3 seasons for a player to really make an impact. My thoughts on some of the veteran WRs:

Horn: I agree he has the potential to be a good value pick if he really slips but I worry that he is showing signs of decline. His injury alone was not the cause for his poor season last year. Down the stretch he was flat-out awful. The Saints didn't even look to him in the Red Zone; he became more of a possession WR and I think that could be his role again. He'll be the move-the-chains guy and when they're looking for a big play or a TD Stallworth will be first in line. I think Stallworth has passed him as the biggest weapon in the passing game although I agree with a new coaching staff and new QB all bets are really off. But keep in mind talent has never been the issue with Stallworth; it's been all the little things and I think he has made some strides in those areas in the last year-and-a-half (he finished 2004 on a high note as well). Bottom line: Unless the price is really really really good for Horn I'm going to pass. If he blows up I can live with it.

Rod Smith: He's under-rated every damn year and he just goes out and outperforms his ADP. I expect that to continue again in 2006.

Kennison: See Rod Smith.

Mason: The guy is money in PPR or yardage-heavy leagues. Even with a s**t QB like Boller he still put up numbers. He'll need a QB change for me to feel good about him from a touchdown perspective but even if the Ravens stick with Boller I wouldn't have a single problem with Mason as my WR3.

Galloway: The fact he did well no matter who the QB was for the Bucs last season is a huge plus in his favor. I don't see Clayton returning to his rookie form and Galloway is still a huge big-play threat (and one of the few the Bucs have on offense). It'll be interesting to see what his ADP is as we get closer to the season. He could be over-priced based on his 2005 season. If he isn't, I'd be all over him as a WR2.

Muhammad: I think the Bears' offense is still going to stink although it will stink less if Griese can take the QB job. I'd be OK with Moose as my WR3 in a PPR league; I wouldn't be as giddy about him in the same role in a non-PPR league. He was overpriced last year due to his 2004 season so he could fall this year which would make him much more tempting.

Toomer: He was a prime value pick last year and lived up to that billing. I think he'll follow suit again - especially if Manning continues to improve.

Moulds: I wish I liked David Carr just a little because then I'd really be interested in Moulds because I think he's going to fall to a very tempting range. But I don't like Carr and I think if Carr improves Andre Johnson will be the primary beneficiary, not Moulds. If Carr plays well, I think Moulds will be OK but I don't see a lot of upside there. Plus I think Andre Johnson is a prime bounceback candidate. He's too talented of a WR to have another year like he had in 2005.

Bruce: He's still a good, solid WR and if he's a starter I won't have a problem with him as my WR3. But I would not be the least bit surprised if Kevin Curtis pushed him out of the starting job. Curtis is really really good and he clearly connected with Marc Bulger last year when Bruce was out. With a new coaching staff in place, they may want to get Curtis more involved and a strong camp could lead to Bruce shuffling into the No. 3 WR role where I think he'd be great for the Rams but not so hot for fantasy owners.

Just wondering, how would everyone feel about a WR corps of Hines Ward, Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison in a redraft? Seems to me these guys are as consistent as can be, and can be had at great value.

ETA: I'd add a couple "upside" picks like Matt Jones and Braylon Edwards late (if available).

Just wondering, how would everyone feel about a WR corps of Hines Ward, Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison in a redraft?
I guess if you had two great RBs that could work. I just wouldn't be very excited those guys starting every week. Now, Marvin Harrison, Ward and Smith would be a great trio. Harrison's not such a sexy pick early on these days with Smith, Fitz, Johnson etc all going before him but he's still remarkably consistent and productive.

Just wondering, how would everyone feel about a WR corps of Hines Ward, Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison in a redraft?
I guess if you had two great RBs that could work. I just wouldn't be very excited those guys starting every week. Now, Marvin Harrison, Ward and Smith would be a great trio. Harrison's not such a sexy pick early on these days with Smith, Fitz, Johnson etc all going before him but he's still remarkably consistent and productive.
Good point. I'm thinking that if you went stud RB theory, took Gates or Gonzo/Shockey in the 3rd or 4th, and a QB in the 5th, and walked away with those 3 starting, you might be ok. I've never liked waiting that long for a WR, so I was curious if that would work.

I recently picked up Bruce as my WR3 in a 16-team redraft league (the 42nd WR selected). Some others felt he was not that great a pick as he was too old even though he just recently turned 33.

But he is younger than Galloway, RSmith, McCardell, and JSmith. He is the same age as Harrison, Keyshawn, and Horn. And he is just a year older than T.O., Moulds, Kennison, and Muhammad.

And for those that forget, Bruce ranked in the Top 20 for 6 years in a row and 8 times overall.

The Rams may not pass quite as much as in the past and Kevin Curtis might get some more playing time, but I still think Bruce can rank in the Top 20-25 range.

Just wondering, how would everyone feel about a WR corps of Hines Ward, Rod Smith and Eddie Kennison in a redraft? Seems to me these guys are as consistent as can be, and can be had at great value.

ETA: I'd add a couple "upside" picks like Matt Jones and Braylon Edwards late (if available).
In a redraft, Edwards is not an upside pick this year. He will more than likely miss the first month of the season and should be hampered all year. I'd wait until 2007 to select Edwards.As for the others, Ward is a Top 10 WR with Kennison and Smith Top 20. I see no reason to see many problems starting those three. Older wide recivers traditionally do better than the young bucks with upside. Ward won't come cheap, but I'd take the other two any day of the week. I doubt the wheels fall off like some people might be suggesting.

In a redraft, Edwards is not an upside pick this year. He will more than likely miss the first month of the season and should be hampered all year. I'd wait until 2007 to select Edwards.
I understand the risks, as do many I assume. Which will make braylon fall. If he's my #3 backup WR, and I can afford (no bye week issues the first few weeks) to roster him until healthy, IMO he'll be an assett after he returns.If he goes high due to name recognition, I'm in total agreement. As a late round flier, I'll take the risk.

The Rams may not pass quite as much as in the past and Kevin Curtis might get some more playing time, but I still think Bruce can rank in the Top 20-25 range.
I agree, I traded my 2.6 pick for him as insurance for the strong possibility that Javon Walker sits out the year (my other receivers are D. Jackson and Burleson).Bruce should be a great #3 WR and probably a very serviceable #2.

I guess if you had two great RBs that could work. I just wouldn't be very excited those guys starting every week.
This is the type of thinking that my draft style tries to take advantage of. No one is excited about starting Hines Ward, Rod Smith and Ennie Kennison until they realize that's 50x better than their corps of Marvin Harrison, Andre Johnson and Ashley Lelie.Generally speaking...I will not take the #1 WR off the board.Mid-late 2nd-3rd round WRs make great #1s.Buy WRs in bulk starting in round 6.I am not afraid to not take my first WR until round 5-6 if that's the way things play out, however I like to find a WR as good as the guy going #8 overall in the 2nd-3rd round to pair with my solid vets.It may not look pretty, but my teams do not get style points.

I'll stir this up.

How about Pinkston.

I see him fighting it out to be 1B in PHI.

Brown got a lot of looks because no one else was available.

Also Keyshawn is a good TD target even if Smith stays okay all season.
Meshawn has had 21 TD catches in his last 368 receptions or 1 every 17.5 receptions. Steve Smith has had 25 TD receptions in 242 receptions since 2003 (including the postseason) or 1 every 9.7 receptions.

I'm not sure Smith is going to lose out on many TD to Johnson.

One of the staff posted a study on WR's who changed teams. As I recall, their production was not that good the first year, but improved considerably the second. Which makes people like Mason, and K Rob, and Muhsin potential steals.

One of the staff posted a study on WR's who changed teams. As I recall, their production was not that good the first year, but improved considerably the second. Which makes people like Mason, and K Rob, and Muhsin potential steals.
The better question IMO is the connection with their QB.Moose has to improve simply because Griese > Orton

Mason, if McNair hits Baltimore should be huge

K-Rob, well, he has Brad Johnson and a new offense. Good potential, but of the 3, he's the guy I'm lowest on.

Why could Coles only get 950 yards and 1 td while with the Redskins while Santana Moss (same qb) grabbed 500 more yards and 9 td's-while catching 6 fewer passes?

At a certain point it gets ridiculous to say player x can be good, so long as everything falls into place. I'd much rather have Mason, K-Rob or a handful of other guys who don't require perfection to perform. Who knows, Coles may burn me this season by my refusal to pick him. I can't imagine how it would happen when they have no qb.

ETA in ppr leagues he's much more valuable.
Fair enough, but I think the QB situation has been so bad for Coles the last two years, and he has still gotten open and caught a ton or balls. K-Rob simply folded - Coles is a much less risky player. As for Mason, neither the jets nor the skins have seen a QB as good as Steve McNair in decades. But anyway, in ppr leagues, Coles has a great deal of value b/c his floor is relatively high - 70ish catches for 800-900 yards 3-4TDs, while his ceiling is very nice - 90ish catches for 1200ish yards and 8TDs. If Coles' low end makes him agood first backup WR in your league, he's a great player to take a chance on.

Users who are viewing this thread