What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikes Likely to Let Onterrio Smith Go (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
According to a league source, troubled Minnesota Vikings running back Onterrio Smith will be released when his suspension is up in May. It's unfortunate that Smith couldn't stay out of trouble because nobody has ever doubted his athletic ability, just his character and decision-making.
Link from The Blogger

Will be a great pick up for some lucky team. This guy has some real talent if he can keep his crap together.

maybe he could go to the Packers and play with Davenpoo. then they would have a guy famous for his piss and a guy famous for his poo.

Last edited by a moderator:
This must be a mandate coming down from Zygi; Onterrio is a huge PR risk (in lieu of the stadium) and the personnel guys cannot justify Onterrio's worth with the likes of Chester and Mewelde already on the roster.

Feel bad for Onterrio, but at least he was given a chance out of college.

This must be a mandate coming down from Zygi; Onterrio is a huge PR risk (in lieu of the stadium) and the personnel guys cannot justify Onterrio's worth with the likes of Chester and Mewelde already on the roster.

:confused:

They guy is very physically gifted and he didn't capitalize on it. I often feel bad for these individuals. :shrug:

Yeah, I often feel bad for them too. They sign a multi year/million dollar contract while they cant follow the rules and constantly break laws. I work my ### off for ####ty money and don't get anything for free. Poor Onterio. WHAAAAA

They guy is very physically gifted and he didn't capitalize on it. I often feel bad for these individuals. :shrug:
:shrug: He had all the chances in the world and threw each one of them away. I often don't feel bad for people who've thrown away chances like this...

:shrug: He had all the chances in the world and threw each one of them away. I often don't feel bad for people who've thrown away chances like this...
I like to see people live up to their full potential and when they don't, I feel bad for them. I think your interpretation of 'feel bad' is empathy which is different from my interpretation of 'feel bad' which is more dissapointment.

I feel as bad for Whiz as I do for Barry Bonds.As in not at all.
I assume you mean a feeling dissapointment and not a feeling of empathy. 'Feeling bad' is somewhat an ambigious expression.

Shanahan will take a look at him.
Why? The guy is one strike away from a ban. No way I'd want to count on that guy.
Denver was looking into Rickey (and last I heard they still were at least talking to Miami even with his appeal going on). I see little difference in the potential suspension situations.

Why? The guy is one strike away from a ban. No way I'd want to count on that guy.
Denver was looking into Rickey (and last I heard they still were at least talking to Miami even with his appeal going on). I see little difference in the potential suspension situations.
But a larger difference in talent.

Just how much $$ do you believe Smith will demand? If he's smart, he will be willing to play for cheap this year and prove he's worth something. Then, a team may be more willing next year to sign him for an incentive laden larger contract. If he's suspended for another year, the team won't have to pay the incentives. The key for the team who signs him is to consider him to be plan B or C, not plan A.

:shrug: He had all the chances in the world and threw pi$$ed each one of them away. I often don't feel bad for people who've thrown away chances like this...
:goodposting: (with the edit)

It will cost very little for teams to take a look at SOFA (great nickname godsbrother) - if he has his head straightened out he could be interesting in FF terms at least.

the first team that came to mind... he has raider written all over him...

bucs have been known to take on character risks (maybe raidfers influence on allen & gruden :) )...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any team willing to take a chance, a third round choice even, on a troubled kid :MauriceClarett: i think would have no problem rolling the dice on a talent like the 'Whizzinator'.

Will be a great pick up for some lucky team. This guy has some real talent if he can keep his crap together.

maybe he could go to the Packers and play with Davenpoo. then they would have a guy famous for his piss and a guy famous for his poo.
I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THAT ONE I THINK I CRACKED A RIB! :lmao: :goodposting:

I think Denver could be very interested in Smith. He will come cheap. They still have Bell if he is a total bum. He will be low risk high gain for Shanny and he loves that.

Maybe the Vikings will keep him after all.

St. Paul Pioneer Press

As is, Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said he is comfortable with his depth at running back.

"If we had to go to battle tomorrow, we'd be ready," Bevell said, mentioning starter Chester Taylor, Mewelde Moore, Ciatrick Fason and Adimchinobe Echemandu.

But Vikings owner Zygi Wilf remained confident that the Vikings could bring back another player: Onterrio Smith.

Currently fulfilling a yearlong suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy, Smith is eligible for reinstatement next month, and Wilf said the Vikings could be inclined to give him another opportunity.

"The way this coaching staff responds to players, this would be the right environment for him to move his career forward," Wilf said. "But all that's subject to his reinstatement."

Wilf also said it would be important for the Vikings to feel comfortable with Smith, both mentally and physically, before inviting him back to the team.

Smith has more career touchdowns (nine) than Moore (four) and Taylor (seven).

St. Paul Pioneer PressSmith is eligible for reinstatement next month
Unfortunately he has to apply for reinstatement, and after a year with nothing else to do but...
...lift weights and train, study film and playbooks, and attend church three times a week, he should be primed to make an impact and be a model teammate and citizen.
Or smoke pot and play video games. Choice has always been his and his alone. No news is good news because he hasnt gotten into additional trouble but there's also no news that would indicate he has made the one decision that could revive his career.

Unfortunately he has to apply for reinstatement, and after a year with nothing else to do but...
...lift weights and train, study film and playbooks, and attend church three times a week, he should be primed to make an impact and be a model teammate and citizen.
Or smoke pot and play video games. Choice has always been his and his alone. No news is good news because he hasnt gotten into additional trouble but there's also no news that would indicate he has made the one decision that could revive his career.
You beat me to it, Coach :thumbup:

No news is good news because he hasnt gotten into additional trouble but there's also no news that would indicate he has made the one decision that could revive his career.
My memory is bad, but wasn't he arrested or sued for sexual assault last November or so?

No news is good news because he hasnt gotten into additional trouble but there's also no news that would indicate he has made the one decision that could revive his career.
My memory is bad, but wasn't he arrested or sued for sexual assault last November or so?
he was accused, but I am pretty sure it was dropped.

I did some digging. The event supposedly happened in June 2004, Smith was notified of the lawsuit in May 2005, and Smith had not responded by November 2005 when the suit was filed. At least that's what I can put together from these links. I found nothing newer updating the story

KSTP.com

RTSports.com

StarTribune.com

People can change. He knows if he screws up again he wil lose his job and millions. He isn't an idiot.

People can change. He knows if he screws up again he wil lose his job and millions. He isn't an idiot.
God, I really hope this was :sarcasm:

It's funny that Shanny is mentioned in this thread.

Two years ago nobody understood why Tice wasn't turning his running game over to his best RB - O.Smith. Turns out they knew all along that he had a problem and couldn't be counted on over the long haul.

Back to Shanny. Another guy with a talented RB - T.Bell - who the coach won't turn over the starting RB spot to. Makes me wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread