What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Vikings at Lions** (-3.5, 46) 1:00 (1 Viewer)

It's going to be sad to see Hunter walk for nothing as this franchise overvalues a slightly above average Cousins. But those are the breaks when team management should all be in concussion protocol. The Curse of Favre continues.

I don't think they can win with their QB by quarter options but it wouldn't surprise me if they did to get a worse draft pick. That's Vikings football, Skol?

It's going to be sad to see Hunter walk for nothing as this franchise overvalues a slightly above average Cousins.

Hey, bud. How are you doing?

Hey, you follow it more closely than I do, but aren't we seeing what missing Cousins means? Like, you could have three Hunters across the defensive line and QB play would still sink you. Whereas if you sign Cousins and draft an OLB or defensive lineman on a rookie deal you have a chance to compete, IMO.

That's just me, though. Vikings fans gonna know their team better than I do.

I wonder what @Gally and @Andy Dufresne and @BigJim® think of that.

Does anyone know what Dan Campbell plans to do with star players today? Is he going all out to get the #2 seed (I know they need help to get there), or is he planning to rest some guys. I'm wondering specifically about A. St. Brown for DFS purposes.

Does anyone know what Dan Campbell plans to do with star players today? Is he going all out to get the #2 seed (I know they need help to get there), or is he planning to rest some guys. I'm wondering specifically about A. St. Brown for DFS purposes.
As far as I've heard it's business as usual

It's going to be sad to see Hunter walk for nothing as this franchise overvalues a slightly above average Cousins.

Hey, you follow it more closely than I do, but aren't we seeing what missing Cousins means? Like, you could have three Hunters across the defensive line and QB play would still sink you. Whereas if you sign Cousins and draft an OLB or defensive lineman on a rookie deal you have a chance to compete, IMO.

I don't know why you'd be excited to break the bank for a 30 year old defensive lineman with an injury history. He'll sign a big enough contact somewhere where the Vikings will likely get a 3rd round compensatory - not great, but not nothing.

Neither am I fired up about re-signing Cousins off of an Achilles injury. He gives them a slightly better chance of getting to 11 wins and the ability to get bounced in the first round.

KAO's first two drafts have not been very good. This is a team wheezing it's way to awfulness. Neither signing is going to fix that.

What sucks is that KOC will pay the price it. And I think he's actually a great head coach.

Campbell said the starters are playing.
That’s in his nature. But I do wonder if they’ll rest in the second half.

Campbell said the starters are playing.
That’s in his nature. But I do wonder if they’ll rest in the second half.
I suppose if they get out to a massive lead and the Vikings are in give up mode but otherwise I doubt it. Why play just a half? The 2nd seed would be a nice advantage over the 3rd seed.

Of course the lions play before Dallas

I missed this in the schedule and I think it does play a role. If Campbell knows going in that he's locked into a particular seed, he probably can't in good conscience go in and not rest his guys. Since he doesn't know, the decision is made for him, really.

I missed this in the schedule and I think it does play a role. If Campbell knows going in that he's locked into a particular seed, he probably can't in good conscience go in and not rest his guys. Since he doesn't know, the decision is made for him, really.
Fair enough. The question is really just locking in the second home game. I think if they get a 17+ point lead they’ll rest the offense at least.

Fair enough. The question is really just locking in the second home game. I think if they get a 17+ point lead they’ll rest the offense at least.
No question. But if the game is in doubt the starters are going to stay in the game imo.

Lions are p.o.'d.
I don't care who plays or who doesn't they want to take out some frustration.
It's The Vikings who happen to be the foil...

Motor City- 33
Skol- 20

I'm wondering specifically about A. St. Brown for DFS purposes.
In addition to Campbell saying the starters are playing, ARSB is mad as hell over not being a pro bowler...and we've seen what he does when he is motivated by being overlooked. Personally I expect a big game from ARSB.

I've seen the defense, a 17 point lead is not safe.

The 2nd seed would be a nice advantage over the 3rd seed.

Aren't the Cowboys going to be the second seed if they win?
Yes. Of course the lions play before Dallas but I’d assume the cowboys beat the commanders.
I think they need Dallas and Philly to both lose.
Correct. It is highly unlikely but it's the NFL, you never know. The team would look pretty dumb resting players, losing and then watching Philly and Dallas get upset.

I'm wondering specifically about A. St. Brown for DFS purposes.
In addition to Campbell saying the starters are playing, ARSB is mad as hell over not being a pro bowler...and we've seen what he does when he is motivated by being overlooked. Personally I expect a big game from ARSB.
I paired Goff with ARSB in DFS. Even if they play a half, they are probably a big reason for the lead. Being in a dome doesn’t hurt, looking at the weather around the league.

I'm not as up on the financial situation to agree with a 'Hunter or Cousins' decision point. Maybe it's the case, maybe not. If the team can't afford a good DE and a middle of the road QB contract, money being wasted elsewhere is more the problem than these two guys.

Cousins is not just slightly above average, period. He's upper echelon. However, time has proven the team is incapable of finding a consistent pocket for the pocket passing QB they invested in. If the Vikes pay Cousins, that is unlikely to change, but 75% of his capabilities is better than 100% of anything else they've put on the field post-Culpepper. That also equates to getting at least 75% out of recent early draft investments Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson (trade).

Not resigning Cousins, 'who then?' is always the question. This team has been terrible drafting QB for decades. What bad QBs they do draft are thrown to wolves behind the same OL that hamstrings even a quality QB like Cousins. I have a bad feeling they could forgo improving trenches and take a desperate reach in 2024 for a guy like McCarthy, who is the worst match from this class for a team with inferior OL. If the initial post is accurate, that could result in keeping Hunter, but risk of frittering/ruining yet another 1st round QB reach and getting 40%-50% out of recent early draft investments Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson while that slow trainwreck manifests over the next 3 years.

I'd draw analogy to the recent use of many early round draft picks on CB/S, only to hang them out to dry behind a withering DL.

The point? For nearly two decades, the annual decisions on the table are not as important as the decision to ignore the spine of a football team (trenches) perpetually. Everything else is somewhat meaningless in a big picture view.

I'm not as up on the financial situation to agree with a 'Hunter or Cousins' decision point. Maybe it's the case, maybe not. If the team can't afford a good DE and a middle of the road QB contract, money being wasted elsewhere is more the problem than these two guys.

Cousins is not just slightly above average, period. He's upper echelon. However, time has proven the team is incapable of finding a consistent pocket for the pocket passing QB they invested in. If the Vikes pay Cousins, that is unlikely to change, but 75% of his capabilities is better than 100% of anything else they've put on the field post-Culpepper. That also equates to getting at least 75% out of recent early draft investments Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson (trade).

Not resigning Cousins, 'who then?' is always the question. This team has been terrible drafting QB for decades. What bad QBs they do draft are thrown to wolves behind the same OL that hamstrings even a quality QB like Cousins. I have a bad feeling they could forgo improving trenches and take a desperate reach in 2024 for a guy like McCarthy, who is the worst match from this class for a team with inferior OL. If the initial post is accurate, that could result in keeping Hunter, but risk of frittering/ruining yet another 1st round QB reach and getting 40%-50% out of recent early draft investments Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson while that slow trainwreck manifests over the next 3 years.

I'd draw analogy to the recent use of many early round draft picks on CB/S, only to hang them out to dry behind a withering DL.

The point? For nearly two decades, the annual decisions on the table are not as important as the decision to ignore the spine of a football team (trenches) perpetually. Everything else is somewhat meaningless in a big picture view.
Cousins has not been the issue and you ate seeing that with the injury. I am all for resigning him and think the injury may help get a slight discount. He isn't the type of QB that an achilles injury will affect his game.

As far as Hunter goes...I love his game and would like to keep him but I think he is replaceable. I have no idea what his market will be but I wouldn't expect it to be too crazy.

MIN has many reasons to lose the game. Draft position, last place schedule. They're current drafting 12th with a chance to move up a couple of slots.

MIN has many reasons to lose the game. Draft position, last place schedule. They're current drafting 12th with a chance to move up a couple of slots.

Sure but there's also dozens of players on that team who have their careers to play for, financial incentives to play for, etc.

Sure but there's also dozens of players on that team who have their careers to play for, financial incentives to play for, etc.
Plus Brian Flores will make sure the defense puts pressure on Goff. Flores will be a head coach again. The MIN defense improved from very bad to middle of the pack in 2023. I think DET has too many weapons plus a great oline, pff rates them #2 behind PHI.

As far as Hunter goes...I love his game and would like to keep him but I think he is replaceable. I have no idea what his market will be but I wouldn't expect it to be too crazy.
An elite productive edge rusher like Danielle Hunter will have a lot of teams lining up to sign him. They are very hard to find.

As a Lions fan I would love to see him opposite Aiden Hutchinson. Should he become available, I'd love to see Brad Holmes go after him.

The 2nd seed would be a nice advantage over the 3rd seed.

Aren't the Cowboys going to be the second seed if they win?
Yes. Of course the lions play before Dallas but I’d assume the cowboys beat the commanders.
I think they need Dallas and Philly to both lose.
Correct. It is highly unlikely but it's the NFL, you never know. The team would look pretty dumb resting players, losing and then watching Philly and Dallas get upset.
Also doesn't seem like its in Campbell's DNA to rest players, so I think the Lions likely play their starters all the way through. Maybe they mix in more Craig Reynolds or something, but I'm not expecting anyone to play like a series or something.

Users who are viewing this thread