What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikings putting their hopes on Brad Johnson (1 Viewer)

Jules Winnfield

Footballguy
Are the Viking faithful in here happy and secure knowing that Brad Johnson is the QB for this year? He'll be 38 when the season starts. He doesn't have much left inthe tank so do you think the Vikes are looking QB in the draft OR will they make a move for Schaub (Are there any other back-ups that are worth mentioning?) OR is Aaron Brooks a possibility?

Thanks now. I'll hang up and listen.

I think the Vikes put an exclamation point on their offseason with their large offering to Ben Leber. :thumbdown:

* Overpay for Chester Taylor

* Lose the ability to use the transaction tag on Brian Williams and net nothing from his departure

* Wave goodbye to their franchise QB (arguable...I know) for a 2nd-round pick. For reference on the Vikings' ability to "cash-in" on 2nd-round picks, here are their last nine 2nd-round picks: Marcus Johnson, Dontarrious Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith, Willie Howard, Fred Robbins, Michael Boireau and Jim Kleinsasser.

IMO, the Vikes best move has been their play on Hutch. The so-called "poison pill" in their offering was genius.

Vikings draft a QB in round 1. With the recent QB signings one will surely fall to them. One could reach their pick at 17 with the teams in front of them, or they could easily package their 1st and Miami's 2nd to move up. Some team will take that deal if Minny presents it to them on draft day. Minny walks out of the first 2 rounds with a QB... book it.

Vikings draft a QB in round 1. With the recent QB signings one will surely fall to them. One could reach their pick at 17 with the teams in front of them, or they could easily package their 1st and Miami's 2nd to move up. Some team will take that deal if Minny presents it to them on draft day. Minny walks out of the first 2 rounds with a QB... book it.
I'm thinking more and more that this is likely to happen.

I'm thinking more and more that this is likely to happen.
Could very well be according to Cris Carter... "I recently talked to Brad Childress, Minnesota's new head coach, and he said the Vikings are thinking about possibly moving up and drafting a quarterback. If they do, they'll have Brad Johnson to start the season and can begin to groom their new quarterback for the future."Link

I think the Vikes put an exclamation point on their offseason with their large offering to Ben Leber. :thumbdown:

* Lose the ability to use the transaction tag on Brian Williams and net nothing from his departure

* Wave goodbye to their franchise QB (arguable...I know) for a 2nd-round pick. For reference on the Vikings' ability to "cash-in" on 2nd-round picks, here are their last nine 2nd-round picks: Marcus Johnson, Dontarrious Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith, Willie Howard, Fred Robbins, Michael Boireau and Jim Kleinsasser.

IMO, the Vikes best move has been their play on Hutch. The so-called "poison pill" in their offering was genius.
* Overpaying for Chester Taylor? I think he was one of the marque running backs available in free agency, in large part he doesn't have all the mileage of a Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis or Edgerrin James. And I am not sure they paid all that much for him; I will have to look at the numbers again.* Lose the ability to transition tage Brian Williams? They didn't lose anything, they simply removed the transition tage from Williams because he did not want to be with the Vikings. Keeping the tag on him sends a bad vibe through the roster.

* Again, keeping a disgruntled player who is your marquee player and quarterback is like keeping a ticking time-bomb in your home; better to clean house and move forward instead of closing your eyes and plugging your ears.

* Overpaying for Chester Taylor? I think he was one of the marque running backs available in free agency, in large part he doesn't have all the mileage of a Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis or Edgerrin James. And I am not sure they paid all that much for him; I will have to look at the numbers again.* Lose the ability to transition tage Brian Williams? They didn't lose anything, they simply removed the transition tage from Williams because he did not want to be with the Vikings. Keeping the tag on him sends a bad vibe through the roster.

* Again, keeping a disgruntled player who is your marquee player and quarterback is like keeping a ticking time-bomb in your home; better to clean house and move forward instead of closing your eyes and plugging your ears.
* 4-year, $14.1mm with $5.6 guaranteed. It's obviously not Alexander or Edge money but...let's face it...Taylor is not exactly Alexander or Edge. For comparative purposes, Mike Anderson signed a 4-year, $8mm deal with the Ravens.* The new CBA agreement forced the Vikes to remove the tag. They did not voluntarily remove it.

* Culpepper was disgruntled, but what came first...the chicken or the egg?? Who angered who in this whole mess?? I highly doubt Culpepper kicked in the front door of the Vikes front office and demanded a record-breaking contract. It just doesn't make sense. Somebody angered somebody and I'm not sure flinched first.

Last edited by a moderator:

:goodposting: I'll add these as well...lose your starting saftey (Chavous), then miss out on his possible replacement.

Make NO bids for any of the permium free agents out there other than POSSIBILY making a guard the highest paid interior lineman in football.

Get even more money below the cap by trading Culpepper, and spend almost none of it. (I could be wrong on this, not a capologist, but it seems that since they won't have to pay the 6 million, they'd have that to spend, correct?)

Oh Yeah, they signed a whiney kicker who can't get the ball to the 10 yard line on kickoffs...

So far they've been embarressing...at least with Red you knew that they were going to be cheap... :thumbdown:

I'll add these as well...lose your starting saftey (Chavous), then miss out on his possible replacement.
:no: Offord, until he got hurt, was outplaying Chavous. Chavous is overrated and would probably have backed up Offord this year.
Make NO bids for any of the permium free agents out there other than POSSIBILY making a guard the highest paid interior lineman in football.
Who should they have offered money to? People seem to be SEVERELY overrating the abilities of the available free agents. The only one that I can think of is Edgerrin James. Maybe Will Witherspoon. But players have to be interested in the team as much or more than the team is interested in the player.
Get even more money below the cap by trading Culpepper, and spend almost none of it. (I could be wrong on this, not a capologist, but it seems that since they won't have to pay the 6 million, they'd have that to spend, correct?)
The trade hasn't even completed yet and you're complaining that they haven't already spent the money that they don't really have? :loco:
Oh Yeah, they signed a whiney kicker who can't get the ball to the 10 yard line on kickoffs...
The Longwell signing is a mystery to me too.
So far they've been embarressing...at least with Red you knew that they were going to be cheap... :thumbdown:
Chester Taylor is going to be better than most think. I have no idea about Ben Leber.

I'll add these as well...lose your starting saftey (Chavous), then miss out on his possible replacement.
:no: Offord, until he got hurt, was outplaying Chavous. Chavous is overrated and would probably have backed up Offord this year.
Who should they have offered money to? People seem to be SEVERELY overrating the abilities of the available free agents. The only one that I can think of is Edgerrin James. Maybe Will Witherspoon. But players have to be interested in the team as much or more than the team is interested in the player.
Get even more money below the cap by trading Culpepper, and spend almost none of it.  (I could be wrong on this, not a capologist, but it seems that since they won't have to pay the 6 million, they'd have that to spend, correct?)
The trade hasn't even completed yet and you're complaining that they haven't already spent the money that they don't really have? :loco:
The Longwell signing is a mystery to me too.
Chester Taylor is going to be better than most think. I have no idea about Ben Leber.
No, i'm mainly complaining that they were 30 million+ under the cap before the trade, now they've got even more to play with and that haven't done a damn thing with it. Witherspoon would have been a great signing, perhaps Archuleta, certainly Bentley...wouldn't that be a nice 4/5ths of an O line?As it sits, unless they make a deal for a QB, you enter the season with a 38 YO as your starter with at least 20 million left under the cap. Shades of Red McCombs...

No, i'm mainly complaining that they were 30 million+ under the cap before the trade, now they've got even more to play with and that haven't done a damn thing with it. Witherspoon would have been a great signing, perhaps Archuleta, certainly Bentley...wouldn't that be a nice 4/5ths of an O line?

As it sits, unless they make a deal for a QB, you enter the season with a 38 YO as your starter with at least 20 million left under the cap. Shades of Red McCombs...
I understand. But you don't spend $30 Million just to spend it.I'm still learning what's involved in this Tampa 2 thing. Would Witherspoon have been a good fit for it? I don't know.

I do know, that Archuleta was WAY overpaid. He has back issues and just isn't as good as he was earlier in his career.

Bentley would have been good. But he was adamant about playing center and with Birk returning, that would not have been an option.

The more I look, the more I just don't know where they SHOULD spend the money. I would have liked James big time, but was he even interested in playing here? I'd heard that he wasn't.

No, i'm mainly complaining that they were 30 million+ under the cap before the trade, now they've got even more to play with and that haven't done a damn thing with it. Witherspoon would have been a great signing, perhaps Archuleta, certainly Bentley...wouldn't that be a nice 4/5ths of an O line?

As it sits, unless they make a deal for a QB, you enter the season with a 38 YO as your starter with at least 20 million left under the cap. Shades of Red McCombs...
Archuleta would be a downgrade from Offord. And I don't think Bentley and Witherspoon had any interest in coming to Minnesota.

I'm confused. All Brad Johnson did after taking over for C-pep was go, what, 7-2?

And now he's going to be in an offense much better suited to his skills, an offense, I might add, that he won a Super Bowl in.

:confused:

I'm confused. All Brad Johnson did after taking over for C-pep was go, what, 7-2?

And now he's going to be in an offense much better suited to his skills, an offense, I might add, that he won a Super Bowl in.

Not this again... Quarterback play at Minnesota hardly changed when Johnson took over. The only thing that changed is the schedule.

*VERY* :goodposting: I think your listing of Viking 2nd round picks speaks volumes. I find it disgusting to read people speculating about packaging the Dolphins 2nd, the Vikes 2nd and the Vikes 1st (and maybe a future 1st) to replace Culpepper, knowing all the surrounding talent we could have drafted with those picks rather than trading him, only to turn around and overpay to replace him with a big question mark. :X

If Seattle matches the offer to Hutch, I'm going to be looking longingly at tall bridges.

I think the Vikes put an exclamation point on their offseason with their large offering to Ben Leber.   :thumbdown:

* Wave goodbye to their franchise QB (arguable...I know) for a 2nd-round pick.  For reference on the Vikings' ability to "cash-in" on 2nd-round picks, here are their last nine 2nd-round picks: Marcus Johnson, Dontarrious Thomas, EJ Henderson, Raonall Smith, Willie Howard, Fred Robbins, Michael Boireau and Jim Kleinsasser.

IMO, the Vikes best move has been their play on Hutch.  The so-called "poison pill" in their offering was genius.
*VERY* :goodposting: I think your listing of Viking 2nd round picks speaks volumes. I find it disgusting to read people speculating about packaging the Dolphins 2nd, the Vikes 2nd and the Vikes 1st (and maybe a future 1st) to replace Culpepper, knowing all the surrounding talent we could have drafted with those picks rather than trading him only to turn around and overpay to replace him with a big question mark. :X

If Seattle matches the offer to Hutch, I'm going to be looking longingly at tall bridges.
None of those pics were made by the current staff. They are why the old staff is the old staff.Get a grip people. The Vikings were NOT "just this close" from being contenders for a Super Bowl. They were and are a VERY long way.

Red McCombs running this team on the cheap for 5 years is not going to be fixed in one off season. The Daniel Snyder method of purchasing championships has been proven invalid.

Not this again... Quarterback play at Minnesota hardly changed when Johnson took over. The only thing that changed is the schedule.
Hardly changed? Johnson threw twice as many picks as TD's too?Please. Johnson made better calls at the line, made better reads, hi-to-low, he had the team in and out of the huddle much quicker... I could go on, but you get the point. The quarterback play was much better when Johnson took over, irrelevant of opponent.

No, i'm mainly complaining that they were 30 million+ under the cap before the trade, now they've got even more to play with and that haven't done a damn thing with it.  Witherspoon would have been a great signing, perhaps Archuleta, certainly Bentley...wouldn't that be a nice 4/5ths of an O line?

As it sits, unless they make a deal for a QB, you enter the season with a 38 YO as your starter with at least 20 million left under the cap.  Shades of Red McCombs...
I understand. But you don't spend $30 Million just to spend it.I'm still learning what's involved in this Tampa 2 thing. Would Witherspoon have been a good fit for it? I don't know.

I do know, that Archuleta was WAY overpaid. He has back issues and just isn't as good as he was earlier in his career.

Bentley would have been good. But he was adamant about playing center and with Birk returning, that would not have been an option.

The more I look, the more I just don't know where they SHOULD spend the money. I would have liked James big time, but was he even interested in playing here? I'd heard that he wasn't.
I'm a players guy, meaning if a guy can play football, he'll learn a system...Witherspoon would have been fine here. As far as Archuleta is concerned, maybe he's got a bad back, but he obviously passed the physical...now your left with a guy (Offord) who took 3-4 years to get to a point where he could contribute in places other than special teams. Now you throw a whole new system at him that he might or might not be able to learn.Is Birk returning? Probably, but we heard the same things last year and saw how that all turned out...

My point is that you SHOULD spend the money if you have it, you can't carry it over to the next season. Anything under the cap goes into Zigi's pocket.

I'll take Dan Snyder and his wild ways any day of the week over this nonsense...more money in Wilf's pocket means nothing to me as a fan.

None of those pics were made by the current staff. They are why the old staff is the old staff.

[
Wait a minute, Studwell remains director of college scouting and Paul Wiggin remains director of pro-personnel. To blanketly respond that a different cook is in the kitchen when the ingredients are still being assessed, and recipes written, by the same people is a tad misleading. Much of the same college scouting group remains in place, and basically you're presuming that Childress/Foley are going to defy the recommendations of college scouting for things to be any different.

Its best for the Vikings to trade Daunte now before all the teams in the league finds out what a horrible QB he is. 2nd round pick is better than nothing.

None of those pics were made by the current staff.  They are why the old staff is the old staff.

[
Wait a minute, Studwell remains director of college scouting and Paul Wiggin remains director of pro-personnel. To blanketly respond that a different cook is in the kitchen when the ingredients are still being assessed, and recipes written, by the same people is a tad misleading. Much of the same college scouting group remains in place, and basically you're presuming that Childress/Foley are going to defy the recommendations of college scouting for things to be any different.
You're assuming that the previous regime followed the advice of their scouting department. :shrug:

Hardly changed? Johnson threw twice as many picks as TD's too?

Please. Johnson made better calls at the line, made better reads, hi-to-low, he had the team in and out of the huddle much quicker... I could go on, but you get the point. The quarterback play was much better when Johnson took over, irrelevant of opponent.
Johnsons' numbers against playoff teams were about equal to Culpepper's numbers against playoff teams.Vice a versa, Culpepper's numbers against crappy teams were about equal to Johnson's numbers agaist crappy teams.

What twists the stats and make them jump out is that Culpepper started 7 games against 5 playoff caliber teams and Johnson started 9 games against 2 playoff caliber teams.

No, i'm mainly complaining that they were 30 million+ under the cap before the trade, now they've got even more to play with and that haven't done a damn thing with it.  Witherspoon would have been a great signing, perhaps Archuleta, certainly Bentley...wouldn't that be a nice 4/5ths of an O line?

As it sits, unless they make a deal for a QB, you enter the season with a 38 YO as your starter with at least 20 million left under the cap.  Shades of Red McCombs...
I understand. But you don't spend $30 Million just to spend it.
Not to be blunt but why not?? The most productive players cost the most coin. If you're not spending the coin, you're not getting the players.

Not to be blunt but why not?? The most productive players cost the most coin. If you're not spending the coin, you're not getting the players.
I asked it before and I'll ask it again. Who should they spend the money on? Witherspoon and Bentley expressed little to no interest in coming to Minnesota.

None of those pics were made by the current staff.  They are why the old staff is the old staff.

[
You're assuming that the previous regime followed the advice of their scouting department. :shrug:
And you're assuming they didn't? They paid these guys to defy their scouting reports? :lmao: I think I'll take my assumption over yours, thanks. :X

[
And you're assuming they didn't? They paid these guys to defy their scouting reports? :lmao: I think I'll take my assumption over yours, thanks. :X
I actually think there are some good points on both your parts, but a more significant piece (or missing piece) in regards to Viking draft picks has to be coaching.Just look at how worthless Chris Hovan was until he got to Tampa and received some quality coaching. The Vikings could make the best picks in the World, but if they don't have the teachers to take them to the next level, the best picks in the World will turn out to be busts.

I actually think there are some good points on both your parts, but a more significant piece (or missing piece) in regards to Viking draft picks has to be coaching.

Just look at how worthless Chris Hovan was until he got to Tampa and received some quality coaching. The Vikings could make the best picks in the World, but if they don't have the teachers to take them to the next level, the best picks in the World will turn out to be busts.
:goodposting:

And you're assuming they didn't?  They paid these guys to defy their scouting reports? :lmao:
Happens ALL the time.
With all due respect, you are reaching to make the world a place that makes sense to you. They drafted crap and I'm certain the guys in our college scouting had a hand in that. Did they recommend Tice reach for Raonall Smith (Washington connection) or TE Dugan (Maryland connection)? Probably not. That doesn't mean they didn't highly rate all the other players selected by the Vikings, or that they rated other players highly and Tice had authority to veto. I don't think for a second that Studwell was that impotent within the organization or the war room on draft day. By all acounts, the buck stopped with Studwell come draft day.

You Minn fans should stop bashing the Taylor signing. He's getting paid arond $3.5M for four years. What do you think a 1st round rookie would have been paid? With Taylor you get a guy who can run, catch, and pass block. He came to your team to play, not for the money. I think I read somewhere that BMore offered him more money to stay. I'm not saying he's LT, but with that improved line of yours, he's going to be very good. Your getting a really good player plus a solid citizen plus a good verteran clubhouse guy who just wants to play. I wish he was still a Raven.

You Minn fans should stop bashing the Taylor signing. He's getting paid arond $3.5M for four years. What do you think a 1st round rookie would have been paid? With Taylor you get a guy who can run, catch, and pass block. He came to your team to play, not for the money. I think I read somewhere that BMore offered him more money to stay. I'm not saying he's LT, but with that improved line of yours, he's going to be very good. Your getting a really good player plus a solid citizen plus a good verteran clubhouse guy who just wants to play. I wish he was still a Raven.
:shrug: This is how I see it too, not sure why people are down on the Chester Taylor signing.

I asked it before and I'll ask it again. Who should they spend the money on? Witherspoon and Bentley expressed little to no interest in coming to Minnesota.
If the club had evidenced more interest in THEM, perhaps it would have been a different outcome. Everyone likes to be courted...to me, it looks like the Vikes courted the ugly girl in the corner instead of the cheerleader.I repeat again, I have NO interest in Zigi walking away with an extra 20 million or so...i'll take the Snyder approach that spends the money and sorts out the mistakes later.

:shrug: This is how I see it too, not sure why people are down on the Chester Taylor signing.
Chester Taylor I think will be a very solid player for the Vikes, Baltimore wanted to keep him and even paid a roster bonus to him last year in order to do so BUT he is an unknown players but I think less of an unknown than a rookie.

If the club had evidenced more interest in THEM, perhaps it would have been a different outcome. Everyone likes to be courted...to me, it looks like the Vikes courted the ugly girl in the corner instead of the cheerleader.I repeat again, I have NO interest in Zigi walking away with an extra 20 million or so...i'll take the Snyder approach that spends the money and sorts out the mistakes later.
There would really be no shame for the Vikings to sign Archuleta only to see him get cut in August because he is not good enough to make the team! :goodposting: sign'em now, sort'em out later.

Anyone else hope that Patrick Ramsey ends up here? Hes young and is apparantly holding out for a starting gig (note that he wont even visit Cincinatti). The Vikes could be a nice fit, especially since theyre too far down in the first round to select one of the big three QB's.

Matt Shaub is the other obvious option, but hes likely too expensive. Ramsey is a great low-risk high reward guy that can also be a perfect foil to aging Brad Johnson.

Anyone else hope that Patrick Ramsey ends up here? Hes young and is apparantly holding out for a starting gig (note that he wont even visit Cincinatti). The Vikes could be a nice fit, especially since theyre too far down in the first round to select one of the big three QB's.

Matt Shaub is the other obvious option, but hes likely too expensive. Ramsey is a great low-risk high reward guy that can also be a perfect foil to aging Brad Johnson.
<_< intrigued.

Im pretty ambivalent about Chester Taylor, but my question is was RB really the most pressing Vikings need? Or even in the top 5? This team is obsessed with tinkering at the RB position, however they havent been bad the last few years running the ball. Not stellar, but when you are losing a lot you arent going to be.

Is Brian Griese an option?

[
I actually think there are some good points on both your parts, but a more significant piece (or missing piece) in regards to Viking draft picks has to be coaching.Just look at how worthless Chris Hovan was until he got to Tampa and received some quality coaching. The Vikings could make the best picks in the World, but if they don't have the teachers to take them to the next level, the best picks in the World will turn out to be busts.
Why don't you guys just be happy you're not Raiders' fans. Spend great amounts on FAs only to find out why other teams let them go. Ignore your scouting dept every pick of every year 'cause you want "team speed." Hire the coach who happens to go to the lowest bidder every year. :bag:

So the official consensus is that Josh McKown is still available?
Yes.To those who are criticizing the Vikings, had you been in charge, who would you brought in and spent money on? And those who are saying player x didn't want to go there, do we really believe Edge was thinking all along he wanted to end up in Arizona? The more likely scenario is they sold him on with a sales pitch on the city and -this is key- offered him the most money. I fail to see why the Vikings couldn't overpay if they wanted a guy badly enough. Face it, players often take less to go to a winner (New England) but for a team near the cellar it takes quite a bit of coin-something Minnesota supposedly has lots of.

Chester Taylor is a good pick up for my Vikes. However, I wish they woulda done some sorta multi offer to include Ray Lewis. Our LB crew is hurting. Other than that, can I just say:

MATT SCHAUB MATT SCHAUB MATT SCHAUB!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread