What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young calls McNair "a father figure" (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...401/1328/SPORTS

McNair, Young close on, off field

Titans QB watched protege at Rose Bowl

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Vince Young was in junior high when Titans quarterback Steve McNair met him, and over the years their relationship has grown.

They've been friends through good times and bad. It's safe to say Wednesday night in Pasadena, Calif., was probably the best.

With McNair in the stands watching, Young quarterbacked the Texas Longhorns to a national championship with a 41-38 victory over USC in the Rose Bowl. Young accumulated 467 yards of total offense, including 200 on the ground, and was named the game's MVP.

"It has been a pleasure watching him mature as a player and as a person in the many years that I have known him,'' McNair said last night. "He is what an NFL quarterback is all about in this day and age. He can beat you with his arms or his legs and has the leadership abilities required of an NFL quarterback.

"He has proven that he is one of the best college quarterbacks in the country, and I would expect him to continue to be one of the best at the next level.''

McNair went to college at Alcorn State with Young's uncle, Ivory Young. Later, Ivory recommended that his nephew attend McNair's football camp in Mississippi. Vince Young was a high school sophomore at the time.

Over the years they have regularly talked on the phone, and Young has spent time at the Mississippi home of McNair's mother. McNair has attended a number of Young's games at Texas, and in recent years Young has been an instructor at McNair's camp.

In an interview with The Tennessean in June, Young said he sometimes refers to McNair as "Big Papa.'' Young's own father hasn't been around for a good part of his son's life, and has spent time in a penitentiary.

"Steve is like a father figure to me,'' Young told The Tennessean. "He helped inspire me and helped me grow up and become a man. He has always been there for me.''

McNair's guidance over the years hasn't been a secret to Longhorn fans, something that was evident as the Titan made his way into the Rose Bowl on Wednesday night.

McNair spent some time with Young after the game and returned to Nashville last night.

"People were coming up to Steve and thanking him for everything he's done for Vince,'' said Mike Mu, executive director of the Air Steve McNair Foundation, who attended the game with McNair. "(Texas) Coach Mack Brown hugged McNair after the game. It was an emotional night for everyone.''

Because the Titans have the No. 3 pick in the draft, there's at least a chance McNair and Young could continue their relationship together in Nashville.

That, of course, hinges on Young turning pro and both the Texans and Saints passing on Young, as well as McNair getting his own contract situation worked out, too.

"Sure, I would love to play with him and to continue our relationship with teammates,'' McNair said. "But there are a lot of questions still to be answered.'' •

Someone's posturing. So much for Vince returning to Texas. :)Good fit IMO - although I prefer Reggie Bush in Tennessee, Houston may not be able to work the trade, and take Bush. Would New Orleans take Leinart over Young?Or is Young saying, without being blatant about it, that he prefers not to play in New Orleans? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyday I am more convinced it will go down like this:1. Houston Texans - Reggie Bush2. New Orlean Saints - Matt Lienart3. Tennesse Titans - Vince YoungWhy?Despite an awesome Rose Bowl performance by Vince Young, those who say every team can use Reggie Bush are correct. Consequently, not every team can use Leinart or Young. Bush is a playmaker and the Texans can certainly use one, so, they take him.The Saints have nothing at QB assuming Brooks is shown the door, which I believe he will be, they will need a more polished QB, enter Lienart.The Titans can afford to take Young, let his 'father-figure' mentor him for a year or two as they rebuild. Volek gets dealt in the off-season and the Titans sign a verteran QB to backup McNair while sending Mauck either packing or to the practice squad.

I wonder what to make of the FBG front page blog article today that speculates McNair to Miami.That would seem to make a good fit for Miami. If Tenn. then drafts Young...then COlin's head will explode.

I wonder what to make of the FBG front page blog article today that speculates McNair to Miami.

That would seem to make a good fit for Miami. If Tenn. then drafts Young...then COlin's head will explode.
Word around town is that the McNair deal is just about done. He'll be in TN. If Vince or Matt is on the board. That will be the pick..No OT that high for Reese. Rios was drafted to move to the left side this year if Hopkins leaves

I hope Young does not drive drunk with a loaded gun is his car like McNair did!
Make one mistake... ;) Seriously, there's a lot worse characters in the NFL than McNair to be mentored by.

I wonder what to make of the FBG front page blog article today that speculates McNair to Miami.

That would seem to make a good fit for Miami.  If Tenn. then drafts Young...then COlin's head will explode.
Word around town is that the McNair deal is just about done. He'll be in TN. If Vince or Matt is on the board. That will be the pick..No OT that high for Reese. Rios was drafted to move to the left side this year if Hopkins leaves
So, he's restructuring his contract to stay in TN?I'm confused by who/where you're referring to when you say "he" and "town".

That would seem to make a good fit for Miami.  If Tenn. then drafts Young...then COlin's head will explode.
So, he's restructuring his contract to stay in TN?I'm confused by who/where you're referring to when you say "he" and "town".
McNair staying in TN...heard they are working on a 2 or 3 year deal. McNair said in an interview that it should get done..It almost seems like McNair and the Titans are hoping McNair gets to continue to mentor Young for a couple of more years. ee

Well...they are both country strong.Norm Chow + Vince Young = :eek:

Titans can void the $50mm bonus by paying a $1mm non-exercise fee. Then, they can work out a 3 year contract that is cap manageable. A 3 year, which is actually successive 1 year contracts with options.Word here is that it indeed is very close. BOTH sides are saying that.

You live in Nashville? Didn't know that.

I do...and work in downtown Nashville..born and raised. I live about 5 min form the Titans practice facility

I do...and work in downtown Nashville..born and raised. I live about 5 min form the Titans practice facility

Someone's posturing. So much for Vince returning to Texas. :)

Good fit IMO - although I prefer Reggie Bush in Tennessee, Houston may not be able to work the trade, and take Bush. Would New Orleans take Leinart over Young?

Or is Young saying, without being blatant about it, that he prefers not to play in New Orleans? :unsure:
Nah, this is pretty old news (McNair as role model for Young); even cheezy ESPN covered this a few months ago. If Young does enter the draft, I suspect he'd be more hyped about playing in Houston (hometown) than TEN. He can always get mentoring & advice from McNair, no matter where he plays.not posturing, just old news being regurgitated in the VY media frenzy.

Vince in Tennesse would be the greatest thing to happen since Manning joined the Vols. I might even have to buy season tickets from Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread