What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Vince Young will be a 2nd day pick" -Merril Hoge (1 Viewer)

TV...He probably meant second round pick, but "second day" pick came out of his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second round pick or second day pick, Hoge is a drunkard. Vince Young wont make it out of the top 5, as long as he throws the ball reasonably well at the combine.

Second round pick or second day pick, Hoge is a drunkard. Vince Young wont make it out of the top 5, as long as he throws the ball reasonably well at the combine.
He could EASILY fall out of the top 5, but falling out of the 1st round would be tantamount to Eagles making me their surprise 1st round choice.

Second round pick or second day pick, Hoge is a drunkard.  Vince Young wont make it out of the top 5, as long as he throws the ball reasonably well at the combine.
He could EASILY fall out of the top 5, but falling out of the 1st round would be tantamount to Eagles making me their surprise 1st round choice.
If no one else picks him, Jacksonville will at least take him in the first round as a WR project. :D

Second round pick or second day pick, Hoge is a drunkard.  Vince Young wont make it out of the top 5, as long as he throws the ball reasonably well at the combine.
If no one else picks him, Jacksonville will at least take him in the first round as a WR project. :D
:lmao: True true...

By the way, with Vince Young insisting he'll throw at the Combine, the guy deserves credit for putting himself out there. However, he could be setting himself up to expose his flaws in a big way. My hat's off to the kid for not running from the spotlight, but it's a decision that could easily drop him out of top-5 consideration.

Hoge definitely said second-day pick, and that's what he meant. He was actually livid by all the hype surrounding Vince Young "because of just one game." He was just going off on all these so-called draft experts. He was incensed. He's an idiot. It's a constant battle on ESPN to see who can be the loudest, the most confrontational, the boldest... and inevitably... the dumbest.

It's a constant battle on ESPN to see who can be the loudest, the most confrontational, the boldest... and inevitably... the dumbest.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Aaron Rodgers had a monumental drop and he stayed in the first round. Unless Young craps the bed at the Combine or gets some type of life threatening accident, he will remain in Round 1.Even if he dies, I would think he would still be a first day pick.

It's a constant battle on ESPN to see who can be the loudest, the most confrontational, the boldest... and inevitably... the dumbest.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Aaron Rodgers had a monumental drop and he stayed in the first round. Unless Young craps the bed at the Combine or gets some type of life threatening accident, he will remain in Round 1.Even if he dies, I would think he would still be a first day pick.
:goodposting: Jason Campbell was a 1st round pick...Vince Young will ABSOLUTELY be a 1st round pick regardless of his deficiencies.

Hoge definitely said second-day pick, and that's what he meant. He was actually livid by all the hype surrounding Vince Young "because of just one game." He was just going off on all these so-called draft experts. He was incensed. He's an idiot. It's a constant battle on ESPN to see who can be the loudest, the most confrontational, the boldest... and inevitably... the dumbest.
I'm pretty sure ESPN has been in the habit for some time of forcing certain personalities to say stupid things in order to create controversy and increase ratings. I know they do it with Woody Paige and it's part of the reason he acts so dopey when arguing a lame position. This has to be the case with Hoge. "Hey Merrill. We've done a great job hyping Cutler and it would be great if you could slam Vince Young. Thanks bud." ;)

:goodposting: Jason Campbell was a 1st round pick...Vince Young will ABSOLUTELY be a 1st round pick regardless of his deficiencies.
I'm a Vince Young detractor, but he's without a doubt a 1st round pick based on pure talent alone. Even if he disappoints at QB he can be a great WR. I personally don't think he'll be bad enough at QB to have that happen, but I'm certain the team that takes him will need at least two years of development before he's a reliable NFL QB. If people think there are too many Vick haters out there, just wait until Young becomes a starter.

Hoge retired due to concussions. He's still not well. Forgive him.

Every circus needs a clown. He's ESPN's clown.
There's more than one clown over ESPN....but saying something like this is just silly :thumbdown:

Even if he falls, it won't be farther than where Miami picks.
Even if they pass on him, how does he make it past the Steelers as a replacement for Randel El?

Not to say that Hodge is not nuts on this comments, but didn't last year he pulled this on Mike Williams WR (DET)? And well Mr. Williams did not prove him wrong in his Rookie season.But no way does Vince slip to the second round, unless something comes out really really bad. I am talking Marcus Vick Bad :P

Even if they pass on him, how does he make it past the Steelers as a replacement for Randel El?
Right conference, wrong QB. Young won't make it past Detroit (insert WR joke), let along Miami.

Right conference, wrong QB. Young won't make it past Detroit (insert WR joke), let along Miami.
That's a given, but making the point of how ridiculous it is to say VY won't even be a 1st round pick.

That's a given, but making the point of how ridiculous it is to say VY won't even be a 1st round pick.
:thumbup: I thought the ridiculousness was self-evident. ;) Are you sure he didn't mean to say "second pick"?

:thumbup: I thought the ridiculousness was self-evident. ;) Are you sure he didn't mean to say "second pick"?
Positive. He was saying that once people see him at the combine, they'll realize he is not an NFL-caliber QB.

This is the worst this dope has come up with yet. I find it hard to believe any team passes on him in the 2nd round. if the Cardinals thought they could take an impact player in the 1st and know Young would still be there in the 2nd, yea, I would think that would be a no brainer. I think you could say the same for MN,Chicago, Detroit, KC, Oakland, Miami, Baltimore, Jets ect....2nd day? Please! Does it ever get to a point where someone tells this idiot that he has to make some sense evey once in awhile or people will lose all respect for him and their show?

I hope this is some sort of early April Fools joke. Vince Young outside of the top 3 or 5? Uhhhh, no.... Maybe in FANTASY, but not the NFL... :loco:

Just another disgusting display by a member of the media who decides to be the subject of a story instead of reporting a story.

As I say, if he throws well at the combine, he's a lock for the top 5. If not, then he could fall to the teens or whatnot.

I'm not high on the guy, but say what? How does this guy have a job?
Kiper called Eric Winston and Omar Jacobs 3rd or 4th rounders while calling Jon Scott a possible 2nd day pick. I wonder why MOST of them have jobs.Colin

I'm not high on the guy, but say what?  How does this guy have a job?
Kiper called Eric Winston and Omar Jacobs 3rd or 4th rounders while calling Jon Scott a possible 2nd day pick. I wonder why MOST of them have jobs.Colin
The one thing I can say with assurance is that a good handful of prospects that we all think of as sure 1st rounders will wind up as 3rd or 4th rounders if not worse. Whether the guys mentioned here are the guys which fall, i don't know but I know none of them played to expectation before the college season.

Call me a Hodge clone but there is no way Vince Young should be a first rounder. I wouldn't go near him until the 3rd round. He is still too raw for my tastes. I just see "bust" written all over the current edition of him. The running he does won't be possible in the NFL and his passing is wanting...........

wait a minute, if vince does fall, wouldnt houston just grab him in the 2nd?imagine that...bush & young for houston.

Call me a Hodge clone but there is no way Vince Young should be a first rounder. I wouldn't go near him until the 3rd round. He is still too raw for my tastes. I just see "bust" written all over the current edition of him. The running he does won't be possible in the NFL and his passing is wanting...........
He is a better passer than Michael Vick.

We can call you whatever you want, but the third round is STILL DAY ONE, and Hodge would still be wrong.

Here a crazy thought: Is it possible that Hoge was simply exagerating to get a point across? (that he doesnt think Young will be a good NFL QB).Crazy, right?

Oh for Chrissake, when are people going to learn? Stop doubting Vince. He WILL prove you wrong. And Hoge must be brain dead. Go ahead and turn off the life support system now. There would be riots in Houston if the Texans passed on Vince three times and let him slip to the 2nd day, so that is not just an unlikely occurrence, it is an impossibility. Vince could tear both his ACL's between now and the draft and Houston would still take him in the third round based solely on the number of jerseys he'd sell. The NFL is still a business last I checked.

A couple years from now I think a team will be wishing they waited till the second day.
Wrong. A couple of years from now any team that passed on him is going to be kicking themselves for being so stupid.

I was listening to Jerry Jones on ESPN the other morning and he said in no way will they pass on VY "IF" he is there at #18.

Was Hoge saying that Young will not be taken on the first day or was he voicing his opinion that Young should not be?

Just another disgusting display by a member of the media who decides to be the subject of a story instead of reporting a story.
:lmao: He's not a reporter, he's a talking head. His opinions ARE the subject of the story.IMHO, Young will be a better QB than Vick. Seeing that I really don't hold Vick in high regard as a NFL QB, I don't really know what that means though.

According to the guys during the Senior Bowl broadcast, you know what Jeff Fisher said? He said that when they were scouting Cedric Benson last year, he couldn't stop watching the other guy in the backfield with him, some whiz kid named Vince Young. He actually said he had to keep reminding himself to pay attention to the dude that was in the draft (Benson). And this was the 2004 version of VY. Bust or not, I'll be shocked if the Titans (Fisher plus his mentor McNair) don't take him. Shocked. If Hoge had watched any Texas games EVER, he would know that Vince's performance was anything but a fluke. You may not like what he is, but he was at most only 10% greater than his usual badassery in the big game.Between an increasingly doddering version of Berman, Michael Irvin clutching and grabbing the other guys on his broadcasts all the time, and Stew Scott's eye goo, I'm just sick and tired of the "worldwide leader."Now I wonder what's on ESPN.com? ;)

To be honest he is mesh of Bobby Hebert and Micheal Vick. I just don't think a scrambler/runner type who is an inconsistent passer is a first rounder. He is a late first or early second day type to me......

Users who are viewing this thread