What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Volek reworks deal (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
Sirmon/Volek Restructure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titans | Sirmon's contract tweaked

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:59 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans have reworked the contract of LB Peter Sirmon to keep him with the team in 2006.

Titans | Volek adjusts contract

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:30 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans reworked the contract of backup QB Billy Volek to keep him with the team in 2006.

Titans | Additional cap savings found

Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:12 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans saved $2.6 million in salary cap room by reworking the contracts of QB Billy Volek and LB Peter Sirmon

I read that they didn't exercise an option on both of their contracts so they will be FA after 06. At this time of year, this also makes them more attractive to teams to trade for them and negotiate their own deal. Later in the year, teams will shy away and just wait for them to be FAs

no VY

no ML

should we look for a move up to get a RB or does the Brick become a titan?

-orphan
What some folks don't realize is that Volek will be 30 in April. He ain't a kid. His re-working his deal has no bearing whatsover on the draft, IMO.

no VY

no ML

should we look for a move up to get a RB or does the Brick become a titan?

-orphan
What some folks don't realize is that Volek will be 30 in April. He ain't a kid. His re-working his deal has no bearing whatsover on the draft, IMO.
I guess I don't know what this signals. Volek stated last year that he wants to start or be traded. Does this contract make either a possiblility?

mcnair is a walking emergency ward at this stage of his career... IF they had their eye on VY or cutler, they might not be ready this season...

so it is a savvy move to secure volek as quality backup... the fact that it was one year COULD mean that they do intend to draft a QB (though it has been pointed out elsewhere that the simms one year signing could be a trend in the wacky flux that has befallen RFAs & UFAs)...

no doubt volek wants to start, but i think he may have had second thoughts about getting cut loose amidst the chaos & uncertainty that is hanging over the league due to CBA impasse, & consequent pall over all of 2006 FA... not to mention there could be other, better QB options out there like brees, griese, brooks, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
McNair will be a free agent after 2006, they voided the final 3 years of his contract. Sounds like they are drafting a qb in the 1st. ^^was on KFFL hot off the wire.

I would say this definitely doesn't preclude them from drafting a QB; but I'm sticking with D'Brick to Tenny in my next mock regardless :thumbup:

I would say this definitely doesn't preclude them from drafting a QB; but I'm sticking with D'Brick to Tenny in my next mock regardless :thumbup:
Right now I'd agree. Until Vince Young works out for scouts, he hasnt done enough to warrent a top 5 pick. Cutler is only regarded that highly by a small minority of experts. Its foolish to think Tennessee will draft a QB just because they are rebuilding. If Leinhart is the only QB worthy of the number 3 pick, they shouldnt draft a QB. Drafting a QB at the top of round 1 is not the only way to rebuild a team.

mcnair is a walking emergency ward at this stage of his career... IF they had their eye on VY or cutler, they might not be ready this season...

so it is a savvy move to secure volek as quality backup... the fact that it was one year COULD mean that they do intend to draft a QB (though it has been pointed out elsewhere that the simms one year signing could be a trend in the wacky flux that has befallen RFAs & UFAs)...

no doubt volek wants to start, but i think he may have had second thoughts about getting cut loose amidst the chaos & uncertainty that is hanging over the league due to CBA impasse, & consequent pall over all of 2006 FA... not to mention there could be other, better QB options out there like brees, griese, brooks, etc...
Does not compute.

:goodposting: Volek is not a starting caliber QB, but he's a decent backup.

He's not the future, but could end up as the "transition QB" if Tennesse waits until 2007 to draft a QB or McNair got injured this year.

Brick is the better pick IMO if Bush and Leinart are gone anyway, this doesn't impact that at all.

Why would Volek take this deal? He may not be the greatest QB in the world but surely he could have done better on the market. If guys like Warner and Collins got starting jobs handed to them last season you would think Volek could at least compete for one. Who else is out there besides Aaron Brooks? Tennessee is going to draft somebody and backing up McNair waiting for your day to come is one of those neverending quests that never quite come true.

McNair has worked with Young for years. Chow loves Leinart. When else will they have such an opportunity?

Sirmon/Volek Restructure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans have reworked the contract of LB Peter Sirmon to keep him with the team in 2006.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans reworked the contract of backup QB Billy Volek to keep him with the team in 2006.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Tennessee Titans saved $2.6 million in salary cap room by reworking the contracts of QB Billy Volek and LB Peter Sirmon
shows how dumb the 'titans will draft Young because mcnair is a fater figure to him' threads were, right? jeez...thank god thats over with!!you might see bush fall to #3...houston is going to trade out with NYJ most likely, if jets make the trade for denvers 'other' first round pick so they can move up to get leinhart.

n.o. definitely needs to go QB..

so imo, bush drops to ten at #3! if they REALLY want Bush, offer Ben Troupe and the #3 overall for him..Houston's HC Gary Kubiak loves to have a good TE in his offense...

Houston is not going to trade down. Unless you get a Eli sized deal it is a bad move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree completely on DBrick...they seem pretty happy with their line...especially at Tackle. Roos will move to LT, where he is more comfortable, and Jacob Bell will be manning the RT.What this did was keep him around do be able to work a draft day trade and pick up some more picks...

Sirmon/Volek Restructure

shows how dumb the 'titans will draft Young because mcnair is a fater figure to him' threads were, right? jeez...thank god thats over with!!you might see bush fall to #3...houston is going to trade out with NYJ most likely, if jets make the trade for denvers 'other' first round pick so they can move up to get leinhart.

so imo, bush drops to ten at #3! if they REALLY want Bush, offer Ben Troupe and the #3 overall for him..Houston's HC Gary Kubiak loves to have a good TE in his offense...
They also restructured Travis Henry's deal. They will not be going after Bush. Certainly not trading Troupe to do so either.And do not be silly, the McNair Young thing is still important...though they are about higher on Cutler than any other guy...and not just because he played close by.

Sirmon/Volek Restructure

They also restructured Travis Henry's deal. They will not be going after Bush. Certainly not trading Troupe to do so either.And do not be silly, the McNair Young thing is still important...though they are about higher on Cutler than any other guy...and not just because he played close by.
Cutler has the same agent as McNair, but if they passed on Vince Young for Jay Cutler, there would be a jihad. McNair was quoted in this week's Sports Weekly saying he's already offered the Titans a willingness to stay for "two or three years" to mentor Vince and get him ready to take over the job.

Sirmon/Volek Restructure

Cutler has the same agent as McNair, but if they passed on Vince Young for Jay Cutler, there would be a jihad. McNair was quoted in this week's Sports Weekly saying he's already offered the Titans a willingness to stay for "two or three years" to mentor Vince and get him ready to take over the job.
Tell me something , if Mcnair stays 2 - 3 years to groom Young why would they re-sign Volek. It makes no sense either they will trade the pick or go RB .

Sirmon/Volek Restructure

Tell me something , if Mcnair stays 2 - 3 years to groom Young why would they re-sign Volek. It makes no sense either they will trade the pick or go RB .
To be clear, I maintain the Titans will take D'Brick at 3 if they remain there. However, I don't think the signing of McNair and Volek in any way removes the option for the Titans to take Young [or Cutler :X ]. Regarding Volek, they signed him for two years, and did so before they came to terms on McNair. Regardless of whether they drafted a youngster, they would need a veteran presence and backup as Young, in particular, wouldn't be game ready in the NFL for a season or two. And Volek's contract makes him quite tradeable to boot.

Jason, all signals in TN point to us taking a QB.

A year removed from drafting three offensive linemen and with multiple needs and the opportunity to get a franchise quarterback, the Titans are unlikely to draft Virginia LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson even after releasing Brad Hopkins.

"He's a sure bet, yeah, no doubt," Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said of Ferguson, before indicating why he wouldn't be the Titans' guy.

"At that pick we have a lot of options," Fisher said. "I don't think that drafting an offensive lineman with the third pick of the draft is in the best interest of the future of our franchise right now."
That's not the only thing that has pointed me in the direction of the QB, just what I read today to reaffirm it.More at

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/home.htm

Why would Volek take this deal? He may not be the greatest QB in the world but surely he could have done better on the market. If guys like Warner and Collins got starting jobs handed to them last season you would think Volek could at least compete for one. Who else is out there besides Aaron Brooks? Tennessee is going to draft somebody and backing up McNair waiting for your day to come is one of those neverending quests that never quite come true.
Patrick Ramsey, Kerry Collins, Gus Ferrrrrrrrrrrrote, Josh McCown, Chad Pennington, Drew Brees, Jon Kitna, Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, Brian Griese, Jeff Garcia, Trent Dilfer, Tommy Maddox...All of those guys can likely be had for a reasonable sum.

A year removed from drafting three offensive linemen and with multiple needs and the opportunity to get a franchise quarterback, the Titans are unlikely to draft Virginia LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson even after releasing Brad Hopkins.

"He's a sure bet, yeah, no doubt," Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said of Ferguson, before indicating why he wouldn't be the Titans' guy.

"At that pick we have a lot of options," Fisher said. "I don't think that drafting an offensive lineman with the third pick of the draft is in the best interest of the future of our franchise right now."
That's not the only thing that has pointed me in the direction of the QB, just what I read today to reaffirm it.More at

Great quote waylander, :thumbup: That was such a direct statement I don't see it as misdirection, I may have to amend my next mock draft :)

Great quote waylander, :thumbup: That was such a direct statement I don't see it as misdirection, I may have to amend my next mock draft :)
I am hoping that they don't take Cutler, although I think it's a possibility. Not that there is anything wrong with Culter, but I've had my hopes up about them taking YOung and I would hate to be disappointed. Here's another scenario - they trade down w/ to 6 (Oakland, who apparently like Young) and end up with Cutler and another first day pick.

Colin

They didn't rework Volek's contract at all. The declined to not exercise a club option to extend his contract beyond the 2006 season. A bonus would have to be paid (and, therefore put on the cap) to pick up the bonus. They "saved" that $ by not exercising it. Same for Sirmon.

They did NOTHING to proactively rework Volek's contract.

Not a problem Jason.

And Colin, I got no problems with that scenario either. I'll admit, Young is who I wanted since before kick-off last season. A large portion of that, is his relationship with McNair, but somewhere along the lines I bought into the Cutler hype...regardless, with the 3rd pick, I don't see us losing with any of the top 3 QB's, and we should have our pick of two of them.

They didn't rework Volek's contract at all. The declined to not exercise a club option to extend his contract beyond the 2006 season. A bonus would have to be paid (and, therefore put on the cap) to pick up the bonus. They "saved" that $ by not exercising it. Same for Sirmon.

They did NOTHING to proactively rework Volek's contract.
:goodposting: Way to keep everyone on track WMI.

Titans made a cap move...this says nothing about their confidence in Volek.

Users who are viewing this thread