What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

VY throwing motion (1 Viewer)

hpnepon

Footballguy
Why is everyone saying his throwing motion wouldn't work in the nfl, and will take a few years to fix. I don't understand why throwing straight over your shoulder will make you more successful in the NFL. If his side arm gets it there accuratly, whats the difference.

Didn't Gannon throw side arm?

just looking for info out of curiosity.

Thanks

Typically scouts say that a side arm motion is bad because of the ball getting knocked down by DLinemen.

Although it is my belief that there is a lot of solid to very good QB's that threw sidearm with little problem with batted balls. Kosar, Gannon, and Flutie just to name a few.

Seems to me when I watched that Vince Young had a pretty quick release, and could throw accurately from a minimal plant.

That ability, along with his mobility, could make him just as effective in the NFL as those throwing overhand, imo.

Typically scouts say that a side arm motion is bad because of the ball getting knocked down by DLinemen.

Although it is my belief that there is a lot of solid to very good QB's that threw sidearm with little problem with batted balls. Kosar, Gannon, and Flutie just to name a few.
:lmao: @ Flutie..just mentioning his name makes me laugh..

Gannon was good,and had the hitch for sure..but it took him alot of time, 14 years and 3 teams to become a pro bowl qb in oakland....

I think it'll be a non-issue.

He's no straight sidearm guy, I see more of a three-quarter motion. The man is 6'5", for God's sake, his sidearm probably has a higher release point than Drew Brees.

I think a lot of teams have problems with Young, but I think his delivery isn't gonna be one of the big ones.

He's no straight sidearm guy, I see more of a three-quarter motion. The man is 6'5", for God's sake, his sidearm probably has a higher release point than Drew Brees.

I think a lot of teams have problems with Young, but I think his delivery isn't gonna be one of the big ones.
Yeah, teams too busy trying to figure out more important things....like whether or not he can do logarithms under time pressure. :loco:

The issue is the release time and accuracy not whether or not he throws side arm.

He's no straight sidearm guy, I see more of a three-quarter motion.  The man is 6'5", for God's sake, his sidearm probably has a higher release point than Drew Brees.

The issue is the release time and accuracy not whether or not he throws side arm.
Actually, I think that is the issue, at least the one raised by the original poster.

I have not seen any real video disecting his release. But, another potential problem with side arm is how low you hold the ball. Generally, you do not want the ball below your waist. Too easy to get stripped (see Leftwich - he does not throw sidearm but has a wind up delivery that dips the ball very low). That could be another potential problem that the "mechanics gurus" see with side arm.

If anyone watches NFL Network, there is a good spot out there on QB mechanics. It has Joe Montana and Bill Walsh in it. They do all the drops, all the throws and point out all this technical mechanical stuff. Very interesting.

I have not seen any real video disecting his release. But, another potential problem with side arm is how low you hold the ball. Generally, you do not want the ball below your waist. Too easy to get stripped (see Leftwich - he does not throw sidearm but has a wind up delivery that dips the ball very low). That could be another potential problem that the "mechanics gurus" see with side arm.

If anyone watches NFL Network, there is a good spot out there on QB mechanics. It has Joe Montana and Bill Walsh in it. They do all the drops, all the throws and point out all this technical mechanical stuff. Very interesting.
I'm no mechanics guru, but he does have a weird release, almost looks like he is pushing the ball to me.... :shrug:

I have not seen any real video disecting his release.  But, another potential problem with side arm is how low you hold the ball.  Generally, you do not want the ball below your waist.  Too easy to get stripped (see Leftwich - he does not throw sidearm but has a wind up delivery that dips the ball very low).  That could be another potential problem that the "mechanics gurus" see with side arm.

If anyone watches NFL Network, there is a good spot out there on QB mechanics.  It has Joe Montana and Bill Walsh in it.  They do all the drops, all the throws and point out all this technical mechanical stuff.  Very interesting.
I'm no mechanics guru, but he does have a weird release, almost looks like he is pushing the ball to me.... :shrug:
Im not a mechanics guru either.........it does look ugly.......although when you see a great release you know it.........CARSON PALMER

I have not seen any real video disecting his release.  But, another potential problem with side arm is how low you hold the ball.  Generally, you do not want the ball below your waist.  Too easy to get stripped (see Leftwich - he does not throw sidearm but has a wind up delivery that dips the ball very low).  That could be another potential problem that the "mechanics gurus" see with side arm.

If anyone watches NFL Network, there is a good spot out there on QB mechanics.  It has Joe Montana and Bill Walsh in it.  They do all the drops, all the throws and point out all this technical mechanical stuff.  Very interesting.
Im not a mechanics guru either.........it does look ugly.......although when you see a great release you know it.........CARSON PALMER
:thumbup:

Vince holds the ball up by his shoulder until he's ready to throw. His delivery and release point is at his eye level after cocking the ball back by his ear. What his delivery looks most like to me is like he's throwing a dart. Mack Brown's site has some video of the Texas pro day (the passing is in the last part of the video).

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

:goodposting: Although, I think VY has yet to prove he has the mental makeup to make on the spot decisions under pressure.

Although, I think VY has yet to prove he has the mental makeup to make on the spot decisions under pressure.
Yeah...it's just amazing how he choked in those big Rose Bowl games.
Pressure meaning Simeon Rice type athleticism coming at you from the blind side.The Pro game is a different level.

Although, I think VY has yet to prove he has the mental makeup to make on the spot decisions under pressure.
Pressure meaning Simeon Rice type athleticism coming at you from the blind side.The Pro game is a different level.
duh. Funny how every single NFL player had to play well in College first. Too bad VY couldn't be the first guy to play College ball with veteran NFL players since being dominant in College doesn't mean as much for Young as it does every single prospect to ever get drafted according to the hate mongers.

duh. Funny how every single NFL player had to play well in College first. Too bad VY couldn't be the first guy to play College ball with veteran NFL players since being dominant in College doesn't mean as much for Young as it does every single prospect to ever get drafted according to the hate mongers.
I never said he doesn't have the decision making skills, I'm simply stating there are some red flags which point to the conclusion that he may not have them.

I never said he doesn't have the decision making skills, I'm simply stating there are some red flags which point to the conclusion that he may not have them.
I guess if you are going to make a point that he makes questionable decisons I'd assume you would back it up with his play on the field as an example, but since he won the last two Rose Bowls in spectacular manner you just have to use the tired excuse that Young didn't prove his game against........Simeon Rice? That's weak man. Nobody in college ball was rushed by Simeon Rice last year.

Vince holds the ball up by his shoulder until he's ready to throw. His delivery and release point is at his eye level after cocking the ball back by his ear. What his delivery looks most like to me is like he's throwing a dart. Mack Brown's site has some video of the Texas pro day (the passing is in the last part of the video).

Good info. Good video. Thanks. :thumbup:

:thumbup:
Palmer's certainly good. Another one, maybe the best one, is Rex Grossman. Spurrier fell in love with his mechanics. Story is Spurrier was not even recruiting Grossman, but Grossman showed up one day with a video of him throwing and Spurrier loved the fundamentals and the quick release. I think ideally, it should go as follows (boiled down to a few bullets):

- take ball from center and bring it up to the ear with two hands (cocked to throw)

- concurrently, take your drop; head looking straightforward

- make your read

- hop step and throw (ideally with quick release like Grossman not windup like Leftwich)

Grossman does the first and last very good that is getting the ball in a position to throw immediately and getting rid of the ball very quickly in his release.

Exactly, he looks like he is pushing the ball instead of throwing it, seems to work for him though...

I guess if you are going to make a point that he makes questionable decisons I'd assume you would back it up with his play on the field as an example, but since he won the last two Rose Bowls in spectacular manner you just have to use the tired excuse that Young didn't prove his game against........Simeon Rice? That's weak man. Nobody in college ball was rushed by Simeon Rice last year.
Again, I didn't say he wasn't good in college...the guy was a college stud. I'm simply stating you can be good in college because of superior athleticism, and still suck in the pros because of poor decision making ability.

Users who are viewing this thread