What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver #1 - hold or use for Sammy Perine as insurance? (1 Viewer)

jawhoo

Footballguy
League: 12 teams, 8 to playoffs, playoffs weeks 14-16, trade window is passed, one keeper allowed year-over-year, cost is 2 rounds higher than where they were drafted (so 7th rounder this year kept for 5th next).

Scoring: Standard PPR, QB 1/25, 4pt TD, RB/WR 1/10, 6pt TD, 1 PPR

Roster: 12 teams - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, No flex, 1K, 1DST

Situation: Am 10-1 and 1st in overall scoring, and have locked up #1 regular season (#2 has 4 losses). I am relatively strong at RB, WR and TE but weak at QB. Looking at FBG flex rankings for my league I have none of the top 12 options, but 5 ranked 14-25. My QB is #13.  I have #1 waiver priority.

Question: Sammy Perine is on the waiver wire - do I use my #1 waiver to pick him up, or hold it in hopes of someone who actually helps my team coming up in the next 4 weeks?. He would become my 3rd best RB if I pick him up, so with no flex my standard lineup would not have him in it.  But he provides good insurance for injury. Also of note is the team with #2 waiver priority is 7th in scoring and currently 7th in the league, and he needs RB help.  He will almost certainly pick him up, but does not look like a huge threat even if he improves his team. I have outscored him by 250 points through 11 weeks.

My QBs: Brissett, Fitzpatrick

Best available WW QBs: McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Manning, Keenum, Kizer

My RBs: McCoy, Miller, Woodhead, Forte

Best available WW RBs: Perine, D Booker, J Williams (GB), J White

My WRs: Fitzgerald, Thielen, T Hill, A Jeffery, J Gordon

Best available WW WRs: Doctson, C Coleman, Stills, C Davis

My TEs: Ertz, Engram

Best available WW TEs: Kroft, Hooper, Clay

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd burn it and pick up Perine for Forte. This late in the season it is unlikely that anyone else may pop up that will help your team plus it is a defensive move that keeps him from your competition since he by default has become a bell cow since it really isn't much of a rbbc there.

I'd also look at dropping Fitzpatrick for either McCown or Taylor and Gordon for Coleman.

Thanks for the thoughts. Re: dropping Gordon, does that consider possible keeper value? My thought was he's a lottery ticket - if he looks great in the last few weeks of the season he could be a top-10 receiver next draft day, who I can keep for a 12th.  My other possible keepers and costs are:

Tyreek Hill - 10th (my keeper this year)

Thielen - 6th

Engram - 12th

Perine - 12th

Thanks for the thoughts. Re: dropping Gordon, does that consider possible keeper value? My thought was he's a lottery ticket - if he looks great in the last few weeks of the season he could be a top-10 receiver next draft day, who I can keep for a 12th.  My other possible keepers and costs are:

Tyreek Hill - 10th (my keeper this year)

Thielen - 6th

Engram - 12th

Perine - 12th
The guy has been out of the league for two years and is one sip away from being gone for good plus he wasn't that good the last time he was on the field. Could he be the biggest come back player of all time? Sure, but the odds are against him. Perine could have just as much value as a keeper with the experience he is about to get.  I also like Colemans for this year over Gordon, health is his only concern but he is looking good so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im torn between Tyrod and Perine. Given that you are playoff bound and in a good position, I usually aim to increase the overall floor of the team. Tyrod may provide that little extra with a good playoff schedule. Given how strong your roster is at rb, wr, and te and you have good depth I see Tyrod as being your best addition. He has the chiefs, patriots, colts, dolphins, patriots. That's a pretty nice schedule. 

If you need a second wavier add booker has a decent playoff schedule as well. New OC that is gonna try and develop Lynch, tailor to his abilities, and i see lots of running. Booker for forte. tyrod for Brissett.  

Who is HOT and what do they need? Are all owners active? Only a handful in my league grab players off WW. 

I look at their needs and make move especially if it' helps my roster.   You can afford to lose a game this week or next. 

So what's the long term insurance/improved line-up move?  Is strength of schedule important? What situations will change? 

If Brissett goes down and Winston comes back?  Will Keenum still be available or Bridgewater?  What about Lynch?  What about not starting a QB to avoid negative points...like 5 INTs from Peterman. 

Finally, I'd ask.  What got you here?  

Dropping Forte for a speculative pick-up At RB could be helpful.  Unless you think he'll help you in Week 16 and think he'll come back. 

Users who are viewing this thread