What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

want to retire from FF / handoff commish duties (1 Viewer)

For the longest time I used to watch on Sundays with my laptop open with a tab for each league (4-6) and was constantly scrolling the live scoring for immediate updates. I felt that I wasn't actually watching any football and also felt burnt out. Now I submit my lineups and don't even bother looking at my opponents' until maybe Sunday night at the earliest and sometimes not until before MNF. There's nothing I can do to change how players are doing anyway so why get all annoyed that I started Saquon but am also against Saquon etc, who cares? Enjoy watching football and see how my fantasy leagues turned out later.
I have a friend who has his iPad on his lap, and stares at it during the games. I don't watch with him.

💯

Exactly this.

edit: word
Recommend: best ball leagues. Do your prep, do a few drafts, check in during season.

Random question: How many people who are burned out/done not watch football with friends anymore? I have a friend who was bored by fantasy football, I suspect if he was able to watch games and smoke pot with his buddies, he would love it. Instead, his weekends are consumed by the mortal enemy of fantasy football: kiddie soccer
Random Question Response .... Count me in that category. Started not have friends over or going someplace with friends about 2015. Partly due to some owners were not regional and some was life got in the way (family/coached youth sports for my kids). Time was too precious and something had to sacrifice.

I don't coach anymore and all my local leagues disbanded years ago... Now I am spending time with my Grandkids or taking care of "elderly family"... so just not time anymore.

When to announce? Now, playoffs, after season?
I'd announce it after the playoff positions are settled.

Side note: the fatigue is real, I dropped one league, my work league and that helped. This year, I started playing a DFS league, 60 ppl 5 random 12 team and it's way more fun than my work league.

Appreciate everyone's advice here. I ended up finding a good replacement; he's a new guy, next year will be his 6th year in our league, but he's got 20+ years in the hobby and has commissioned several leagues.

Waiting until this morning to announce the change. No reason to be any kind of distraction.

Undecided about whether I'll play next year. Got Zayed last weekend and it didn't make me feel...anything...except maybe relief lol.

3 TDs from a a scrub, gitdafuqoutta here

Probably will be a good thing to take a year off and reassess next year. Love the NFL but the hobby just isn't fun anymore.

@BobbyLayne I would let them know now so they can get a head start on finding the next one.

I too hate the feeling of watching any player **** the bed, especially on TNF, and you have to wait until Sundays / Monday night to figure out what the rest of your team does.

You want another bite at the apple but you have to wait an entire week.

Too much information out there now- and random variance is helping the perpetual losers of every league now. Parity is up, but I don't think that's a good thing for as much effort one puts into it.

I've put less effort into it as well. But I can't help but get my mood ruined like someone like R. Moore yesterday only catching 1 ****ing pass.

So many more unpredictable, awful games these days. No smoothness- just unnecessary volatility in a hobby that is supposed to be fun.

We ask ourselves...if we're not having any fun, then why are we doing it?

Have to find a way to balance out trying to have fun and investing too much into it.

I think a partial solution is to just look at waivers, do it simple and clean, maybe watch the 1 PM games and then do something else.
Parity is a good thing from a commissioner's perspective. The worst part of the job is finding a new owner for a team the previous owner left in shambles (dynasty).

Appreciate everyone's advice here. I ended up finding a good replacement; he's a new guy, next year will be his 6th year in our league, but he's got 20+ years in the hobby and has commissioned several leagues.

Waiting until this morning to announce the change. No reason to be any kind of distraction.

Undecided about whether I'll play next year. Got Zayed last weekend and it didn't make me feel...anything...except maybe relief lol.

Probably will be a good thing to take a year off and reassess next year. Love the NFL but the hobby just isn't fun anymore.
We have a yardage-only league, takes that randomness out of the equation.

So now that the Lions are becoming "watchable" again you are walking away from fantasy football :)

FF and the NFL is just not that much fun anymore. I don’t want to get into too deep of a discussion on that aspect but I think a lot of folks share my view the shield is in decline. Just a lousy product these days.

Been playing FF 20+ years and was a pioneer in my primary (18 year) redraft. Hasn’t been fun for a long time. Last year, had a rejuvenation experience - started off 1-4 then 3-6; won my last 5, cruised through the first two playoff games, lost a heartbreaker Final (first ever CG loss.)

This year is just pure drudgery. WWLWWL start but it’s not fun. Not worth getting into why; just trying to figure out how to proceed.

Been trying to give away Commish for years. Nobody has stepped up. Gonna try to recruit directly but if that fails I think I should announce I’m retiring and if they want a 19th season someone needs to take the reigns (sooner rather than later.)

Any advice or similar experiences, would appreciate your input.

I'd wait until after the season and just tell the league you're retiring. Super easy.

Absolutely don't do anything as a hobby you don't enjoy. Life's too short.

Last edited:
FF and the NFL is just not that much fun anymore. I don’t want to get into too deep of a discussion on that aspect but I think a lot of folks share my view the shield is in decline. Just a lousy product these days.

Been playing FF 20+ years and was a pioneer in my primary (18 year) redraft. Hasn’t been fun for a long time. Last year, had a rejuvenation experience - started off 1-4 then 3-6; won my last 5, cruised through the first two playoff games, lost a heartbreaker Final (first ever CG loss.)

This year is just pure drudgery. WWLWWL start but it’s not fun. Not worth getting into why; just trying to figure out how to proceed.

Been trying to give away Commish for years. Nobody has stepped up. Gonna try to recruit directly but if that fails I think I should announce I’m retiring and if they want a 19th season someone needs to take the reigns (sooner rather than later.)

Any advice or similar experiences, would appreciate your input.

I'd wait until after the season and just tell the league you're retiring. Super easy.

Absolutely don't do anything as a hobby you don't enjoy. Life's too short.
Speak for yourself, I'm living forever.

Speak for yourself, I'm living forever.

:thumbup: My primary point was I always encourage people to get out quickly from hobbies they find to be drudgery. I've never understood that.

Updated a few posts upthread - found a willing LT member who stepped up when I asked. We did a brief Zoom and I announced the change on the league message board today.

Undecided on whether I’ll play next year. The only aspect I dislike about Commish is recruiting.

I was spoiled bc we had 100% retention for about 6 years. The last 4-5 I’ve had to replace 1-4 members annually. We no longer have the same camaraderie as when it was the same group each year.

Good for you. Take a year. Take two. Retire for good. No need to decide except year-to-year. I felt the same way. Ended up taking 3 years off. Now it's fun again. Except for crap like Zay Jones. Or watching Pollard (me) drop an easy TD that went to Lamb (opponent) the next play that ended up being the difference in my semifinal game. Or starting Herbert and seeing Allen step on the boundary...

Now you're making me want to re-retire, dammit. In all seriousness, best of luck. Hope you continue to post here. Enjoy your insights.

I hear ya. I retired from FF this past summer and haven’t missed it at all. It just wasn’t as much fun the last few years. I love doing the auctions and drafts, but once the season began, it was a drag, even when my teams were doing well.
Someone in one of my leagues was feeling this way a few years ago. Rather than vacating their ownership, she took a co-owner. She drafts the team and then the co-owner takes over from there. It's worked for them for 3 years now and that team just made the title game.

Users who are viewing this thread