What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was the Jake Plummer experiment a success? (1 Viewer)

?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Was thinking about this the other day.1-1 in the playoffs with Arizona1-2 in the playoffs with Denver (and counting).Obviously much better stat and win wise with the Broncos, but going to a consistently successful organization with decent talent around you will do that.The guy he replaced, Brian Griese, was 0-1 in the playoffs.Statwise, probably somewhat better in most categories than Brian Griese, but I'm not sure if it's a HUGE difference. Bit of a difference in wins.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes from what we see in a statline. Plummer brings a lot more to the table than Griese.

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes from what we see in a statline. Plummer brings a lot more to the table than Griese.
:goodposting: Plummer brings mobility and leadership. Shannahan likes a mobile QB to run his offense - the bootleg ithe ultimate play, everything else is to set up the bootleg (IMHO). Plummer is probably the best in the NFL wrt getting his hips squared to the LOS while running sideways.

Griese, to his detrimet, was not a leader. Romor is that he was layed out at a party at Terell Davis's house in the drive-way - offically, he tripped. He "tripped" several times, IIRC.

Plummer is the third greatest QB to run this offense, behind Young and Elway, and probably the best QB in the NFL at doing what Shannahan wants to do. Vince Young would look really good in orange and blue, don't ya think? Or, perhaps in a Kubiak led offense?

Jake the Snake is 33-12 as a starter in Denver. He just led the team to a playoff victory over the proverbial 900 pound gorilla. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince Young would look really good in orange and blue, don't ya think? Or, perhaps in a Kubiak led offense?
interesting idea, but (even though i haven't watched the guy much) i dont think ive ever seen him throw the ball outside of the pocket, if he leaves...... he runs.

Was thinking about this the other day.

1-1 in the playoffs with Arizona

1-2 in the playoffs with Denver (and counting).

Obviously much better stat and win wise with the Broncos, but going to a consistently successful organization with decent talent around you will do that.

The guy he replaced, Brian Griese, was 0-1 in the playoffs.

Statwise, probably somewhat better in most categories than Brian Griese, but I'm not sure if it's a HUGE difference. Bit of a difference in wins.
Jake Plummer has a better winning percentage since he came to Denver than anyone except Manning or Brady. Since Plummer has come to town, Denver has made the playoffs in three straight seasons. Yes, the Plummer experience has been an unqualified success- and would have been a success, even if Denver had lost tonight.

Jake Plummer has a better winning percentage since he came to Denver than anyone except Manning or Brady. Since Plummer has come to town, Denver has made the playoffs in three straight seasons. Yes, the Plummer experience has been an unqualified success- and would have been a success, even if Denver had lost tonight.
:goodposting:

I see him as an asset similar to Big Ben. They both provide ample support to to the run game by keeping defenses honest and not creating turnovers. Neither generally throws for a massive amount of yards but they can be relied on for key conversions, strecthing the defense, and the occasional 300+ yard game when it's necessary.I do, however, think Ben is a better QB and would be more reliable with an expanded role

Plummer's getting it done. I wasnt betting on him before the NE game with Brady on the other side, but obviously he's proving he can get it done under pressure.

That td throw he had was vintage Plummer. beautiful On the run and sidearmed between 2 defenders. He's always been pretty damn good.

Keep Plummer for sure. He's not the main reason Denver lost this game. 1st-half 3rd-down defense was the key.He showed me a lot in the 2nd half under extreme pressure.

If somebody in Denver with the power to cut him loose thinks that the "Jake Plummer experiment" is a failure, I can assure them that at least a third of the league's teams will be lined up and waiting to call on him.

I'm curious why some consider this an experiment. Is there a Drew Bledsoe experiment in Buffalo or Dallas? How about a Testaverde experiment in Baltimore or New York? Was there a Montana experiment in KC? What makes us think differently about Plummer than other QB's?

I'm curious why some consider this an experiment. Is there a Drew Bledsoe experiment in Buffalo or Dallas? How about a Testaverde experiment in Baltimore or New York? Was there a Montana experiment in KC?

What makes us think differently about Plummer than other QB's?
I dunno, maybe the fact that he sucks?

I'm curious why some consider this an experiment. Is there a Drew Bledsoe experiment in Buffalo or Dallas? How about a Testaverde experiment in Baltimore or New York? Was there a Montana experiment in KC?

I dunno, maybe the fact that he sucks?
link?

Experiment = taking a guy from a bad team off the scrap him and surrounding him with talent to see if his poor performance before was from a poor team.Montana had absolutely nothing to prove.

Bledsoe had a lot less to prove than Plummer.

Testaverde in NY under Parcells is definitely on the same level as Plummer in Denver.

Experiment = taking a guy from a bad team off the scrap him and surrounding him with talent to see if his poor performance before was from a poor team.
Gotcha. Any other players from similar situations? Steve Young and Testaverde are the only other QB's I can come up with off of the top of my head.

Experiment = taking a guy from a bad team off the scrap him and surrounding him with talent to see if his poor performance before was from a poor team.
Gotcha. Any other players from similar situations? Steve Young and Testaverde are the only other QB's I can come up with off of the top of my head.
Brett Favre.

Brett Favre.
Not really applicable - we never got to see what the Falcons could do with Favre - he threw 4 passes his only season w/ Atlanta. Any other QB's who started a majority of games with a lousy team moving to a better team?

Not to rile the Plummer supporters, but I disagree. Plummer is an average Q.B. on a good team and has benefited from that. He has not, however, been a statistical upgrade over Griese. Now some say but what about the intangibles he brings, and I would agree he has more fire in his belly than did Griese. Here's the thing though. Going to Plummer cost the Broncos around 8 million in dead money against the cap for two years. It is just poor economics to lock up that much dead cap space without a remarkable level of upgrade at the position. The money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Not to rile the Plummer supporters, but I disagree. Plummer is an average Q.B. on a good team and has benefited from that. He has not, however, been a statistical upgrade over Griese. Now some say but what about the intangibles he brings, and I would agree he has more fire in his belly than did Griese. Here's the thing though. Going to Plummer cost the Broncos around 8 million in dead money against the cap for two years. It is just poor economics to lock up that much dead cap space without a remarkable level of upgrade at the position. The money could have been better spent elsewhere.
I don't necessarily disagree, but what QB would be a better fit? Plummer is the perfect QB to the offense that Shannahan developed for Elway - based on a QB who can throw on the run. There are no free agent QB's who would work, and the Broncos are not in position to groom a rookie QB at this point.The classic arguement about the 8M vs the cap is that threre isn't anyone who would do better.

Brett Favre.
Not really applicable - we never got to see what the Falcons could do with Favre - he threw 4 passes his only season w/ Atlanta. Any other QB's who started a majority of games with a lousy team moving to a better team?
Kinda threw him in as a joke but, he had thrown 5 passes his entire career, 2 of which were INTs. That's just pretty bad.Rich Gannon.

DW, normally you and I are on the same page, but I don't agree with this.Griese=2nd stringer at best.

Jake=Broncos go to the AFC Championship game with him.

Now I am not a Jake fan at all, but he did a great job this year and just was unfortunate to have his worst game when it most counted.

If we repeat this scenario next year, then I might agree with your post...

I don't necessarily disagree, but what QB would be a better fit? Plummer is the perfect QB to the offense that Shannahan developed for Elway - based on a QB who can throw on the run. There are no free agent QB's who would work, and the Broncos are not in position to groom a rookie QB at this point.The classic arguement about the 8M vs the cap is that threre isn't anyone who would do better.
It's a mute point, but I think David Carr would be an interesting option if he were available and Denver were looking.How about... John McCown. :)

Not to rile the Plummer supporters, but I disagree.  Plummer is an average Q.B. on a good team and has benefited from that.  He has not, however, been a statistical upgrade over Griese.  Now some say but what about the intangibles he brings, and I would agree he has more fire in his belly than did Griese.  Here's the thing though.  Going to Plummer cost the Broncos around 8 million in dead money against the cap for two years.  It is just poor economics to lock up that much dead cap space without a remarkable level of upgrade at the position.  The money could have been better spent elsewhere.
DW, normally you and I are on the same page, but I don't agree with this.Griese=2nd stringer at best.

Jake=Broncos go to the AFC Championship game with him.

Now I am not a Jake fan at all, but he did a great job this year and just was unfortunate to have his worst game when it most counted.

If we repeat this scenario next year, then I might agree with your post...
I'll think on what you say. Plummer is not yet in decline age wise so he could, theoretically, show more growth next year.

Users who are viewing this thread