What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washington high schooler kicks 67-yard field goal (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Washington high schooler kicks 67-yard field goal

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

It's patently absurd that the NFL record for longest field-goal continues to stand at 63 yards.

Tom Dempsey originally set the mark in 1970, and it's been equaled by several others, most recently by David Akers of the San Francisco 49ers back in September.

I have little doubt all 32 starting place kickers in the NFL can break the record given a couple shots at it. The problem is that most kickers never get the opportunity. You coaches with your "field position" theories.

My theory gains more traction with the exploits of a young man by the name of Austin Rehkow. A place kicker at Central Valley High in Spokane, Wash., Rehkow booted a 67-yard field goal on Thursday night. That's right -- a high school senior obliterated a 42-year-old NFL record.

The craziest part? Rehkow doesn't even own the high school mark. Some Duran Duran fan drilled a 68-yarder back in '85, according to MaxPreps.com.

Is Sebastian Janikowski aware this stuff is going on? How about Legatron?

In any event, congrats Austin. That should secure you a homecoming date.

Russell Erxleben kicked 67 yard field goals at UT barefoot in the late `70's. He'd also boom sky high 60+ yard punts with regularity.

He got to the NFL as a 1st round draft pick.... and never amounted to a hill of beans. Actually there are several hills of beans in New Orleans and Austin considerably more liked and respected than Erxleben.

Like every other position in the NFL, having the talent and physical numbers isn't enough.

By the way Zeuerlein's kick from 66 vs Miami looked like a 46 yarder for most kickers, he sure looks like he's going to nail it this year. Still pulling for Tom to keep the record though, I met him once and have a signed photo of his record kick (Alex Karras is rushing in to try to block).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's impressive but they also do kick off of block type things in High School if I'm not mistaken...That's the way it is in most states at least. Could be different in Washington. Still very impressive though.

EDIT: After looking at the video it's hard to tell whether they use on or not...what a boot though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to this high school and have played in this staduim. Really neat to see this. CV was playing against Shadle Park who is lead by Mark Rypeins nephew at QB. On a side note former NFL kicker Mike Hollis also went to school at Central Valley.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Russell Erxleben kicked 67 yard field goals at UT barefoot in the late `70's. He'd also boom sky high 60+ yard punts with regularity.

He got to the NFL as a 1st round draft pick.... and never amounted to a hill of beans. Actually there are several hills of beans in New Orleans and Austin considerably more liked and respected than Erxleben.

Like every other position in the NFL, having the talent and physical numbers isn't enough.

By the way Zeuerlein's kick from 66 vs Miami looked like a 46 yarder for most kickers, he sure looks like he's going to nail it this year. Still pulling for Tom to keep the record though, I met him once and have a signed photo of his record kick (Alex Karras is rushing in to try to block).
No Legatron reference until Post #3? The Pool is slipping.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Russell Erxleben kicked 67 yard field goals at UT barefoot in the late `70's.
Speaking of barefoot kickers, didn't Tony Franklin hit a couple of bombs from around 70 yards in college?

'Landro21 said:
It's impressive but they also do kick off of block type things in High School if I'm not mistaken...That's the way it is in most states at least. Could be different in Washington. Still very impressive though.EDIT: After looking at the video it's hard to tell whether they use on or not...what a boot though!
Who cares he is a kid with a kid snapping and holding. Outdoor stadium. I don't care if he had a 2 inch piece of plastic under the ball

'SaintsInDome2006 said:

There's a Legatron reference in the OP.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:

There's a Legatron reference in the OP.
Doesn't count. Was quote from original article. Read the rule book. :P

'SaintsInDome2006 said:
Russell Erxleben kicked 67 yard field goals at UT barefoot in the late `70's.
Speaking of barefoot kickers, didn't Tony Franklin hit a couple of bombs from around 70 yards in college?
I was in Kyle Field (College Station) when Franklin kicked a 65 yarder AND a 64 yard field goal in the same game (October 1976 against Baylor).

You guys realize the difference, right? Between high schoolers jumping and trying to block the kick Vs guys who are a foot taller, can jump another foot higher, and make millions of dollars to play football and block kicks?

Yeah, not the same thing.

'Landro21 said:
It's impressive but they also do kick off of block type things in High School if I'm not mistaken...That's the way it is in most states at least. Could be different in Washington. Still very impressive though.EDIT: After looking at the video it's hard to tell whether they use on or not...what a boot though!
I was actually wondering if they used a block when I first read the headline. That makes a big difference. Either way it's impressive.On a related note, I still thing the NFL rules should treat a FG like a punt. Make it a live ball that has to be returned, if missed. That would make things a lot more interesting. Teams would attempt 60+ yard FGs all the time. Due to the stupid (IMO) rules where the ball automatically comes back to the spot of the kick teams just punt most of the time.

I think that Duran Duran fan was Emil Marone from Hillsdale NJ.

If it wasn't, Emil was a phenomenal kicker that held many state and national records when he graduated.

He could kick FGs in practice further than the NFL record. (MANY do, ya gotta think about it. Everyone tries the record kick. NFL Ks, college Ks, high school Ks...it's practice)

Anywho, Emil went to Arizona, partied too much and quickly got kicked off the team.

He got tryouts with the Jets and Giants but he was the 22 year old that returned home from college with a huge beer gut and not exactly an athlete.

I can't find them. Garrett Hartley's OU tryout for NFL teams to come check him out...he made ridiculous kicks then.

There are articles somewhere on the web about this.

You might recall he was drafted, hurt, suspended etc and the Saints stuck with him even though he was quite largely unproven. Those kicks are why; I always believed that. I want to say 10 in a row from 70 yards but am hesitant. It's some shocking kicks, let's put it that way.

Kickers may be the wimpiest guys on the field, but they are generally the top or second most mentally tough guys on the team. They don't keep their jobs if they miss. The difference between a practice kick and a game kick is enormous.

Also, the Jets had some famous Australian punter for a few years and kicker for a tryout. I remember their preNFL stats as being shockingly great and it was no surprise the Jets invited them from Australia. Australian football had different rules but clearly those two were blessed with their legs.

I don't think it's that strange that 63 is still the NFL record. This might have been mentioned in the thread already, but the trajectory required in the pros is different than high school because the defenders are bigger and more talented. Couple that with the field position negatives if you miss and it's not something many teams will attempt. In a close game when you need those three points, you usually can't afford to give the other team the ball so close to their own field goal.

It's cool that this kid made the kick, but I think the NFL has it right. I don't want teams settling for three all the time. I want to see drives and more athletic plays to get into field goal range and maybe score. If you could attempt it without a significant field position risk, drives would start stalling out at midfield and it would become "a punt that might get you some points."

Users who are viewing this thread