What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washington Patriots PreSeason Week 1 8.12.2021 Game Observations (1 Viewer)

SeniorVBDStudent

Footballguy
Pats defense looking like pre-covid variety.  Consistent pass rush.  Gave up more runs as the second quarter progressed, presumably as 1s got swapped out with 2s. Judon is a disruptor / beast...and narrowly avoided a knee injury thankfully.

First drive Cam looked awful.  In fairness WFT pass rush was withering.  Second drive looked much better but an errant screen pass under duress.

Jones looked terrific on both drives with ~4 high quality throws.  Changed protections with ease.  Interesting demeanor....very relaxed, smiling and laughing.  One camera shot showed his expression surveying the field under center....looked completely at ease.  

If it were a beauty pageant, I'd say Jones won.  I'd give him an A- and Cam a B.  Limited sample size.

Jonnu Smith broke a no gain tackle into a 10 yard gain....looks like a YAC beast.  Meyers with a couple good grabs.  Agholor didn't play.  Only saw one target to Bourne who failed to get separation or make the catch.  Jakobson with a below the knees catch on a sloppy lateral pass from Jones.

Run game looked comfortable....Harris and Michel indistinguishable.

WFT offense looked more like a work in progress.  Nice catch by Logan Thomas.  Not much more from this Pats homer to report...I was busy watching the defense :D.

Jones looked way better than Cam, IMO. Cam was captain check down and even those were misfires half the time. Jones showed some good accuracy and looked far better in the passing game. With how much Cam's physical gifts have fallen off from injuries, I really don't see them sticking with him very long.

The biggest difference between Jones and Cam Newton in this game is that Jones delivers balls that are really easy to catch. These aren't difficult throws, but he's accurate and on-time.

Gibson being targeted on early downs but not third down. Still, 3 targets in a quarter. He’ll gone early second round in a week. 

sigh. 

Matt Jones has looked good. The timing offense seems to fit him unlike Cam Newton. Not sure if they are running the same type of plays honestly. It seems different.

Stevenson and a new QB in now after a turnover. Some really good juice power and moves by Stevenson who caps off the drive with a TD. That drive was all him, no throws.

Stevenson strikes me as a potential post hype sleeper.  May not get to play much as a rookie, but once he gets a chance could make some noise.

Stevenson playing with the third unit playing against a third defense. Sure, he looked good but he will likely not really be an option until 2022.

There’s been talk of Taylor taking over White’s role next year. 
Not shocking. He looks just like White. And is cheaper. Not much of a market for White, hence one year contract.

Though, White is good and probably takes a lead role. He is good. 

I just looked up the rule and I still don't see how they called it that way. You have to do a football move or some garbage, but it lists tucking the ball, which Gandy-Golden did... No clue. Bad call IMO.
I’m guessing they felt he did not have full possession of the ball long enough and the ball came out on the way down. 

Anarchy thought Stidham had a shot. Not for his faults. But there is no question now who should throw for this team. 

I didn't believe reports Michel was a potential cut. I do now
I thought he looked pretty good on a couple of his runs. There was the one mistake which I noted where I think he could have got more and I think he thinks he could have got more if he didn't use so many shoulder fakes which were slowing him down. He punches the ground in frustration after the play.

What did you see from him that makes you think he is a potential cut?

I thought he looked pretty good on a couple of his runs. There was the one mistake which I noted where I think he could have got more and I think he thinks he could have got more if he didn't use so many shoulder fakes which were slowing him down. He punches the ground in frustration after the play.

What did you see from him that makes you think he is a potential cut?
More about the other backs. I'm not unaware the talent was lesser in the second half but the Pats have a pretty good stable of backs to run at ya; they'd be fine losing one so it's definitely possible

As a FF message board, should be mentioned (as was on the broadcast), NE Kicker (Nordin) has a cannon for a leg. May not make the team if Folk comes back healthy and we all know how much Bill loves his vets. Consistency is an issue (missed a PAT!). But would not put 60+ yarders out of his range.  

I didn't believe reports Michel was a potential cut. I do now
Huh? He had 6 carries for 26 yards, including one where he got smothered as soon as he touched the ball. He has been getting 50% of the first team snaps with Harris . . . and they have been using him in the receiving camp in training camp. He's not getting cut. The ones that may be fighting for a roster spot are White and Bolden.

Huh? He had 6 carries for 26 yards, including one where he got smothered as soon as he touched the ball. He has been getting 50% of the first team snaps with Harris . . . and they have been using him in the receiving camp in training camp. He's not getting cut. The ones that may be fighting for a roster spot are White and Bolden.
white? For real? I haven’t paid much attention but I would have guessed that BB keeps him around based on system knowledge and work ethic. I get that BB likes to make sure he parts ways with a player a year before it’s obvious but this is surprising. Again, coming from a position of ignorance. 

white? For real? I haven’t paid much attention but I would have guessed that BB keeps him around based on system knowledge and work ethic. I get that BB likes to make sure he parts ways with a player a year before it’s obvious but this is surprising. Again, coming from a position of ignorance. 
White endured personal tragedy last year (parents in a car accident, one of them died). He didn't really click playing with Cam and put up really pedestrian numbers . . . his lowest totals in 6 years as a regular contributor. His ypc was just 3.5 on a team with two other backs in the 5.0+ range (and Taylor just missing that mark). White shopped around as a free agent earlier this offseason and didn't get a lot of interest. 

He clearly meshed better with Brady than Newton and will be 29 years old. I am not the only one wondering if the fit is still that great (or if it will be better once Jones takes over). He came back for around $2.3 million guaranteed, so they would have to trade him instead of cut him to recoup any cap space. A lot will depend on how much they like Taylor, as I have seen a wide range of opinions on Taylor . . . from a White replacement, a practice squad stash, to being outright released.

I would guess they try to keep Harris, Michel, White, Taylor, and Stevenson and release Bolden and then add Bolden back to the practice squad since veter4ans are still eligible. They are using the same rules as last year, so guys can come on and off the practice squad each week.

Interesting

More about the other backs. I'm not unaware the talent was lesser in the second half but the Pats have a pretty good stable of backs to run at ya; they'd be fine losing one so it's definitely possible
There have been rumors of Michel being traded, and the depth they have could facilitate the Patriots desire to do so.

I doubt they would just cut him though because of their depth. 

Users who are viewing this thread