What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wawa stores (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
What's the deal with Wawa gas station/conveinence stores? A few have opened in the Tampa Bay area recently and I keep hearing people talk about them like they are some sort of super store. I even heard someone on the radio say 'WaWa is not a store, its a way of life.' :rolleyes:

They are based in New Jersey, so maybe someone from there can shed some light. What makes them better than your every day gas station store?

Ill hang up and listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grew up in Jersey. Their made to order subs are excellent for where you're getting them. The coffee is very good too, with a variety of strengths and flavors.

What's the deal with WaWa gas station/conveinence stores? A few have opened in the Tampa Bay area recently and I keep hearing people talk about them like they are some sort of super store. I even heard someone on the radio say 'WaWa is not a store, its a way of life.' :rolleyes:They are based in New Jersey, so maybe someone from there can shed some light. What makes them better than your every day gas station store? Ill hang up and listen.
It's a store that is in some locations a convenience store only, and others a gas station and convenience store. Started in Wawa, PA where headquarters is decades ago (sorry, too lazy to lookup exact year) and got its roots in the Southeastern PA, NJ, Delaware area. People like it because they're known for not being the best, but for being a consistent middle-better quality hoagie or sandwich that be had on the go and not second guessed for quality, you know it's going to taste good and be made how you asked for it. Menu has grown over time, and people just like the fact that they're everywhere and a reliable option I'd gather. Enjoy!

I grew up in Philly. If you're from the NY/NJ area you basically love Wawa. Clean, cheap, fresh, fast. Instead of walking into a nasty, dirty 7-Eleven or other second rate convenience store WaWa was always brighter and fresher and everything tastes better. In the last few years there have been some other stores (specifically Quick Check) that have begun copying the WaWa "fresh" model and I'm guessing other stores are catching up but WaWa's food is still better. I still go to WaWa a few times a week, they also have the cheapest gas in my area.

Love WaWa, when I lived in CA for almost 10 years that was one of the things I missed most.

They're not bad, but I prefer Sheetz, which is essentially the same thing (just better imo)

What's the deal with WaWa gas station/conveinence stores? A few have opened in the Tampa Bay area recently and I keep hearing people talk about them like they are some sort of super store. I even heard someone on the radio say 'WaWa is not a store, its a way of life.' :rolleyes:They are based in New Jersey, so maybe someone from there can shed some light. What makes them better than your every day gas station store? Ill hang up and listen.
They've been in the NE since I was a kid.The FL equivalent is Publix, I think.

Wawa was always the last stop before home back in the drunk and/or stoned every night of the week days. NJ tradition. Italian classic, side of chips, gatorade.

Gas stations popping up everywhere and I'm noticing they are almost always the cheapest.

I will destroy you.

There is another place going up in Tampa called Thorntons. Never heard of that one.

I grew up in Philly. If you're from the NY/NJ area you basically love Wawa. Clean, cheap, fresh, fast. Instead of walking into a nasty, dirty 7-Eleven or other second rate convenience store WaWa was always brighter and fresher and everything tastes better. In the last few years there have been some other stores (specifically Quick Check) that have begun copying the WaWa "fresh" model and I'm guessing other stores are catching up but WaWa's food is still better. I still go to WaWa a few times a week, they also have the cheapest gas in my area.Love WaWa, when I lived in CA for almost 10 years that was one of the things I missed most.
This. But it's funny to see the cult like following. It's just what a convenience store is supposed to be.

So what makes WaWa better than a gas station with a subway or Blimpie in it? Oh, and I saw on Thorntons website they have a beer cave.

So what makes WaWa better than a gas station with a subway or Blimpie in it? Oh, and I saw on Thorntons website they have a beer cave.
Their subs are better than Subway and cheaper.
Seriously. You don't really understand until you've actually been to one. I miss WaWa all the time. Ned said it best. "It's what a convenience store is supposed to be".
Bathrooms always clean and they started the "No Fee" ATMs 10 years ago or so

They're better, but not cheaper. And with so many Italian/pizza places in Philly and SJ that sell much better hoagies, I don't get the love for WaWa hoagies.
10 inch Italian is $4.69 at WaWa. And yeah going to a small mom and pop joint might be better, but as far as the category of WaWa/Subway/Blimpie/Sheetz. WaWa wins hands down.

They're better, but not cheaper. And with so many Italian/pizza places in Philly and SJ that sell much better hoagies, I don't get the love for WaWa hoagies.
How many places near you are open at 3am?

10 inch Italian is $4.69 at WaWa. And yeah going to a small mom and pop joint might be better, but as far as the category of WaWa/Subway/Blimpie/Sheetz. WaWa wins hands down.
Current special sale price for all Classic hoagies is $4.79. Regular price is over $5. Not sure where you got $4.69 from.

True.I'd say it's mainly Wawa's ubiquity that led to the obsession. It's not like it's Xanadu, but yes it is better than any other convenience store and there is always one anywhere you need it.

Current special sale price for all Classic hoagies is $4.79. Regular price is over $5. Not sure where you got $4.69 from.
I got it when I was there yesterday. Honestly could have been priced at $4.79 I didn't pay much attention since I got chips and a drink and added bacon for less than $10. More meat on the sandwich than you will find in any other sub shop in their class. It's not even debatable IMO, you either haven't been or have horrible taste in sandwiches.

True.I'd say it's mainly Wawa's ubiquity that led to the obsession. It's not like it's Xanadu, but yes it is better than any other convenience store and there is always one anywhere you need it.
Yeah, and perhaps I'm like a kid in a candy shop but they have everything. The milk shake machines, icees, soft pretzels, WaWa iced teas, hoagies, breakfast sandwiches, etc. I probably overrate it but every time I go, I walk out with tons of crap I don't need but love.

When I was in Jersey, if I'm ordering a sub from an Italian shop, I am either calling it in ahead of time or going inside and waiting 10 minutes while they make it. With Wawa, walk in up, go up to the machine, hit a bunch of buttons and out comes the paper with your exact ingredients for them to follow. Go pay, and 95% of the time, it's ready when you get back. I've had 100s of Wawa subs and I could probably count the number of times there's been an ingredient missing on Dennis Hopper's deformed hand in Speed. Don't underestimate the value of the printed order slip.

I got it when I was there yesterday. Honestly could have been priced at $4.79 I didn't pay much attention since I got chips and a drink and added bacon for less than $10. More meat on the sandwich than you will find in any other sub shop in their class. It's not even debatable IMO, you either haven't been or have horrible taste in sandwiches.
I live less than a half mile from one. I've had plenty of WaWa hoagies. They're fine, but they're not the life changing sandwich Jersey folks make them out to be. I think the Philly/Jersey WaWa obsession is just part of the whole Jersey mentality where anything that is somewhat exclusive to the area gets elevated to "best thing ever!!!!" as part of the "us versus the world" Jersey mentality.

Im working in Orlando tonight, might have to make a pitstop, get a sub and see what all the fuss is about.

Any recommendations an a particular sub, or is it pretty much build your own? Also, I like Smoothies so I might grab one of those, too.

I liked them when I lived up there. Good coffee, decent subs, some fresh fruit, good beverage and snack selection, delicious soft pretzels. They also have good breakfast sandwiches right by the registers under hot lamps. As convenience stores go, it's by the far the best I've seen. I wouldn't go out of my way for any of their stuff but they're good in a pinch.

Breakfast sandwiches are $$$.

Subs are just ok. Meat is pretty subpar but no worse than Subway I suppose.

Good smoothies, great coffee, and the pastry/donuts they put out every morning rival Dunkin Donuts.

I've lived in Philly, Pittsburgh, and north jersey and I've had both wawa and sheetz. Wawa wins and its not close. Chickensalad hoagie is like crack as is the croissant breakfast sandwich.

Excellent value sub. Unlike a pizza place, you have a variety of drinks and chips to choose from making for a much better sandwich combination meal. Sheetz was the original MTO establishment earning them a special place in my heart. Wawa was of course smart enough to catch on with that unlike other places that still make you talk to a human being.

Sheetz is way better. Philly/NJ folks are nuts about their WaWa though.
Exactly. Sheetz is the Hulk Hogan to WaWa's Hill Billy Jim...may look the similar, but just ain't close.
I've been to sheetz numerous times on my trips out to pittsburgh. last year, stopped in to get a sub. only had french's yellow mustard; no spicy brown. now i don't know who the hell even eats french's yellow, but to only have that is an unforgivable sin.

Breakfast sandwiches are $$$.Subs are just ok. Meat is pretty subpar but no worse than Subway I suppose. Good smoothies, great coffee, and the pastry/donuts they put out every morning rival Dunkin Donuts.
Plus there's no false pretense of getting a 12in. sandwich (Five Dollar "Footlong") when you order a Classic. Says 10in. right under the logo and on the screen.

Exactly. Sheetz is the Hulk Hogan to WaWa's Hill Billy Jim...may look the similar, but just ain't close.
I've been to sheetz numerous times on my trips out to pittsburgh. last year, stopped in to get a sub. only had french's yellow mustard; no spicy brown. now i don't know who the hell even eats french's yellow, but to only have that is an unforgivable sin.
"Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" Seriously, do you walk into a dive bar and demand Chimay, LHUCKS?

Wawa hoagies aren't the best hoagies in the world. They're cheap and fresh and good but they're not a great Philly hoagie. Most pizza places, mom and pops, and hoagie joints in Philly or the surrounding area are better than Wawa. However, Wawa is better than 95% of the hoagies outside of the Philly area. It's actually near impossible getting a good hoagie if you're outside of the Amoroso roll delivery area.

No offense but if you use words like sub or hero or try bringing places likie Subway or Quiznos into the conversation you have no idea what you're talking about. Every area has their thing. I wouldn't even begin to dictate good BBQ to someone from Memphis or compare Mexican food in Philly to anything in Southern California. Certain regions just have their things and hoagies/cheesesteaks are Philly's. If you grew up in Philly you just can't find anything that compares anywhere else in the country unless they're trying to replicate what we have, like a Philly's Best or Philly grill. So an average to below average hoagie in Philly, like WaWa, is a GREAT hoagie anywhere else. Comparing it to Sheetz is like comparing Taco Bell to Taco Nazo.

"Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?" Seriously, do you walk into a dive bar and demand Chimay, LHUCKS?
Its golden's spicy brown or the supermarket version for that matter. I'm really hoping for your sake that price wise, spicy brown isn't the chimay of mustard.

Great, fresh food.Awesome ordering system.Good tasting coffee.Crushes 7 11.
This pretty much nails it. Throw in cheap gas and quick service at the pump, probably because their single pump layout gets less clogged up by traffic than the standard double pump islands every other station has.Their salads are pretty fresh, 99 cent jumbo pretzels, and breakfast sandwiches are all rock solid. Every couple months they'll do an any size coffee for $1 promotion that rocks. They just added cappuccinos/lattes to their ordering system that's one cut below Starbucks.

Users who are viewing this thread