What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ways to watch the NFL (legally) (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
So there are ways in which to watch the NFL legally that I thought deserved it's own thread, as you may be able to utilize one of these without even knowing it.  Please add more legal ways if you now of them.

1) obviously OTA in whatever area you're in.  Typically if you can get FOX, CBS, and NBC you'll have access to 3 games total in the 1PM and 4PM (east coast time) slots, as well as the Sunday night games this year (NBC), and 11 of the Thursday night games (between CBS early in the year and NBC later on). 

2) cable - same as above, but would likely get you ESPN which carries all of the Monday night games.  Might also include NFL network which will get you the rest of the Thursday night games, and three Saturday games this year (seriously, Saturday games now?!).

3) Amazon prime - The 11 Thursday games (and xmas day game) mentioned above will also be streamed on prime this year.  This doesn't get you anything extra that you wouldn't already get with NBC and CBS, though.

4) directv Sunday Ticket - we all know this one.  Get all the out of network stuff on Sunday as well, but you may not know of ....

4a) directv Sunday ticket for students - you can stream Sunday ticket if you're a student, included Redzone. $100 for the year I think.  and...

4b) direct TV streaming if you can't get a dish where you live.  $200-300 I think.

5) NFL game pass - watch preseason games live (including out of network) as well as regular season games after they're over (typically the next day I believe).  $100 for the year. 

6) local sports bar, obviously. 

What else ya got for legal viewing?

Don't forget all the new streaming options like SlingTV, DirecTV Now and Playstation Vue.  These basically allow you to watch cable channels but without the contracts or equipment, just stream it on the proper devices.  Allows you the ability to watch ESPN, NFL Network and even NFL Red Zone.

Twitter will be streaming 10 Thursday night games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget all the new streaming options like SlingTV, DirecTV Now and Playstation Vue.  These basically allow you to watch cable channels but without the contracts or equipment, just stream it on the proper devices.  Allows you the ability to watch ESPN, NFL Network and even NFL Red Zone.
What streaming options have Red Zone available?  I haven't looked into those too much.

CBS All-Access. For $6/month, it'll give you all the games that would be available on your local CBS station.

Also, about Red zone (and this affects me) it's available on Verizon smartphones.  The NFL channel is free, the Redzone is an in app purchase ($2/m I think). 

You can also apparently watch it on the NFL app on Windows 10 devices, as well as other tables/smartphones and such.  Not sure if you need a TV package with it as well or not.

For anyone who already has a Dish account and has a Sling enabled receiver you have the ability to watch any of your subscribed channels from anywhere you have a device with the Dish Anywhere app and internet.  This can be nice if you are out of state and want to watch your favorite team but they're not on TV in your area.

I feel like this option is overlooked a lot

4. NFL Mobile on Verizon

One of the best deals in football—provided you're a Verizon customer—is the company's NFL Mobile service, especially now that Verizon has dropped the $5-per-month fee. Every game isn't available, but the service lets Verizon customers stream many local and national NFL games from Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, NFL on Fox, and NFL on CBS, to your phone. You still have to pay $2 a month to add NFL Red Zone, which features every touchdown from every game on Sunday.

I feel like this option is overlooked a lot

4. NFL Mobile on Verizon

One of the best deals in football—provided you're a Verizon customer—is the company's NFL Mobile service, especially now that Verizon has dropped the $5-per-month fee. Every game isn't available, but the service lets Verizon customers stream many local and national NFL games from Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, NFL on Fox, and NFL on CBS, to your phone. You still have to pay $2 a month to add NFL Red Zone, which features every touchdown from every game on Sunday.
Yeah, but it's on your phone.  I'm a verizon guy and used it a bit last year, but there isn't a good way to get it from the phone to your TV (you can't chromecast it for instance). 

Twitter will be streaming 10 Thursday night games.
I tried NFL Sunday package for Roku last year and thought it sucked. I saw ads for Sling offering out of market games but that doesn't seem to be the case. As a cordcutter that lives in Chicago, there are few things more disheartening than watching the Bears.

I tried NFL Sunday package for Roku last year and thought it sucked. I saw ads for Sling offering out of market games but that doesn't seem to be the case. As a cordcutter that lives in Chicago, there are few things more disheartening than watching the Bears.
Watching the Bears has been tough but they're my team and I still like to watch them.  My favorite channel is the Red Zone and during Bears games I will have them both on split screen.

Sling does have the RedZone channel. So you can always watch that instead.

i meant through an app.  i own none of those options.  for example, the direct tv app or the verizon one.
You're not going to be able to watch it through an app for free. It's going to require a paid service and an app to deliver it. 

5) NFL game pass - watch preseason games live (including out of network) as well as regular season games after they're over (typically the next day I believe).  $100 for the year. 
I wish it was this price in the areas i live.

Its US $286 in Japan

and 

US $302 in Australia 

CBS All-Access. For $6/month, it'll give you all the games that would be available on your local CBS station.
Has anyone used a VPN to change their local market? Or is the "local market" based on the zip code associated with the credit card you used to purchase the package?

Has anyone used a VPN to change their local market? Or is the "local market" based on the zip code associated with the credit card you used to purchase the package?
If that's considered legal (thread title), why not just vpn out of north America and get the whole ticket plus red zone & nfl network?  I think the going rate might be around $185. 

If that's considered legal (thread title), why not just vpn out of north America and get the whole ticket plus red zone & nfl network?  I think the going rate might be around $185. 
I didn't even realize that was illegal.

But to answer your question it's because if you just wanted to watch a game or two each week for $6/month for 4 months..... you would be paying a LOT less than $185. And for the moment I am living/working outside the U.S. btw. I have been paying for the NFL network outside the U.S. but often times the quality of the streaming is just awful when compared to Netflix or Amazon with the same internet connection. Thought I might give CBS a chance to see if the streaming quality was better.

I didn't even realize that was illegal.

But to answer your question it's because if you just wanted to watch a game or two each week for $6/month for 4 months..... you would be paying a LOT less than $185. And for the moment I am living/working outside the U.S. btw. I have been paying for the NFL network outside the U.S. but often times the quality of the streaming is just awful when compared to Netflix or Amazon with the same internet connection. Thought I might give CBS a chance to see if the streaming quality was better.
I don't think it is illegal. And the quality issue is weird, crystal clear HD for me last year. 

I wish it was this price in the areas i live.

Its US $286 in Japan

and 

US $302 in Australia 
This is the problem I have in Japan. You do get live games in-season, but that doesn't do me much good when they start at 2AM Monday. I am mostly watching 30-minute replay after the games end. If they had the $100 option with no live games I would be all over it.

This is the problem I have in Japan. You do get live games in-season, but that doesn't do me much good when they start at 2AM Monday. I am mostly watching 30-minute replay after the games end. If they had the $100 option with no live games I would be all over it.
I swear that one of the 1st seasons game pass was around there was a version for purchase that had no live stuff

That's a good question. I think I had to put my zip code in when I signed in, but I'll check into that and report back.

I don't think it is illegal. And the quality issue is weird, crystal clear HD for me last year. 
Well, sometimes overseas internet can be a little...... uneven. Netflix is crystal clear. And so is amazon. NFL comes and goes. Hopefully CBS is better.

Yeah, but it's on your phone.  I'm a verizon guy and used it a bit last year, but there isn't a good way to get it from the phone to your TV (you can't chromecast it for instance). 
is there some sort of cable that can connect micro usb to hdmi?

jtd13 said:
What's wrong with option 5 in the OP?

I swear that one of the 1st seasons game pass was around there was a version for purchase that had no live stuff
I haven't gotten it every year, but I thought that awhile back it was the same price or just a bit more than US gamepass, but still had the live games. VPNers from the US probably ruined that for us. You jerks :lol:

I might try VPN and buy the US version of gamepass this year. I bought it in Japan last year, and watched maybe 5 live games.

So the SlingTV has me interested. Pick your channels? Sure. Give me Redzone.

But you have to pick a basic package first. Fine. It'll be nice to have ESPN and NFL Network and NBATV. 

But to get both ESPN and NFL Network you have to get the premium package lol. $40 + $10 for sports package. That's pretty much what cable costs!

Anyways, to get Redzone it's $35 and you get some other #### too.

But you have to pick a basic package first. Fine. It'll be nice to have ESPN and NFL Network and NBATV. 

But to get both ESPN and NFL Network you have to get the premium package lol. $40 + $10 for sports package. That's pretty much what cable costs!

Cable is a lot more than $50 around here, it may start out that way...

Take some adult classes at local college(some are free).

Get Sunday Ticket for $25 a month. I'm in an apt so can't get DTV. 

While true, the nice thing with Sling is your price won't go up after a year like it does with cable/satellite. You may get 1yr of your 2yr deal at $50 with cable/satellite, but then it doubles in year 2. Also, you can cancel Sling whenever and not have to pay a termination fee.

I was paying $83/month with DirecTV before I left for Sling. I now pay $55 for sling, so even then, I'm still saving money every month and have the majority of the channels that I watched with DirecTV.

for those of you wiht Roku, I added private channel "USTVNOW" over the weekend and it appears to give you ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC,  for free. Read online that the Networks are out of Harrisburg, PA. Hoping to get NFL games...we will see.

http://watch.ustvnow.com/home

Sooo... due to a little mishap in the DirecTV thread, I suddenly find myself without any television service.

Is there somewhere online to watch these games, without having to subscribe to all the streaming crap?

Sooo... due to a little mishap in the DirecTV thread, I suddenly find myself without any television service.

Is there somewhere online to watch these games, without having to subscribe to all the streaming crap?
Legally - After they've aired, yes.  Live, no. 

Not quite so legally - check some threads in the Free for all.

Users who are viewing this thread