What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 03 2022 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help. And thank you to all of the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Mayfield vs Den or Matt Ryan @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let's kick off Week 3!

I always post results of my head-2-head choices for the previous week and keep a season long tally. I compare those results to the results if I used a coin toss instead.

I don't keep a tally when asked to choose between more than two players because I'm not sure how to score it and don't want to get into fractions to keep the tally.

Week 2:
I went 17-15-1 in my calls and the coin toss went 14-18-1

On the season I am: 43-33-4 and the coin toss is 37-39-4

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

I had Jameis locked in as my #2 QB but I also have Goff.

Jameis Winston @ Carolina
Jared Goff @ Minnesota

OR bench both, which is almost unheard of in SF leagues, and go with one of these guys:

Curtis Samuel v Phili
James Robinson @ Chargers
Darrell Henderson @ Arizona

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

Jared Goff @ Minnesota

OR bench both, which is almost unheard of in SF leagues, and go with one of these guys:

Curtis Samuel v Phili

Go-off

Thanks as always Chaka! -- standard scoring

1) Who to grab to replace TE Schultz? Assuming he doesn't play this week.

• OJ Howard
  • L. Thomas
  • I. Smith
  • M. Gesecki
  • J. Johnson
  • E. Engram
2) Need one for flex:

• D. London
  • T. Pollard
  • R. Stevenson
  • E. Moore

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

Jared Goff @ Minnesota

Curtis Samuel v Phili

goff

• OJ Howard
  • L. Thomas
  • I. Smith
  • M. Gesecki
  • J. Johnson
  • E. Engram
2) Need one for flex:

• D. London
  • T. Pollard
  • R. Stevenson
  • E. Moore
At this point I can't see recommending Howard & Gesicki.

I know Juwan Johnson is kind of a TE darling ATM but I would wait on a status on Kamara before he becomes an option in my book. Even then with the three WRs in front of him he's fourth on the team in targets and fourth in receptions. Throw in a road game against an uninspiring offense and a QB with a broken back and I think you roll the dice on other options.

Logan Thomas is probably what we have seen him as the first two weeks. 4-5 targets, low yardage and TD dependent, which isn't great because he hasn't received a look inside the 10 yard line so far this season (he has two targets inside the 20). He's fourth on the team in targets with 11 but six players have at least 10 targets in Washington and Thomas is fifth in receptions. He feels like a low floor, low ceiling option IMO.

Irv Smith is certainly an option but I wonder how much of his production had to do with the good job the Eagles did on the Viking WRs. Detroit won't cause nearly as big a problem for them, but it's Detroit and that defense gives up a lot of points. Irv is definitely an option, I just don't know how much confidence you should have in him.

Evan Engram is the most interesting option in my book. He is in on about 70% of snaps, is third on the team in targets with 12 (Zay Jones has 13) and 2nd in receptions (11). the Chargers have given up some yards to TEs and, unless Herbert sits the Jags offense should (highly unpredictable) have to throw the ball a little bit.

Non elite TEs are always a bit of a crap shoot but, IMO:

Engram>Irv>throw a dart

For your flex I don't think you can go with Moore considering your other options.

I was happy to be wrong about Tony Pollard last week and I hope it's a sign of things to come. He wasn't on the field nearly as much as Zeke but when was the Cowboys went to him 2/3 of the time (16 opportunities on 24 snaps). He got one fewer opportunity than Zeke on half as many snaps. I hope this means the Cowboys realize that they if they feed both backs they can be effective on offense. I don't know what to expect from the Giants, they are better than the Bengals ATM (we all doubt that lasts) but this is definitely a winnable game.

How about Drake London? He is second on the Falcons pass catchers for snap count but is dominating the others in targets and receptions. 19 targets for 13-160-1 is not too shabby. Not sure if Ramsey was on him last week but who cares? He looks like the real deal. Mariota is being efficient if not effective and he is keeping plays alive with his legs. This is a winnable game for the Falcons but, I hate them being on the road particularly in Seattle who will focus on making this a low scoring affair.

Unless we hear some news about Damien Harris not playing I can't endorse Rhamondre ATM. @Anarchy99 knows all things Patriots and Bill Belichick. He thinks if Harris were truly injured BB wouldn't have let him speak with the media last week. He spoke so I'm inclined to believe the Patriots anticipate him being in the lineup. Rhamondre was on the field for 15 more snaps than Harris this week but Harris still out opportunitied him 17-11. The week before Harris had 8 more snaps and still out opportunitied him 12-10. Throw in that Harris seems to be the clear goal line option I am going to continue to be down on Rhamondre. Mind you, like most, I think this guy has real upside week-over-week but I hate trying to predict that kind of upside.

For me its a very close one between London & Pollard, because I like a roadie in Seattle less than a roadie in New York I'm going with:
Pollard>London

PPR league - need one flex:

Etienne
Edmonds
Pollard
Metcalf
Mooney

Leaning Pollard here...
I agree almost 100%

Metcalf is such a talent and he is getting 6.5 looks per game but, so far it doesn't look like Geno knows how to unlock him in 2022. The only reason I really hesitate is last season it looked like Geno knew exactly how to unlock Metcalf. In the four games Geno played DK went for 21 targets for 17-251-4 (I removed the stats from Wilson in the first game). You have to think, at some point, they will find that again. Atlanta appears to represent such an opportunity.

But, I just spoke about Pollard above and I do agree with you.

Pollard>DK

OK, let's go through a few now that my waivers have run:

0.5 PPR, need RB and flex:
Monty vs Texans
Sanders @ Washington
JRob @ Clippers
Allen vs Jaguars if active

Full PPR, need WR, flex and if Kamara is inactive, an RB as well:
Lockett vs Falcons
Renfrow @ Titans
Olave @ Panthers
Henderson @ Cards
JRob @ Clippers

Full PPR, need WR and 2 flex:
Gage vs Packers
Boyd @ Jets
Claypool @ Browns
Singletary @ Dolphins
Mostert vs Bills

Picked up Goff. Question is whether I use him @Minnesota or stick with Russ vs SF. Leaning Goff in part because I have to see something from Russ before I can trust him and in part because I have the SF D (and Javonte) in my lineup, so I'm really not psyched about limiting my upside. Not to mention that if your DST is considered a smash start against your QB, that might be a sign that you don't have a very good QB.

In another league, deciding between JRobinson and Henderson in a non-PPR. Leaning JRob because he seems to have a more guaranteed role in the backfield, but it's close

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

Jared Goff @ Minnesota

Curtis Samuel v Phili
I like Goff in a game that has a good chance of getting into the 50’s. NO-Car should be another ugly game in the 30’s.

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

Jared Goff @ Minnesota

Curtis Samuel v Phili
Goff and it is not even close. Not sure if Winston has recovered from his injury and I expect Goff to be in a shootout. Goff's floor is better than what I would expect from some of those options and you would have to get lucky and pick the correct one that goes off (assuming 1 does).

Picked up Goff. Question is whether I use him @Minnesota or stick with Russ vs SF. Leaning Goff in part because I have to see something from Russ before I can trust him and in part because I have the SF D (and Javonte) in my lineup, so I'm really not psyched about limiting my upside. Not to mention that if your DST is considered a smash start against your QB, that might be a sign that you don't have a very good QB.

In another league, deciding between JRobinson and Henderson in a non-PPR. Leaning JRob because he seems to have a more guaranteed role in the backfield, but it's close

Just based off the early chemistry of the respective offenses, it's an easy call to go with 16. Add that Jeudy has bruised ribs (thankfully nothing serious.)

Monty vs Texans
Sanders @ Washington
JRob @ Clippers
  1. Allen
  2. Montgomery > Sanders >> Robinson
Lockett vs Falcons
Renfrow @ Titans
Olave @ Panthers
Henderson @ Cards
JRob @ Clippers

1. Lockett <coinflip> Renfrow
  2. Robinson
Gage vs Packers
Boyd @ Jets
Claypool @ Browns
Singletary @ Dolphins
Mostert vs Bills

1. Gage
  2. Claypool
  3. Mostert <coin flip> Singletary

4. Boyd

I envy some of your choices...
PPR, need to choose 2:
Olave @Car
Shepard vs Dal
Mooney vs Hou
Perriman vsGB (if Julio sits)

Monty vs Texans
Sanders @ Washington
JRob @ Clippers
  1. Allen
  2. Montgomery > Sanders >> Robinson
Lockett vs Falcons
Renfrow @ Titans
Olave @ Panthers
Henderson @ Cards
JRob @ Clippers

1. Lockett <coinflip> Renfrow

2. Robinson
Gage vs Packers
Boyd @ Jets
Claypool @ Browns
Singletary @ Dolphins
Mostert vs Bills

1. Gage
  2. Claypool
  3. Mostert <coin flip> Singletary

4. Boyd
Didn’t Renfrew have a concussion issue at the end of the Cards game?

Didn’t Renfrew have a concussion issue at the end of the Cards game?

Yep, said he was being evaluated for concussion Sunday night. Haven’t heard of him being in the protocol but of course typically we don’t get much info Mon/Tue. Should have an update today.

I'll start:

12 Team, Super-flex, PPR

Jared Goff @ Minnesota

Curtis Samuel v Phili
Goff easily.

• OJ Howard
  • L. Thomas
  • I. Smith
  • M. Gesecki
  • J. Johnson
  • E. Engram
2) Need one for flex:

• D. London
  • T. Pollard
  • R. Stevenson
  • E. Moore
Thomas>Engram/Smith>Gesicki>JJ/OJ

I like London here, but keep an eye on the health of NE RBs. If Harris is out, you can make a case for RS.

Standard pt per 25 yds passing and 4 pts per TD pass.....start 1 QB.

Brady or Goff?
Goff. He just has more weapons right now.

Yeah, that’s the way I’m looking at it. No Evans no Godwin Julio Iffy Gage not clicking yet. Volume should tilt to the GoAT, Goff hasn’t had a 300 yard g in 54 weeks. But he’s doing a good job managing Ben Johnson’s offense and the banged up OL has been fantastic.

Superflex league, pt per 25 yds passing and 4 pts per TD. Already starting Cousins in one QB slot. I am likely a favorite this week over my opponent.

Brady vs GB or D Jones vs DAL?

PPR league - need one flex:

Etienne
Edmonds
Pollard
Metcalf
Mooney

Leaning Pollard here...

1. Metcalf

2. Pollard
  3. Edmonds
  4. Etienne
  5. Mooney
I don't think there is that big of a gap but it is tough to choose between those 3 RBs. I would choose between Metcalf and Pollard (benching ETN and Edmonds this week) but I have a feeling Mooney is going to break out and more than double his season production thus far.

Superflex league, pt per 25 yds passing and 4 pts per TD. Already starting Cousins in one QB slot. I am likely a favorite this week over my opponent.

Brady vs GB or D Jones vs DAL?
Normally this would be a no brainer but who does Brady have to throw to? They upheld the suspension to Evans so he is definitely out. We won't know anything until later this week about Godwin or Julio and who knows how effective they will be if they do play injured. I would probably still lean Brady but I might change my mind later this week.

OK, let's go through a few now that my waivers have run:

Monty vs Texans
Sanders @ Washington
JRob @ Clippers
For the your first choice I think you pretty much cannot go wrong. You may miss but not because of anything you can reason your way through.

Sanders is clearly the lead back in Phili and, despite the ultimate TD vulture, first and foremost you need opportunity and Sanders is getting that in spades. He isn't much of a receiver but 15-20 opportunities locked in with a plus matchup. Teams don't run a lot against the Commadores, 8th fewest attempts against, but they are giving up tons of yardage early in the season with 157ypg at a staggering 7.5 yards per attempt. They made James Robinson look like Jackie Robinson and even if that doesn't make sense, it makes sense.

Monty is also getting plenty of volume and looked good against a strong defense (on paper) last week on the road. The Texans are giving up the third most rush attempts and the third most rush yards at a 4.7 per rush. The Bears are at home and this is their first legit opportunity at a win that wasn't weather assisted. I like Monty here.

I have been beating the drum for J.Robinson but I can't endorse him 100% when you have other solid options. It's a cross country roadie against a stout defense and an offense that can put up points in bunches. IF Herbert is truly hurting and IF Allen is out (or limited) maybe the Jags can keep pace and give their backs opportunities. Heck, it's only week 3 maybe the Jags are the team we saw last week and the go to San Diego (yes, I know and no, I don't care) and win outright. I'm just not willing to bet my magic football season on it when I have better options.

Pretty much in the same boat for Allen. With his potential to be limited and Herbert's I think you go with your better options.

Montgomery>Sanders>Allen/Robinson

1) TE+: Pitts or Logan Thomas?

2) 0.5 PPR, TE+: pick 2- James Robinson, Keenan Allen, Adam Thielen, Cordarelle Patterson, Logan Thomas

3) PPR, TE+: Cordarelle Patterson, Amari Cooper, or Zach Ertz

Thanks!!

Russ Wilson vs 49er
Or
Wentz in the revenge game

There are no good options here but for now I have Wentz in my lineup
I am SO frustrated with Russ thus far so I would be fine making that call. I am going to stupidly go back to the well in the 2 leagues where I have him. 1 being a 2 QB league so the pickings are slim.

Russ Wilson vs 49er
Or

I am SO frustrated with Russ thus far so I would be fine making that call. I am going to stupidly go back to the well in the 2 leagues where I have him. 1 being a 2 QB league so the pickings are slim.
I’m putting it on Hackett 100%. Bad play calling, indecisive in critical situations, inexplicable use of run game & personnel, and just overall incompetence.

I’m optimistic Russ will be ok but that 49ers defense scares me. Plus, I hate rooting against my own team.

2) 0.5 PPR, TE+: pick 2- James Robinson, Keenan Allen, Adam Thielen, Cordarelle Patterson, Logan Thomas

Thanks!!
I am not benching Pitts for Thomas

James Robinson and Allen if he plays and Herbert is the QB. If not than Patterson

Patterson

Russ Wilson vs 49er
Or

I’m putting it on Hackett 100%. Bad play calling, indecisive in critical situations, inexplicable use of run game & personnel, and just overall incompetence.

I’m optimistic Russ will be ok but that 49ers defense scares me. Plus, I hate rooting against my own team.
Maybe I should pick up Goff and play him in my league that runs waivers tomorrow.

Thanks!!
I am not benching Pitts for Thomas

James Robinson and Allen if he plays and Herbert is the QB. If not than Patterson

Patterson
I’m benching Hock for Logan Thomas. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread