What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 13: Waiver Wire Defense (1 Viewer)

Sarnoff said:
Patriots had been dropped due to the Bye/Denver combo. Got them, looking like possibly a better play than the Bills.
In comparing Patriots and Bills for ROS:

Patriots - @Hou, Cle, @Mia, @Bal

Bills - Atl, @TB, @Jax, Mia

Part of my thought process for choosing a good D/ST matchup, I generally like to stick with home games. I like the Patriots remaining 4 games/matchups but I am not particularly fond of them being on the road 3 of 4 games. At this point, I am targeting weeks 15 & 16 the most. I have to think the Bills have a better matchup going to Jacksonville and having Miami come up north for week 16. But for weeks 13 & 14, I probably favor Patriots.

(and I am currently a Chiefs D/ST owner feeling the pain of needing to make a playoff move)

Should I drop any of these d/st for Buffalo for the playoffs? We can only roster 3 D/ST and Bills are still on the WW

Chiefs- - @WAS, @OAK, IND, @SD

Patriots - Cle, @Mia, @Bal, BUF

Titans - @DEN, ARZ, @JAC, HOU

Bills - @TB, @Jax, Mia, @NE

Should I drop any of these d/st for Buffalo for the playoffs? We can only roster 3 D/ST and Bills are still on the WW

Chiefs- - @WAS, @OAK, IND, @SD

Patriots - Cle, @Mia, @Bal, BUF

Titans - @DEN, ARZ, @JAC, HOU

Bills - @TB, @Jax, Mia, @NE
I would drop the Titans for them

I have the Giants D/ST and am sticking with them.

Also tempted to use Miami @ NYJ. Gino has been a turnover machine lately.

Other choices: Bucs, Bills, Bears, Dolphins, Jets ??? I'm not feeling to confident in regards to D/ST lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rams D is on my waiver wire, as our the Cowboys, Giants, Bills and Bucs.

Looking at matchups, I am torn between Bills or Cowboys for this week. Should I be thinking about grabbing the Rams and leaving them in for the rest of the run? The week 15 matchup against the Saints is what is scaring me.

Co

The Rams D is on my waiver wire, as our the Cowboys, Giants, Bills and Bucs.

Looking at matchups, I am torn between Bills or Cowboys for this week. Should I be thinking about grabbing the Rams and leaving them in for the rest of the run? The week 15 matchup against the Saints is what is scaring me.
Cowboys D are in the top 3 D's in our league. I'd take a closer look at them.

I currently have Cleveland, but someone just dropped Arizona. I like Cleveland's matchup better this week, but like Arizona more the rest of the way. Should I drop Cleveland or drop someone else and pick up Arizona to stash and use in Week 14 and beyond
Two good rules of thumb:

1. When in doubt, go with the better defense.

2. Never rest your hopes on anything involving Cleveland.

In all seriousness, the days of the Jags offering opposing Ds guaranteed double-digits are over. And Cleveland is a so-so D with a horrible offense. I wouldn't recommend them at all this week.

Arizona doesn't have a great matchup, but they're moving into elite D status. I'm strongly considering rolling them out this week. Either way, you should definitely grab them for ROS.
Sound advice. I'm going to try and pick up Arizona, FAAB system. Like an idiot, I dropped them last week for Cleveland and it cost me the win.
I did the same thing, but fortunately I realized the error of my ways and picked them back up before Sunday.

A lot of people bailed on the Cowboys D after their ####-kicking in New Orleans, but they rebounded with another strong effort and Defensive TD @ the Giants on Sunday.

I like my streaming Ds at home, and Dallas hosting the Raiders on Thanksgiving seems like as good a start to me as any. I'm plugging them in this week over Cincinnati & Arizona.

I decided to part ways with The Rams after this week. Debating Patriots, Giants or maybe Miami. I think the rest of the rams shedule is not too good looking.

shadyridr said:
I just assumed miami was gone in most leagues but if available then id say they are a strong play.

What about baltimore vs pit? Thoughts?
Pretty good option, IMO. I don't understand why they have such a large home/road split, but the pattern's there and they are home. I'm actually thinking of sticking with them over trying to grab Buffalo off waivers.

I'm surprised that not many posters are touting the Steelers. They've been solid the past month. I've been going with them and the Bucs the past month and it's been working. I'd recommend that strategy the rest of the way and maybe if you have room rostering the Rams.

A rested Browns team vs Jax
Rested? You mean because they lay down against Pitt last week?

Folks, the Browns just aren't that good, and the Weeden-led offense sure doesn't help. Nor is Jax as bad as they were earlier in the season. This matchup screams "Stay away."

kingmalaki said:
Bills have a nice matchup and remaining schedule. Kinda scary to trust them but they do have the right matchups.
My thoughts as well but dropped the Titans for them.

mrfrood said:
I'm surprised that not many posters are touting the Steelers. They've been solid the past month. I've been going with them and the Bucs the past month and it's been working. I'd recommend that strategy the rest of the way and maybe if you have room rostering the Rams.
Three teams besides the Rams (@SF) who have been doing well of late:

Steelers - @ Bal

Bucs - vs Car

Phi - vs AZ

I currently have Cleveland, but someone just dropped Arizona. I like Cleveland's matchup better this week, but like Arizona more the rest of the way. Should I drop Cleveland or drop someone else and pick up Arizona to stash and use in Week 14 and beyond
Two good rules of thumb:

1. When in doubt, go with the better defense.

2. Never rest your hopes on anything involving Cleveland.

In all seriousness, the days of the Jags offering opposing Ds guaranteed double-digits are over. And Cleveland is a so-so D with a horrible offense. I wouldn't recommend them at all this week.

Arizona doesn't have a great matchup, but they're moving into elite D status. I'm strongly considering rolling them out this week. Either way, you should definitely grab them for ROS.
Sound advice. I'm going to try and pick up Arizona, FAAB system. Like an idiot, I dropped them last week for Cleveland and it cost me the win.
Arizona may not have a great matchup this week, but next week against STL at home is as juicy as it gets. STL is decent at home but on the road their defense has won the two games against Houston and Indy not their offense. The offense without Bradford is nothing special so I believe Arizona with a Wild Card up for grabs that they have the potential to be tough in week 14 at home. Kansas City has Washington on the road but without Hali and Houston we seen how much that D can do so I side with Arizona this week and next.

For those of you banking on the Cowboys defense, I need to caution you guys that the Raiders are getting back perhaps their best player in LT Jared Veldheer. He's got a tough assignment facing Demarcus Ware, but he's got fresh legs and is a huge upgrade for the Oakland O-line. Can't understate that. Also, and this may be minor. McFadden may return as a COP back with Jennings. I still think the Cowboys will win, but I would not count on some sort of beatdown. The Raiders will get theirs.

For those of you banking on the Cowboys defense, I need to caution you guys that the Raiders are getting back perhaps their best player in LT Jared Veldheer. He's got a tough assignment facing Demarcus Ware, but he's got fresh legs and is a huge upgrade for the Oakland O-line. Can't understate that. Also, and this may be minor. McFadden may return as a COP back with Jennings. I still think the Cowboys will win, but I would not count on some sort of beatdown. The Raiders will get theirs.
Great info RF, is OAK actually thinking on activating Run DMC for this game?

Great info RF, is OAK actually thinking on activating Run DMC for this game?
Yeah, I think he'll be active. Not sure what role he'll get. Right now, they are playing the hot hand. And Jennings is it. DMC said he could have played last week. So that tells me he's ready or pretty close.

For those BIlls owners, I noticed they have a great matchups for the playoffs, but most of them are on the road. How have they been this season on the road?

@TB

@MIA

vsJAX

For those BIlls owners, I noticed they have a great matchups for the playoffs, but most of them are on the road. How have they been this season on the road?

@TB

@MIA

vsJAX
I'm grabbing the Bills as well as holding onto Arizona, the Bills are @TB, @JAX, then host Miami week 16...

I'm not lucky enough to have snagged the Bills like the rest of you, so I'm torn between the Jets and the Fins for week 13. Leaning Jets right now, even though they burned me against he Bills the last time I started them (wow, what a meltdown that was!).

Jets:

Positives: Studly D-Line going against decimated O-Line. Game is at home.

Negatives: Team is completely inconsistent. Defense might be on the field often because of three and outs since Geno has regressed and Ivory will probably be out. For all of the hype they receive about having a solid defense, it doesn't tend to result in big plays; Jets have yet to put up a big fantasy stat line all year.

Miami:

Positives: Better overall defense going up against pick machine Geno. Miami is capable of big plays, and have a few big fantasy scoring games under their belt this season.

Negatives: Game is on the road. Team is in total disarray.

Advantage: Jets? Does anyone have a strong take on either defense in this game?

EDIT: Made the post more readable and coherent.

2nd EDIT: The Jets have been a complete mess the past couple of weeks and Miami has been showing signs of life. I could envision a scenario where the Jets fall behind again and lay an egg on defense because Miami is marching down the field for long drives and playing conservatively because they're nursing a lead. For that reason, I'm going with the Fins this Sunday. The Miami defense has been playing really solidly lately, and I could see this game getting out of hand, even if it is a home game for the Jets.

I came here to decide between jets and Miami. Your post is much better than mine was going to be. I'll just wait for answers to yours pietaster

After a lot of research, Im going to rid myself of the Giants D/ST.

Im putting in a claim for either Miami D/ST or Bills D/ST ??

Guys got any advice, or prefer one over the other?

Miami weeks 13-17

@NYJ
@Pit
vs NE
@BUF
vsNYJ

Buffalo weeks 13-17
vsATL (in Toronto)
@TB
@JAC
vsMiami
@NE

I came here to decide between jets and Miami. Your post is much better than mine was going to be. I'll just wait for answers to yours pietaster
I picked up buffalo and passed on clev, miami and jets. This was also my order of preference. Miami over jets because of the shakier nyj qb play.

Miami weeks 13-17

@NYJ

@Pit

vs NE

@BUF

vsNYJ

Buffalo weeks 13-17

vsATL (in Toronto)

@TB

@JAC

vsMiami

@NE
The Bills are the clear choice here, you lucky duck. I wish they were on my WW. Better matchups and better defense = no brainer.

Miami weeks 13-17

@NYJ

@Pit

vs NE

@BUF

vsNYJ

Buffalo weeks 13-17

vsATL (in Toronto)

@TB

@JAC

vsMiami

@NE
Why not NYG for one week at least against the Skins? I have byes in week 14 in most leagues so I'd prefer Buffalo for weeks 14 & 15.

Miami weeks 13-17

@NYJ

@Pit

vs NE

@BUF

vsNYJBuffalo weeks 13-17

vsATL (in Toronto)

@TB

@JAC

vsMiami

@NE
Why not NYG for one week at least against the Skins? I have byes in week 14 in most leagues so I'd prefer Buffalo for weeks 14 & 15.
Buff is better than nyg moving forward but not by much for this week

Pure thoughts and theories here.

The Jets are better at home, where they are 4-1. You've got people here saying maybe the Jets DST is a good matchup. Smith has been not good all year (he might be around 39th in FFPPG), but he's actually had a couple decent games at home (NE & BUF). He also might get benched and they could bring in Simms, maybe that's good for MIA too, I don't know. Still if you're skeered of other options, the Phins seems like the best fallback.

The Bills in TO vs a dome/carpet team in ATL? Tepid crowd, aggravated Bills team, meh. Maybe they do great and put up 20, maybe they don't show up for this exhibition game, good luck.

Pats @ Hou, love that.

CLE vs Jax - stay away.

PHI vs AZ - this could be a statement game for Philly. The DST is better than they were early on. This is maybe one of those situations where a scoring offense puts pressure on the opposing offense. AZ is not going to like being up there. Philly for whatever reason does not do well at home though.

Giants @Was - like this, especially if Reed is out again, but even if he plays it seems good considering what the Skins are going through, the Giants are going to smell blood here and they think they can still catch up in the NFCE.

Dallas vs Oak - no, McGloin, Streater & Jennings will get some TDs, they're young and hungry and for once the Raiders have a spotlight game, I think they jump at the chance.

Flyers:

Bucs - coming on, I think they might actually do something vs Car.

Steelers - also accelerating, but at Baltimore where the Ravens have been great. Not a great matchup. If anything the Ravens DST has a good day.

Have Bill and Browns now. Not sure which to choose.

Last4 weeks chose wrong streaming defenses and am a combined -6 points during those games....

Have Bill and Browns now. Not sure which to choose.

Last4 weeks chose wrong streaming defenses and am a combined -6 points during those games....
I like the browns at home ,haden shuts down shorts what else do the jags have?
Go with the Bills. For the past several weeks, Defenses going up against the Jags hasn't been such a cake walk.

So no one likes my phili vs arz idea? Not much on my ww at all...
I was

Thinking Philly all week but I'm going against my gut here and going to drop them for Miami . I'm in a must win and need as many points as my defense can give me I'm hoping for a low scoring game and both Arizona and Philly are playing well on the offense side of the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread