What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weekend Bourbon Trail / Louisville trip (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I'd post this in the bourbon thread, but I thought it may be easier to set up a separate thread.  Talking with some friends about a long weekend trip to Louisville in July (have friends in Cincy and Memphis driving to meet in the middle, and I'm flying into Louisville).  I thought I'd ask for some tips, as talking about making reservations for tours.

I'm probably flying into Louisville on Thursday and back on Sunday (my friends coming in late Friday). Principally staying in Louisville due to it just as a weekend trip (and easier to get a direct flight to Louisville than Lex).

Since I'll be solo most of Friday, and I'm first and foremost a Presidential history nerd, I was planning to rent a car and drive down to the Lincoln birthplace, and then his boyhood home at Knob Creek (as they have always been on my list to go to) for morning and early afternoon.  It looks like Maker's Mark is not far from the boyhood home, and was thinking of a mid-afternoon tour there.  Is that the one to do in that area, or are there better distillery tours that I should do that afternoon before heading back up to Louisville instead (such as Jim Beam)?

Planning to spend all day Saturday and then some time Sunday before plane flight back late afternoon in Louisville. What are the recommended ones?  My friend recommended Michter’s, Angel’s Envy, Peerless, and Rabbit Hole -- he steering me right there?  Should I try to get Old Forester in there?

I would make your reservations soon. I booked in early April for a late May trip and was surprised at the lack of availability of some tours.  I’m happy to be visiting Makers and 4 Roses on my way to Louisville. 

Maker's is definitely one of the better tours in that area.  Book it.  I can't say much about the Louisville area options has I haven't been that way.  I am hoping to hit  that area on the next trip to the region.

Thanks -- I'll book Maker's, as that seems consensus. Will just need to figure out Louisville stuff next. 

Muhammad Ali museum was very cool, i thought.

my kids loved the zoo (if you're hauling kids).

downtown Louisville is a ghost town. covid killed it, apparently. they have a sort of entertainment venue with sound stage, bars and restaurants all around.  when we visited last summer all of that was completely empty on a Saturday afternoon. just a couple homeless people kicking around and a few people like us passing through.

Louisville Slugger museum is cool if you like baseball. and if you go there, you're close to a few bourbon places (walking distance - Evan Williams, Michter's, a couple others right on Main Street).

Here now for Derby week. Just went to Lexington for a fantastic horse farm tour and the second half of the day is bourbon tour. Learning a ton about bourbon which is cool. Going to Ali museum and Louisville Slugger tomorrow. Booked a bunch of the best restaurants. I agree with earlier poster - shocked at how quiet 4th street is. Supposed to pick up during the week - we’ll see

Here now for Derby week. Just went to Lexington for a fantastic horse farm tour and the second half of the day is bourbon tour. Learning a ton about bourbon which is cool. Going to Ali museum and Louisville Slugger tomorrow. Booked a bunch of the best restaurants. I agree with earlier poster - shocked at how quiet 4th street is. Supposed to pick up during the week - we’ll see
my BIL lives just outside of town and works near downtown

he warned us that the downtown was totally dead and we shouldn't waste our time.  we went anyways and it was just..... depressing as hell. maybe during the week with office workers milling about it will be a bit better, not sure.  

we found a decent ice cream place just off Main. that was the highlight not named Ali or Slugger museum.

Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve are both around Frankfort (within 20-30 min of each other).  I've been to both and they were very enjoyable.  About an hour away from Louisville iirc. 

I'd post this in the bourbon thread, but I thought it may be easier to set up a separate thread. Talking with some friends about a long weekend trip to Louisville in July (have friends in Cincy and Memphis driving to meet in the middle, and I'm flying into Louisville). I thought I'd ask for some tips, as talking about making reservations for tours.

I'm probably flying into Louisville on Thursday and back on Sunday (my friends coming in late Friday). Principally staying in Louisville due to it just as a weekend trip (and easier to get a direct flight to Louisville than Lex).

Since I'll be solo most of Friday, and I'm first and foremost a Presidential history nerd, I was planning to rent a car and drive down to the Lincoln birthplace, and then his boyhood home at Knob Creek (as they have always been on my list to go to) for morning and early afternoon. It looks like Maker's Mark is not far from the boyhood home, and was thinking of a mid-afternoon tour there. Is that the one to do in that area, or are there better distillery tours that I should do that afternoon before heading back up to Louisville instead (such as Jim Beam)?

Planning to spend all day Saturday and then some time Sunday before plane flight back late afternoon in Louisville. What are the recommended ones? My friend recommended Michter’s, Angel’s Envy, Peerless, and Rabbit Hole -- he steering me right there? Should I try to get Old Forester in there?
How did you make out? Heading to Louisville this spring and curious what tours you did/recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread