What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weird Car Accident - What Should Happen Moving Forward? (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
We had a vehicle (a minivan) that needed a few repairs. We took the van to the shop, and the repairs were completed. Before we picked it up, the garage had one of their mechanics test drive the vehicle. While he was out, he was involved in an accident. The mechanic said the other driver pulled out from a gas station on the other side of the road and sideswiped our vehicle. The side of the van is scraped up and there are small dents in our sliding door and our back side panel. The police were contacted, and they filled out an exchange of driver information form. I am not sure if a police report was filed.

The garage said the other driver was clearly at fault, and his insurance will have to cover the repair costs. They also said if that doesn't happen, the garage's insurance would cover it. Worst case, they said the garage would pay for it out of pocket. They said the first step was to notify our insurance of the incident. I did that, and our insurance said since someone was driving that wasn't on our policy, they might not cover it. They said best case, they would have to complete a full investigation and maybe they would cover it, but no matter what we would have to pay our deductible. I said no way should we have to pay a dime, as we weren't involved at all.
At this point, what should be happening? It didn't sound like the other driver reported the incident to his insurance yet. The garage said they have not reported it to their insurance (it also sounds like they don't want to report it to their insurance). Hard to tell how much damage there is and how easy / hard it would be to repair, but the shop's best guess was $2,000-$2,500.

I thought our insurance would be the one that would coordinate things, get the other insurance companies involved, and compel them to pony up the money. Am I misinformed? Our insurance adjuster said he will try to get back to us by the end of the week, but he had multiple people and places he had to interview first. He said given that there are multiple parties and multiple insurance companies involved, it could take awhile. He also said he never was a part of a case like this before (and thus wasn't sure how the process should go).

Anyone else been involved in something like this (or know how this should play out and how long)?

I will never understand why people contact their own insurance when they weren’t at fault.

I know the pushback is going to be that you pay for your insurance company to fight your battles but they don’t. All they do is add another incident to YOUR history even if it isn’t your fault.

It’s the shops responsibility- they should be handling everything from here.

The only thing you should be asking is “when will my vehicle will be ready?”

Assuming the issue is just physical damage to your car, their garage keepers policy should cover this
I spoke with the garage owner several times, and he indicated he has no interest in getting his insurance involved. The garage has said it will get straightened out eventually and not to worry about it, but I am trying to figure out how and who is actively trying to coordinate this. The garage has taken a very laissez-faire approach and has done nothing . . . no phone calls, no follow-up, no anything.

The owner of the garage basically said it's the other driver's insurance that is responsible and essentially take it up with him. I don't even have all the information to do much on my end, which is why I am trying to figure out what I should be doing.

I will never understand why people contact their own insurance when they weren’t at fault.

I know the pushback is going to be that you pay for your insurance company to fight your battles but they don’t. All they do is add another incident to YOUR history even if it isn’t your fault.

It’s the shops responsibility- they should be handling everything from here.

The only thing you should be asking is “when will my vehicle will be ready?”
Right. I could be way off base but I trust this industry less than pretty much any other.

Assuming the issue is just physical damage to your car, their garage keepers policy should cover this
I spoke with the garage owner several times, and he indicated he has no interest in getting his insurance involved. The garage has said it will get straightened out eventually and not to worry about it, but I am trying to figure out how and who is actively trying to coordinate this. The garage has taken a very laissez-faire approach and has done nothing . . . no phone calls, no follow-up, no anything.

The owner of the garage basically said it's the other driver's insurance that is responsible and essentially take it up with him. I don't even have all the information to do much on my end, which is why I am trying to figure out what I should be doing.
Ooof. What a nightmare. I would have another conversation with the garage owner.

BTW, I am already getting excuses from my insurance company, the garage owner, and potential places to get the repairs done about how they all are way understaffed. They are down insurance adjusters, so my guy apparently is covering all of North and South America himself. The garage lost all their office people, so they don't even have anyone to try to figure out what to do. And local auto body places already have a huge backlog because they have no help. I have no love for the automotive and insurance industries. It's only been a day, but I see very little movement or progress happening.

These are some of the worst experiences. It’s such a scam. Insurance only pays to get your car “mostly” back to the way it used to be. There’s no compensation for all your time, aggravation and they have the nerve to count it against you even when it isn’t your fault.

If you didn't authorize the garage to test drive your vehicle then have them arrested for auto theft. If you did authorize it, then I would get a lawyer to get their insurance company involved.

Seems like it HAS to go through the garage. There was no damage when you left the car in their care. There is damage now. It should be THEIR responsibility to rectify the situation.

BTW, I am already getting excuses from my insurance company, the garage owner, and potential places to get the repairs done about how they all are way understaffed. They are down insurance adjusters, so my guy apparently is covering all of North and South America himself. The garage lost all their office people, so they don't even have anyone to try to figure out what to do. And local auto body places already have a huge backlog because they have no help. I have no love for the automotive and insurance industries. It's only been a day, but I see very little movement or progress happening.

Yesterday I asked GEICO and Safelite’s Custer service reps to speak to a supervisor. The GEICO girl said there are none available because they’re so busy. The Safelite dude who answered the phone as he was getting into and starting his car just sheepishly admitted “We all work from home”.

I would put in a claim to the at fault driver’s insurance. I know this stuff can vary by state.
I don’t think that’s possible or would just waste time. Dude got into an accident while actively working. You’re not responsible for damage to essentially what’s amounts to a work vehicle.

Seems like it HAS to go through the garage. There was no damage when you left the car in their care. There is damage now. It should be THEIR responsibility to rectify the situation.
Agree 100%. You need to lean on the garage more, and they need to be the taking charge. For all you know, it was the garage's fault, and I would treat them as if they were.

I would put in a claim to the at fault driver’s insurance. I know this stuff can vary by state.
I don’t think that’s possible or would just waste time. Dude got into an accident while actively working. You’re not responsible for damage to essentially what’s amounts to a work vehicle.

It’s certainly possible. Last two times my car has been hit, I’ve done this successfully.

It’s certainly possible. Last two times my car has been hit, I’ve done this successfully.
The at fault driver is the garage employee. Not the citizen. How does one even do what you’re saying? Did you just call your insurance and tell them the name of the person and their number?

ETA - Wait…. Are you talking about accidents involving you and another driver both driving personal vehicles?

Yes them claiming it was some one else’s fault and deal with them is weak. It happened under their care, period. They need to make you whole one way or the other.

The at fault driver is the garage employee. Not the citizen. How does one even do what you’re saying? Did you just call your insurance and tell them the name of the person and their number?

ETA - Wait…. Are you talking about accidents involving you and another driver both driving personal vehicles?
In my case, the garage employee's story is the other driver was at fault. That is what is fueling the garage owner telling me to go after the insurance carrier for the at fault driver. The story I was told by the mechanic from the garage (who was driving my vehicle) is the at fault driver said he would call in the incident to his insurance and they would contact me. No one has contacted me, so it stands to reason the at fault driver did not report the accident to his insurance.

I spoke with someone I know at an insurance agency (not involved in this situation at all), who said definitely call the garage's insurance provider and file a claim. She said they were the responsible party driving my vehicle when it suffered a loss, and they have to cover the cost to get my vehicle repaired. From there, they can deal with getting the at fault driver's insurance to reimburse them. She also said tough noogies on the repair shop owner not wanting a claim on his insurance. Not my problem . . . and with nothing documented, I would have no recourse if there was additional damage or if the repairs weren't completed properly. She also said that should have been the first thing the garage should have done, and I should not have to do anything other than answer the phone when their adjuster calls.

In my case, the garage employee's story is the other driver was at fault. That is what is fueling the garage owner telling me to go after the insurance carrier for the at fault driver. The story I was told by the mechanic from the garage (who was driving my vehicle) is the at fault driver said he would call in the incident to his insurance and they would contact me. No one has contacted me, so it stands to reason the at fault driver did not report the accident to his insurance.

I spoke with someone I know at an insurance agency (not involved in this situation at all), who said definitely call the garage's insurance provider and file a claim. She said they were the responsible party driving my vehicle when it suffered a loss, and they have to cover the cost to get my vehicle repaired. From there, they can deal with getting the at fault driver's insurance to reimburse them. She also said tough noogies on the repair shop owner not wanting a claim on his insurance. Not my problem . . . and with nothing documented, I would have no recourse if there was additional damage or if the repairs weren't completed properly. She also said that should have been the first thing the garage should have done, and I should not have to do anything other than answer the phone when their adjuster calls.
Is there a police report? If so you can get a copy.

Not sure. After the incident, the at fault driver didn't stop or pull over. The mechanic driving my vehicle chased him down almost a mile away and honked and honked and forced him to pull over. The mechanic then called the police, who came and filled out an exchange of driver information sheet. I don't know if there was a police report filed or not. At that point, they were no longer at the scene of the accident and there were no witnesses. According to the mechanic, the at fault driver admitted to him (not the police) that he was at fault and would be contacting his insurance. I don't know what the police did beyond that as they were not at the scene of the incident. I suppose I can try seeing if a police report was filed. It sounds like the at fault driver left the scene of an accident, but who knows how it got written up (if it got written up at all). IMO I should not have to be playing point person on any of this.

Not sure. After the incident, the at fault driver didn't stop or pull over. The mechanic driving my vehicle chased him down almost a mile away and honked and honked and forced him to pull over. The mechanic then called the police, who came and filled out an exchange of driver information sheet. I don't know if there was a police report filed or not. At that point, they were no longer at the scene of the accident and there were no witnesses. According to the mechanic, the at fault driver admitted to him (not the police) that he was at fault and would be contacting his insurance. I don't know what the police did beyond that as they were not at the scene of the incident. I suppose I can try seeing if a police report was filed. It sounds like the at fault driver left the scene of an accident, but who knows how it got written up (if it got written up at all). IMO I should not have to be playing point person on any of this.
The insurance info will be on the police report. Most don’t have eyewitness accounts outside of the involved parties any way.

It doesn’t matter to you who was at fault - let them sort that out.

Once you get the insurance info call the garages insurance holder and tell them what happened. They’ll either take over - you could always say you’ll get an attorney involved if you don’t hear anything back in a few days.

The insurance info will be on the police report. Most don’t have eyewitness accounts outside of the involved parties any way.

Once you get the insurance info call the garages insurance holder and tell them what happened. They’ll either take over - you could always say you’ll get an attorney involved if you don’t hear anything back in a few days.
Unfortunately, on the sheet I was provided, the police officer only listed the name of the company the at fault driver says he has insurance with. No policy number, no phone number, no insurance card, no other contact info, etc. There is a name and license info on the at fault driver, but no way to contact him.

Unfortunately, on the sheet I was provided, the police officer only listed the name of the company the at fault driver says he has insurance with. No policy number, no phone number, no insurance card, no other contact info, etc. There is a name and license info on the at fault driver, but no way to contact him.
I’m saying call the garage’s insurance company and let them deal with it. It doesn’t matter to you who is at fault. They can fight that out.

Neat. Everyone is responsible.

Since you already have your insurance company involved, you could just let them fix it and sort it out. Depends on the specific language of your policy, but standard ISO policy language covers the car as long as it is in your custody and control, which covers someone else driving it with your authorization. Their claim that they might not cover it is bull.

The garage was responsible to give you back an undamaged car, so they are responsible to you whether they were at fault in the accident or not. They need to either step up and give you the money to fix it or go through their insurance, who would then subrogate against the at-fault driver.

At fault driver's insurance is primarily responsible, but it will probably take either your insurance or the garage's insurance subrogating to get them to pay. Then again, he may not have any insurance at all.

I’m saying call the garage’s insurance company and let them deal with it. It doesn’t matter to you who is at fault. They can fight that out.

This. Garage repairs the car under their insurance (garage keepers liability coverage. This exact scenario is what that coverage is for) and they can go for subrogation against the other driver. (Shouldn't be your problem)

The bolded is absolutly NOT what you should do. The garage is responsible because it was under their care. I would be insulted if he told me that.

Ive been yelling at people for 2 days now, want me to set them straight? :lmao:

Agree with everyone else. The garage had your car at the time, it’s their responsibility to either pay to fix it themselves or go through their insurance or the other party’s insurance. Shouldn’t be your issue and I would think they‘d feel bad enough that they wouldn’t make this the customers issue.

Agree 100%. You need to lean on the garage more, and they need to be the taking charge. For all you know, it was the garage's fault, and I would treat them as if they were.
In the perspective of the OP it is all the garage's fault. How it happened & whose actual fault it was is all on the garage and from the perspective of Anarchy99 that is who is responsible to get this fixed. The garage needs to be held responsible 100%. Then it is up to the garage to fight the battle with the other guy if that is what happened.

Yes them claiming it was some one else’s fault and deal with them is weak. It happened under their care, period. They need to make you whole one way or the other.
We would contact our insurer, and they would handle it. We've never had a problem with this.

We would contact our insurer, and they would handle it. We've never had a problem with this.

Why would you use your insurance to cover something that you’re not liable for?

Here's the latest update, should anyone be interested.

- I checked with the police department. There is definitely a police report on the incident, which I requested a copy of. But it will take them a week to process the request.
- I finally got a call back from the insurance agent for the repair shop. He said a claim has been filed on the shop's insurance. He indicated the shop is responsible to return the vehicle in the condition it was in when I dropped it off, so the shop's insurance is first in line to have to cover getting my vehicle fixed. Ultimately, he feels the other driver was at fault, and that driver's insurance will have to reimburse them for the damages (through a subrogation process). And my insurance will get on board to coordinate the process and exchange of information and documents.
- The agent said all three insurance companies will likely send an adjuster to assess the damage to the vehicle. Since there are three companies involved and all three will likely want to get their ducks in a row and obtain all the information they can and then bicker amongst themselves, this could take months to work through (especially at holiday season).

Based on that, is there anyone I should be yelling at and lighting a fire under?

- I checked with the police department. There is definitely a police report on the incident, which I requested a copy of. But it will take them a week to process the request.
- I finally got a call back from the insurance agent for the repair shop. He said a claim has been filed on the shop's insurance. He indicated the shop is responsible to return the vehicle in the condition it was in when I dropped it off, so the shop's insurance is first in line to have to cover getting my vehicle fixed. Ultimately, he feels the other driver was at fault, and that driver's insurance will have to reimburse them for the damages (through a subrogation process). And my insurance will get on board to coordinate the process and exchange of information and documents.
- The agent said all three insurance companies will likely send an adjuster to assess the damage to the vehicle. Since there are three companies involved and all three will likely want to get their ducks in a row and obtain all the information they can and then bicker amongst themselves, this could take months to work through (especially at holiday season).

Based on that, is there anyone I should be yelling at and lighting a fire under?
Yeah, the shop owner. This is for HIM to sort out. Not you. You just need your damn vehicle that you entrusted to his care.

Gimme the address - this is starting to piss me off now.

Yeah, the shop owner. This is for HIM to sort out. Not you. You just need your damn vehicle that you entrusted to his care.

The shop filed a claim with their insurance company. Is the expectation that they should be doing more than that?

The shop filed a claim with their insurance company. Is the expectation that they should be doing more than that?
I would expect them to fix the car right away and then figure out the insurance stuff later. You are the one out of a car. Not them.

I would expect them to fix the car right away and then figure out the insurance stuff later. You are the one out of a car. Not them.
A garage doesn’t necessarily do body work.

Is the car drivable? If so I don’t think waiting for an assessment is that big a deal. I mean I’d follow up to make sure they schedule one.

Maybe take it to a few body shops and get quotes to share with the insurance company if you’re antsy about getting things done.

The shop owner sort of offered to fix it right away, but the way he presented it didn't sit well with me. He offered to fix the vehicle at his friend's body shop in lieu of going through his insurance. And his version of "fixing the car" was likely a quick fix and not a full restoration to the condition it was in. Basically, he said his friend could buff it out, maybe work on the dents a little, and get a lot of the scratches out. He mentioned maybe they could touch up the paint a little to cover any remaining scratches. His solution seemed like a no frills, quick fix, and it sounded like his buddy would get it "mostly fixed" without any money changing hands. He also said this approach would take months off the insurance cycle, as he could make one call and have the car in the auto body place and skip the long wait.

I countered with I wanted the vehicle in the same condition it was in when I dropped it off . . . no dents, no scratches, no blemishes, no paint issues, etc. The shop owner said sure, an insurance estimate would cover replacing the damaged door and panels and repainting the whole side of the car, but that approach would cost thousands of dollars. His solution was a "let's get it back close to normal and hopefully it won't really be all that noticeable."

Last edited:

And provide a comparable replacement vehicle in the interim. Regardless, it shouldn’t take “months” to resolve the problem from @Anarchy99 ’s perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread