What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wes Welker not a HoFer (1 Viewer)

Joe T

Footballguy
Last nights little opening game had me thinking about the career of one Wes Welker. After much thought, we've determined that he is not (yet) a HoF wide receiver. There are two primary reasons for this:

1. He is an accumulator. He really has the had the benefit of playing in one of the best offenses of all-time for a top 5 QB of all-time. Prior to joining the Patriots he did not put up nearly the numbers. Now he has the benefit of playing for another top 5 QB of all time in Denver. If you look at Welker's numbers compared to a similar HoF WR, Michael Irvin, you see that Irvin had just as many catches, but had a much higher YPC average and a much higher TD total in about the same time frame. And Irvin did that in a primarily running offense.

2. No Super Bowl wins - Welker has not been on a Super Bowl winner (yet). Obviously, a Super Bowl win would help his odds of getting into the HoF. If you again compare him with Irvin who has similar numbers, Irvin was a part of 3 winning Super Bowls.

So while Welker is a very good wide receiver, he is not quite the caliber of a HoF receiver.

Last nights little opening game had me thinking about the career of one Wes Welker. After much thought, we've determined that he is not (yet) a HoF wide receiver. There are two primary reasons for this:

1. He is an accumulator. He really has the had the benefit of playing in one of the best offenses of all-time for a top 5 QB of all-time. Prior to joining the Patriots he did not put up nearly the numbers. Now he has the benefit of playing for another top 5 QB of all time in Denver. If you look at Welker's numbers compared to a similar HoF WR, Michael Irvin, you see that Irvin had just as many catches, but had a much higher YPC average and a much higher TD total in about the same time frame. And Irvin did that in a primarily running offense.

2. No Super Bowl wins - Welker has not been on a Super Bowl winner (yet). Obviously, a Super Bowl win would help his odds of getting into the HoF. If you again compare him with Irvin who has similar numbers, Irvin was a part of 3 winning Super Bowls.

So while Welker is a very good wide receiver, he is not quite the caliber of a HoF receiver.
I appreciate your opinion and I don't know if I agree or disagree with Welker or not but I do diagree with some of your logic.

1) Sports is all about numbers, especially the HOF. That's the only way that we can compare and assess performance formally. It's because of that the numbers along will (90%) tell who goes in the HOF.

2) Superbowls shouldn't/don't matter for positions other than QB in my opinion.

Again, regarding Welker, as of now he belongs in the conversation but maybe not in the Hall.

Not even close to HOF IMO. Good WR who was lucky to play on great teams with other WRs or targets who were better than him thus allowing him to beat up on nickel backs like he did last night.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've heard that big a clamor to get Welker into the HOF. His only claim to fame, really, is that he's a reception hog, but he's not really all that high up the list. Hell, Witten is ahead of him, and is younger.

I am not sure if he is a HoF'er or not but I disagree with your arguments.

First - Super Bowls wins matter very little unless you are a quarterback

Second - He changed the position of the slot receiver.

Third - There are a lot of good HoF caliber receivers that didn't do anything their first 2 years in the league, there is a reason why us fantasy footballers have a thread every year about which receiver will break out in his 3rd year. It took Cris Carter 7 years before he has his first 1k season, it took Micheal Irvin 4 years, it took Hines Ward 4 years.

A couple more years of 85+ catches and 1k yards and there will be no keeping him out

Yeah, I'm not sure I've heard that big a clamor to get Welker into the HOF. His only claim to fame, really, is that he's a reception hog, but he's not really all that high up the list. Hell, Witten is ahead of him, and is younger.
Witten has been in the league longer.

If Wes has a normal season for him, he will have more catches than all but 3 HOF'ers after this year and would be around #11 in receiving yards. So if you just base it on numbers when he retires, he will probably be #2 in catches and #5ish in yards. I think that will put him in, maybe not first year but not too long after.

I think Super Bowl wins shouldn't matter for anyone, including a QB. It is not what you won, but more about how you played and the numbers you put up. No player can help the position they are put in with a team, they don't get to draft, have say in what FA's to pick up, how the defense is run, who the team keeps, your a player and you have to rely on good ownership to do the rest. I think Marino will always be the ultimate example, he was one of the best ever, I remember some ridiculous games he had and they would still lose. You just can't hang loses on a single player when so many things make up winning and losing. I think we as fans do it much more than HOF voters, or at least I hope so. There have been many great players that never won the Superbowl and most of the time we can easily look at the team and how it is run and find the real reason why, most of the time it is not a players fault.

He's being very underrated if people are thinking of him as just a guy who played with Brady and now Peyton.

The guy is uncoverable within 15 yards of the LoS. Sure, downfield he leaves a lot to be desired but for his particular skillset (from the slot moving the chains within 15 yards of the LoS) I don't know that I've ever seen anyone better.

You line a DB up on him in the slot and he can run an in, an out, a slant, or a hitch. There's no way that DB can cover him unless he either has help or just completely guesses and gets it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreeBaGeL said:
He's being very underrated if people are thinking of him as just a guy who played with Brady and now Peyton.
Code:
2004	23	SD/MIA	0	0	02005	24	MIA 	29	434	02006	25	MIA 	67	687	1
96-1121-1 in three years -- before Brady and Peyton.

The Claymaker said:
If Wes has a normal season for him, he will have more catches than all but 3 HOF'ers after this year and would be around #11 in receiving yards.
:confused:

ETA: NM. I See what you're saying, though it's a bit misleading. A normal year for him, and he'll still be keeping company with Keenan McCardell on the all time receptions list.

FreeBaGeL said:
2004 23 SD/MIA 0 0 02005 24 MIA 29 434 02006 25 MIA 67 687 196-1121-1 in three years -- before Brady and Peyton.
29-446-3

30-506-0

Roddy White's statistics before Joey Harrington.

Newsflash, young WRs often put up poor numbers while they learn the game. What's next, are you going to cite Jerry Rice's numbers when he was 37 and say that he's no good when he's not playing with Montana, Young, or Gannon?

FreeBaGeL said:
2004 23 SD/MIA 0 0 02005 24 MIA 29 434 02006 25 MIA 67 687 196-1121-1 in three years -- before Brady and Peyton.
I give more credit to bb fit identifying his skill set and value.

First few years mean little, even Chris Carter was cut.

The Claymaker said:
If Wes has a normal season for him, he will have more catches than all but 3 HOF'ers after this year and would be around #11 in receiving yards.

ETA: NM. I See what you're saying, though it's a bit misleading. A normal year for him, and he'll still be keeping company with Keenan McCardell on the all time receptions list.
Sorry, I meant in comparison to people in the HOF right now, Jerry has 1519, Cris Carter has 1101 and Monk has 940. Wes currently has 777 so if he catches 80 more passes this season, he will be at 857, which would put him 4th vs HOF guys, Largent currently is 4th at 819. So after this year, if he has 3 more 80 -100 catch seasons he will eclipse Carter rather easily.

I think a better question is will Harrison ever get in? He has 1102/14580/128 those are definitely HOF numbers in mho. But looking at the big picture and people will hold what happened after football against him, he may not have a shot (No pun intended).

Edited to add, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm link to all time receptions and clicking on any player you can see all their numbers.

The Claymaker said:

Sorry, I meant in comparison to people in the HOF right now, Jerry has 1519, Cris Carter has 1101 and Monk has 940. Wes currently has 777 so if he catches 80 more passes this season, he will be at 857, which would put him 4th vs HOF guys, Largent currently is 4th at 819. So after this year, if he has 3 more 80 -100 catch seasons he will eclipse Carter rather easily.

I think a better question is will Harrison ever get in? He has 1102/14580/128 those are definitely HOF numbers in mho. But looking at the big picture and people will hold what happened after football against him, he may not have a shot (No pun intended).

Edited to add, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm link to all time receptions and clicking on any player you can see all their numbers.
Are you being serious here? Not like Ive followed that story recently, but nothing happened with it AFAIK and Marvin didnt go to jail or anything. Harrison is a surefire HOFer

The Claymaker said:

Are you being serious here? Not like Ive followed that story recently, but nothing happened with it AFAIK and Marvin didnt go to jail or anything. Harrison is a surefire HOFer
I would think so as well, as I clearly stated. But ya never know what voters are thinking sometimes, look how long it took Monk to get in. Harrison retired in 2008, so there should be talk of him on the next ballot. But I never ever hear anyone talking about Harrison, just find it odd. Maybe cause he has nothing to do with the NFL that I am aware of at least not nationally.

Edited to add this http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/02/pro-football-hall-of-fame-2014-class/ that is a pretty good list. You know there is no way 2 wr'ers are getting in at the same time. Brown and Harrison both are strong contenders, Harrison has the better numbers though.

The Claymaker said:

I would think so as well, as I clearly stated. But ya never know what voters are thinking sometimes, look how long it took Monk to get in. Harrison retired in 2008, so there should be talk of him on the next ballot. But I never ever hear anyone talking about Harrison, just find it odd. Maybe cause he has nothing to do with the NFL that I am aware of at least not nationally.

Edited to add this http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/02/pro-football-hall-of-fame-2014-class/ that is a pretty good list. You know there is no way 2 wr'ers are getting in at the same time. Brown and Harrison both are strong contenders, Harrison has the better numbers though.
Brown or Reed are not finally getting in this year instead of Harrison becoming a 1st ballot HOFer

The Claymaker said:

1) Receptions are the least important receiving stat. Someone who has lots of receptions and not a lot of TDs (#176 on the receiving TDs list) is the definition of a compiler.

2) And, what about the 24 other guys who are still ahead of him in receptions? Even in this unimportant stat he doesn't have great career numbers. Gonzalez will stay ahead, so will Wayne (who has a much better HOF resume than Welker yet still will have difficulty getting in), Andre Johnson is ahead and will stay that way, Jason Witten may stay ahead as well. Larry Fitzgerald may catch up. Plus Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens. Truth be told, Welker will have to get well above 1000 receptions just to get in the top 10, and probably 1200 to get in the top 5.

The Claymaker said:

1) Receptions are the least important receiving stat. Someone who has lots of receptions and not a lot of TDs (#176 on the receiving TDs list) is the definition of a compiler.

2) And, what about the 24 other guys who are still ahead of him in receptions? Even in this unimportant stat he doesn't have great career numbers. Gonzalez will stay ahead, so will Wayne (who has a much better HOF resume than Welker yet still will have difficulty getting in), Andre Johnson is ahead and will stay that way, Jason Witten may stay ahead as well. Larry Fitzgerald may catch up. Plus Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens. Truth be told, Welker will have to get well above 1000 receptions just to get in the top 10, and probably 1200 to get in the top 5.
Was unable to locate the statistics but maybe you will have more luck than myself.

Surely Welker is up there with first downs.

He's a choker. The guy catches 100+ passes during the regular season but drops the most important catch of his career that would ensure a Super Bowl victory. No wonder Hoodie doesn't want to invest in him. I wasn't shocked when he dropped a meaningful punt last night.

FreeBaGeL said:
111-1,165-3 in a season in which he played almost all of it with Matt Cassel throwing him the ball.

Having said that, I agree that Welker is not a HoFer, but the "he doesn't have a Super Bowl" argument is a poor one, too. So wait, if Asante Samuel catches that INT on the play before the Tyree catch in the Super Bowl, the game ends and Welker has a ring, thereby making him more worthy because of a play he had nothing to do with?

He's a choker. The guy catches 100+ passes during the regular season but drops the most important catch of his career that would ensure a Super Bowl victory. No wonder Hoodie doesn't want to invest in him. I wasn't shocked when he dropped a meaningful punt last night.
a. That was more of a bad throw than a drop.

b. That catch would NOT have ensured a Super Bowl victory. I find it humorous that some people try to rewrite history by acting like that catch would have clinched the win.

There's a certain amount of fame that comes with being a SB champ. :shrug:
For quarterbacks, but you rarely see the Super Bowl argument come up in regards to wide receivers. In fact, most of the best WRs of the last 15 years do not have rings, the exceptions being Marvin Harrison, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt (when talking great WRs who are actual legit possible Hall of Famers).

I'm with ya, but the question was would a play by the defense have made him more worthy. My answer is: probably.

Terrell Owens, say, would be "more worthy" too. Just so happens he doesn't need additional worthiness. Welker might.

Okay, so if a ring matters when it comes to the HOF, then would you agree that Holt and Bruce are Hall of Famers? Both have rings, after all.

FreeBaGeL said:
I give more credit to bb fit identifying his skill set and value.

First few years mean little, even Chris Carter was cut.
Those MIA teams were awful, I remember watching a couple of those games and you could tell Welker wasn't being involved enough and he was the best thing they had going on offense. Who ever the coaches were in MIA at the time didn't have a clue.

The guy is ALWAYS open and it doesn't matter who's covering him....if he maintains similar production for a few more years he absolutely belongs in the HOF at some point.

If Super Bowls don't matter, why are Michael Irvin, John Stallworth, and Lynn Swann in the HOF?

IMO Welker is moving toward HOFer status, but isn't now.

It's not his problem he has a good agent or top QBs want him or whatever the case may be that he went from one legend QB to another. It's ridiculous to use his QBs against him. Brady and Manning don't catch the ball but most importantly, if you didn't hold it against the best WR ever you sure can't hold it against Wes.

Another reason is how many DCs have stayed up nights scheming to stop him and how many DBs have sworn they would. How about the way he's seemed to be made of rubber the way he gets up from some hits like nothing happened. How many alligator arm WRs do you have to see to appreciate Welker making the tough catches? DBs absolutely hunted this guy and he did well anyway.

He excelled no matter what NFL DCs threw at him and that has to matter.

When a player is a top WR we start to expect them getting the ball at certain times and in certain spots on the field. If think as such, the defenses surely are. When they do well, despite us about knowing they are going to get it, that's a phenomenal quality in a football player.

I don't hold year one or two against him (maybe against SD or MIA but not him) as WRs often take time to develop.

He has five (or six if you're going to roll with 11 starts and do math toward a full season) season that are in "best of" territory especially the 122 and 123 catch years. That has oh so often not been a long enough period of top play for a RB so it sure can't be for Wes.

One odd but true thing about hall of famers is the fans and press' dopey way of calling rookies the next soandso. Wes has that going for him and ya don't really hear that about players that were average.

If he plays at this level for another four or five years, he's in

I don't like saying if someone's a HOFer or not when their career isn't over yet, doesn't make a ton of sense really.

I do feel that having Brady and Manning would work against him somehow, as people think that having them as QBs, you are going to put up big numbers no matter what. Welker is an underrated WR, even the Patriots treated him so when trying to sign him to a contract similar to Danny A.

Welker has always made what he does look easy when it's not. I'm not going to underestimate him and let him finish his career before I write him off. I'm sure there has been a lot of coaches and scouts along the way that has told him that he couldn't do something and he just went out and proved them wrong.

I don't hold year one or two against him (maybe against SD or MIA but not him) as WRs often take time to develop.
He has five (or six if you're going to roll with 11 starts and do math toward a full season) season that are in "best of" territory especially the 122 and 123 catch years. That has oh so often not been a long enough period of top play for a RB so it sure can't be for Wes.
He has a grand total of two seasons in the top 5 in yardage, and only 4 in the top 10. He's never finished in the top 5 in receiving TDs, and has only finished in the top 10 once (sixth in 2011 with 9).

Really, he's only had one top season, 2011, with 1569 yards and 9 TDs. His second best season, 2009, he averaged just 11.0 yards per reception and had just 4 TDs. There's no receiver in the HOF with less than 12.5 yards per reception (C.Carter's at 12.6); Welker's career average is 11.1.

The gamut of opinions in this thread is narrow and ridiculous. How could anyone believe he wasn't?

Ive argued this before and a lot of people disagree out of principle, but IMO to be a hall of famer you have to be one of the best at what you do. Anyone that says Welker isn't one of if not the best possession receiver to play the game is crazy - and he has done so significantly undersized.

Ive talked at length about this and the most common counter-point is that he plays possession receiver because he can't play other positions at an NFL level, which may be true but to suggest that a superior athlete would be more successful than Welker at his role is complete bull and it doesn't change how successful he has been as just a possession receiver. No one could just do what Welker has done. The hits hes taken, its amazing that he is still playing at the level that he is. The consistency is just unbelievable.

Its not only Welker, but I think hes a great example. I think anyone that is the best or one of the greatest at what they do should have a shot at being in the HoF.

A Hall of Fame WR would have made catches in key spots. Its his own fault he doesn't have a SB ring. Not even in the HofF discussion, IMO.

He has a grand total of two seasons in the top 5 in yardage, and only 4 in the top 10. He's never finished in the top 5 in receiving TDs, and has only finished in the top 10 once (sixth in 2011 with 9).

Really, he's only had one top season, 2011, with 1569 yards and 9 TDs. His second best season, 2009, he averaged just 11.0 yards per reception and had just 4 TDs. There's no receiver in the HOF with less than 12.5 yards per reception (C.Carter's at 12.6); Welker's career average is 11.1.
Remarkably Welker made the All Pro team in 2009. He was outplayed by a WR on his own team that didnt make it, Moss who had 1,264/13 vs his 1,348/4. There were also guys with better seasons on others teams that year; Austin 1,320/11, S. Rice 1,312/8, Wayne 1,264/10.Welker has never, I repeat NEVER, had a double digit TD season. As a matter of fact most seasons have not even been close. He's been a compiler of catches mainly and yds as a result because of friendly situations. IMO he's only been the best WR on his own team once. Even then he wasn't the best receiving option, Gronk was.

Quit frankly I think he's been one of the most overrated WRs of the past 5 years or so, not underrated. Maybe underrated from a fantasy sense, but not at all from a true football sense.

Remarkably Welker made the All Pro team in 2009. He was outplayed by a WR on his own team that didnt make it, Moss who had 1,264/13 vs his 1,348/4. There were also guys with better seasons on others teams that year; Austin 1,320/11, S. Rice 1,312/8, Wayne 1,264/10.Welker has never, I repeat NEVER, had a double digit TD season. As a matter of fact most seasons have not even been close. He's been a compiler of catches mainly and yds as a result because of friendly situations. IMO he's only been the best WR on his own team once. Even then he wasn't the best receiving option, Gronk was.

Quit frankly I think he's been one of the most overrated WRs of the past 5 years or so, not underrated. Maybe underrated from a fantasy sense, but not at all from a true football sense.
:goodposting:

This is not a close call at all, as of today. And it seems pretty unlikely that he will perform well enough for long enough going forward to make it a close call.

He has a LONG way to go. If you really think Welker qualifies then do you also think Brandon Marshall qualifies? In two less years in the league he has almost the same number of receptions and more TDs.

If Super Bowls don't matter, why are Michael Irvin, John Stallworth, and Lynn Swann in the HOF?
In the case of Swann and Stallworth, the game was so different that you couldn't just look at huge catch and yardage stats. Their stats are not great by today's standards but they were very good at the time.

One odd but true thing about hall of famers is the fans and press' dopey way of calling rookies the next soandso. Wes has that going for him and ya don't really hear that about players that were average.
On the one hand, there's an awfully big gap between being "better than average," and being HOF worthy.

On the other -- or perhaps the same -- hand, you mostly hear about people being the next Welker because they share the same position and skin color, not because he revolutionized the position.

Other than usage volume that has scaled up radically in the last 25 years, I don't see anything in Welker's game I didn't in, say, Charlie Joiner's.

The most meaningful difference being that Charlie, when he retired, HAD done enough to stand out from every other possession receiver ever to play the game. Welker ain't gonna reach that plateau.

The gamut of opinions in this thread is narrow and ridiculous. How could anyone believe he wasn't?

Ive argued this before and a lot of people disagree out of principle, but IMO to be a hall of famer you have to be one of the best at what you do. Anyone that says Welker isn't one of if not the best possession receiver to play the game is crazy - and he has done so significantly undersized.
If he were the best long snapper, the best kicker, the best punter, the best return man, or the best special teams gunner, he wouldn't be making the HOF either. The HOF doesn't have a position listing for "possession receiver"; it only has one for "receiver", and Welker is not one of the best of his generation. There are several better receivers who have been waiting for HOF inclusion already, and there will be more by the time Welker retires. Tim Brown is a better version of Welker and he's not in, may not ever get in the way things are going.

If he were the best long snapper, the best kicker, the best punter, the best return man, or the best special teams gunner, he wouldn't be making the HOF either. The HOF doesn't have a position listing for "possession receiver"; it only has one for "receiver", and Welker is not one of the best of his generation. There are several better receivers who have been waiting for HOF inclusion already, and there will be more by the time Welker retires. Tim Brown is a better version of Welker and he's not in, may not ever get in the way things are going.
You're right about all those things, and all those things are dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread