What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s the Most Picks You’ve Had in the 1st Round, and How Did it Go? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Couple league-mates razzing me over owning half the 1st round in ‘23

i pointed out that another team has 5 in the 1st this year.  They’re just jelly. Told ‘em so.  :shrug:  

Curious: what’s the most 1st round picks you’ve had in any draft, and how did it work out for you? 

I had three in last years draft. Was able to snag Pitts and chase with two of them and used the 3rd first (1.08) to get Hurts and a 1st in ‘23. Then I traded Hurts around Halloween for another 1st in ‘23 which gives me (4) firsts in the ‘23 draft. I’ll answer this question more thoroughly after that draft, hopefully it turns out well!

I have 1.03, 1.05 and 1.08 in a 16 team league this year, most years I trade out for established assets, but this year I am hoping to try and package 1.03 and 1.05 for 1.01 to get Hall is he lands in the right spot, we shall see.. 

i pointed out that another team has 5 in the 1st this year.  They’re just jelly. Told ‘em so.  :shrug:  

Curious: what’s the most 1st round picks you’ve had in any draft, and how did it work out for you? 
I don't have an interesting answer personally but I don't see any issue with having a lot of 1st round picks assuming you have the roster spots to keep them all. I don't see an advantage in having six 1st round picks in year A vs three 1st round picks in year A and three 1st round picks in year B. The only thing separating them is the quality of the class and placement of the picks but is difficult to ever really know for sure. 

I don't have an interesting answer personally but I don't see any issue with having a lot of 1st round picks assuming you have the roster spots to keep them all. I don't see an advantage in having six 1st round picks in year A vs three 1st round picks in year A and three 1st round picks in year B. The only thing separating them is the quality of the class and placement of the picks but is difficult to ever really know for sure. 
I’m doing a somewhat unconventional rebuild of blowing my Team to smithereens. Thus the heckling. I expected it. lol 

I had three in last years draft. Was able to snag Pitts and chase with two of them and used the 3rd first (1.08) to get Hurts and a 1st in ‘23. Then I traded Hurts around Halloween for another 1st in ‘23 which gives me (4) firsts in the ‘23 draft. I’ll answer this question more thoroughly after that draft, hopefully it turns out well!
I love seeing this. That seems like an entirely positive experience. Several big hits, and a highly productive trade.
Much appreciated. 

Did a startup in 2016 in that DFWC contest(so big prize for winning overall, not just your league) with another teammate who also posts here, @Dez  We knew the 2017 draft looked promising and our goal in the startup was to collect as many 2017 picks as we could, goal was not so much ultimately winning the league as the overall championship. Dez did most of the legwork on the trades and deserves majority of the credit for the accumulation of picks  and were he'd know this information exactly as near as I can remember we had 8 first round picks in 2017 including the top 6 picks, also a  few very high seconds.  If anything I'm selling us a pick or two short.

How did it work? I recall taking Fournette, CMC, Mixon, Dalvin, Corey Davis and Mike Williams with the top 6 picks, Kamara in late one and Hunt in the early second.  Other stuff I can't remember, we might have used a pick or two to pick up Kelce in a trade.

Anyway we did not do much else right before or since that draft but that was enough to propel us on a few year run of winning the league but falling way short on goal of winning overall.

One league, quite a while ago, I think I had 8 1st round picks. Unfortunately it wasn’t a great draft class. Didn’t really matter as the league folded a year or two later. 

not my picks but the league I commish, one team did quite well last year. Players available twice, he netted Chase then traded him, drafted the other chase, then pitts, waddle, and smith.  Another team drafted pitts, Harris, Bateman and parsons with 4 1sts. The first team now has 7 of the first 17 players for this year’s draft. I’d expect him to trade out some for next year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 1.02, 1.08, 1.14, and 2.01 in the 20 draft.  The 1.01 went Edwards Helaire so I grabbed J Taylor at 1.02, a home run for sure.  I moved the 1.08 and the 2.01 for 1.06 (thinking there were 6 players in the top tier) and 2.06.  Dobbins, Swift and Lamb went next so I drafted Jeudy.  I really liked Jefferson and would have taken him at 1.08.  I then spent the 1.14 on Tua after debating between him and  Herbert.  Finally, I took AJ Dillon at 2.06 so that has been a decent 2nd round choice.

Hindsight, if I could have done it over: 1.02 Taylor, 1.08 Jefferson, 1.14 Herbert, and whoever at 2.01. 

By the way, I got the 1.02 from a guy in our league who loves the Chiefs.  I drafted Darwin Thompson in the 2nd round in '19 knowing he would want him.  Sure enough, after the draft he asked what it would cost for Thompson.  I told him next year's 1st that turned into the 1.02.  

Did a startup in 2016 in that DFWC contest(so big prize for winning overall, not just your league) with another teammate who also posts here, @Dez  We knew the 2017 draft looked promising and our goal in the startup was to collect as many 2017 picks as we could, goal was not so much ultimately winning the league as the overall championship. Dez did most of the legwork on the trades and deserves majority of the credit for the accumulation of picks  and were he'd know this information exactly as near as I can remember we had 8 first round picks in 2017 including the top 6 picks, also a  few very high seconds.  If anything I'm selling us a pick or two short.

How did it work? I recall taking Fournette, CMC, Mixon, Dalvin, Corey Davis and Mike Williams with the top 6 picks, Kamara in late one and Hunt in the early second.  Other stuff I can't remember, we might have used a pick or two to pick up Kelce in a trade.

Anyway we did not do much else right before or since that draft but that was enough to propel us on a few year run of winning the league but falling way short on goal of winning overall.
We had picks 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,13,14,15 (9 1st round picks and the top 3 picks in the 2nd round so a total of 12 of the top 15 picks including 1-6)

Our best finish was 4th place overall in 2018 (out of like 800 teams or something)  We even traded CMC away that year (his breakout season) and still finished 4th overall. 

We won the league championship 3 years in a row (2018, 2019 and 2020)

We had picks 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,13,14,15 (9 1st round picks and the top 3 picks in the 2nd round so a total of 12 of the top 15 picks including 1-6)

Our best finish was 4th place overall in 2018 (out of like 800 teams or something)  We even traded CMC away that year (his breakout season) and still finished 4th overall. 

We won the league championship 3 years in a row (2018, 2019 and 2020)
Inspirational. 

Can I ask how it was you managed to accumulate 9x 1sts, 12 of 15?

I forget what year it was, maybe 2014.  I entered a $750 FFPC startup draft and went full on rebuild immediately.  I had TEN future 1st round picks where I ended up with the top 6 picks in the draft, then four other 1sts.

I remember my first pick in the start up draft that year, somewhere around pick 23, was Kenny Britt.  

Even with that debacle, with all the 1sts, by year 3 of the league I went 13-0.  Sold the team a year later for almost 3 grand.  Fun times

Years ago (15 or so) I was in a 14 team dynasty and one dude had 9 first rounders. Took over a team and totally blew it up. Absolutely murdered the draft by getting Megatron,  Peterson,  Marshawn , Greg Olsen (he might not have been a first rounder). We still talk about it to this day. The only guy he wiffed on was JaMarcus Russell. 

Most I ever had was 5.

Never had a reason to do a rebuild.  Always a contender (pats self on back).  Most first rounders was two (last year).  In a SF had picks 1.03 (Najee) and 1.07 (Wilson - Fields, TL, and Lance gone already).  Ok with that so far.  

Never had a reason to do a rebuild.  Always a contender (pats self on back).  Most first rounders was two (last year).  In a SF had picks 1.03 (Najee) and 1.07 (Wilson - Fields, TL, and Lance gone already).  Ok with that so far.  
Ironically, my full rebuild was a perennial contender. I went to the playoffs 3 straight years, finishing 3rd, 2nd, 3rd. Cashed all 3 years.  I was cruising to the playoffs all 3 years, but while I was scoring 30-50 over “the field”, the teams that made it to the LCG were scoring 30-50 points more than I was.

The 2nd and 3rd years I was dealing from depth to get more top-end talent in effort to bridge that gap & “go for it!” trying to win a ‘ship. And I got a little older & thinner in the process.

So yeah - I blew it up, and managed to accumulate 6x 2023 1sts, likely 4 of the top 5, and 2.01 as well.

I found that I could get more value (in early 2021) by aiming for 2023. I also thought the ‘23 draft would be a deeper class. 

My approach isn’t “normal” and I’m not yet sure if I recommend it, but reading the stories in here I’m more optimistic. 

One thing I'd pass along if you are sitting on a ton of draft capital.

I heard Joe Banner say that when he was with the Eagles they did a study on teams with an abundance of picks and discovered that teams with a a bounty of picks tended to sale them far cheaper. After I heard him say that I realized I've seen teams do that in fantasy as well and I've been guilty of it at times myself. Just something to keep in mind.

Had 4 picks in 2011.  Andrew Luck stayed in college (never happens) & the top 2 RBs had knee injuries.  Since WRs are easy to find in my league, I took 3 or 4 QBs, hoping one would turn out. None did.  (Gabbert, Locker, et al)

I have 1.01, 1.09, 2.01, 2.04, 2.09 this year.   Want to trade one or two to get a somewhat proven WR, but no one wants this years picks.   I like my options this year at 1.01, Hall or any of 2-3 WRs, depends on landing spots.   I've never had 1.01 before, I am excited!  🙂

One thing I'd pass along if you are sitting on a ton of draft capital.

I heard Joe Banner say that when he was with the Eagles they did a study on teams with an abundance of picks and discovered that teams with a a bounty of picks tended to sale them far cheaper. After I heard him say that I realized I've seen teams do that in fantasy as well and I've been guilty of it at times myself. Just something to keep in mind.
That jives with my experience buying them up. In 2021 people were more likely to give me a 2023 pick than a top player. I had the picks valued higher on almost every deal.  Worked for me. 

One note about NFL picks vs FF picks though - we’re not drafting OL or DBs. I’m very unlikely to take a defensive lineman in a non-IDP league. 

Probably narrows the bust rate a little bit comparatively, too. 

Had 4 picks in 2011.  Andrew Luck stayed in college (never happens) & the top 2 RBs had knee injuries.  Since WRs are easy to find in my league, I took 3 or 4 QBs, hoping one would turn out. None did.  (Gabbert, Locker, et al)
I was waiting for cautionary a tale like this. Sorry to hear but good to know. 

I have 1.01, 1.09, 2.01, 2.04, 2.09 this year.   Want to trade one or two to get a somewhat proven WR, but no one wants this years picks.   I like my options this year at 1.01, Hall or any of 2-3 WRs, depends on landing spots.   I've never had 1.01 before, I am excited!  🙂
Good luck! I think Hall is clearly the pick - the landing spot does matter, but it’d be very difficult for me to pass up Hall vs “the field” regardless. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I was waiting for cautionary a tale like this. Sorry to hear but good to know. 
Looking back, it showed how I could buy into a strategy instead of just taking BPA.  I outsmarted myself as I am prone to do. 

Looking back, it showed how I could buy into a strategy instead of just taking BPA.  I outsmarted myself as I am prone to do. 
I’m going to approach with BPA for sure. 

It’s really tempting to say, “well I really need RB, so I should take Bijan & Gibbs with 2 of those 1-2-3 picks” (if I get them) 

But the smart play in SF is to take Bijan + the top 2 QB, then flip one for a RB, or take RBs with the presumed ~5th or ~8th or ~10th picks. There are quite a few I like this year. And I still might take a JSN at ~5 if that opportunity presents.

Going to need to do a lot of research before the draft to really establish my draft sheet for ‘23, but yeah - gonna try hard to ignore “need” in favor of BPA. 

Owned the 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 in my first ever dynasty (1QB) rookie draft in 2019.   Absolute disaster.   That draft class, along with my draft position and team strengths/weaknesses and my own inexperience couldn't have worked out worse.

D. Henderson, Darwin Thompson, and Mecole Hardman.

Still carrying DH, Thompson cut long ago, maybe salvaged 25% of Hardman's draft capital value in a package deal for Hockenson last season.   This was all very much a product of drinking the Kool-Aid on a Mahomes trajectory to greatest QB of all-time after his breakout year.   Knew that Hardman and especially Thompson were big reaches at those spots based solely on the talent.    But after soaking up 50TDs, I was not going to miss my ticket to the heir apparent to the Ty Hill role, even if it was poorer man's version.   I figured Hardman's floor would be fantasy relevant WR3/WR4 with all kinds of upside.   I was in full acceptance that DT might turn out to be a laughable, wasted pick given the 6th round pedigree.   I was in strong need of RB and given the poor alternatives I decided that I was completely  unwilling to miss out on the Brian Westbrook / late round SOD hype.  Not after seeing what a supposedly talentless Damien Williams was able to do in that offense.

AJ Brown came around to me at 3.02 to completely rescue this disaster of a draft.   To this day, I lie to myself and view it as trading 3 late 1sts in a weak draft for AJB.   Of the guys I passed on at 1.09, Kyler Murray was the one that I really hated to let go.   But with Mahomes in a 1QB league, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on a guy that would be nothing more than a future trade chip.   I didn't like what I was reading on DK Metcalf's lack of nuance and route running.   A physical specimen without any polish.   Deebo, somewhat limited upside worth looking at in the 2nd but not worthy of a 1st.     What could have been.   A lot of lessons learned the hard way in that draft.      

Users who are viewing this thread