What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s worse….a soccer match ending 0-0 or a twelve round boxing match going to decision? (1 Viewer)

My wife got mad when I said there's plenty of men's college teams that would beat the women's team.
Wait until she finds out that the Dallas FC under-15 boys team beat them 5-2. It's was a warm-up/friendly/practice but this sort of thing has happened several times before too IIRC.

My wife got mad when I said there's plenty of men's college teams that would beat the women's team.
Wait until she finds out that the Dallas FC under-15 boys team beat them 5-2. It's was a warm-up/friendly/practice but this sort of thing has happened several times before too IIRC.
Eh, not for real games are tough to gauge. Didn't the Dream Team lose to college players in a scrimmage?
That said.....I'm gonna use that info

Eh, not for real games are tough to gauge

Dude, no offense, but your wife is stupid about this. And saying "not for real games" is just encouraging her.

High school teams beat the women's World Cup team in the run-up to the first women's World Cup. Because male high school players are better.

I didn't get married to a girl specifically because she was stupid about issues like these. It made life impossible. Good luck convincing her, it's the dirtiest secret in Dirtyville. See the Ronda Rousey threads for how men carry water for women in this way.

It's stupid.

And like others in the thread have said, 0-0 and a decision can be a sign of gladiators just not cracking, not ineptitude. Sometimes you just don't mess up and are so tactically sound or willful that nobody beats the other.

That said, this is an inapt analogy. You should have asked if a decision draw was decided. Some guy could knock a guy down four times in the fight, be clearly the better fighter, and win the decision. 0-0 is a little trickier because nobody even lands a blow and it's a tie.

I can think of nothing that is worse than watching a 90 plus minute sporting event where neither team scores a point.
Such an odd take that I will never understand. A 0-0 game is a tie game that can more often than not be incredibly tense and exciting to watch. For every goal, there could be an equal amount of incredible saves or defensive plays. It’s the 3-0 games that I tend to lose interest in. A 0-0 soccer game is not the equivalent of the Jets playing the Texans on a Thursday night.

Also, the number of commercial timeouts in American sports is ridiculous now. A team scores, commercial timeout. Then they kickoff, another timeout. On and on. It’s terrible. Give me a 0-0 soccer game every time.

Boxing matches that go that long are boring. I've always thought boxing matches shouldn't go past about 7 rounds.
That's coming from someone that grew up boxing and coaching boxing.

0-0 soccer matches can be outstanding.

Don’t watch soccer, but from a distance it seems like many games end 0-0. Is there any other sport with such a high percentage of scoreless ties?
Seven percent of all games end 0-0 - That's approximately one 0-0 result for every 14 to 15 games played. When you consider that a normal Premier League weekend contains 10 fixtures, then you can almost expect one of those fixtures to be a 0-0, or at least on average you will see two 0-0 results for every three match days played (30 games).

What is surprising about these 0-0 statistics is how consistent the number of 0-0 results is between leagues.

Across all games played in these 5 top European leagues over the past 3 full seasons, out of 5377 games, 359 were 0-0s! That's an overall average of 6.68%.
Some obscure leagues on this gambling site end in a scoreless tie 20+% of the time!

Last edited:
I don’t really mind either scenario that much. A 0-0 soccer match implies that the game could have been won by either side for its entire duration. It means it was competitive the entire way through. Same with the boxing scenario. If a fight goes into a decision—I think it implies that it was a close fight. I’d rather have close competition than a super early/quick blowout or knockout.

Soccer uses points where a win is 3 points, and a draw is 1 point to try to encourage more goals.

I can think of nothing that is worse than watching a 90 plus minute sporting event where neither team scores a point.
A 3-0 football game is way worse than 0-0 soccer. Also as mentioned the lopsided college games like Alabama-Austin Peay.

Also, 0-0 soccer is more interesting than many (most) NBA games. :mellow:

Such an odd take that I will never understand. A 0-0 game is a tie game that can more often than not be incredibly tense and exciting to watch. For every goal, there could be an equal amount of incredible saves or defensive plays. It’s the 3-0 games that I tend to lose interest in. A 0-0 soccer game is not the equivalent of the Jets playing the Texans on a Thursday night.

Also, the number of commercial timeouts in American sports is ridiculous now. A team scores, commercial timeout. Then they kickoff, another timeout. On and on. It’s terrible. Give me a 0-0 soccer game every time.
You probably have something here. Going forward instead of showing the successful scoring plays we should replay just the plays that failed and were defended well by the cornerback or when the RB was stuffed.

You probably have something here. Going forward instead of showing the successful scoring plays we should replay just the plays that failed and were defended well by the cornerback or when the RB was stuffed.
Billions of people think you are wrong. Think about it. America is the only country that has such a hard on for number of points scored. Perspective is a neat thing.

I’m currently watching a 1-0 soccer game, and with the number of scoring chances happening right now, it’s extremely exciting. The opinion that number of points somehow equals excitement or quality of play is objectively wrong.

The opinion that number of points somehow equals excitement or quality of play is objectively wrong.

This is illuminating.

I think it's more reasonable to accept some people value things differently than other people.

I know lots of people who tie points scored to how much they enjoy a game or the experience. I may not agree with them. But I'm willing to accept they have a different opinion. :shrug:

Billions of people think you are wrong. Think about it. America is the only country that has such a hard on for number of points scored. Perspective is a neat thing.

I’m currently watching a 1-0 soccer game, and with the number of scoring chances happening right now, it’s extremely exciting. The opinion that number of points somehow equals excitement or quality of play is objectively wrong.
It isn't about points scored, it's about declaring a winner. Generally in football, baseball, basketball......the team who plays better wins. With more opportunities for points, this becomes more clear as to who is playing better and deserves to win.
A soccer game can be totally one sided yet that team loses 1-0. Or it ties at 0-0. In fact this happens a lot.
Is great action AND the team that plays better wins the game too much to ask?

The main thing that I think non-soccer fans don’t “get” is that fans of soccer enjoy the performance and the art almost as much as the goals. It’s a tad unique in sports, especially when compared with football, basketball and baseball (to a lesser degree, as folks enjoy great pitching). Virtually nobody is saying - my god, did you see the footwork and balance from that offensive lineman on that play!! But similar happens in every match for soccer people.

And by “get”, I’m not saying they don’t understand the idea but rather they don’t have the same level of appreciation and enjoyment.

What's worse is my wife and daughter are both convinced the US women's team would beat the men's team in soccer.
I can't unconvince them. My wife got mad when I said there's plenty of men's college teams that would beat the women's team.

Plenty? I would bet all D1 teams would beat the women's team, maybe all D2s. And I am the father of female athletes.

Just physically different makeups. As we have seen when a low level man swimmer dominated the best females and broke records in NCAA swimming.

The opinion that number of points somehow equals excitement or quality of play is objectively wrong.

This is illuminating.

I think it's more reasonable to accept some people value things differently than other people.

I know lots of people who tie points scored to how much they enjoy a game or the experience. I may not agree with them. But I'm willing to accept they have a different opinion. :shrug:
Normally I would agree about opinions, but this is literally the entire world vs an opinion held solely by the USA. There’s simply so much more that makes a sporting event exciting than the numbers on the scoreboard. This is especially true in soccer. Because the scores are so low, every scoring chance gets you out of your seat.

It’s like the metric system. I don’t know if we as a country have a certain amount of arrogance or what when it comes to these things, but I think the soccer opinions are way off.

This is illuminating.

I agree. I am more fascinated as to why soccer is always brought up in these type of threads. Who cares who likes what? Enjoy what ever sport you like. The weird jealously that some people have that they don't enjoy soccer and can't understand why anyone else could is so odd to me.

I could not even imagine starting a thread, that would likely go on forever, entitled "Tell me all the things that suck in baseball". I don't like the sport, so I don't bother. It feels like the ever dwindling numbers of people who don't like soccer are almost threatened by its continual growth in the US.

To a non-fan, a 0-0 game with 4 shots on target does little for me. Too many times teams sit on a draw as it benefits them.

The commercials part is a valid point. I watched the NFL games in England on UK TV to see how it was broadcast. They don’t show commercials like here, the coverage goes back to the studio while the pic is surrounded by an advertisement.

What's worse is my wife and daughter are both convinced the US women's team would beat the men's team in soccer.
I can't unconvince them. My wife got mad when I said there's plenty of men's college teams that would beat the women's team.

Plenty? I would bet all D1 teams would beat the women's team, maybe all D2s. And I am the father of female athletes.

Just physically different makeups. As we have seen when a low level man swimmer dominated the best females and broke records in NCAA swimming.

it is significantly more than the underlined.

I don't think people know that what is considered the best women's team in the world over the past decade, the USWNT, always plays against regular male high school teams and almost always loses. These are not college level players, or young academy level players, just regular high school kids who have almost no future in the sport beyond high school.

When they play better competition against males, like playing say the better academy teams in an area, they have to go down in age. As some one mentioned earlier, they got smoked by an U15 team FC Dallas team (this is much younger than a high school team, but most of these kids are on tracts to be college players and a remote few will be pros). The best in the world lost to 13-14 year olds who are no where near their full athletic development yet.

And yes these are scrimmages but the reason they continue to schedule these type of games is that they know it is the best way they can prepare for playing against the other best adult women on the planet.

Last edited:

This is illuminating.

I agree. I am more fascinated as to why soccer is always brought up in these type of threads. Who cares who likes what? Enjoy what ever sport you like. The weird jealously that some people have that they don't enjoy soccer and can't understand why anyone else could is so odd to me.

I could not even imagine starting a thread, that would likely go on forever, entitled "Tell me all the things that suck in baseball". I don't like the sport, so I don't bother. It feels like the ever dwindling numbers of people who don't like soccer are almost threatened by its continual growth in the US.
I haven’t watched a second, doubt I will. It does seem like it’s “forced” on us, kind of like the Olympics. I see both sides of it, I just leave it be.

This is illuminating.

I haven’t watched a second, doubt I will. It does seem like it’s “forced” on us, kind of like the Olympics. I see both sides of it, I just leave it be.

What does "forced" mean? The US TV rights are in the Billions of dollars. The US tv audiences are in the multi millions.

In what way is a TV station who is drawing in a ton of viewers to the game to help pay for the massive TV contract forcing anyone to watch?

Does the NBA force you to watch because they televise games? Does the NFL?

I don't watch a minute of the Olympics and have never felt forced to.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. There are literally endless choices on American tv. I can't in anyway see how any one could ever be forced to watch something they don't want with the amount of choices we have.

Last edited:

This is illuminating.

Number of soccer writers in my Twitter feed during the season complainIng about the NFL: zero.

It's not the footie fans who need to understand people have different opinions.

So much this, especially in soccer as the defense clamps down and pace slows. Some of the best games I've seen are 0-0 games.

Dead on about the commercials. I can't stand watching football anymore. 10sec play (if you are lucky), long wait, 10csec play, commercials break, come back- still in review, go to commercials. Yes I am being hyperbolic, but after it became more and more obvious how little action there is in a football game, it was less enjoyable to watch.

How much would the game change if you made the goals 50% bigger?
You want a goal 12x36 instead the current 8x24? Aim high no one can guard it
Teams would have to guard differently.

Well that is the understatement of the year :)

From a practical standpoint, about 20 years ago, enlarging the goals (slightly, not 50%) was considered briefly by FIFA and even tested in some lower leagues. One of the results of the study though was that it was going to be infeasible financially to replace every single goal in the world (I can't even imagine how many goals there are in the world, it has to be astronomical).

So much this, especially in soccer as the defense clamps down and pace slows. Some of the best games I've seen are 0-0 games.

Dead on about the commercials. I can't stand watching football anymore. 10sec play (if you are lucky), long wait, 10csec play, commercials break, come back- still in review, go to commercials. Yes I am being hyperbolic, but after it became more and more obvious how little action there is in a football game, it was less enjoyable to watch.

I was at a watch party for the US game yesterday. There were about 20 people there total. I watch Patriot games with this same group. No one in the group moved for the entire first half. All eyes on the screen. For the Patriots game, it is like grand central station of people getting up, moving around, talking, getting food, going to the bath room, because there is so much dead time to fill.

I am not saying one is better than the other, but the contrast was stark.

And there may be nothing more exciting than a 0-0 play-off hockey game as it heads to OT. One difference is pace of play as teams can and do race down the ice. In the early rounds of the World Cup format, one can see why there is no need to have a "winner".

I happen to enjoy the pace and strategy of a soccer match., fascinated by how and why they move the ball the way they do. Definitely a different game with points at a premium... No one blinked when the Lions scored early against the Bills. An early goal by the US may have changed the way the game was played. Wanted to toss my drink when the US committed a needless penalty in the final minute.

To a non-fan, a 0-0 game with 4 shots on target does little for me. Too many times teams sit on a draw as it benefits them.

The commercials part is a valid point. I watched the NFL games in England on UK TV to see how it was broadcast. They don’t show commercials like here, the coverage goes back to the studio while the pic is surrounded by an advertisement.
Sign me up for that last part.

Users who are viewing this thread