What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What 2nd year WR breaks out? Jeffery? Floyd? Wright? (1 Viewer)

death of the cool

Footballguy
I think there is some great value late in the draft with 2nd year WR's. Many of them are bunched together with ADP's in the 10th and 11th round. Odds are that at least one of them goes from afterthought to an every week starter in fantasy. Here is my list:

1. Alshon Jeffery (current ADP 11.06)- Has the talent, size, speed, opportunity, and QB to break out. He will always be 2nd fiddle to Brandon Marshall, but Marshall will also take the coverage away from him allowing 1 on 1 coverage. I'm interested to see how the Bears new offense involves Jeffery. I can't imagine the offense will be as focused on Marshall as it was in 2012. Another major key will be health. Alshon was banged up much of last year.

2.Josh Gordon (current ADP 8.12)- This guy had a very nice season last year, and should be the #1 on his team...so why don't I have him #1? Red flags and value. He is already suspended for 2 games that cuts his numbers. He is dealing with a knee problem early in camp, and we have already heard about him being late to the 1st meeting and not giving his best effort in camp...and we are a week in. You also have to spend a pick in the 8th round to get him, a full 2 rounds higher than the other guys on this list. I like the kid, and he has already shown that he can put up numbers with Weeden throwing him the ball, but I'm not sure he can be trusted.

3.Micheal Foyd (current ADP 10.07)- Has the talent and now has a QB that can make him fantasy relevant. He is in a battle for the 2nd WR spot with Andre Roberts, so he is no guarantee to be a starter. He also will see lots of 1 on 1 coverage with Fitzgerald opposite of him if he is the starter, however this offense's potential lowers him a bit...I don't like the OL or running game.

3.Justin Blackmon (current ADP 10.11) He of course would be higher without the 4 games suspension, but he could turn into a 2nd half gem for people that are willing to wait. Gabbart at QB puts a cap on his potential as well as Shorts breakout last year.

4.Kendall Wright (current ADP 13.02) He is more of a slot guy, but had a solid rookie season. Has to compete with Britt, Washington, and rookie Justin Hunter for targets.Locker needs to step up and be more consistent for any type of breakout to happen.

5.Ryan Broyles (current ADP 11.02) Coming off an acl pushes him down the list. He does have the QB and opposite WR in Calvin to have a great opportunity to break out if he is back from the acl.

I'm a fan of all these guys to an extent. Gordon and Jeffery are my favorites, too; the former because his 2-game suspension dropped his ADP a couple of rounds, and the latter because he's the WR2 in a Trestman offense. I like him to top 800 yards with the potential for a lot more. I'd put Broyles next in line for excellence, but more by midseason.

Wright seemed misused last year--he was a do-everything threat in college, so why was he always catching little slants and dump offs in coverage--and so did Cook, so I'm interested to see what happens this year in Tennessee. Maybe they've got their heads on straight. I also like Emmanuel Sanders, whose stats I expect to be closer to Antonio Brown's than their respective costs suggest.

I'm actually so enamored of the mid-late round WR talent this year that I might go all-in and load up on RB, TE, and QB in one of my redraft leagues. If I could get a WR core of Mike Williams, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery, and Ryan Broyles--all potentially doable by ADP if I started in round 7--I'm pretty sure I'd end up with damn fine production at the position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually so enamored of the mid-late round WR talent this year that I might go all-in and load up on RB, TE, and QB in one of my redraft leagues. If I could get a WR core of Mike Williams, Michael Floyd, Josh Gordon, Alshon Jeffery, and Ryan Broyles--all potentially doable by ADP if I started in round 7--I'm pretty sure I'd end up with damn fine production at the position.
I'm with you on this....If you can hit with one of these late WR's while taking early RB's....you are sitting on a fantasy gold mine. We just have to pick the right WR...ol

We know what Gordon can do.

Floyd: Too many questions. Fantasy relevance but not a breakout.

Wright: Same as Floyd.

Broyles: Will never be able to command enough attention away from Calvin, Pettigrew and Bush.

Alshon: Same as Broyles.

So, of the group, there is only one guy that I can see as a difference maker this year (Gordon). The rest are siuational plays, nice upside guys down the road but I don't think I want any of them as my every week WR2.

Absolutely. I like the odds of, say, 2 of those 5-6 late rounds guys putting up WR2 numbers. Only have to hit on a few to win.

So, of the group, there is only one guy that I can see as a difference maker this year (Gordon).
Interesting. All have question marks except the receiver whose offense generated 16 passing TD's last year. Don't get me wrong, I'm with ya on Gordon's talent, but you might be overestimating his situation. Re: Broyles, for fantasy purposes you don't need to steal looks from Calvin and Bush when your QB attempts 650 passes.

: Broyles, for fantasy purposes you don't need to steal looks from Calvin and Bush when your QB attempts 650 passes.
This is what I'm thinking, too. In PPR, this offense will be able to support two quality WRs and if any WR really emerges opposite Calvin, they can be fantasy gold. I'm not sold that it's Broyles yet, but I definitely see the potential as he seems to be very good complement to Calvin.

If Broyles is healthy I like him and Floyd. I understand the Jeffery love but I am not a fan and don't see that offense supporting 2 receivers for fantasy

If Broyles is healthy I like him and Floyd. I understand the Jeffery love but I am not a fan and don't see that offense supporting 2 receivers for fantasy
I've attempted to acquire Jeffery in every league. He looks lighter/quicker/more effort in camp this year

I've attempted to acquire Jeffery in every league. He looks lighter/quicker/more effort in camp this year
That is all fine and well but is Cutler going to lose his man crush on Marshall? Are the Bears going to suddenly throw the ball a lot more? I don't know the answers to these questions but my first instincts say no they won't.

That is all fine and well but is Cutler going to lose his man crush on Marshall? Are the Bears going to suddenly throw the ball a lot more? I don't know the answers to these questions but my first instincts say no they won't.
Adding an offensive minded HC that has a history of favoring the pass points my guess in the other direction. Granted Forte/M. Bennett could steal targets as well, but I think Emery/Trestman like taller targets...meaning slot Earl Bennett might not see many.

I know it's early, but following the tweets, Jeffrey has been the star of Bears camp so far. As mentioned above, the key will be whether Trestman can get Cutler to follow the game plan rather than locking onto Marshall every play.

I'm saddened to learn Floyd is not the clear #2 in Arizona.
He's been running as the clear #2 WR.

If you think Housler may out-perform him as the #2 receiving option (I don't), you may be right. But he's clearly ahead of Andre Roberts as the #2 WR..

So, of the group, there is only one guy that I can see as a difference maker this year (Gordon).
Interesting. All have question marks except the receiver whose offense generated 16 passing TD's last year. Don't get me wrong, I'm with ya on Gordon's talent, but you might be overestimating his situation. Re: Broyles, for fantasy purposes you don't need to steal looks from Calvin and Bush when your QB attempts 650 passes.
(KFFL)Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon (knee) was scolded during practice Monday, July 29, for not finishing plays or running after the catch. Gordon is battling patellar tendinitis, and perhaps was favoring his leg. However, he also has reportedly been the last receiver into position drills, and he has yet to work with QB Brandon Weeden and QB Greg Little after practice, despite the fact that Little and Weeden have worked on routes after every single session so far.(Web Site Link)

How bout Randle from the Giants. Got a ton of reps and impressed with his work ethic while Cruz and Nicks were no shows. Now Nicks is slowed again

C Givens of the Rams. Dudes is fast and Bradford has used his deep threats well in the past. Givens last year, M Clayton 3 years ago and DX at some point too

How bout Randle from the Giants. Got a ton of reps and impressed with his work ethic while Cruz and Nicks were no shows. Now Nicks is slowed again

C Givens of the Rams. Dudes is fast and Bradford has used his deep threats well in the past. Givens last year, M Clayton 3 years ago and DX at some point too
I like Randle's future, but Cruz and Nicks are clearly #1/#2 in the pecking order. It would take a multi-week injury by one of those two (which...is possible. Nicks has been slow to mend). LOVE Chris Givens. He's been overshadowed by the additions of Tavon and Cook but coming off a quietly solid rookie year.

Stephen Hill.

He had niggling injuries throughout the year in 2012 and should be healthy this season. Struggled with drops last season but hopefully Braylon "The Beard" Edwards can teach him a thing or two about becoming a top receiver with questionable hands. He is so quick and athletic - see Week 1 v Bills - that you can't ignore his talent. I think it comes together in the next 2 years (hopefully this year).

Users who are viewing this thread