What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What 5 NFL players would you take (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
If you could choose any five players to start an NFL franchise with, what players would you pick?I would go with:S Ed ReedLB Ray LewisT Jonathan OgdenQB Tom BradyRB L. Tomlinson

Same list, but sub Manning at QB and Moss at WR over T Ogden.OL is stupid important, but I'll build it after I have those guys. I'd be slightly worried about Ray Ray's age if starting a franchise, but I agree he's one of the three best LBs in the league right now and he'll make my defense go as much as Ed Reed will.

I'm assuming age is a concern here. I'll offer up a few teams depending upon what offensive/defensive philosophy you want to employ:Team #1VickMossTOR LewisE ReedVick doesn't need a great o-line and with two great WRs to 'throw it up to', his lack of accuracy is masked...and then his running ability can be used. I figured their D won't be great, but with that offense they'll just need to force some turnovers, so I went with big play guys on D.Team #2ManningLT2OgdenR LewisChamp BaileyManning doesn't require great WRs imo to be great. With LT2 and Ogden, their rushing attack is great, and their D should be solid with those two.Team #3BradyRay LewisChamp BaileyJ PeppersEd ReedThis is the ultimate defense coupled with a "manage the game" offense. Basically, I just picked my 4 best defensive players to go with Brady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Left Tackle is critical, but I'd go with Bryant Mckinnie. He is far younger than Ogden.LT Bryant MckinnieS Ed ReedQB Peyton ManningDE Julius PeppersWR Randy Moss

S Ed ReedWR Randy MossT Jonathan Ogden (not sure about Ogden though)QB P. ManningRB L. Tomlinson

If there's one of my 5 I'm not sure about, its Mckinnie. I have no doubts about the other 4, but perhaps I might not take a left tackle at all.

I'll give 2 lists:If I only care about making money, QB: Vick - there will be sellouts right away, not to mention Jersey salesS Ed ReedLB Ray LewisWR Randy MossDE Julius PeppersIf I only care about winningQB: Peyton ManningS Ed ReedLB Ray LewisRB TomlinsonDE Julius Peppers

dare to be different...QB Peyton ManningRB LaDainian TomlinsonCB Champ BaileySS Ed ReedLB Jonathan Vilma >> younger Ray Lewis perhaps?others.. DT Julius PeppersLB Ray LewisDE Dwight FreeneyWR Chad JohnsonSS Sean Taylor

LT Jonathan OgdenLG Alan FanecaC Matt BirkDE Jason TaylorDT Cornelius Griffin
:thumbup: Similar idea, build from the trenches, but I want some skill players first too.LT Jon OgdenDT John HendersonDT Kris Jenkins (4-3 D, I will not be run on up the middle)QB Peyton ManningRB LaDainian TomlinsonOthers worth mentioningDE Julius PeppersDE Dwight FreeneyLB Ray LewisS Ed ReedQB Daunte CulpepperRB Kevin JonesTE Tony Gonzalez

Peyton Manning, Ed Reed, Julius Peppers, a LT and a corner. I would probably pick Robert Gallery or McKinnie to go with the youth movement and Chris McAllister. I think Ray Lewis has lost a step this season and is nothing I would like to build on now. Randy Moss has issues not worth having in a franchise.

:thumbup: Similar idea, build from the trenches, but I want some skill players first too.
If I can't get a QB and RB to play well behind that line, they won't play well anymore. My 6th pick would be Randy Moss. If a QB can't live throwing to Moss behind the line I gave him well...

:thumbup: As the old saying goes: Run and stop the run. :oldschool:I would go:LT: A monster. Someone like Ogden, W. Jones...RT: Tait. Another monster. I'd go with stellar tackles as a foundation for my Oline. I could fill in later with some big guys at guard and get an intellegent center in the draft. The tackles would keep opposing DEs at bay and provide holes for the running game. The trenches is where its won and lost. DTs (2): Again, lots of beef. K. Williams, M. Stroud, Henderson, ... I would want two big run stuffers. You will not run up the middle on me. Having monsters up front will keep the Oline off my MLB. Williams will also help with the pass rush.DE: J. Pepper. Young and a monster. Combined with Williams, Pepper will provide QB pressure on the opposing QB. Going with glamour picks like Manning does no good if you can't protect them. Even great RBs have trouble when swarmed in the backfield (except for Barry Sanders).

If you could choose any five players to start an NFL franchise with, what players would you pick?I would go with:S Ed ReedLB Ray LewisT Jonathan OgdenQB Tom BradyRB L. Tomlinson
Ogden was dominated by Freeney this year, he's lost a step or Freeney should be in your list, one of the two.

Well, if I wanna win championships, my team would look something like this:Jonathan Vilma - (22 years old and already a stud)Ed Reed - playmaker, nuff saidDwight Freeney - singlehandedly gives a team a pass rushDunta Robinson - already showing signs of a shutdown corner and he's a rook.Michael Vick - need a playmaker on offense, he should be enough.This team would have a learning curve, but if I was starting a FRANCHISE, it would be with young defensive studs who in two to three years would mold into the best in the league. That and Vick would give me enough offense to win games with this D.

Being a Steeler fan and a 3-4 defense type of guy, I have to go with

-Casey Hampton NT (No better anchor for a 3-4 than this guy.)

-Ed Reed S (fighting the homer tendency to say Polamalau)

-Edit: Brian Urlacher replaces Dan Morgan ILB (Looking for guys younger than Lewis and Bruschi)

-Orlando Pace T (going against the youth theme and the strong up the middle theme, but tackles are more important than centers or guards, and every great tackle that I looked at had 7, 8, or 9 years of experience)

-Peyton Manning (As much as I want to say Brady (to win one game) or Big Ben (sentimental and young) here, his superiority is just unquestionable at this point. It's like having 2 offensive coordinators. I would still like him to put to rest the doubts about his big game ability, but not until next year.)

ManningTomlinsonWalter JonesReedPeppersI take Peppers ahead of Lewis mainly due to the age difference and the fact I think Lewis is slipping a bit. As much as I'd like to take Moss (or Owens or Harrison) at WR, I think if I have the standout QB and the standout RB, I can get by at WR until something better comes along.

LB UrlacherDE PeppersT OgdenQB BradyG FanecaI would be a run first, ball control, defensive minded team, with a QB who makes few mistakes and controls ths game.

Manning - Makes all the throwsMoss - Stretches the fieldOgden - Ever so important to protect the QB that doesn't move so well.Casey Hampton - Clogs the middle & shuts down the run.James Farrior - Yes this is a little homerism, but I wanted a dominate MLB & I think Ray is slowing down.I don't think there is a RB that would warrant a top 5 selection.

I think with the illegal contact rules, you need a top-flight passing QB. Manning or Brady would work here (I'm a Colts fan - so I'll say Manning). If I wanted to go younger, I'd go with Big Ben (Carson Palmer would be good, too, but he's not a top 5 player under 24 yet).I think you also need a top-flight LT to protect the QB. I guess Odgen is considered the best right now, but I'd rather have a young stud LT. I can't think of one now, so I'll have to pass on an LT here only because of that.Then, you need a top-flight DE - that is probably the engine of your passing D. Peppers probably would fit more defensive schemes than Freeney, so Peppers is the pick here.I'd also would love a DT/DE combo player - and there's a top-flight one out there - Richard Seymour. So far, I have Manning, Peppers and Seymour. Probably LT2 is the best (young) available player left in a position that I haven't picked, so I'll take him.5th is tough - I'd want to take the most dominant young player left regardless of position. There are no shut-down corners in the league right now - so I'm not taking a corner. There are young promising LBs - I'm not sure any of them are dominant. I know how good Ed Reed is...he makes plays better than anyone in the secondary right now. I'll take him.ManningPeppersSeymourLT2Reed

For the long term, I would go with a young wr over Moss or Owens. Andre Johnson or Roy Williams would be the pick.Others:qb Michael Vicks Ed Reedde Julius Pepperswr Andre Johnson or Roy Williamsde Dwight Freeney????I am not certain on Freeney and if I want two stud DEs. The dominant OT are getting up there in age (Ogden, Jones). RB have shorter careers, so I would probably go get one in the draft.

I'll take:Peyton ManningRandy MossJulius PeppersJohn HendersonBryant McKinnieManning and Moss on offense would be just a killer combination, and I want a LT to cover Peyton's blindside. Henderson and Peppers would be enough to slow down the run and make for a hell of a pass rush. And all of these guys are relatively young, and don't have much of an injury history.

What are the positions that are hardest to fill in the NFL? Where are the big bucks spent? Thats where I'd go with my five players.QB - ManningLT - Walter JonesDE - PeppersCB - Bailey or McAllisterDT - Jenkins or SeymourIt is hard to leave off LT2 and a WR. If Moss' character were better, he would probably be put in above the DT position.

Peppers - Is the vick of his position. An athlete without peer. Gallery - Young, dominant 15 years LTMarcus Stroud - The best run stuffing DT in the game. A Packer OL said better that Warren Sapp in his primeS. Taylor - See Peppers. Manning - The brain to direct the body. Priorities: 1. Stop the run.2. Get pressure with front 4.3. QB that makes skill positions players better.

QB-P. ManningWR-Javon WalkerDE-FreeneyLT-McKinnieRB-LT2Have the three Offensive Triplets, a stud LT, and start building your DEF with a stud DEor...this oneDE-FreeneyDE- PeppersMLB-VilmaSafety-Ed ReedQB-P. ManningManning can elevate the play of all his cast, so beef up on DEF and compliment Manning on Offense.

I can't see why anyone would take a DT here. It's a lot easier to find a quality DT than it is to find a quality defensive end. And while Ed Reed is a great player, I'd rather have a team with a great rush because that will make up for lack of quality on the entire rest of the defensive team.So I'd go with:PeytonPeppersFreeneyMossLTHad a hard time taking Moss and LT over O-linemen. But with a RB who can gain 1600 yards even when his O-line sucks, and a WR who commands a double team and can still beat you, I think I could put together a good enough O-line to win.

:thumbup: As the old saying goes: Run and stop the run. :oldschool:I would go:LT: A monster. Someone like Ogden, W. Jones...RT: Tait. Another monster. I'd go with stellar tackles as a foundation for my Oline. I could fill in later with some big guys at guard and get an intellegent center in the draft. The tackles would keep opposing DEs at bay and provide holes for the running game. The trenches is where its won and lost. DTs (2): Again, lots of beef. K. Williams, M. Stroud, Henderson, ... I would want two big run stuffers. You will not run up the middle on me. Having monsters up front will keep the Oline off my MLB. Williams will also help with the pass rush.DE: J. Pepper. Young and a monster. Combined with Williams, Pepper will provide QB pressure on the opposing QB. Going with glamour picks like Manning does no good if you can't protect them. Even great RBs have trouble when swarmed in the backfield (except for Barry Sanders).
I like these picks. I'd want monsters in the trenches too.

I can't see why anyone would take a DT here. It's a lot easier to find a quality DT than it is to find a quality defensive end.
There are always plenty of DT busts or DT's who fall short of expectaions from every draft. It can be a real tough position to scout going from college to pro.I'd also take O-lineman over offensive skilled positions as well. I think it's easier for the line to make the RB and QB look good than it is for the QB and/or RB to make the line look good. Having a good systems in place for both the O and D line is equally important.

Offense:ManningChad JohnsonWith the top young WR in the game and Manning's quick release, the need for top talent on the OL is lessened. OLT would be my first draft pick though.Defense:Ed ReedJulius PeppersChris McAllisterIn this day of the NFL, the highest priority for a defense is stopping the pass. These 3 give me the best shot to accomplish that, although Peppers over Freeney was close.

Jumping on late here, but assuming 2 things:

1) We're talking current age (not in their primes) AND

2) Salary cap rules don't apply?

If that's the case:

Walter Jones, LT

Robert Gallery, RT
Peyton Manning, QB
Julius Peppers, DE
Richard Seymour, DE/DT

E. ReedS. TaylorR. LewisK. WinslowB. McKinnieHonorable Mention:Phillip BuchanonVernon CareyNajeh DavenportKen DorseyJeff FeaglesBubba FranksJoaquin GonzalezJamaal GreenEdgerrin JamesAndre JohnsonWilliam JosephAndre KingKenard LangDamione LewisEarl LittleNick LucheyDarrell McCloverJerome McDougleWillis McGaheeDan MorganSantana MossBrett RombergWarren SappJeremy ShockeyDarrin SmithDuane StarksVinny TestaverdeJonathan VilmaReggie WayneVince WilforkAndrew WilliamsD.J. WilliamsHmmm....Maybe R. Moss also

QB-ManningDT-Kevin Williams-best DT in the NFL right now.CB-Champ BaileyCB-Chris McAllisterOLB-Julian Peterson

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Roethlisberger at qb - if we're playing for the future here. Manning will be heading into his 8th season and Duante his 7th next year.....

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Roethlisberger at qb - if we're playing for the future here. Manning will be heading into his 8th season and Duante his 7th next year.....
With Culpepper/Manning (the two you mentioned) you know what you are getting. Roethlisberger has played for one year at the pro level. He could, doubtful but possible, be a one hit wonder. Starting up a franchise with your choice of QB's that is a bit of a risk.

I'd have a tough picking between McNabb and Manning as my first pick because I believe QB is MOST important and they are in my eyes, far and away, the top two QB's in the league. McNabb's overall athletic abilities and running ability make him a good pick but I think at the end of the day, I've gotta go with Manning.After QB, you've got to give him a RB that can pound the ball and catch out of the backfield and can make his own oppurtunities in case he has to play behind a makeshift O-line for a few years... after that I build around a top defense because that's how you win champioships...QB- Peyton ManningRB- Ladanian TomlinsonMLB- Ray LewisDE- Dwight FreeneyFS- Ed Reed

With Culpepper/Manning (the two you mentioned) you know what you are getting. Roethlisberger has played for one year at the pro level. He could, doubtful but possible, be a one hit wonder. Starting up a franchise with your choice of QB's that is a bit of a risk.
Understood, but even if you could have exactly the 5 guys you want to start a franchise, I wouldn't expect them to be competitive for a few years - in which case it's possibly the guy you took for qb is now on the downside of his career if he's already been in the NFL for 7 seasons when you got him. That's how I was looking at it. In truth I doubt a qb would be in the 5 things I'd take to start a franchise - I'd probably focus on the lines on both sides of the ball first. Without a decent front, your franchise qb is going to paste anyway.

Peyton ManningRandy MossChad JohnsonLadanian TomlinsonTony GonzalezMy next spot would be left tackle.Who needs a defense?

Ogden was dominated by Freeney this year, he's lost a step or Freeney should be in your list, one of the two.
Ogden has had like 1 bad game in his 9 year career. 1. Culpepper2. Ogden3. Reed4. Peppers5. Ray Lewis

Users who are viewing this thread